Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...949596979899100101102103104...LastNext
Current Page: 99 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 2, 2017 20:08

MisterDDDD
Both Mick and Keith seen about town in NYC over the last couple days..

Realize that likely happens all the time and isn't necessarily business related.. but like to think ..maybe.

Keith at the Beacon

Called it! cool smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 2, 2017 20:17

peoplewitheyes
Always alone like solo stars in these studio photos.

Are Mick'n'Keef in the same studio?!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 20:17 by KRiffhard.

Date: December 2, 2017 20:19

Hairball
Mabru
[twitter.com]

At least Mick is back in the studio

This is a good sign.thumbs up

thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 2, 2017 20:46

retired_dog

"One More Shot" is a good example for what's probably going on right now. Keith takes his time to develop a song until he feels that it's right - just like in the old days. The only difference is that unlike the past, the rest of the Stones are obviously not willing to start with a tiny riff or song sketch and wing it for days or even weeks until a song that "feels right" is finally developed. So it seems that Keith is doing just that with other partners - Steve Jordan and others. Like with "One More Shot". The only problem is that once you have developed a song with others until it "feels right" to capture the feeling with the band in the re-recording process. Didn't people (Jordan?) claim that the original version of OMS sounded "so much better" than the Stones version?

Yeah, that's the kind of interpretation I have also at the moment (based on the small clues we have now) - to repeat capturing the right feel just doesn't work in "One More Shot" (for example, there is not problem at all in CROSSEYED HEART). I also partly blame Jagger here - he doesn't sound his heart and mind is heavily involved. To me he sounds like singing a Keith Richards solo tune karaoke/parody, not even trying to re-shape and re-write the melody and lyrics to fit into his mouth (the additions he does - those nananas or whatever those are - are just not-much-thought, cheap cake-icings to my ears). It would be like imagining Mick singing "Take It So Hard" note-to-note and word-to-word - I can't really imagine him doing that very well, because the singing part is so full of Keith Richards idiosyncracies based on his 'feel' and typical delivery (short verses, a few random-like sounding words thrown in, etc.). So I wouldn't surprised that the original Richards/Jordan might sound more convincing. (By comparison, just imagine how much effort and creative energy Jagger put into finishing up "Plundered My Soul" - which basically was just a Keith Richards riff he needed to write the whole tune over it.)

Generally, in this sense "Doom & Gloom" and "One More Shot" are both quite good indications what we should expect from them now, at least formally (if they don't apply the BLUE & LONESOME approach): A Mick song is the one based on his demos, the others just adding their bits. A Keith song is song he comes up with with Jordan, and then especially adds there something melodically and lyrically, and the others their bits. I think "Doom & Gloom" is actually a rather close cousin of "Gotta Get A Grip" - I don't think much of the latter should be altered (a bit of the heavy production sized down to emphasize more the Stonesian elements, which already are there, plus giving some room for Keef) to make it sound more a traditional Stones piece in a way "Doom & Gloom" does.

Okay, these were just observations based on their former (recent) doings (what else we do have than the already released stuff to base our reflections and predictions?), and it might sound that I am pessimistic (some say: realistic) here, but actually I don't feel like that. I think "Doom & Gloom" is a rather nice track, there is a lot of freshness and drive there, though it rocks a bit too hard (some of the famous 'roll', and Richardsian 'feel', is missing). I like very much "Gotta Get A Grip" as it is (in its different versions), and I see there a missed opportunity to make a good Stones track differing a bit from the normal (though I like the way it is - Jagger releasing with 'free hands', not needing to do compromises). Unfortunately "One More Shot" doesn't work for me at all. But I blame more the circumstances there: Keith needed hastily pick up a suitable song from his upcoming solo album, and he took the one having most typical (cliche-like) Stonesian elements in it (no room for any experiment in that context of two new songs in a greatest hits album). Add there a disinvolved Jagger and a terrible hurriness. I am sure they can do much better, giving more time and room (and, for example, Keith actually knowing that it is going be a Stones track and Mick singing it). So I feel optimistic about the new album!

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 20:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: December 2, 2017 21:26

Mick reports on twitter to be back in the studio:

[twitter.com]

Same studio as where Keith is?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 21:30 by jackflash27.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 3, 2017 00:02

KRiffhard
Hairball
Mabru
[twitter.com]

thumbs up

I believe it was Heinz who posted a couple of weeks ago that they would be back in the studio in December...or maybe it was georgelicks...or MelBelli who broke the news? winking smiley
Whoever it was , gotta give credit where credits due - thanks to all of them for keeping us tuned in, whether it's the new album, tour dates, etc.!

Oh yeah, and mpj200 is always helpful. thumbs up

Date: December 3, 2017 00:29

Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
Mabru
[twitter.com]

thumbs up

I believe it was Heinz who posted a couple of weeks ago that they would be back in the studio in December...or maybe it was georgelicks...or MelBelli who broke the news? winking smiley
Whoever it was , gotta give credit where credits due - thanks to all of them for keeping us tuned in, whether it's the new album, tour dates, etc.!

Oh yeah, and mpj200 is always helpful. thumbs up

It was Heinz57!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 3, 2017 00:36

....... YEAH !!!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: December 3, 2017 04:36

retired_dog
IanBillen

Lets cut Keith a break. If it were not for Keith ..there would be no Blue & Lonesome.. The song and idea of blues was all his idea to start with. It was a way to get Mick back to playing harmonica and loosen up when they were at a recording standstill.. He chose the title track and the rest is history. Keith is the one who pushes more to get the Stones into the studio ...not Mick. He always has.

Keith is the one who called Mick first in the resurrection with Steel Wheels. Mick knew he fell short solo wise and felt silly...so it was up to Keith to man up and give the first call ...the rest is history.

Gotta Get a Grip may have been an ok Stones track with Keith input but England lost basically sucked. Keith knows what hes doing.

Hmmm... Mick did Commit A Crime with Jeff Beck at the White House show some years ago. He did Everbody Knows About My Good Thing with Gary Moore back in the 90's. The Red Devils, the band that backed for his blues session pre-Wandering Spirit, had a version of Just Your Fool in their early 90's live set that sounds almost exactly like the Stones take on Blue & Lonesome more than two decades later (it can be found on YouTube for those interested btw.). This is no coincidence imo. Mick's input on Blue & Lonesome was obviously a bit larger than he is credited for. It's not that Keith called the shots and Mick reluctantly obeyed by doing the vocals and playing the harmonica.

You are misunderstanding what I am saying ...completely. I am simply saying it was entirely Keiths idea that created that 'spark' to...>> get the ball rolling with the whole three day blues thing ...that's all. I was never saying or thinking Keith had this whole blues thing and was running the show.. However he was the one that had the idea of how to generate the spark. It worked.. and they got a totally different album out of it .. that's all I was saying.

Mick actually shines on Blue & Lonesome. He and Don Was talked about doing more Blues after Keiths Blue & Lonesome suggestion came off so well. .. Keith was along for the ride with everyone at that point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-03 04:37 by IanBillen.

Date: December 3, 2017 09:42

Doxa
retired_dog

"One More Shot" is a good example for what's probably going on right now. Keith takes his time to develop a song until he feels that it's right - just like in the old days. The only difference is that unlike the past, the rest of the Stones are obviously not willing to start with a tiny riff or song sketch and wing it for days or even weeks until a song that "feels right" is finally developed. So it seems that Keith is doing just that with other partners - Steve Jordan and others. Like with "One More Shot". The only problem is that once you have developed a song with others until it "feels right" to capture the feeling with the band in the re-recording process. Didn't people (Jordan?) claim that the original version of OMS sounded "so much better" than the Stones version?

Yeah, that's the kind of interpretation I have also at the moment (based on the small clues we have now) - to repeat capturing the right feel just doesn't work in "One More Shot" (for example, there is not problem at all in CROSSEYED HEART). I also partly blame Jagger here - he doesn't sound his heart and mind is heavily involved. To me he sounds like singing a Keith Richards solo tune karaoke/parody, not even trying to re-shape and re-write the melody and lyrics to fit into his mouth (the additions he does - those nananas or whatever those are - are just not-much-thought, cheap cake-icings to my ears). It would be like imagining Mick singing "Take It So Hard" note-to-note and word-to-word - I can't really imagine him doing that very well, because the singing part is so full of Keith Richards idiosyncracies based on his 'feel' and typical delivery (short verses, a few random-like sounding words thrown in, etc.). So I wouldn't surprised that the original Richards/Jordan might sound more convincing. (By comparison, just imagine how much effort and creative energy Jagger put into finishing up "Plundered My Soul" - which basically was just a Keith Richards riff he needed to write the whole tune over it.)

Generally, in this sense "Doom & Gloom" and "One More Shot" are both quite good indications what we should expect from them now, at least formally (if they don't apply the BLUE & LONESOME approach): A Mick song is the one based on his demos, the others just adding their bits. A Keith song is song he comes up with with Jordan, and then especially adds there something melodically and lyrically, and the others their bits. I think "Doom & Gloom" is actually a rather close cousin of "Gotta Get A Grip" - I don't think much of the latter should be altered (a bit of the heavy production sized down to emphasize more the Stonesian elements, which already are there, plus giving some room for Keef) to make it sound more a traditional Stones piece in a way "Doom & Gloom" does.

Okay, these were just observations based on their former (recent) doings (what else we do have than the already released stuff to base our reflections and predictions?), and it might sound that I am pessimistic (some say: realistic) here, but actually I don't feel like that. I think "Doom & Gloom" is a rather nice track, there is a lot of freshness and drive there, though it rocks a bit too hard (some of the famous 'roll', and Richardsian 'feel', is missing). I like very much "Gotta Get A Grip" as it is (in its different versions), and I see there a missed opportunity to make a good Stones track differing a bit from the normal (though I like the way it is - Jagger releasing with 'free hands', not needing to do compromises). Unfortunately "One More Shot" doesn't work for me at all. But I blame more the circumstances there: Keith needed hastily pick up a suitable song from his upcoming solo album, and he took the one having most typical (cliche-like) Stonesian elements in it (no room for any experiment in that context of two new songs in a greatest hits album). Add there a disinvolved Jagger and a terrible hurriness. I am sure they can do much better, giving more time and room (and, for example, Keith actually knowing that it is going be a Stones track and Mick singing it). So I feel optimistic about the new album!

- Doxa

This approach did work nicely with Almost Hear You Sigh, though.

Date: December 3, 2017 12:03

DandelionPowderman

This approach did work nicely with Almost Hear You Sigh, though.

True! And generally I don't think the approach alone determinates the quality of the product. If the song is a good one - or a suitable one - to start with and the guys inspired enough, anything can happen. Anyway, from the base Keith says of "Almost Hear You Sigh", they (Mick and the Stones) put quite a lot of effort in developing it into its final form (unlike I think with "One More Shot"), though its life had started during TALK IS CHEAP sessions. From timeisonourside.com:

There were a couple (of songs) that I'd started working on during my own album. They were embryonic at the time, and since I didn't use them, I said to (Mick), Well, I think there's something here you might like. It was slight recall on Beast of Burden, and I know Mick likes singing that sort of thing. It suits him better than it does me.
- Keith Richards, 1989

When you're playing something like that, the obvious thing you start hitting is the soul licks. When we first did Almost Hear You Sigh, I played it very much like Beast of Burden. In fact, it was TOO much like it, so I called it Cousin of Beast of Burden (laughs) - I don't know if it was going to get any further than a poor relative. But as we started to add the bridge part and it started to open up for me, then I thought to myself exactly what you said - Curtis Mayfield. It's that style. Curtis is the king of that.
- Keith Richards, 1989

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 3, 2017 12:07

.... no granny road maps .... they just wander up different paths ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 3, 2017 12:49

Album ready before next summer UK tour.
It would be a bit odd to release an album after the possible last tour in UK in 2018

Date: December 3, 2017 12:53

Rockman

....... YEAH !!!!!!!

British Grove Studios?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 3, 2017 13:07

KRiffhard

British Grove Studios?

I thought they were in NYC, now?

Date: December 3, 2017 13:19

KRiffhard

British Grove Studios?

Don't know, but Jagger is said to be in NYC (but was the photo taken earlier?).

Anyway, the studio seems to be a different one than in which Keith's pic is taken. Which starts to look a bit absurd: the guys belong to the same band, are making the same album in horizon, happen to be in the same city - but use different studios...grinning smiley

But a good thing is that both Mick and Keith are signaling quite strongly that the cooks are in the kitchen now (just a while ago there were some pessimistic concerns here). Let them cook, and let us just wait the meal... though I need to admit that I feel like starving... Okay, there is the BBC album to snack..

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-03 13:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 3, 2017 13:51

Doxa
KRiffhard

British Grove Studios?

Anyway, the studio seems to be a different one than in which Keith's pic is taken. Which starts to look a bit absurd: the guys belong to the same band, are making the same album in horizon, happen to be in the same city - but use different studios...grinning smiley

But a good thing is that both Mick and Keith are signaling quite strongly that the cooks are in the kitchen now (just a while ago there were some pessimistic concerns here). Let them cook, and let us just wait the meal... though I need to admit that I feel like starving... Okay, there is the BBC album to snack..

- Doxa

It's like Mick and Keith run their own separate restaurants now. They need to realize all food needs a pinch of salt. It was mentioned earlier Keith doesn't write dance music. I disagree his music just requires a more subtle body motion compared to Mick's GGG dance songs...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 3, 2017 16:20

Doxa
KRiffhard

British Grove Studios?

- Doxa

Looks like seperation all the way... More or less the BtB working method, which must not necessarly be a bad sign, as BtB is their best studio album between Steel Wheels and now. If they can't work like in the old days this approach is the only thing they can possibly do to get a new Stones album together. Better than no new Stones album at all. And miracles sometimes still happen. If the outcome will be a true late-career masterpiece or simply tastes right, I will care a shit about how it was cooked.

Posted by: ReginaPhalange ()
Date: December 3, 2017 16:34

Doxa
KRiffhard

British Grove Studios?

- Doxa

I think Jagger is in LA. He was there earlier in the week for an interview and yesterday Matt Clifford posted a photo on Instagram in what looks to be the same studio as Jagger’s photo. In the caption he said it’s a studio in Hollywood.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: December 3, 2017 16:50

Maybe Keith and Mick are both kind of testing some studios here and there to see which one suits better for recording the new album??

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 3, 2017 16:53

eduardoacdc
Maybe Keith and Mick are both kind of testing some studios here and there to see which one suits better for recording the new album??

Forget it. They dont wanna work together anymore, and its been like that for a long time.
Jeroen

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 3, 2017 17:14

eduardoacdc

That's very odd considering how many studios they've been in over the last, oh...

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: December 3, 2017 18:41

I hope they use a great studio with nice acoustics, and last but not the very least : Don't (let) it ruin it in the mastering stage with earbleeding loudness. Let the music breathe with a nice dynamic range.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 3, 2017 18:46

A lot of speculation above based on one photo with Mick Jagger in a studio. Band members-- in a lot of bands-- often do work in the studio without other band members around, and we know the Stones record all over the place, so any news is good news as far as I see it. They've been in the studio together, they may be again, and who knows how much is complete and whether or not finishing touches are being made or ??? Either way, we'll get some new music from them sometime. Hopefully soon!

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: December 3, 2017 18:50

Mick is definitely in a recording studio in Los Angeles. The band recorded there before. The photo is from Studio B at this particular venue.

Date: December 3, 2017 18:51

barbabang
I hope they use a great studio with nice acoustics, and last but not the very least : Don't (let) it ruin it in the mastering stage with earbleeding loudness. Let the music breathe with a nice dynamic range.

TOO LATE!

If anything this new record will be overmastered.

Date: December 3, 2017 18:55

BTB wasn't all bad.

The Mick Sides
Anybody Seen My Baby
Out Of Control
Saint Of Me

The Keith Sides
Lowdown
You Don't Have To Mean It
Thief In The Night
How Can I Stop

The Stones Sides
Flip The Switch
Too Tight

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: December 3, 2017 19:17

There are several pictures of Keith in that New York studio on his Facebook page. Its Studio 1 at that location. Some of those photos date back 2 or 3 years. Looks like its his current favourite for writing and recording.

From this and the Mick photo (in LA) I'm guessing they are doing demos of songs for the band to record sometime soon.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: December 3, 2017 19:17

GasLightStreet
barbabang

TOO LATE!

If anything this new record will be overmastered.

Universal seems to want to use Marcussen as engineer. Hopefully it is recorded with dynamics intact and maybe on tape too.

In the case they eventually switch from record company they are able to use good dynamics second time around.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 3, 2017 19:28

So Keith is in New York, and Mick is in L.A.?

Hmmm...maybe not as worrisome as it might seem in today's world with skype, etc.
With the proper setup, Keith, Mick, Charlie, and Ronnie could all separately be in the furthest corners of the world - the only nuisance would be the trying to coordinate based on the differing time zones.

I have a feeling they're still working out some kinks separately - Mick might be readjusting some of his demos to appease Keith, while Keith might be conjuring up another "dynamite" riff or two to add to his three that he blabbed about last year.

Whatever the case, nice to see they're each in a studio - even if they're separated by approximately 2500 miles. thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...949596979899100101102103104...LastNext
Current Page: 99 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home