Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...104105106107108109110111112113114...LastNext
Current Page: 109 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: December 15, 2017 18:25

Hey Dean- I just spent way more time than I should have (at work) checking out your website. Some really great stuff there!

Re: Another Stones studio album in 201x
Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: December 15, 2017 18:35

Thanks Dean. this could mean:

"I'm not supposed to tell journalists anything, so I'll kick it into the long grass to be difficult" or

"They keep adding tracks, and at this rate it will be as long a All Things Must Pass and take me ages to finish producing" or

"With the UK, Australia and US tours in 2018 they won't have enough time to finish a new record" or...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 15, 2017 19:48

Thanks Dean for passing along the info., and thanks to Don Was for breaking the news- an inside source if there ever was one.

thecitadel
Thanks Dean. this could mean:

"I'm not supposed to tell journalists anything, so I'll kick it into the long grass to be difficult" or

"They keep adding tracks, and at this rate it will be as long a All Things Must Pass and take me ages to finish producing" or

"With the UK, Australia and US tours in 2018 they won't have enough time to finish a new record" or...

Or..........

- A GRRRR volume II or something of that nature with a couple of new ones tacked on (if any were even finished).

- Or maybe a new stand alone Stones single (again if any were finished).

- A new Keith solo album

- A new Mick solo album (or another single)

- Blue and Lonesome pt. II

- No Filter LIVE

Maybe after the UK, Australia (?), and US (?) mini-tours they'll try to reconvene.
I thought things would get flowing after No Filter, but looks like little has happened.
Anyhow, 2019 is not that far away in the big picture.

"Still a lot to do, sounding good, working on it" - Keith

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 15, 2017 21:56

As if Don Was is gonna spill the beans on what's going on with the new album...

ROCKMAN

Re: Another Stones studio album in 3xxx
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 15, 2017 22:09

doitywoik
DeanGoodman
Unlikely next year, per Don Was. I asked him tonight at an event and he replied, "You probably won't see it in 2018." I didn't get the sense there was much progress or rush.

Perhaps we should grant them the time it might take and rename the thread "Another Stones studio album in 3xxx" winking smiley

Or "Another studio album?"

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 15, 2017 22:51

DeanGoodman
Unlikely next year, per Don Was. I asked him tonight at an event and he replied, "You probably won't see it in 2018." I didn't get the sense there was much progress or rush.

Thanks for sharing. You have to wonder what Mick and Keith are doing in the studio then, photo ops for social media ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: December 16, 2017 00:04

Mick's lost his way and needs Keith's direction.
And he needs Keith's producer Steve Jordan to get the Stones in the right direction. Thatwon't happen and that mens the Stones will be the wrong direction,

Jagger is the wrong the way to direct the Stones in the studio!
Mick has lost his way to direct the Stones to their true direction of the Stones!

No way that Mick is the leader of the band.
He has lost his direction of directing the Stones!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 16, 2017 01:29

The album is on Universal schedule for 2018, but with album sales so awful during January/November, I can't see it released before late November or December, maybe with a ticket bundle (if they play shows in 2019) like U2 to boost sales,
Even this year, December sales are very poor with a 24% drop over 2016.

They won't release the album in July or August with a dead market.

In 2017 only 10 albums went GOLD in the U.S. and only 21 got sales of 300,000 copies.

Rank - 2017 Sales - TITLE - Artist ( Estimated Total Sales for albums )
01 - 1,651,000 - REPUTATION - Taylor Swift ( 1,651,000 )
02 - 981,000 - ÷ - Ed Sheeran ( 981,000 )
03 - 866,000 - DAMN. - Kendrick Lamar ( 866,000 )
04 - 682,000 - MOANA - Soundtrack ( 877,000 )
05 - 673,000 - 24K MAGIC - Bruno Mars ( 1,152,000 )
06 - 611,000 - FROM A ROOM: VOLUME 1 - Chris Stapleton ( 611,000 )
07 - 576,000 - HARDWIRED...TO SELF-DESTRUCT - Metallica ( 1,093,000 )
08 - 569,000 - BEAUTIFUL TRAUMA - P!nk ( 569,000 )
09 - 558,000 - GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL.2: AWESOME MIX VOL.2 - Soundtrack ( 558,000 )
10 - 504,000 - TROLLS - Soundtrack ( 805,000 )
11 - 392,000 - HAMILTON: AN AMERICAN MUSICAL - Original Cast ( 1,381,000 )
12 - 389,000 - BEAUTY AND THE BEAST - Soundtrack ( 389,000 )
13 - 388,000 - 4:44 - Jay-Z ( 388,000 )
14 - 374,000 - TRAVELLER - Chris Stapleton ( 2,145,000 )
15 - 368,000 - HARRY STYLES - Harry Styles ( 368,000 )
16 - 363,000 - EVOLVE - Imagine Dragons ( 363,000 )
17 - 361,000 - MORE LIFE - Drake ( 361,000 )
18 - 340,000 - GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: AWESOME MIX VOL. 1 - Soundtrack ( 2,019,000 )
19 - 336,000 - LA LA LAND - Soundtrack ( 364,000 )
20 - 322,000 - LIVE IN NO SHOES NATION - Kenny Chesney ( 322,000 )
21 - 310,000 - THE THRILL OF IT ALL - Sam Smith ( 310,000 )
22 - 290,000 - MEMORIES…DO NOT OPEN - Chainsmokers ( 290,000 )
23 - 287,000 - WELCOME HOME - Zac Brown Band ( 287,000 )
24 - 280,000 - RIPCORD - Keith Urban ( 692,000 )
25 - 277,000 - WITNESS - Katy Perry ( 277,000 )

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 16, 2017 01:52

Sad state of affairs.

Date: December 16, 2017 01:57

I'm proud to say I didn't contribute to the sales of any of those albums!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: December 16, 2017 02:03

Fan Since 1964
And he needs Keith's producer Steve Jordan to get the Stones in the right direction. Thatwon't happen and that mens the Stones will be the wrong direction,

Mick has lost his way to direct the Stones to their true direction of the Stones!

Well no - and Crossdressed Fart should be a proof of that. And the other so called Keith-masterpieces after that running Rudolph.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-16 20:46 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 16, 2017 02:30

Hairball
I'm proud to say I didn't contribute to the sales of any of those albums!

Not many people contributing either, only 1 Platinum album and the #25 of the year under 280,000 copies sold, even with hits and tours promoting these albums.

Ed Sheeran with that monster hit has yet to reach 1 million copies for his album.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 16, 2017 04:33

Each legal sale represents how many illegal downloads, now that pretty much anyone can figure out how to get anything for free? Anyone ever look at what the appropriate multiplication factor is?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 16, 2017 05:18

georgelicks
The album is on Universal schedule for 2018, but with album sales so awful during January/November, I can't see it released before late November or December, maybe with a ticket bundle (if they play shows in 2019) like U2 to boost sales,

It would help if they recorded an album for Universal to release, first off.

Hopefully someday a successful artist/band will just release studio albums digitally and via their website (or their own indie record label website) and or Amazon, no big record label help, because they want to.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 16, 2017 07:47

Rokyfan
Each legal sale represents how many illegal downloads, now that pretty much anyone can figure out how to get anything for free? Anyone ever look at what the appropriate multiplication factor is?

An observation I hadn’t considered! Well done. I thought the day that music died was being drawn out.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 16, 2017 07:48

GasLightStreet
georgelicks

Hopefully someday a successful artist/band will just release studio albums digitally and via their website (or their own indie record label website) and or Amazon, no big record label help, because they want to.

You mean like Prince? RIP

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 16, 2017 08:20

GasLightStreet
georgelicks

I think these days they earn more by playing one concert than what a new record will earn them in decades, no matter how good it sells. How much does a n.1 record earn these days? I have no idea, but considering The Stones get 1mil. dollars each per one gig, I think it is absolutely marginal compared to this. So I don't think they will hold it back because of that. I would almost think that making a new record is not the way to make money for them, but of course it is too. I am sure that a new RS record is a big deal for everybody and quite a lot of thinking goes into the selling strategy, but my guess is that they would not postpone it by a year or two because of that. I think the record is simply not ready yet and it will be released when it is ready.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 16, 2017 08:35

Wonder if they'll dub in the sounds of 'em hittin that brick wall onta one of the new tracks .........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 16, 2017 08:41

Fan Since 1964

Obviously not only a "Fan Since 1964", but a true insider too...tell us more!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 16, 2017 10:42

Gonna be a posthumous release at this rate. For either a band member, or more likely, me.

Rod

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 16, 2017 10:45

Just release the album already and push it properly on digital channels. 90% of people will buy it out of nostalgia anyway and so I don't think the timing actually matters that much. Just get it out already, we already know they won't have the guts to really tour behind it anyway.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 16, 2017 11:43

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
marcovandereijk
Parodies of a genre are different from parodies of themselves.
Was the first parody of a genre "Something happened to me yesterday"?
Could it be "Gomper" was a parodie of psychodelica?
I love them doing parodies that are musically great, but give us something funny too.

What I mean are self-parodies, e.g. relative weak rockers with embarrassing "cock"-lyrics by a relatively old author. Critics all over the world laughed about shit like Sparks Will Fly, but the Stones (who didn't play a much better song like Blinded By Rainbow even once) played the thing in 130 shows. Probably they didn't even consider it a parody.

I'm not a big fan of Sparks Will Fly (It's ok), but Blinded By Rainbows is utterly disposable to me. The Worst and Out Of Tears were much better on that album.

Well, it's a matter of taste. I couldn't mention TW and OOT because they were actually played.

They could have done Mean Disposition. IMO, one of the best rockers on VL.

+1

Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 16, 2017 15:24

Thanks, Dean.
You helped explain to us why this thread isn’t a sticky.

Date: December 16, 2017 15:33

Blue & Boring vol. 2? Please don't sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-16 15:34 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 16, 2017 19:08

35love
GasLightStreet
georgelicks

You mean like Prince? RIP

Yeah. I knew he did a few. Just wish it was more the norm, all things considered. Jason Isbell is kind of doing it, with Thirty Tigers out of Nashville to help with distribution.

Date: December 16, 2017 19:55

KRiffhard

winking smiley

Well maybe so, but they could record and release more covers within a few days or weeks time, and it would be better than a possible A Bigger Bang vol.2 (aka Hit the Wall) which seems to be where this new album was going.
The only real challenge would be to come up with a more creative cover than the boring blue tongue. But if they're persistent enough to work on finishing originals, maybe they could release them one at a time as they're completed. Possible titles:

Another Brick in the Wall pt.I
Another Brick in the Wall pt.II
Another Brick in the Wall pt.III...and so on and so on....eye rolling smiley...but unfortunately these titles are already used.

I would welcome a B&L vol.2 and/or a new Keith solo album over nothing, and would also prefer those over an album of half-assed Stones songs.
At this point, I suppose all we can hope for now is a No Filter live album which also is better than nothing...maybe.

Date: December 16, 2017 20:40

Hairball
KRiffhard

winking smiley

Well maybe so, but they could record and release more covers within a few days or weeks time, and it would be better than a possible A Bigger Bang vol.2 (aka Hit the Wall) which seems to be where this new album was going.
The only real challenge would be to come up with a more creative cover than the boring blue tongue. But if they're persistent enough to work on finishing originals, maybe they could release them one at a time as they're completed. Possible titles:

Another Brick in the Wall pt.I
Another Brick in the Wall pt.II
Another Brick in the Wall pt.III...and so on and so on....eye rolling smiley...but unfortunately these titles are already used.

I would welcome a B&L vol.2 and/or a new Keith solo album over nothing, and would also prefer those over an album of half-assed Stones songs.
At this point, I suppose all we can hope for now is a No Filter live album which also is better than nothing...maybe.

On Air, Blue & Boring pt. II, a Mick's solo album with other usless 'I can't take it no more'/'Gotta Get a Grip'/'England Lost', another Keith solo album with other boring 'Amnesia'/'Illusion'/Suspicious'/Losing my touch, another live album...i can't hold on any longer!!! winking smiley
Meanwhile i listen to some good stuff:
[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 16, 2017 20:51

Yes KRiffhard, there's TONS of good stuff to listen to from the past - whether it's official, unreleased boots, and even cover versions:

Even oddball covers likes this - Johnny taking a Stones masterpiece and giving it a bluegrass reworking. Whether it's a good cover or not is debatable, but hey it's Johnny Cash - yeehaw! smiling smiley

Johnny Cash - No Expectations

Date: December 16, 2017 21:10

Hairball
Yes KRiffhard, there's TONS of good stuff to listen to from the past - whether it's official, unreleased boots, and even cover versions:

Even oddball covers likes this - Johnny taking a Stones masterpiece and giving it a bluegrass reworking. Whether it's a good cover or not is debatable, but hey it's Johnny Cash - yeehaw! smiling smiley

Johnny Cash - No Expectations

thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 17, 2017 01:18

georgelicks

Hate to see the Stones do something that to me would seem desperate to boost album sales. Make great new music, promote the Hell out of the album using media and TV and play it live for a year or two. The Blue and Lonesome cuts played live caused a slight sea change, keep it going.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...104105106107108109110111112113114...LastNext
Current Page: 109 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home