Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...102103104105106107108109110111112...LastNext
Current Page: 107 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 13, 2017 12:42

KRiffhard
Bungo
I'm sure no one will believe this but I'm gonna lay it out there anyway :

Last week I was sipping Tequila at the pool in Hotel California in Todos Santos Mexico when a chap sat down near me and with little else to do we started chatting. Long story short it turns out he is close to the recording process of the new Stones record (engineer or studio technician or something) and he goes in to saying how incredible the new songs are, "classic drug fueled Stones" I believe he described them, "right up there with Sticky Fingers or Exile". He also mentioned something about Keith not letting Mick inject any of his silly "techno pop rubbish" onto what may very well be their last studio effort.

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the conversation.
smoking smiley

Too good to be true!

Definitely

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 13, 2017 12:42

There's no "age limit on those kind a things" but I prefer good songs, not parodies. I don't want the last album to be a bad joke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-13 12:44 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 13, 2017 12:45

think positive man .... Keef the faith ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 13, 2017 15:49

Monsoon Ragoon
There's no "age limit on those kind a things" but I prefer good songs, not parodies. I don't want the last album to be a bad joke.

Keith won't have it.........

Date: December 13, 2017 15:57

Monsoon Ragoon

We'll have to rule out songs with the calibre of Dear Doctor, Country Honk, Dead Flowers and Far Away Eyes, then...

Date: December 13, 2017 16:46

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

We'll have to rule out songs with the calibre of Dear Doctor, Country Honk, Dead Flowers and Far Away Eyes, then...

These are no idiotic pseudo-Stones tunes.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 13, 2017 16:46

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

Looking forward to songs like "Where Are My Keys" and "The 3:00am Pee".....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out After all they are not 62 anymore...lol

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 13, 2017 16:56

Typical hype starting. It's the best since Exile. I'll judge after I hear it when it finally arrives. A good album holds up after repeated listening imho. A great album not only holds up, it gets better with repeated listening

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 13, 2017 17:30

IanBillen
GasLightStreet
IanBillen
Hairball
Monsoon Ragoon
Wouldn't it be easier to finish 12 or 15 excellent and still unused outtakes from 1977 onwards like Fiji Jim or Still In Love (the latter was revisited not so long ago)? It would probably be the better album than mediocre all new stuff and I wouldn't take five years.

Agree Monsoon - was just reading all about Tattoo You in the "Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes" thread (great thread by the way), and don't see why they couldn't repeat that process of cobbling bits and pieces from the past to make something "new" and great.

IanBillen
I'm sure Mick and Keith wrote some tracks together as well .. They spent a week together .. Im sure they got at least four to six keepers out of that batch.

You really think so Ian? At least least four to six keepers after working together for only a week?
Hmmmm...sounds a bit unrealistic given the circumstances, but I suppose it's possible?

Howdy ..They have written three songs a day .. and enough for a whole album in two weeks in their somewhat recent past (including A Bigger Bang .. according to Don Was he was saying they were writing 'three a day' at times). I'm not saying the songs they wrote in that week were all finished at that point or 110% written ... Im saying they easily have the basis for them written and that 4 or six of them are worthy to be worked up by the band or built upon as keepers.

Wouldn't 110% written be overwritten?

What I mean is the melody.. bridge... chorus basis and chord structure would be in place...or basically in place. When thes songs hit the studio or with the full band at some location you can alter a bit..or change key and tempo and add instruments .. or a middle 8 or something but the songs 'foundation' would at least be in place ...even if it is simply written on a couple of acoustic guitars. That's how songs are 'written'. After they are written ... they often get 'worked out and mapped out or altered or added to in someones home with more members or with the whole band at a studio ... The song is then rehearsed and finally recorded.

Not to try and act like I'm giving anyone a lesson but that is how it goes. I'm saying at least 4-6 songs with their foundation would be good to go to move onto the next step from that week with Mick and Keith ... The songs would be there ...but not all mapped out, arranged, and with everything in place as when we finally hear it on the album.

That is how songs are written and finally recorded. Initially the song idea ..chord structure... and basis is there and then they move onto the next one to write in a writing session. Later..the song is added to or altered and arranged ..then rehearsed..then recorded. I am hoping at least 4-6 song keepers to work up were kept from that session ...who knows.. maybe a few more? Or at least a few more from when they got together again (if they had) at some point.

I've been in recording sessions when three members were overdubbing and on a 1/2 hour lunch break the two song writers in the hallway away from everything wrote a damn good rock track...one of the best ones on the entire album ... just with a couple acoustic guitars over a half hour while others were doing overdubs in the room next door. Two weeks later the band worked on the song and the next week it was recorded... All from a 1/2 hour lunch break in which the two started toying around with a few acoustic guitars ..unplanned. Just happened between the two song writers. I am 'hoping' there may be some interchanges like that with all the segments (though short segments) with Mick and Keith .. (who knows?).

OK. But I'm not sure what that has to do with 110% when all we need is 100% which has clearly not happened so far.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 13, 2017 17:32

Monsoon Ragoon
I fear they will make a fool of themselves with cuts similar to Rough Justice or Sparks Will Fly. You can record things like that at 62, but when you're in your mid-70s? I don't know.

What's the matter with Rough Justice? That song smokes.

Sparks Will Fly, on the other hand, is one of the worst things they've done. Musically it's a sleep walk, Keith doing Keith, but lyrically it's horrendous.

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: December 13, 2017 18:02

For the final Stones album I am drawn to the idea of a Tattoo You style album drawn from the post Bill sessions (Voodoo, Babylon, 2002, ABB Etc). Having heard the two tracks Jagger released in the summer I think he's lost it. Or another blues album.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 13, 2017 18:20

KevinLocksPerm
For the final Stones album I am drawn to the idea of a Tattoo You style album drawn from the post Bill sessions (Voodoo, Babylon, 2002, ABB Etc). Having heard the two tracks Jagger released in the summer I think he's lost it. Or another blues album.

thumbs up
The best 12/14 outtakes from previous sessions (from Undercover to ABB )
They have great stuff to work on and Chris Kimsey would be a perfect choice for such a project. He needs only 3 months!

"I spent 3 months going through like the last 4, 5 albums finding stuff that had been either forgotten about or at the time rejected. And then I presented it to the band and I said, Hey, look guys, you've got all this great stuff sitting in the can and it's great material, do something with it" Chris Kimsey
[www.timeisonourside.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-13 18:28 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 13, 2017 22:18

Keith is capable of so much, really. Don't ever underestimate Keith, I tell ya. If that cat really takes action I don't doubt he still can write something wonderful. That's why I think that Keith and Mick separation could also be a chance. If Mick and Keith are together nowadays Mick takes the control, brings all the ideas and Keith gets lazy with his own ideas and just adds some stuff. That's what happened with most A Bigger Bang songs which were in fact Mick songs. But if Keith is really willing to bring own ideas he can do it! Crosseyed Heart wasn't too shabby, wasn't it? Now take the music of Crosseyed Heart and add some clever Mick lyrics instead of "someone stole some money, stolen from my honey" or "I love my sugar but I love my honey too" (which I still love when Keith sings it but that's no lyrics Mick Jagger could sing).

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 14, 2017 05:52

Bungo

Last week I was sipping Tequila at the pool in Hotel California in Todos Santos Mexico when a chap sat down near me and with little else to do we started chatting. Long story short it turns out he is close to the recording process of the new Stones record (engineer or studio technician or something) and he goes in to saying how incredible the new songs are, "classic drug fueled Stones" I believe he described them, "right up there w8ith Sticky Fingers or Exile". He also mentioned something about Keith not letting Mick inject any of his silly "techno pop rubbish" onto what may very well be their last studio effort.

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the konversasjon.
smoking smiley

I am one of possibly very few here, who will gladly receive broadly such an ingredient, which is allotted an epithet of that kind, given that it would be where Mick currently prefers to go, while I on the other hand want to be spared from as much as possible of that "C-E H" type of anemic feeeeling.

If the two of them, however, could meet in an EMOTIONAL RESCUE oriented "musical terrain", might be an ideal compromise between them.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: December 14, 2017 10:14

Bungo

Last week I was sipping Tequila at the pool in Hotel California in Todos Santos Mexico when a chap sat down near me and with little else to do we started chatting. Long story short it turns out he is close to the recording process of the new Stones record (engineer or studio technician or something) and he goes in to saying how incredible the new songs are, "classic drug fueled Stones" I believe he described them, "right up there with Sticky Fingers or Exile". He also mentioned something about Keith not letting Mick inject any of his silly "techno pop rubbish" onto what may very well be their last studio effort.

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the conversation.
smoking smiley

I don't doubt you, Bungo, and bring encouraging words from the devil himself.

While scarf shopping with Mick yesterday he told me to tell everyone on IORR that he's been jamming in the studio for nights on end, smoking spliffs and drinking JD with Keith, mumbling over the same old riffs in the hopes that an accidental bend of a string may suddenly unlock a melody that has been chained to his secretive heart since 1973. He said he’s firmly convinced that this is the only way for the Stones to birth a new classic - old-school/no epidural.

Then he started singing ‘Gotta Get a Grip’ but was soon overcome with laughter.

Date: December 14, 2017 10:31

Witness
Bungo

Last week I was sipping Tequila at the pool in Hotel California in Todos Santos Mexico when a chap sat down near me and with little else to do we started chatting. Long story short it turns out he is close to the recording process of the new Stones record (engineer or studio technician or something) and he goes in to saying how incredible the new songs are, "classic drug fueled Stones" I believe he described them, "right up there w8ith Sticky Fingers or Exile". He also mentioned something about Keith not letting Mick inject any of his silly "techno pop rubbish" onto what may very well be their last studio effort.

Anyway, make of it what you will,even though some good Mexican blow, weed and Tequila were present during the konversasjon.
smoking smiley

I am one of possibly very few here, who will gladly receive broadly such an ingredient, which is allotted an epithet of that kind, given that it would be where Mick currently prefers to go, while I on the other hand want to be spared from as much as possible of that "C-E H" type of anemic feeeeling.

If the two of them, however, could meet in an EMOTIONAL RESCUE oriented "musical terrain", might be an ideal compromise between them

That's interesting, as songs like Heartstopper, Amnesia, Love Overdue and Robbed Blind easily could have been on Emotional Rescue.

Or did you perhaps mean ER, the song?

Date: December 14, 2017 10:56

Whoooo ya gotta laugh at all the album-advice that dribbles thru this joint ....

Do ya really reckon Mick & Keith sit and read all this advice crap and
then run back inta the studio and announces ta Ronnie and Charlie....
Eeeerrr ... Eeeerrr there's this dude guy in LA who reckons we should cut another Beggars album ... come on ...... come on get ya hands offa it ...

They're the greatest Rock & Roll band in the world feedin' cool noise
to the world ...... They're not some pizza shop owner who strums an acoustic guitar for customer entertainment while pumpin fat inta innocent peoples ....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 14, 2017 11:00

grinning smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 14, 2017 11:05

Rockman
Whoooo ya gotta laugh at all the album-advice that dribbles thru this joint ....

Eeeerrr ... Eeeerrr there's this dude guy in LA who reckons we should cut another Beggars album ... come on ...... come on get ya hands offa it ...

to the world ...... They're not some pizza shop owner who strums an acoustic guitar for customer entertainment while pumpin fat inta innocent peoples ....

smileys with beerdrinking smileyhot smiley
Jeroen

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 14, 2017 11:13

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

"Far Away Eyes" is.

Date: December 14, 2017 11:22

matxil
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

"Far Away Eyes" is.

All of them have elements of parody, in one way or the other.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 14, 2017 11:56

Rockman

Great post!

But it's enjoyable to read all this wishful thinking by the fans on this board.
Basically we're only writing down what we love about our favorite band. But we just
call it "another Stones studio album in 2018" this time.
Next time we will call it a Wood/Taylor debate or a Setlist discussion or a Track Talk
or something. But we can not surpress the urge to shout out to the world whatever
we love about The Greatest Rock 'n Roll Band in the World!

(and sometimes whatever we like to a lesser degree).

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: December 14, 2017 12:14

... yeah marcovandereijk I follow what ya sayin' ....

But The stones stumble along their own path and that's a lesson for us all ...
Other wise it be the same as havin' ya mother-in-law rulin' ya life ... and that'd be a full on dead-bore pain ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 14, 2017 12:14

DandelionPowderman
matxil
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

"Far Away Eyes" is.

Yes, but the others are good songs, not idiotic. Although Dear Doctor is bordering on the ridiculous with it's "Darling, I'm sorry, to hurt you", but it's still good.
"Far Away Eyes" has great potential, but the tongue in cheek has become a bulldozer in cheek with all the Jesus stuff, which is a pity.

Date: December 14, 2017 12:19

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

"Far Away Eyes" is.

Yes, but the others are good songs, not idiotic. Although Dear Doctor is bordering on the ridiculous with it's "Darling, I'm sorry, to hurt you", but it's still good.
"Far Away Eyes" has great potential, but the tongue in cheek has become a bulldozer in cheek with all the Jesus stuff, which is a pity.

Far Away Eyes is also a good song with a killer chorus, performed excellently. In fact, it's performed and recorded way better than all those other songs (which I also love), imo.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 14, 2017 14:27

Parodies of a genre are different from parodies of themselves.
Was the first parody of a genre "Something happened to me yesterday"?
Could it be "Gomper" was a parodie of psychodelica?
I love them doing parodies that are musically great, but give us something funny too.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: December 14, 2017 14:32

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

"Far Away Eyes" is.

Far Away Eyes is also a good song with a killer chorus, performed excellently. In fact, it's performed and recorded way better than all those other songs (which I also love), imo.

The-tongue-in-cheek during the verses contributes vitally and much needed to balance the immense sympathy in the choruses.

The total then comes out as one of the all time GREAT Stones songs. There are three of those on this album, in my opinion.

Date: December 14, 2017 14:34

DandelionPowderman
Witness
Bungo

smoking smiley

If the two of them, however, could meet in an EMOTIONAL RESCUE oriented "musical terrain", might be an ideal compromise between them

That's interesting, as songs like Heartstopper, Amnesia, Love Overdue and Robbed Blind easily could have been on Emotional Rescue.

???

I meant the album, yes!

Date: December 14, 2017 14:37

marcovandereijk
Parodies of a genre are different from parodies of themselves.
Was the first parody of a genre "Something happened to me yesterday"?
Could it be "Gomper" was a parodie of psychodelica?
I love them doing parodies that are musically great, but give us something funny too.

What I mean are self-parodies, e.g. relative weak rockers with embarrassing "cock"-lyrics by a relatively old author. Critics all over the world laughed about shit like Sparks Will Fly, but the Stones (who didn't play a much better song like Blinded By Rainbow even once) played the thing in 130 shows. Probably they didn't even consider it a parody.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-14 14:39 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: December 14, 2017 14:58

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness
Bungo

smoking smiley

???

I meant the album, yes!

Musically, the songs I mentioned could have been on ER:

Heartstopper – A standard rocker like (take a pick on ER)
Amnesia – A mid-tempo rocker like Let Me Go
Love Overdue – A reggae-track like Send It To Me
Robbed Blind – A country-tinged ballad like Indian Girl

We could also add:

Suspicious – A jazzy ballad like All About You
Blues In The Morning – A bluesy rocker like (take a pick on ER)

Mostly, the only difference is that it is Keith who's singing, and not Mick. The variety of genres are there on both albums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-14 14:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...102103104105106107108109110111112...LastNext
Current Page: 107 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home