Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117...LastNext
Current Page: 112 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 19, 2017 06:10

IanBillen
DeanGoodman
IanBillen

Universal wants an album this year.. a new album of originals .. Im sure their contract stated a delivery year... doubt they would settle for 2019 with a band their age and being as they started the album in 2015.

The Stones aren't even a blip on the Universal radar. They're more interested in Greta Van Fleet (and a thousand other acts) - and finding the next Greta Van Fleet. Anyway 2019 is just 54 or so weeks away.

They paid them millions to deliver an album .. Record companies aren't the most charitable organizations on the planet. If they are paying for something.. (millions) .. even though it's The Rolling Stones ...they want to know when they will get it. Is to be next year. That is why The Rolling Stones lawyers and Universal execs and their lawyers met and signed off on.

Isn't a playground .. it's business.

It is highly unlikely that the Stones got the money. Record labels are banks: the money is a loan.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 19, 2017 06:47

GasLightStreet
IanBillen
DeanGoodman
IanBillen

Universal wants an album this year.. a new album of originals .. Im sure their contract stated a delivery year... doubt they would settle for 2019 with a band their age and being as they started the album in 2015.

The Stones aren't even a blip on the Universal radar. They're more interested in Greta Van Fleet (and a thousand other acts) - and finding the next Greta Van Fleet. Anyway 2019 is just 54 or so weeks away.

They paid them millions to deliver an album .. Record companies aren't the most charitable organizations on the planet. If they are paying for something.. (millions) .. even though it's The Rolling Stones ...they want to know when they will get it. Is to be next year. That is why The Rolling Stones lawyers and Universal execs and their lawyers met and signed off on.

Isn't a playground .. it's business.

It is highly unlikely that the Stones got the money. Record labels are banks: the money is a loan.

The advance is to pay for the recording of the record ...which is simply a loan to smaller acts. The smaller acts pay it off after the album is released out of their mechanical royalties. Then the band could make a profit once it is paid back. With large acts they get bonuses ..not advances (though NOTHING like they used to be) for singing deals. The record company also covers the cost of the recording. The producer takes points (percentages). Some times a flat rate is agreed upon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-19 06:48 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 19, 2017 08:19

If they are indeed bound by some contract that is forcing them to release an album (which seems questionable), and the Stones aren't happy with the results they've produced thus far with the original tunes, what would prevent them from taking the easy way out - Blue and Lonesome pt. II? With the success of B&L pt. I, I doubt Universal would have any complaints with a pt. II - they'd probably welcome it based on what they know of the Stones' most recent originals (the average Doom and Gloomand One More Shot) as well as the poor reception of Mick's Getta Grip/England Lost. While it wouldn't be a very creative endeavor, at least it would be a sure bet for Universal, for the Stones, and for many of the fans.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 19, 2017 08:44

I don't think millions of people would buy a second album of Chicago Blues covers.

Date: December 19, 2017 08:53

Probably not, but I don't think millions people would buy an album of originals either.
While personally not a huge fan of the BL blues covers, I thought it was their best album as a whole in decades and would welcome pt. II.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-19 08:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 19, 2017 09:03

DeanGoodman
IanBillen

Seems so lame. Shame on Universal and shame on the a Rolling Stones..thumbs down

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 19, 2017 09:53

Don't you guys get bored discussing nothing?????

And the beat goes on ...La de da de de, la de da de da

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 19, 2017 10:03

They're getting warmed up to start whining about the album when it finally comes out
Kind of like the tires on a dragster, they getting all wound up...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-19 10:03 by Leonioid.

Date: December 19, 2017 11:08

And then they'll go..

Date: December 19, 2017 11:35

Whooooooooo man look at the wall of that slick creasing ...^^^^^ ... wild !!

ROCKMAN

Date: December 19, 2017 12:20

DandelionPowderman
And then they'll go..

grinning smiley yup...
Just like they do for every other new album since... 1972.

On the other hand I love most songs on most Stones albums...
VL, B2B, BB... DW, U, ER, SG... I like em all... even Exile on Main Street and Stick Fingers!
I could put any one on right now and dig it! I am happy with my obviously bad musical tastes

I was just playing Bigger Bang yesterday! and I LIKE IT!!! like the back of my hand!

Date: December 19, 2017 12:34

Rockman
Whooooooooo man look at the wall of that slick creasing ...^^^^^ ... wild !!

Whooooo, indeed!
I am sure you know about that top fuel dragster tire "tech" break through rockeee...

(I think) it was major break through in 1/4 mile speed records...
Some genius figured out they could "rubber band" the tire and KABLANNNNGGG sling shot it off the line!!!

Or something like that... I could be mis-remembering... but I think I read that somewhere

Date: December 19, 2017 12:55

Yeah and screws thru rims into tire to prevent spinning in slick .... harness that torque babeeeeeeee .... hold that torque

ROCKMAN

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 19, 2017 13:06

well all this chitter chatter..

i Do believe the New album , it will be great. Even though Mick n'Keef (the Glimmer twins, remember) work apart. When they will reconvene next year, they will work on their songs together and it will be a good album. It wont be Great, it will be good. They know, it might be their last album, so there is likely to be some pressure upon them.

i think its good they take their time. they also want to be with heir loved ones. And.. they want their new baby to be Good for us, .

So.. dont be to harsh on Keef n Mick.!!!

One Love Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-19 13:08 by corriecas.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 19, 2017 13:58

Tonstone
Mojo magazine - Feb 2018 just arrived, There is an interview with MJ about On Air by Mark Paytress to which he set's the scene:- 'Mick Jagger is in Los Angeles about to spend the afternoon listening to Multitracks for the forthcoming as yet untitled Rolling Stones LP. - MJ "I have not heard it for a while, probably not since the Stones took of on tour earlier this summer. I'm gonna pick out the ones I really like and Keith will be listening to it too. Im in the process but not quite there yet".The article does not give a date.

Also Stones on cover and inside 10 page article on TSMR.
[www.mojo4music.com]

thumbs up

Date: December 19, 2017 14:00

Yay! thumbs up

Date: December 19, 2017 14:18

Cristiano Radtke
Tonstone
Mojo magazine - Feb 2018 just arrived, There is an interview with MJ about On Air by Mark Paytress to which he set's the scene:- 'Mick Jagger is in Los Angeles about to spend the afternoon listening to Multitracks for the forthcoming as yet untitled Rolling Stones LP. - MJ "I have not heard it for a while, probably not since the Stones took of on tour earlier this summer. I'm gonna pick out the ones I really like and Keith will be listening to it too. Im in the process but not quite there yet".The article does not give a date.

[www.mojo4music.com]

thumbs up

"Universal told me and the band it is a waste of time". BTW what summer tour is Jagger talking about?

Date: December 19, 2017 14:23

Maindefender
Cristiano Radtke
Tonstone

[www.mojo4music.com]

thumbs up

"Universal told me and the band it is a waste of time". BTW what summer tour is Jagger talking about?

Summer in Europe lasted until September 22, wasn't it? The No Security Tour started on September 9, when it was still summer in Europe.

Date: December 19, 2017 14:24

Maindefender
Cristiano Radtke
Tonstone

[www.mojo4music.com]

thumbs up

No rain, 15C and late September is as good as summer for a Londoner?

Date: December 19, 2017 15:15

Cristiano Radtke
Maindefender
Cristiano Radtke
Tonstone

[www.mojo4music.com]

thumbs up

Summer in Europe lasted until September 22, wasn't it? The No Security Tour started on September 9, when it was still summer in Europe.

Words without substance........

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 19, 2017 16:17

DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
Cristiano Radtke
Tonstone

[www.mojo4music.com]

thumbs up

Well, to this antipodean, this Mojo stuff all sounds like the record is actually closer than further away...

Rod

Date: December 19, 2017 17:34

bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
Cristiano Radtke
Tonstone

[www.mojo4music.com]

thumbs up

Well, to this antipodean, this Mojo stuff all sounds like the record is actually closer than further away...

Seems like a strange way to open an article .. If nothing is to come until a couple years? ... Or if the album is in doubts ... innit?

>>Explaining how you are sitting there with Mick Jagger while he is in process of selecting stuff for the "fourth coming" Rolling Stones LP... >> Opening paragraph .. first sentences no less.

Don Was is bluffing at nothing to come.. The album is still on plans for 2018.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-19 17:36 by IanBillen.

Date: December 19, 2017 17:47

IanBillen
bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
Cristiano Radtke
Tonstone

[www.mojo4music.com]

thumbs up

Seems like a strange way to open an article .. If nothing is to come until a couple years? ... Or if the album is in doubts ... innit?

>>Explaining how you are sitting there with Mick Jagger while he is in process of selecting stuff for the "fourth coming" Rolling Stones LP... >> Opening paragraph .. first sentences no less.

Don Was is bluffing at nothing to come.. The album is still on plans for 2018.

See here: [iorr.org]

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 19, 2017 18:16

They really do have the best PR people in the world

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 19, 2017 18:41

Lots of dark clouds in the sky lately here, so to say - especially the ones attributed to Don Was - but I wouldn't be so worried about it. Jagger's comment about "picking up the ones he really likes" and "Keith listening to it, too" sounds promising to my ears. That's a rather specific description by Jagger 'what's going on at the moment'. In order to pick up the ones he really likes entails that there is at least a certain amount of tracks 'in the can' by now. The future's uncertain and the death is always near, or what did Morrison once sing about, but of any person involved in Rolling Stones affairs, I always count mostly MIck Jagger's opinion as far as any pragmatic doings go. He doesn't reveal much generally, but whenever he does, the more it counts.

But what goes for the speculation that Universal would not be too excited about an album from these stoneage artists - I really disagree here. Someone is bluffing here. In today's dying business called the record industry, to have an product that attracts about mostly the 'old school farts' who are so ancient that they even not just buy an old entity called an album, but even buy a physical (expensive) copy of it, that's something they should die for at the moment. For example, I haven't checked the products by Universal, but I am rather sure there aren't many albums in their catalogue that has surpassed the numbers (in $) BLUE & LONESOME did. I am sure Jagger & co have a rather nice cards on the table at the moment.

But that said, since the money the records make these days is chicken shit compared to touring, making some nice money for a band can't really be the motivation behind a new Rolling Stones album (and thereby the pressure by any record company is teethless). That's probably a bit new situation for them, and probably explains a bit why there aren't too many specific deadlines at the moment. It will be released when it is done (and the season is optimal, aka Xmas...)

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-19 18:54 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 19, 2017 20:24

I really should know better than to get in the middle of this, but the Stones control their own copyrights. The record label doesn't have the same clout it would with an artist whose work they own outright. Sure, they pay for marketing and distribution and want a commercial product, but there are limits as to how much push and shove they have with the Stones. Not because of any Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band in the World nonsense, but because it is a distribution arrangement and like the ones before it for the past 47 years, it is a unique situation where the band has more autonomy than most artists.

Don Was has been making these remarks since BLUE AND LONESOME came out. "We don't really have a handle on [the new material] yet" or saying that for some reason the band doesn't have the fire in their belly to knuckle down and finish the album. What he said to Dean is consistent with what he's said for the past year. Maybe as producer, he doesn't want to set expectations high for a project he isn't able to steer yet. Maybe his public pronouncements are an attempt to make the two big egos involved actually get past detente and finish the job. I'm going with a likely 2018 release until we hear otherwise from a more direct source. Not discounting Don Was at all, I just suspect he might have another motive with these otherwise unprofessional public remarks.

Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Date: December 19, 2017 20:52

From KRiffhard posted on page one December 09, 2016.
Lot's of interesting quotes and links to revisit:

KRiffhard
These are some comments from band members about new songs:

Jagger told the NYT that they only have “half an album” of material — and Wood hinted that those songs may need quite a bit of time in the studio before they see release.
“It’s like putting it on top of the strainer and seeing what soaks through by the time you come back to them again,” said Wood. “The lumps that are left on top after time has gone by, that’s what you make your dough out of. It wouldn’t surprise me if we recut them all again. It’s one of those things.”

“The new material will take a while to sit and reshape” RW

"I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that." MJ

When asked if the Stones might return to the new songs in 2017, Jagger says, "Yeah, I hope so"; Wood also predicts "next year" will see them back in the studio

"This past December, the Rolling Stones gathered in Mark Knopfler's British Grove Studios in West London to begin work on a batch of original songs. Jagger is deliberately vague on the nature of those tunes. "I hope it's gonna be a very eclectic album," he says. "I hope some of it's gonna be recognizable Stones and some of it's gonna be some Stones you never heard before, maybe."

"The Stones are discussing more shows next year, and they really do intend to work on that album of originals. "There's about 10 or 12 new songs that Mick actually has been cooking up," says Wood, "and Keith's got the odd one, too."

"I don‘t want to make any decisions about this until this record (Blue and Lonesome) comes out, because I think it might radically change Mick‘s attitude; it might change mine. I want to see the fallout from this record before I decide wheteher I want to record 40 of Mick‘s songs or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That‘s my thing" KR

"Richards suggests that at least some of the songs might be unfinished compositions that date back 15 years or more"

From Uncut and [www.rollingstone.com]

Wondering if that highlighted quote from Keith still holds true? If so, then all the recent talk of a Tattoo You pt. II could be a reality.
They more than likely have TONS of stuff they could revisit, it's just a matter of agreeing and/or compromising on their varying visions for the direction of the new album.

Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 19, 2017 21:02

Hairball
From KRiffhard posted on page one December 09, 2016.
Lot's of interesting quotes and links to revisit:

KRiffhard
These are some comments from band members about new songs:

Jagger told the NYT that they only have “half an album” of material — and Wood hinted that those songs may need quite a bit of time in the studio before they see release.
“It’s like putting it on top of the strainer and seeing what soaks through by the time you come back to them again,” said Wood. “The lumps that are left on top after time has gone by, that’s what you make your dough out of. It wouldn’t surprise me if we recut them all again. It’s one of those things.”

“The new material will take a while to sit and reshape” RW

"I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that." MJ

When asked if the Stones might return to the new songs in 2017, Jagger says, "Yeah, I hope so"; Wood also predicts "next year" will see them back in the studio

"This past December, the Rolling Stones gathered in Mark Knopfler's British Grove Studios in West London to begin work on a batch of original songs. Jagger is deliberately vague on the nature of those tunes. "I hope it's gonna be a very eclectic album," he says. "I hope some of it's gonna be recognizable Stones and some of it's gonna be some Stones you never heard before, maybe."

"The Stones are discussing more shows next year, and they really do intend to work on that album of originals. "There's about 10 or 12 new songs that Mick actually has been cooking up," says Wood, "and Keith's got the odd one, too."

"I don‘t want to make any decisions about this until this record (Blue and Lonesome) comes out, because I think it might radically change Mick‘s attitude; it might change mine. I want to see the fallout from this record before I decide wheteher I want to record 40 of Mick‘s songs or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That‘s my thing" KR

"Richards suggests that at least some of the songs might be unfinished compositions that date back 15 years or more"

From Uncut and [www.rollingstone.com]

Wondering if that highlighted quote from Keith still holds true? If so, then all the recent talk of a Tattoo You pt. II could be a reality.
They more than likely have TONS of stuff they could revisit, it's just a matter of agreeing and/or compromising on their varying visions for the direction of the new album.

Tattoo You pt. II...here's what I hope for!

Date: December 19, 2017 21:39

There'll be an album of new material .... give 'em time ...

They've ridden the Blue Lonesome horse for now ...

ROCKMAN

Date: December 19, 2017 21:51

Rocky Dijon
I really should know better than to get in the middle of this, but the Stones control their own copyrights. The record label doesn't have the same clout it would with an artist whose work they own outright. Sure, they pay for marketing and distribution and want a commercial product, but there are limits as to how much push and shove they have with the Stones. Not because of any Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band in the World nonsense, but because it is a distribution arrangement and like the ones before it for the past 47 years, it is a unique situation where the band has more autonomy than most artists.

Don Was has been making these remarks since BLUE AND LONESOME came out. "We don't really have a handle on [the new material] yet" or saying that for some reason the band doesn't have the fire in their belly to knuckle down and finish the album. What he said to Dean is consistent with what he's said for the past year. Maybe as producer, he doesn't want to set expectations high for a project he isn't able to steer yet. Maybe his public pronouncements are an attempt to make the two big egos involved actually get past detente and finish the job. I'm going with a likely 2018 release until we hear otherwise from a more direct source. Not discounting Don Was at all, I just suspect he might have another motive with these otherwise unprofessional public remarks.

That is what I was arguing on behalf to Mr. Hairball (bless his heart). Don Was has been sort of 'playing' the release / progress of and finishing of the album since 2015-2016.

There is more there than meets his mouth. My guess is the album is still a on plans as a go for this year ..provided nothing occurs. I think he is just planning on under-promising a bit (just in case) .. but the plan is still to deliver.

Not saying the album is done (because is certainly does not sound like it is at all .. I think we can all agree the thing just isn't finished lol) .. or that a monkey wrench could not come at any time and disrupt progress .. All Im I'm saying is that right now I think the whole group is on board for finishing the album in 2018 and then releasing it some time that year .. BUT the release may not be until end of summer or fall. As well .. last we found out from Georgelicks .. Universal is 'planning' on a release in >>2018<< (not 2019) as well. Again .. Universal is expecting it.

In other words.. Dats the plan. (lets just hope nothing interrupts it because it is not a solid path just yet I can agree there on that)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-19 21:56 by IanBillen.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117...LastNext
Current Page: 112 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1954
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home