Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 16, 2017 05:38

I do have to give you credit, IanBillen, you are the most optimistic, look on the bright side, Mr. Glass Half Full around.

If they do ever release an album of new tunes, they should call it This One's for You IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 16, 2017 06:02

Yes maybe a tune dedicated to Ian....

"It's Only Rock'N'Roll (But Ian Likes It)
"Street Fighting Ian"
"Honky Tonk Ian"
"Ian's Blues"
"Sympathy for Ian"
"If Ian Was A Dancer (Dance Pt2)"
"Dancing With Mr. Ian"
"Crazy Ian"
"Laugh, Ian Nearly Died"
"Ian's Little Helper"
"If You Really Want to Be Ian's Friend"
"Just Want To See Ian's Face"
"Get Off Ian's Cloud"
"Everything's Turning to Ian"

winking smiley

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 16, 2017 06:14

Rokyfan
I do have to give you credit, IanBillen, you are the most optimistic, look on the bright side, Mr. Glass Half Full around.

If they do ever release an album of new tunes, they should call it This One's for You IanBillen.

I wouldn't say Im optomistic... Id say I am actually being 'realistic' ... at this point.

Here is why:

1. Their record contract...which has paid them millions requires it. They require another studio album contractually.

2. They started <official work> on the record and have been working on it (very slowly and in spurts sure... but still ..it has been started officially.. Its not an idea or a trial ..its been started and worked on...just very slowly)

They have worked on it a hand full of times.. officially .. studios booked.. musicians and engineers and record producers hired ... payroll is established.

3. Insiders and The Stones themselves say its still an official plan for next year .. as well as Universal is expecting it (their record company).

4. Unofficial word has it studio time is booked and Keith Richards just said he / they are working on it.

That's not optimism ... that's simply 'what is' That's just the facts surrounding it. Everything is pointing TO an album next year... not away from it Lol (thankfully). Its either that ... or Im crazy and imagining all of this.. .. ...

Now.... If this same set of circumstances occurred over the last 13 years since their last studio album I would not be as convinced.. If this same set of circumstances occurred several times in their past I would not be so convinced.. thats not the case... It hasnt. Sure they have mentioned starting records and havent but this thing is started... its in their contract.. its been being worked up for a while... studios are and have been booked.. their record company expects it... they are obligated by contract... etc. etc. Its different than a simple mention an interview that they would like to make a record or something like that. The situation is there.. its happening (or still a go). .

In short.. 'Its on' ..unless something bad happens .. hopefully they will remain healthy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-16 06:20 by IanBillen.

Date: November 16, 2017 06:16

Hairball
Yes maybe a tune dedicated to Ian....

"It's Only Rock'N'Roll (But Ian Likes It)
"Street Fighting Ian"
"Honky Tonk Ian"
"Ian's Blues"
"Sympathy for Ian"
"If Ian Was A Dancer (Dance Pt2)"
"Dancing With Mr. Ian"
"Crazy Ian"
"Laugh, Ian Nearly Died"
"Ian's Little Helper"
"If You Really Want to Be Ian's Friend"
"Just Want To See Ian's Face"
"Get Off Ian's Cloud"
"Everything's Turning to Ian"

winking smiley

You forgot "Ian's Love Is Strong' grinning smiley ...an Ode to their best single since Start Me Up IMO.

Date: November 16, 2017 06:55

Rokyfan
DandelionPowderman
So they are lying, and you know for a fact that that's correct?

Nobody is lying. About what? I think they honesty don't know if and when they will complete an album that they will release. They do things, at this point, on a short term basis. But, yeah, they have a few things in the can at varying states of completion so they are working on an album, like always. It has nothing to do with lying, it has to do with PR. Clearly, just my opinion, I don't know any of this for a fact (you mean, as opposed to the rest of the info on the thread, all known for a fact to be correct?).

You said Hairball's post was "correct"?

They don't go out officially saying they are working on a new album every year...

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: November 16, 2017 07:00

I'm sure they'd like to finish it, but getting everyone together has not been easy. With a tour planned, that removes most of next year. It's not like the old days. I believe the only way this album gets done is if they take a year off from touring. And if they take a year off from touring, they could be done.

It's a matter of choices right now. We shall see what happens.

Date: November 16, 2017 07:17

DandelionPowderman
Rokyfan
DandelionPowderman

Nobody is lying. About what? I think they honesty don't know if and when they will complete an album that they will release. They do things, at this point, on a short term basis. But, yeah, they have a few things in the can at varying states of completion so they are working on an album, like always. It has nothing to do with lying, it has to do with PR. Clearly, just my opinion, I don't know any of this for a fact (you mean, as opposed to the rest of the info on the thread, all known for a fact to be correct?).

They don't go out officially saying they are working on a new album every year...

I never said they are lying about anything (and Rokyfan isn't either), just that this latest tweet was probably said as a general/generic almost automated PR reply.
After all the hype of a new album the last year or more, what else is he going to say?

mpj200
I'm sure they'd like to finish it, but getting everyone together has not been easy. With a tour planned, that removes most of next year. It's not like the old days. I believe the only way this album gets done is if they take a year off from touring. And if they take a year off from touring, they could be done.

Thanks for the input and the sobering truth mpj200 - helps put things back in to perspective and balance the scales amidst all the overly optimistic speculation.
Hope they all can enjoy their golden years without the stress of constantly meeting demands everywhere they turn.

Date: November 16, 2017 08:17

So when a major publication says they are working on an album .. to be released at some point ..in giving a time frame... spring...summer...fall (which will happen)

And The Stones say they are working on one ..

What then?

I work at a recording studio ... with various bands and solo artists.

One act was in a few weeks ago. This is the acts third album .. They started it about a year ago. I have been there with them every time. They have worked in spurts .. in between shows. A few days here ...a week there.. a week here.

I asked him when they (his band) intends on releasing it .. He said next year... fall... hopefully.

We had an act in over the weekend that recorded 13 songs over three days. They have one more session for overdubbs and then mixing. Their album will be done in three stops. Different bands... different music... different process.

The former's situation is no different than The Stones...but on a grand scale.

Not <all> albums are made the same. Yes said artist is working on an album with his band slowly (as are the Stones). Yes said artist has worked in spurts.. taking a few months off in between (As The Stones have ...but even more over a longer period of time). He and his band definitely plans on releasing their album next year ... They (as The Stones have worked on it in small spurts in between doing live shows)... As have The Stones

I look at his album as I look at The Stones.. is it set to come out...sure. Is it official... sure plans are official ... Is it slow but sure? Yes.

Same is most likely the case with The Stones. I dont think they (The Stones) were satisfied entirely or in agreeance with the material for a little while .. So they took it very slow and waited to see how it could evolve or in trying some variations. That is the gist we got from them. They decided to do it gradually this time... because of the reasons above.

The record is still on. When The Stones or Rolling Stone Magazine reports it in a few months (which they already have) ...what will we be saying then? ... no... still wont happen? Its all wishful thinking? ...Lol

Their record producer who started it with them, their record company, and The Stones themselves ...not to mention a few key people here who may know the inside scoop ... They all have confirmed and are saying there is an album def in the works.. the sessions have been high energy ..and the album is set to arrive next year. Well What else is there? We never have had all that happen and not get an album from them.

Again .. sometimes it is what it is. And the record <is> well under way ... There are official plans to finish it .. and the record company and Stones plan on releasing it next year. All that is pretty much official. What else is there to debate?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-16 08:26 by IanBillen.

Date: November 16, 2017 08:41

The Stones don't play by anyone's rules or answer to anyone - they're the current Godfathers of rock and roll.
If Rolling Stone magazine (or any magazine) says something about them, it should be taken with a grain of salt.
Nobody has said the album is absolutely called off or is no longer on the table - it's all a matter of the stars aligning properly and that can't be forced.
They've hit several bumps since this so called new album journey began, so it's not unfathomable to think they might hit some more - in fact it's almost a guarantee.
In the meantime, they're finalizing plans for the upcoming UK tour (hopefully) which is probably taking most of their energy!

In the meantime, there's a massive catalogue of theirs to enjoy -starting from the beginning and their first single:

The Rolling Stones ~ Come On

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-16 08:52 by Hairball.

Date: November 16, 2017 09:13

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Rokyfan
DandelionPowderman

I never said they are lying about anything (and Rokyfan isn't either), just that this latest tweet was probably said as a general/generic almost automated PR reply.
After all the hype of a new album the last year or more, what else is he going to say?

mpj200

Thanks for the input and the sobering truth mpj200 - helps put things back in to perspective and balance the scales amidst all the overly optimistic speculation.
Hope they all can enjoy their golden years without the stress of constantly meeting demands everywhere they turn.

Call it what you want grinning smiley

<They occasionally put out "news" so people think they're still a functioning band>

Date: November 16, 2017 10:00

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Rokyfan
DandelionPowderman

mpj200

Call it what you want grinning smiley

<They occasionally put out "news" so people think they're still a functioning band>

Yet I posted that quote after you tried to call out Rokyfan.
And for the record, you edited out the last part of the sentence for some reason which said in full.
"They occasionally put out "news" so people think they're still a functioning band and to keep hope alive".
Not calling them liars (that's too strong a word)...more like crafty politicians putting a spin on the situation.
Evidently you're a believer!

Date: November 16, 2017 10:06

I have no reason not to believe that they're planning to release a new album. None of the speculation here as lead me to believe otherwise.

I picked a bit on Rokyfan, because he called your post «correct». But both you and I know that you were merely speculating without any factual knowledge about the situation smiling smiley

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: November 16, 2017 10:21

No matter when it's released or how good it might be: it will be teared to pieces here anyway ("worst since Dirty Work" etc.).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-16 10:22 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 16, 2017 10:21

In my opinion the album is almost finished, only one or two recording sessions 2/3 weeks and it will be ready...It has been only an UMG choice to postpone the release to sell BAL still in the charts up to now.So...A little bit of positive vibrations and a little bit of faith about this bunch of "old farts" and...Sparks will fly!

Date: November 16, 2017 10:23

Hairball
The Stones don't play by anyone's rules or answer to anyone - they're the current Godfathers of rock and roll.
If Rolling Stone magazine (or any magazine) says something about them, it should be taken with a grain of salt.
Nobody has said the album is absolutely called off or is no longer on the table - it's all a matter of the stars aligning properly and that can't be forced.
They've hit several bumps since this so called new album journey began, so it's not unfathomable to think they might hit some more - in fact it's almost a guarantee.
In the meantime, they're finalizing plans for the upcoming UK tour (hopefully) which is probably taking most of their energy!

In the meantime, there's a massive catalogue of theirs to enjoy -starting from the beginning and their first single:

The Rolling Stones ~ Come On

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ...I see now. I thought you thought they had scrapped it .. and gave up on it entirely ....or that you thought it was called off now because they aren't into it (which if by mid February rolled around and we had not yet heard anything about an album coming some time in 2018 at that point I would have to acknowledge that your assumption at that point would be very likely and that It would def not look like its gonna happen).

I agree. The Stones recording at this point is a very fragile / delicate thing. It takes the right approach .. and a little lady luck doesn't hurt at this stage either. Definitely not like it was in 72 ...or 74....or even 89. Now its sort of fragile... more delicate... and there is a health issue that God forbid could come into play at any time.

... Im keeping my fingers crossed.. but with that said.. Its still hopeful everything gets worked out properly and they stay healthy. Still a go .. andon plans like the UK tour is how I see it. I never thought that idea had a basis at all lol .. I must admit... >> Boy was I wrong. I simply thought that UK tour was all simply wishful thinking. I mean... I thought eventually if they could they would do a UK tour at some point but I never thought one was in the making behind the scenes as was said. I thought it had no basis what so ever. Looks to be it def has a basis and is on plans as well.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-16 10:33 by IanBillen.

Date: November 16, 2017 10:43

DandelionPowderman
I have no reason not to believe that they're planning to release a new album. None of the speculation here as lead me to believe otherwise.

I picked a bit on Rokyfan, because he called your post «correct». But both you and I know that you were merely speculating without any factual knowledge about the situation smiling smiley

Indeed, and I don't think any of us have any absolute factual information other than they've recorded a few random bits here and there. We all know they've been saying they're planning to release a new album (that's a fact) and nobody is denying that, but the question really is how dedicated and focused they are to completing it. As said in an earlier post, Keith saying "working on it" doesn't mean much imo as there are no details given, and it sounds like it was written by a robot. At the slow rate they've been at it (with all the bumps in the road), being skeptical shouldn't really be equated with calling them liars. mpj200 has given some input that is good food for thought: "I believe the only way this album gets done is if they take a year off from touring". And since they're planning on a UK tour starting in May, one can only wonder how a new album will ever see the light of day. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Monsoon Ragoon
No matter when it's released or how good it might be: it will be teared to pieces here anyway ("worst since Dirty Work" etc.).

You're probably right about that - after all this fuss, the new album (if there is one) will probably be another dud. jk

IanBillen
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ...I see now. I thought you thought they had scrapped it .. and gave up on it entirely ....

No Ian, I don't recall ever giving up all hope and thinking they scrapped it, though I may have expressed some strong doubts.
As long as this thread is alive, there's still a small glimmer of hope. thumbs up

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 16, 2017 11:07

I consider you an optimist not so much for thinking there will be another album. If they live long enough, I'm sure sooner or later something will come out and if one of them dies they'll bring out some "homage" album.
I consider you an optimist for wanting them to bring a new album out. I'd rather they didn't. I know that makes me sound like a terrible, grumpy, anti-Stones beast, but I honestly cannot understand how anyone who loves their best work could hope for a new album from them now.

Date: November 16, 2017 11:10

matxil
I consider you an optimist not so much for thinking there will be another album. If they live long enough, I'm sure sooner or later something will come out and if one of them dies they'll bring out some "homage" album.
I consider you an optimist for wanting them to bring a new album out. I'd rather they didn't. I know that makes me sound like a terrible, grumpy, anti-Stones beast, but I honestly cannot understand how anyone who loves their best work could hope for a new album from them now.

Blue And Lonesome showed that they still can deliver the goods playing-wise. The fact that they're taking their time with the writing bodes well for the new album, imo.

So, is the glass half full or half empty? Depends on the eyes of the beholder.

As a fan I'll always be optimistic. Or else I wouldn't be fan - or even worse: I wouldn't care.

Date: November 16, 2017 11:12

As I've said before, I'd be much happier with another Keith solo album at this point.

Date: November 16, 2017 12:03

DandelionPowderman
matxil

Blue And Lonesome showed that they still can deliver the goods playing-wise. The fact that they're taking their time with the writing bodes well for the new album, imo.

As a fan I'll always be optimistic. Or else I wouldn't be fan - or even worse: I wouldn't care.

Their glass is neither full nor empty, it's broken.

The fact that they take so long doesn't mean anything good, quite the opposite. It means they're really not sure about it. You know my opinion about B&L and it hasn't changed, although I listen to it occasionally (skipping the shuffle-blues songs). It's an okay album but I don't want the band that made EOMS, LiB, Beggar's Banquet or Tattoo You to turn out okay albums.

Date: November 16, 2017 12:03

Hairball
As I've said before, I'd be much happier with another Keith solo album at this point.

thumbs up

Date: November 16, 2017 12:30

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil

Their glass is neither full nor empty, it's broken.

The fact that they take so long doesn't mean anything good, quite the opposite. It means they're really not sure about it. You know my opinion about B&L and it hasn't changed, although I listen to it occasionally (skipping the shuffle-blues songs). It's an okay album but I don't want the band that made EOMS, LiB, Beggar's Banquet or Tattoo You to turn out okay albums.

I was talking about our glasses grinning smiley

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 16, 2017 14:57

I believe, to make peace one should start threads
Another Stones studio album in 2019
Another Stones studio album in 2020
Another Stones studio album in 2021
Another Stones studio album in 2022
One of those maybe come true.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 16, 2017 15:21

Hairball

...particularly if new songs are horrible like Gotta Get a Grip/England Lost.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 16, 2017 15:30

How much money do they make on albums anyway? They should at least put out a single and B side early next year to wet our appetites.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 16, 2017 15:38

Over 2 million worldwide=money,don't you!?!thumbs up

Date: November 16, 2017 15:45

mailexile67
Over 2 million worldwide=money,don't you!?!thumbs up

That was a blues-album, though smiling smiley

But, by all means, repeat that! thumbs up

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 16, 2017 16:45

KRiffhard
Hairball

In contrast, I for one, on the other hand, would rather have a “Mick Jagger and Stones Friends” album than a Keith Richards album or a watered-down Stones album, type VOODOO LOUNGE at this stage. I won't deny anybody having another Keith Richards album though, but I am not myself looking forward, as I have to, to listen at least 25 times to it, if it would be more or less a CROSS-EYED HEART, vol 2 album. (However, a TALK IS CHEAP-like album I will probably enjoy to some extent, even if also such an album would be quite backwardlooking.)

Date: November 16, 2017 17:05

Witness
KRiffhard
Hairball

In contrast, I for one, on the other hand, would rather have a “Mick Jagger and Stones Friends” album than a Keith Richards album or a watered-down Stones album, type VOODOO LOUNGE at this stage. I won't deny anybody having another Keith Richards album though, but I am not myself looking forward, as I have to, to listen at least 25 times to it, if it would be more or less a CROSS-EYED HEART, vol 2 album. (However, a TALK IS CHEAP-like album I will probably enjoy to some extent, even if also such an album would be quite backwardlooking.)

They're in their mid-70s. How much forward-looking do you expect them to be?

Jagger's single was also retro, btw, 90s retro, that is.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 16, 2017 17:11

ANY studio time is excellent news.
I am sure the record company wonders:
Should we hold off releasing any new RS music
until 1 of the 4 becomes 3 signaling the end?
Probably $$$$$
But consider this!
We will all be too heartbroken and won’t want to listen,
mark my words. Rock and roll no more.
We are here now ready to party.
Let’s do it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50