Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...108109110111112113114115116117118...LastNext
Current Page: 113 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 19, 2017 22:02

I knew I'd regret it. Go back to how Keith used to answer questions about when an album is coming out. He'd say, "When it's done."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 19, 2017 22:02

IanBillen
Im saying right now I think the whole group is on board for finishing the album in 2018 and then releasing it some time that year ...

Cheers Ian, that's the hope - whether it's another covers album, an album made up of reworked tracks that date back 15 years or more (both of which Keith has suggested as a possibility), or maybe even an album of brand new originals. And whether it's in 2018 or 2019 (or beyond) is still anybody's guess at this point as there's no absolute timeline or deadline. With the UK tour on the horizon (hopefully), they have their work cut out for them. In the meantime, it's the Christmas Holidays and Keith is celebrating his birthday...maybe they'll get back at it come January?

Rocky Dijon
Go back to how Keith used to answer questions about when an album is coming out. He'd say, "When it's done."

Maybe the thread should be re-titled again to "Another Stones studio album...when it's done".

winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-19 22:07 by Hairball.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 19, 2017 22:13

"Universally Yours"

Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: blivet ()
Date: December 19, 2017 23:19

Hairball
They more than likely have TONS of stuff they could revisit, it's just a matter of agreeing and/or compromising on their varying visions for the direction of the new album.

Maybe not tons, but I have heard enough random unreleased bits and pieces from years ago to be convinced that they could cobble together a very good album out of that sort of thing if they wanted to.

The sticking point in my opinion is that it would be difficult for Mick and Keith to essentially come out and say that their unused ideas from days gone by are better that their newer stuff. Tattoo You was different in that polishing up some nearly finished old material was seen by the band as a way to get a record out quickly before an upcoming tour. To do something similar now would be an admission that the creative well has run dry.

Also, there is the fact that Jagger generally dislikes looking back. I just can't imagine him being very excited about getting together with his great friend Keith and finally making a finished song out of that riff from 1974.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 20, 2017 04:44

Hairball
IanBillen
Im saying right now I think the whole group is on board for finishing the album in 2018 and then releasing it some time that year ...

Cheers Ian, that's the hope - whether it's another covers album, an album made up of reworked tracks that date back 15 years or more (both of which Keith has suggested as a possibility), or maybe even an album of brand new originals. And whether it's in 2018 or 2019 (or beyond) is still anybody's guess at this point as there's no absolute timeline or deadline. With the UK tour on the horizon (hopefully), they have their work cut out for them. In the meantime, it's the Christmas Holidays and Keith is celebrating his birthday...maybe they'll get back at it come January?

Rocky Dijon
Go back to how Keith used to answer questions about when an album is coming out. He'd say, "When it's done."

Maybe the thread should be re-titled again to "Another Stones studio album...when it's done".

winking smiley

There's my cat. It's not going to be another covers album .. This time it's the originals. How do I know that.. lol Well I don't 'know' that grinning smiley ... But has been word all along that the album of originals is to come.
Blue & Lonesome was a spontaneous thing .. that occurred in three days one winter night. That came out of working on new material.

How good IS this material? Lets hope it's dayyyum good and worth the wait winking smiley !!

Heinz .. shed some light on this for us pleeaazze. smiling smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-20 04:45 by IanBillen.

Date: December 20, 2017 05:14

Yes Ian we hold out hope for a good album...maybe even great!
Some will say it's great without even hearing it, some will write it off as another total waste of time without hearing it, while some of us are optimistic it could be something worthwhile. I'm being hopeful based on what Keith gave us with Crosseyed Heart, and what the Stones as a band delivered with the B&L blues covers. Just my personal perspective, but they've kind of been on a winning streak if you consider the best of what both of those two have to offer. Then again, who knows which direction this thing will end up going - hopefully not south as they say. In the meantime, loads and loads of Stones music to enjoy...already a lifetime supply no matter which era(s) you prefer. thumbs up

Date: December 20, 2017 05:22

Hairball
Some will say it's great without even hearing it, some will write it off as another total waste of time without hearing it, while some of us are optimistic it could be something worthwhile. I'm being hopeful based on what Keith gave us with Crosseyed Heart, and what the Stones as a band delivered with the B&L blues covers. Just my personal perspective, but they've kind of been on a winning streak if you consider the best of what both of those two have to offer. Then again, who knows which direction this thing will end up going - hopefully not south as they say. In the meantime, loads and loads of Stones music to enjoy...already a lifetime supply no matter which era(s) you prefer. thumbs up

Yupp ... I agree on all accounts.

As per their expansive (... and unmatched) catalog ... I prefer Goats Head Soup and Now ...the treat... Blue & Lonesome during the winter months.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-20 05:23 by IanBillen.

Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 20, 2017 07:10

blivet
Also, there is the fact that Jagger generally dislikes looking back.

Unless on tour where he successfully regurgitates primarily 60s and 70s songs...

Rod

Date: December 20, 2017 08:09

IanBillen
Hairball

As per their expansive (... and unmatched) catalog ... I prefer Goats Head Soup and Now ...the treat... Blue & Lonesome during the winter months.

I'm currently listening to Crosseyed and Lonesome...what is that you ask?
I've combined the best three tracks from B&L (Just Your Fool, Ride 'Em on Down, and Hate to See You Go) with Crosseyed Heart in it's entirety, and it makes for an excellent "Stones" album.
Along with that, I've been listening to the London Years, Between the Buttons, Tattoo You, and Vredenburg live bootleg.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 20, 2017 18:53

A while back I made a Stones blues album/playlist/whatever going back to 1968 with Stray Cat Blues up to 2005's Back Of My Hand. It got updated with I'm Not Signifying. I didn't find any of the blues from the SOME GIRLS extra worthwhile.

My faves are Cook Cook, Fancyman, Stop Breaking Down and I'm Not Signifying.

I was quite pleased with BLUE AND LONESOME but was surprised, really, with how fast some of the tunes are.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 20, 2017 19:00

Thanks Hairball. You just gave me a great idea. I'm going to combine my favorites from B&L, CH and dare I say add Gotta Get A Grip. Should be interesting.

Date: December 20, 2017 19:29

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball

I'm currently listening to Crosseyed and Lonesome...what is that you ask?
I've combined the best three tracks from B&L (Just Your Fool, Ride 'Em on Down, and Hate to See You Go) with Crosseyed Heart in it's entirety, and it makes for an excellent "Stones" album.
Along with that, I've been listening to the London Years, Between the Buttons, Tattoo You, and Vredenburg live bootleg.

Nice ...very nice .. Good selection and definitely a winter mix. You asked 'what it was I was asking exactly?' ... Actually I wasn't really asking anything.. was simply saying my Stones preferences during the winter months.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-20 20:22 by IanBillen.

Date: December 20, 2017 20:07

frankotero
Thanks Hairball. You just gave me a great idea. I'm going to combine my favorites from B&L, CH and dare I say add Gotta Get A Grip. Should be interesting.

thumbs up

Careful with Getta Grip...not sure where it could fit in. Maybe at the end as a hidden track after a minute long pause. Not the worst tune ever, but might stick out like a sore thumb otherwise.
On second thought, there might be a slight similarity to Keith's Substantial Damage (listening to it now)...the shouting over a funky groove. But while SD has a raw guitar driven cacophony of a groove going on with a live band, Getta Grip suffers a bit from the clean production and sterility (drum machines, etc. and not so great lyrics)- like an early '90's Michael Jackson tune ala Black and White. But imagine Mick singing lyrics to Getta Grip over the Substantial Damage track...might have worked? Maybe someone will do a mashup of the two. Or Keith imagine mumbling/grunting Substantial Damage lyrics over the Getta Grip backing track? ....lol...nevermind.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 20, 2017 20:35

frankotero

Years ago I made a tape from Wandering Spirit songs, Keith' Cheap talking and Main Offender plus Ronnies' Slide on This, all from those years.
It really made a great tape! Still listen to it now and then.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 20, 2017 20:46

I try to defend mick because he gets a bad rap so often but when he says”some different sounding songs” or “things you wouldn’t expect from the Stones”- I cringe.
I get that Keith just recycles the same thing but at least it sounds like The Rolling Stones.that substantial damage song cracks me up-he’s playing the middle section of if you can’t rock me and yelling over it but at least with work it could’ve turned into something. But mick,for fcks sake-I remember when Aerosmith made a song called get a grip and thinking”that’s a pretty cliche title.it was 1990.
Mick doesn’t get that the things he wants to do are being done better and with more authenticity by much younger people every day.just make a damn Stones album,we don’t need some attempt at “taking the music in a new direction”that is just gonna fail anyway.
I think he’d find Keith would be willing to spend a lot more time with him if he did.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 20, 2017 22:33

lem motlow
I try to defend mick because he gets a bad rap so often but when he says”some different sounding songs” or “things you wouldn’t expect from the Stones”- I cringe.
I get that Keith just recycles the same thing but at least it sounds like The Rolling Stones.that substantial damage song cracks me up-he’s playing the middle section of if you can’t rock me and yelling over it but at least with work it could’ve turned into something. But mick,for fcks sake-I remember when Aerosmith made a song called get a grip and thinking”that’s a pretty cliche title.it was 1990.
Mick doesn’t get that the things he wants to do are being done better and with more authenticity by much younger people every day.that is just gonna fail anyway.
I think he’d find Keith would be willing to spend a lot more time with him if he did.

thumbs up thumbs up

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 20, 2017 23:04

lem motlow
Mick doesn’t get that the things he wants to do are being done better and with more authenticity by much younger people every day.just make a damn Stones album,we don’t need some attempt at “taking the music in a new direction”that is just gonna fail anyway.

For there to be at least one, who disagrees about no interest present to hear stuff that will be new for the Stones to do (and it is not because I would be listening to the Stones exclusively).

thumbs down thumbs down thumbs down

Date: December 20, 2017 23:14

lem motlow

Jagger states he and Keith are listening to the same songs and sharing opinions, to me that's collaboration enough for me and a good sign. thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 20, 2017 23:23

Cant someone bring up again about how they hit a brickwall some time back ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 20, 2017 23:27

Rockman

In one way or another, every post on this thread is a demonstration of it.

Date: December 20, 2017 23:40

Rockman

That would be you....winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 20, 2017 23:43

sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

ROCKMAN

Date: December 21, 2017 01:11

Not sure if it was a 'brick' wall specifically...could have been drywall or a wood wall?
But whenever you mentioned that Rockman, I always thought you were referring to brickwalling the mix aka everything at the same loud volume .
Speaking of them hitting a wall though - I think it was Don Was who originally said that...or maybe Ronnie?
Hopefully they were able to put the wall back together again. thumbs up

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: December 21, 2017 02:32

Rockman

So far as I know they sampled the sound it made and used that in the intro of the opening track "Another Hit On The Wall" ...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 21, 2017 04:32

See I'd rather just discuss the new album under the pretense of discussing Mick's sex life in that other thread. It's all relative or will be when you finally hear new Stones songs.

Date: December 21, 2017 05:00

I read your comment in that other thread Rocky which helps to keep the hope alive and I wanted to reply, but thought it best to bring it back here in the proper thread.
After reading your reasoning it seems inconceivable that this new album could carry on beyond 2018 - you should repost it here.

But... (and to be sure I'm not questioning your wisdom and knowledge)... I don't think Don's recent remark to Dean Goodman was a public pronouncement, but a one on one "off the record" comment so to speak.

DeanGoodman
Unlikely next year, per Don Was. I asked him tonight at an event and he replied, "You probably won't see it in 2018." I didn't get the sense there was much progress or rush.

Of course I could be wrong and it was part of an interview to be published, or maybe a Q@A session with dozens of other reporters?
Anyhow, listening to the Stones' version of Harlem Shuffle right now...great cover and hope they add another great cover in the same vein to the new album. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-21 05:02 by Hairball.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 21, 2017 05:04

The band will try to get an album's worth of good songs to release, at least 15 songs are ready (except mixes) but not all the songs are that great according to some people, some GREAT songs in there but some UNEVEN stuff too, they're not so convinced so far.

13 years is a lot of time, the pressure must be very high to release something worth the wait, they don't want to release another Bigger Bang, 16-18 generic songs, they want something good this time.

Date: December 21, 2017 05:38

Thanks georgelicks - something tells me it will be worth the wait (fingers crossed), but I've been wrong before.
Another factor is the risk of second guessing and/or overworking something, and with so many cooks in the kitchen there must be some heated debates going on.

Reminds me of the quote:

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time,
but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”
- John Lydgate

Date: December 21, 2017 06:17

georgelicks
The band will try to get an album's worth of good songs to release, at least 15 songs are ready (except mixes) but not all the songs are that great according to some people, some GREAT songs in there but some UNEVEN stuff too, they're not so convinced so far.

13 years is a lot of time, the pressure must be very high to release something worth the wait, they don't want to release another Bigger Bang, 16-18 generic songs, they want something good this time.

Hopefully they reduce it to only 11 or 12 solid songs. >grinning smiley<

Date: December 21, 2017 06:44

Hairball
Not sure if it was a 'brick' wall specifically...could have been drywall or a wood wall?
But whenever you mentioned that Rockman, I always thought you were referring to brickwalling the mix aka everything at the same loud volume .
Speaking of them hitting a wall though - I think it was Don Was who originally said that...or maybe Ronnie?
Hopefully they were able to put the wall back together again. thumbs up

It was Don Was who said 'then we hit a brick wall'.

That statement ..of course .. was super blown out of proportion over and over here. I think it was a halt on 'one song' .. Don Was said ..Which spontaneously opened the door for the B&L three day excursion. They went right back to working on the material in that same two week session and a few times there after.

The whole 'hit a brick wall' thing was blown Waaaaay out of proportion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-21 06:48 by IanBillen.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...108109110111112113114115116117118...LastNext
Current Page: 113 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home