Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8485868788899091929394...LastNext
Current Page: 89 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 17, 2017 08:36

Hairball
Not sure about that Ian...all I know is there were quite a few who used to post here and then suddenly seemed to vanish!
Anyhow, don't want to speculate - there's enough of that in this thread. thumbs up

I see... and agree.

Hats off to ya, mate.

Date: November 17, 2017 08:39

TeddyB1018
The 2018 U.K. tour is not taking up “most of the year”. The Stones (both of them) have every plan and intention of releasing a new album sometime next year.

thumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 17, 2017 10:20

TeddyB1018
The 2018 U.K. tour is not taking up “most of the year”. The Stones (both of them) have every plan and intention of releasing a new album sometime next year.

Great,thanks Teddy !
Jeroen

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 17, 2017 13:56

Doxa
I sometimes wonder how much kicks some do get from repeating again and again in any thread considering whatever that "how much I like or not Jagger's or Richards's recent solo stuff or them as musicians/persons', no matter how irrelevant to the given discussion that opinion is. But me, me, me!!!! I have an opinion!!!!!!

But a good note is that the Stones will - most likely - release a new album. That's great. Let's review it when it is released.

- Doxa

Wise words, Doxa - as usual. We'll see how things will develop - maybe it's the Stones very own "Chinese Democracy". But, hey, even the GNR original finally appeared after 10 years waiting...

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: November 18, 2017 16:02

I waited 50 years for Blue and Lonesome. Proving that patience is a virtue.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 18, 2017 17:53

ycagwywpmd

50 years for an album of blues covers?
That is dedication, but you could have just listened to all the originals!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 18, 2017 18:19

Hairball
ycagwywpmd

thumbs up

Date: November 18, 2017 18:21

Hairball
ycagwywpmd

The Stones introduced me to the Blues, for which I am eternally grateful.
Quote Keith: when we started playing in London in 1962 we started off with Chicago Blues. If you wanted stardom and fame then that was not the way to go.

So they changed direction and I stuck with them, after all, we all have to earn a living, don't we? But B & L completed a circle, it was good to revisit the beginning, and what a ride it's been. Even if another album never sees the light of day, wouldn't this album be just a brilliant one to finish on?

I wish people would stop whining and make the most of the times we've all had.
Of course another album would be a bonus, but if it doesn't happen, well, maybe that's the way it's meant to be

Date: November 18, 2017 18:28

ycagwywpmd
Hairball
ycagwywpmd

The Stones introduced me to the Blues, for which I am eternally grateful.
Quote Keith: when we started playing in London in 1962 we started off with Chicago Blues. If you wanted stardom and fame then that was not the way to go.

So they changed direction and I stuck with them, after all, we all have to earn a living, don't we? But B & L completed a circle, it was good to revisit the beginning, and what a ride it's been. Even if another album never sees the light of day, wouldn't this album be just a brilliant one to finish on?

I wish people would stop whining and make the most of the times we've all had.
Of course another album would be a bonus, but if it doesn't happen, well, maybe that's the way it's meant to be

Agreed to all of the above. thumbs up

I think some of the "whining", speculation, and all around discussion in this thread comes from frustration as the Stones have been talking about a new album of originals for the last couple of years, and they haven't released a new album of originals in almost 13 years. But yes, if Blue and Lonesome is the end, can't think of a better way to close the book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-18 18:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 18, 2017 19:21

Charlie said this in 2010: Well, it's always been "next year" - it's been like that for two years. We'll go on the road when Keith's bored, when his book's out of the way and he's bored, and Ronnie's bored. At the moment, they're both not bored. Bored enough, I mean. So I think that will happen. How long and how we do it will be another thing. It takes a lot of thought, an awful lot, and it usually takes a lot of time.

Keith in 2010: There are gems in the vault, but more interesting to me is that everybody's ready to go out there again. Who said it should stop and who said when? That's what we want to find out. We'll know when it really comes to an end, with a crashing halt. After these many years working together, we have a lot of unfinished stuff to work on that we had to leave off the last album. And knowing Mick, as I do, he's a very prolific writer. And I have ideas, and we'll put them together in December or January, something like that... We're looking forward to working.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

There was a lot of 'oh maybe' for years before what eventually happened in late 2012. And that was just for touring. Once they got going, Keith said in 2013: I came to terms with it. Quite right, at the beginning (I thought), Oh, all we’re going to do is regurgitate the past. Is that all we have left? With a band that’s been going this long, you’re bound to have fallow periods and there’s going to be periods where it all suddenly hits the spot, and hopefully this year (2013) is one of them.

In June, Keith said this about recording: It's all very hush-hush. I'm going over to London for a bit, so I'll find out more then.... We're going to talk about (recording an album) in July and see. I mean, I'd love to get some tracks down and see what songs we've got. And that goes along with part of getting the band back together and getting things moving. So I'd love to cut some tracks, yeah.... I have no doubt (Mick and I write together again).

From there it was just the same 'Oh I'm writing' and blah blah blah about time and we'll see what happens. They've had LOADS of time. It all appears very lazy in strict regard to their expressing wanting to do a new Stones album. A lot like someone being half pregnant.

Date: November 18, 2017 21:21

GasLightStreet
Charlie said this in 2010: Well, it's always been "next year" - it's been like that for two years. We'll go on the road when Keith's bored, when his book's out of the way and he's bored, and Ronnie's bored. At the moment, they're both not bored. Bored enough, I mean. So I think that will happen. How long and how we do it will be another thing. It takes a lot of thought, an awful lot, and it usually takes a lot of time.

Keith in 2010: There are gems in the vault, but more interesting to me is that everybody's ready to go out there again. Who said it should stop and who said when? That's what we want to find out. We'll know when it really comes to an end, with a crashing halt. After these many years working together, we have a lot of unfinished stuff to work on that we had to leave off the last album. And knowing Mick, as I do, he's a very prolific writer. And I have ideas, and we'll put them together in December or January, something like that... We're looking forward to working.

There was a lot of 'oh maybe' for years before what eventually happened in late 2012. And that was just for touring. Once they got going, Keith said in 2013: I came to terms with it. Quite right, at the beginning (I thought), Oh, all we’re going to do is regurgitate the past. Is that all we have left? With a band that’s been going this long, you’re bound to have fallow periods and there’s going to be periods where it all suddenly hits the spot, and hopefully this year (2013) is one of them.

In June, Keith said this about recording: It's all very hush-hush. I'm going over to London for a bit, so I'll find out more then.... We're going to talk about (recording an album) in July and see. I mean, I'd love to get some tracks down and see what songs we've got. And that goes along with part of getting the band back together and getting things moving. So I'd love to cut some tracks, yeah.... I have no doubt (Mick and I write together again).

From there it was just the same 'Oh I'm writing' and blah blah blah about time and we'll see what happens. They've had LOADS of time. It all appears very lazy in strict regard to their expressing wanting to do a new Stones album. A lot like someone being half pregnant.

I can understand how this could leave many people disappointed. But on the plus side, we got Blue and Lonesome, which was entirely unexpected. Sometimes, despite our best hopes, dreams, efforts, intentions and aspirations, things don't work out the way we hope, expect, or intended. It's called life. And my glass is definitely half full.

Date: November 18, 2017 23:39

If the last two original tunes they release are the throwaway Doom and Gloom and One More Shot - it will be a pity.

Date: November 19, 2017 02:37

GasLightStreet

Right ...but there is one big 'but' .. They actually followed through within the last year and a half or so. they actually got in the studio with people and have been working on an album.

Before ..with the comments you mention it was simply Keith being hopeful .. It has officially started and they actually began work on this thing a long time ago. It is a factual entity .. a real life happening as far as this record is concerned... It's actually been implemented .. What you speak of above is simply Keith saying .. yeah I hope we record again some day (in so many words).

What we have now and for the last year or two is that actually happening.

One is based on words.. the other has been based on 'actions. .... Completely different scenarios.

Date: November 19, 2017 03:01

Yes Ian, and then Getta Grip/England Lost happened - in other words Setback/Delay - probably best referred to as Another Bump in the Road (pt. 6).
Had Keith been willing to participate in that it might have been smooth sailing, but instead they hit some patchy weather and rough seas. Eventually they went off on tour and the furthest thing from their mind was the supposed new album which is a shame because it might have been an opportune time to flesh out some ideas and/or to work their differences and find common ground. As mpj200 pointed out, there were no conversations about anything other than the tour at hand - itinerary, setlists, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-19 03:04 by Hairball.

Date: November 19, 2017 03:20

Hairball
Yes Ian, and then Getta Grip/England Lost happened - in other words Setback/Delay - probably best referred to as Another Bump in the Road (pt. 6).
Had Keith been willing to participate in that it might have been smooth sailing, but instead they hit some patchy weather and rough seas. Eventually they went off on tour and the furthest thing from their mind was the supposed new album which is a shame because it might have been an opportune time to flesh out some ideas and/or to work their differences and find common ground. As mpj200 pointed out, there were no conversations about anything other than the tour at hand - itinerary, setlists, etc.

How would mpj200 know what they spoke about? Was he in their dressing rooms? Sure.. nothing official was commenced but I am sure the new material / new album was mentioned between them one or two times.

Rolling Stone Magazine reported it... The Stones are saying it... their producer is saying it...their record company is saying it.

Folks ..the record is happening lol Not all these sources are lying. They have 1/2 of it done. Plan is to finish it later this year and over into the next.

I don't know what part of this ya-all cannot accept? .. .... It seems as if folks refuse to accept or dont 'want' to believe it. Its already been worked on and the plan is to finish it. Im sure whatever studio they choose has them scheduled. Im sure their producer has adjusted his schedule as well. Keiths guitar tech ...others. They know its to come and I can assure you they know the dates.

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-19 03:23 by IanBillen.

Date: November 19, 2017 03:38

Ian - when I had previously mentioned that maybe/hopefully they had discussed the new album while on tour you were saying "why would they talk about a new album on tour"?!!! I tended to agree with you as Keith and Mick don't spend any time together other than sharing the stage. But now you're saying the exact opposite, doubting the words of trustworthy mpj200! Hard to keep up with you sometimes!

And what are your thoughts on Getta Grip/England Lost aka Setback/Delay aka Another Bump in the Road (pt. 6) ?
Do you think that might have caused any division with the band regarding a new Stones album, or are you simply overlooking the facts?

Date: November 19, 2017 04:35

Hairball
Ian - when I had previously mentioned that maybe/hopefully they had discussed the new album while on tour you were saying "why would they talk about a new album on tour"?!!! I tended to agree with you as Keith and Mick don't spend any time together other than sharing the stage. But now you're saying the exact opposite, doubting the words of trustworthy mpj200! Hard to keep up with you sometimes!

And what are your thoughts on Getta Grip/England Lost aka Setback/Delay aka Another Bump in the Road (pt. 6) ?
Do you think that might have caused any division with the band regarding a new Stones album, or are you simply overlooking the facts?

Right... I still stand by that ...why would they. What I am saying is I am sure they referenced it and/ or the new material. I dont think they sat down and talked and worked on the songs.. I simply mean Im sure it came up ..the subject of the record once or twice....

As in them knowing understanding it is still a on plans to finish and release the next year.

We dont know why Get a Grip was released. I think Keith didnt like them and the rest of the group agreed it wasx not Stones material. I dont think it was showing ...'hey ..Mick is going solo (remember.. the rest of The Stones ..minus Keith plays on those songs).

I think it was a feeler outer... and I think it was released bc they agreed it did not belong on The Next Stones record. I dont think it was this big .. division of the group and a big stop to the concept of a new Stones record. I think it was an agreement that it did not belong entirely on a Stones album (although it was certainly introduced to the band).

I dont think any sort of fight or division took place that signaled the end of the next Stones album ...then or now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-19 04:40 by IanBillen.

Date: November 19, 2017 04:54

I recall georgelicks (I think it was him) saying it was decided Getta Grip would be a Mick single once Keith refused to play on it, and then used as a test to see what kind of success it had and the general audience reaction. The results could then be used as a possible direction for the supposed new Stones album. But...since it pretty much "failed", not sure how that affected the supposed new album plans. Maybe Mick has since realized it was a wrong direction, and has since decided to scrap his 40 demos (or most of them) and write some new material? Or maybe he's giving Keith's ideas (aka "dynamite riffs") some more room to flourish and evolve - no matter how rough those ideas were and how long it takes. At this rate, we could be here for years speculating before any new album of originals see the light of day - 2023 is only six years away!

Date: November 19, 2017 06:42

Hairball
I recall georgelicks (I think it was him) saying it was decided Getta Grip would be a Mick single once Keith refused to play on it, and then used as a test to see what kind of success it had and the general audience reaction. The results could then be used as a possible direction for the supposed new Stones album. But...since it pretty much "failed", not sure how that affected the supposed new album plans. Maybe Mick has since realized it was a wrong direction, and has since decided to scrap his 40 demos (or most of them) and write some new material? Or maybe he's giving Keith's ideas (aka "dynamite riffs") some more room to flourish and evolve - no matter how rough those ideas were and how long it takes. At this rate, we could be here for years speculating before any new album of originals see the light of day - 2023 is only six years away!

I think Georgelicks is right about the test bed ...but who knows about the part of Keith refusing to play on it. Keithcould of simply bowed out for thesake of the experiment / agreement / compromise.

I don't think it was in spite of the album .. I think it was meant to give indication and compromise so the album could be finished. Im only speculating....

If Mick were not in to A Rolling Stones album .. and was more interested in solo work exclusively he would of kept that song for a solo record next year and he would not be planning additional Rolling Stones tours -

Mick would of ended things after the Europeon tour and went his own way for solo jaunts next year. He hasnt .. The Stones have plans next year.. that tells you everything you need to know about it and his commitment to the band for another year... that also lends more fuel to the album being finished and released some time during it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-19 06:45 by IanBillen.

Date: November 19, 2017 06:53

Right - and nobody is saying any of them has thrown in the towel and scrapped the supposed new album altogether - but I thought we made that clear already? Mick intended Getta Drip/England Lost for the supposed new album, but that was where things turned a bit ugly. Instead, and this is obviously pure speculation, Mick said "ok then Keith, I'll send it out as a solo single instead and show you how to do things properly in this modern day and age". In turn Keith said "go ahead mate and knock yourself out, but that crap is NOT going on a Stones album". So there we have it...the band at a crossroads - wondering which direction the supposed new album is supposed to be heading. Mick wants "experimental" contemporary stuff, while Keith wants it to be more traditional. Which way it goes is anyone's guess (if it goes at all)...maybe they could do a double album with half going in Mick's direction and the other half going in Keith's. Might be the best solution and the best of both worlds - everybody wins including the fans.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 19, 2017 13:58

I think the biggest reason for 'delaying' the finishing/releasing the new album was the incredible and unpredicted success of BLUE & LONESOME (relatively speaking their biggest since SOME GIRLS). It was relsesed with more or less with the philosphy of 'okay, let's relaese at laest something quickly now to keep the fans and the record company happy', but it turned out to be major hit album salewise. Had it flopped I guess the band and even more their record company had pushed for a better, more hyped product. Now it more like at the same time (a) made the both parties satisfied and 'no hurry to do anything' (b) set them a positive challenge - to top it or even go even salewise by a new album of originals is quite a task: that needs to be done and planned carefully. I am sure Universal is happy now: instead of the deal of one album, they will get two hit albums.

I would go so far as to claim that the success of BLUE & LONESOME is also the reason why Jagger was so hurry and eager to release a solo single stemming up from the Stones record sessions. There was no pressure for a new Stones stuff at the time, and a good timing for Mick to do and experiment something by his own (rather low profically), taken especially the topicality of the songs. No need to provoke any bigger Jagger/Richards drama here or some thin speculation about what happens 'at the kitchen' or something.

Personally I am happy how fruithful the sessions for the new album have actually turned to be - we already have had a blues album and a Jagger single before the actual album is even released. And even before the new album sessions we had a Keith Richards solo album. Surprisingly rich years for a Stones fan these past two years have been. And nothing indicates it will stop soon.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-19 15:06 by Doxa.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 19, 2017 14:45

Wow Doxa really like your recent positivity, and yes despite our impatience for "everything now" there should be more good stuff next year...smileys with beer

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 19, 2017 15:54

IanBillen
... they are obligated by contract...

Are they really? Will they be fined if they don't deliver within the agreed period? Hmm...

Reading between the lines (and interpreting...) it looks a bit like Mick's got 40+ songs demo'd and ready to record, and Keith doesn't like them but doesn't have any of his own, apart from a few ideas for riffs that still need being kicked about but Mick doesn't feel like spending weeks kicking about a one-and-a-half chord riff to make it useable.

If there is really so much disagreement between the two as to which direction the new stuff should take, and no way to compromize, maybe the wisest thing to do would be to go both ways at the same time. In the worst case we get two - very different - new albums at once. And one year later, their record company could release a Best Of culled from both albums, even with a few bonus tracks maybe ... Although, it appears to me that much Stones stuff was great because neither Mick nor Keith got their respective ways but they had to compromize. But what do I know.

But anyway, the way I recall the various posts here, they haven't really spent *that* much time yet in the studio. I mean, it's not that they spent 6+ months in the studio without a break working on the stuff 10 hrs a day, and nothing became of it.

Personally, I don't care whether a song was written by Mick, or Keith, or Ronnie, or - noone ever thinks of that - maybe even Charlie, as long as I like it (and if I don't, I don't care who wrote it either ...). But I'm not all to unhappy that Grip and Lost were kept off the new album. They can do better.

Date: November 20, 2017 00:05

Hairball
Right - and nobody is saying any of them has thrown in the towel and scrapped the supposed new album altogether - but I thought we made that clear already? Mick intended Getta Drip/England Lost for the supposed new album, but that was where things turned a bit ugly. Instead, and this is obviously pure speculation, Mick said "ok then Keith, I'll send it out as a solo single instead and show you how to do things properly in this modern day and age". In turn Keith said "go ahead mate and knock yourself out, but that crap is NOT going on a Stones album". So there we have it...the band at a crossroads - wondering which direction the supposed new album is supposed to be heading. Mick wants "experimental" contemporary stuff, while Keith wants it to be more traditional. Which way it goes is anyone's guess (if it goes at all)...maybe they could do a double album with half going in Mick's direction and the other half going in Keith's. Might be the best solution and the best of both worlds - everybody wins including the fans.

Good... I keep forgetting you feel the album is still on. Some people here think it will never come ... Most of those are the same folks who three years ago said The Stones would never enter the studio again to record an album ...ever .. ..Now here we are and we have had not only one album .. but another is on the way. Just keep this in mind and just keeping the naysayers in perspective.

Not sure exactly how much the band was at a cross roads but blurbs and in reading between the lines suggested they were to a degree. Hopfully they are all on board as to how to go about getting the right product and in /via the right way for exactly that (...which I think they are bc Mick was quoted as saying they 'want to get it right').

I think they know what they are doing .. they have arguably more experience than anyone at making albums.. and the people who are working on it understand them and also are pros at it. I trust they are doing the right thing and taking the correct steps and measures with it.

>> Hopefully ...very...very hopefully we will get the best possible product and get a hell of an album.

Ian

Date: November 20, 2017 00:21

To clarify Ian - just because I still think the plans for the supposed new album are on (they do send out subtle smoke signals occasionally ala "working on it"), does not necessarily mean I think it will ever be completed any time soon. Not saying it won't ever happen, but at this rate it could be a LONG time before it ever gets done. After 13 years of waiting, what's another 2,3,4, or even 5 years. If that's what it takes, so be it. Will it ever get finished and will it be worthy? Those are the two key questions, but none of us are fortune tellers and only time will tell. Working on it in December? Maybe, maybe not. Meanwhile this thread is sort of at a dead end unfortunately until further notice - either from inside sources or the band members themselves. December is less than a couple of weeks away - hopefully we'll have some more info. by then! thumbs up

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 20, 2017 00:50

doitywoik
IanBillen

Are they really?

UMG's 2008 announcement does mention "new" music, but doesn't speak to a number - or obligation.

Acquisition of the band's catalog was clearly the key to the deal.

[www.universalmusic.com]

Bob Lefsetz's take on that announcement - "Insiders know those records are probably not guaranteed and will probably never be recorded…"

[lefsetz.com]

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 20, 2017 00:58

so long as Mick and Keith aren't working together, then I doubt we will see a new album. And I don't think they would ever put out an album with one side of Mick songs and another side of Keith material.
We got B&L because they hit a wall and couldn't work together and I doubt anything has changed since then.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 20, 2017 05:27

wonderboy
so long as Mick and Keith aren't working together, then I doubt we will see a new album. And I don't think they would ever put out an album with one side of Mick songs and another side of Keith material.

We ALMOST did with Bridges.....doesn't make it seem an impossible leap to a side each...I'd be pretty happy with anything now though, they aren't spring chickens anymore (nor ME!) ... so just get on with it lads!

Rod

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 20, 2017 05:56

Some blue-z love songs, please. xxoo

Date: November 20, 2017 06:35

doitywoik
IanBillen

Are they really? Will they be fined if they don't deliver within the agreed period? Hmm...

Reading between the lines (and interpreting...) it looks a bit like Mick's got 40+ songs demo'd and ready to record, and Keith doesn't like them but doesn't have any of his own, apart from a few ideas for riffs that still need being kicked about but Mick doesn't feel like spending weeks kicking about a one-and-a-half chord riff to make it useable.

If there is really so much disagreement between the two as to which direction the new stuff should take, and no way to compromize, maybe the wisest thing to do would be to go both ways at the same time. In the worst case we get two - very different - new albums at once. And one year later, their record company could release a Best Of culled from both albums, even with a few bonus tracks maybe ... Although, it appears to me that much Stones stuff was great because neither Mick nor Keith got their respective ways but they had to compromize. But what do I know.

But anyway, the way I recall the various posts here, they haven't really spent *that* much time yet in the studio. I mean, it's not that they spent 6+ months in the studio without a break working on the stuff 10 hrs a day, and nothing became of it.

Personally, I don't care whether a song was written by Mick, or Keith, or Ronnie, or - noone ever thinks of that - maybe even Charlie, as long as I like it (and if I don't, I don't care who wrote it either ...). But I'm not all to unhappy that Grip and Lost were kept off the new album. They can do better.

I could be wrong ..but I 'thought' The Stones had one more 'studio' album to fufill under their contract. I thought they had two new studio albums (and we already had B&L) and their entire catalog to be handled under Universal via the contract in 2008 / 2009?

'If' ..that is the case and that was the deal they would probably simply get less payout on future re-releases and current things on the market via Universal as a penalty.

Still not 100% sure but I thought they had two new studio albums to do with The Contract.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-20 06:35 by IanBillen.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8485868788899091929394...LastNext
Current Page: 89 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home