Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8081828384858687888990...LastNext
Current Page: 85 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 2, 2017 09:50

IanBillen
Hairball
Seems they've run out of steam on this...has the well run dry?

The follow up to Doom and Gloom could be a new single titled Grim and Dim b/w Two More Shots.
Or maybe Gotta take a Trip b/w England First...with multiple remixes.

By early next year we will know .. If all of January and February goes by and we hear nothing of new sessions or the next Rolling Stones album you can consider it pretty much fact... they ran out of steam on it.

If we hear nothing (no blurbs from them about getting back into the studio or the next album) within the next three months about said album .. the project is toast. However I am still optimistic (cautiously). I think they still plan on finishing it and releasing it next year.

If we are getting to mid February and we hear nothing ... No mention from them about recording or upcoming sessions.. no nothing about said album ...I would consider it out of steam.

Let's HOPE they are just taking this one really .. really slow.. and cautiously in trying to make the best possible record they can this time. Hopefully they are 'cultivating' it... not shunning or forgetting it in trying to assure the strongest effort they can make in a studio release.

Ian

Cautiously optimistic is probably the proper outlook at this point, even though things seem bleak.

By definition, "cultivate" means they are actively working on it which isn't the case right now. Marinate might be a better way of putting it, or letting it slowly stew. But the fact that it's now on the backburner, there's a chance that all the work that might have been done will evaporate resulting in nothing but faded memories.

Looking forward to any updates that might give us some HOPE, but only time will tell. Maybe Ronnie will give us more some hints after he unwinds from the recent tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-02 09:52 by Hairball.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 2, 2017 10:29

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball

The follow up to Doom and Gloom could be a new single titled Grim and Dim b/w Two More Shots.
Or maybe Gotta take a Trip b/w England First...with multiple remixes.

By early next year we will know .. If all of January and February goes by and we hear nothing of new sessions or the next Rolling Stones album you can consider it pretty much fact... they ran out of steam on it.

If we hear nothing (no blurbs from them about getting back into the studio or the next album) within the next three months about said album .. the project is toast. However I am still optimistic (cautiously). I think they still plan on finishing it and releasing it next year.

If we are getting to mid February and we hear nothing ... No mention from them about recording or upcoming sessions.. no nothing about said album ...I would consider it out of steam.

Let's HOPE they are just taking this one really .. really slow.. and cautiously in trying to make the best possible record they can this time. Hopefully they are 'cultivating' it... not shunning or forgetting it in trying to assure the strongest effort they can make in a studio release.

Ian

Cautiously optimistic is probably the proper outlook at this point, even though things seem bleak.

By definition, "cultivate" means they are actively working on it which isn't the case right now. Marinate might be a better way of putting it, or letting it slowly stew. But the fact that it's now on the backburner, there's a chance that all the work that might have been done will evaporate resulting in nothing but faded memories.

Looking forward to any updates that might give us some HOPE, but only time will tell. Maybe Ronnie will give us more some hints after he unwinds from the recent tour.

But my guy (or gal) .. it does not look 'bleak' .. Only the people on this board and a few others have that thought. the Stones never discounted the record. In fact.. they said they want to get it right (per Mick words).

The Stones camp has never once said there is no album .. or stated that there were no plans to finish it. The Stones are at this point set to finish it after the tour early next year for release sometime in summer or fall of 2018 was the plan as of mid summer.

Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie all have said they are working on a new record and all have hinted there is no rush on it but offically it's been started. Don Was said the energy and the sessions were '@#$%& great'. He also said they have been working on it in bursts.. not consistently.. but in spurts / bursts.

The only reason everyone is so down about it is because everyone here says its not going to happen? They said the same thing three years ago ...in that The Stones would never enter the studio again since then we have a new record (Blue & Lonesome ...though covers) and another on the way that has been officially worked on at least three or four times already that we know of.

All this bleak stuff .. is early. If it was the middle of February and we got word The Stones including Mick were into other things with no mention ever of the album I would agree. Give it three or four months.. before jumping the gun. If nothing happens within that time frame we will have a pretty darn good idea that plans are on hold or scrapped indefinitely .. but give em until early next year to say it looks bleak. Remember, ..they already have a good start on it. Id guess it is 1/2 done at this point. Who knows.. they just may be in the studio within this month or next to work on it some more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-02 10:34 by IanBillen.

Date: November 2, 2017 19:30

Ian, I am indeed a guy (not a gal). smileys with beer

Bleak might have been too strong a word, so lets just say things really aren't looking that bright. And not to sound too doomy and gloomy as I am being cautiously optimistic (an understatement), but somewhere in your timeline above there have been quotes from band members (maybe it was only Ronnie) where they were going to start afresh on all of the material. And then there was Mick's diversion from the band with Getta Grip which seemed like the entire process of the "new" album was going one step forward, and then two steps back. Keith refusing to play on it couldn't have helped the vibe in the studio! Then there was a tour that diverted all of their attention away from the new album, and unfortunately there was no talk at about it amongst the band (see mpj200's post). Seems in between shows or during soundcheck might have been an opportune time to maybe discuss it - even one new song, but as far as we know all was quiet on the battle front. Meanwhile, the tour is over, and Mick was "dating" a 22 year old - do you think he cares about being locked in a studio with Keith any time soon? Then there's Ronnie happily back home with his wife and twins, and Charlie needing a well deserved rest and probably more worried about his horses than a new album. A for Keith, who knows...maybe hibernating like Rip Van Winkle waiting for the UK tour to begin. Either that, or smoking gigantic spliffs and re-organizing his massive record collection. smoking smiley

Hopefully they do have some time to get something done with the new material (if any of it still exists), but with the UK tour on the horizon, they can only give so much of themselves to the band itself.
There's more to life beyond the Rolling Stones and fans expectations for them, and at this point in their 50+ year career, can you blame them for taking their sweet time?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 2, 2017 20:36

if Keith starts pushing for recording, as he likes to do after tours, that makes it more likely itll be sooner than later...

how's that for optimism.

grinning smiley

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 2, 2017 20:41

My opinion is that there will be another one studio time likely in February about 2 weeks, then mixing and overdubs and the album will be ready.It will come out or in June for UK Tour or in early December for Christmas time...This is it!(2 years in & out from a recording studio with a total of 2 months and so on of work...C'mon mates be serious!

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: November 2, 2017 22:01

I hope they put out a great new album and tour behind it.

I'm getting bored with BS, TD, SMU and some others live.

Date: November 3, 2017 00:07

Agreed with both of the above posts.

The blues covers was OK, and could be considered their best effort since '81, but alas it was only covers in which the originals are all superior imo. On the plus side, they were able to add a few to their live recent setlists where they truly shined, but for me the album itself just doesn't have any staying power and has been gathering dust since a couple of weeks after it's release. Really can't be bothered with it when there's a million other blues artists with originals I'd rather listen to.'

Maybe something new will transpire after the success of the blues album. Keith had hinted at a B&L pt.II, and/or he wants to stick with a more rootsier/Stonesy vibe, while Mick want to explore "newer" ground ala Getta Grip. That seems to be the dilemma with this going forward, and unless they can compromoise andbend a little to negotiate their visions, seems they're stuck in a rut going nowhere fast.

Date: November 3, 2017 00:23

Hairball
Ian, I am indeed a guy (not a gal). smileys with beer

Bleak might have been too strong a word, so lets just say things really aren't looking that bright. And not to sound too doomy and gloomy as I am being cautiously optimistic (an understatement), but somewhere in your timeline above there have been quotes from band members (maybe it was only Ronnie) where they were going to start afresh on all of the material. And then there was Mick's diversion from the band with Getta Grip which seemed like the entire process of the "new" album was going one step forward, and then two steps back. Keith refusing to play on it couldn't have helped the vibe in the studio! Then there was a tour that diverted all of their attention away from the new album, and unfortunately there was no talk at about it amongst the band (see mpj200's post). Seems in between shows or during soundcheck might have been an opportune time to maybe discuss it - even one new song, but as far as we know all was quiet on the battle front. Meanwhile, the tour is over, and Mick was "dating" a 22 year old - do you think he cares about being locked in a studio with Keith any time soon? Then there's Ronnie happily back home with his wife and twins, and Charlie needing a well deserved rest and probably more worried about his horses than a new album. A for Keith, who knows...maybe hibernating like Rip Van Winkle waiting for the UK tour to begin. Either that, or smoking gigantic spliffs and re-organizing his massive record collection. smoking smiley

Hopefully they do have some time to get something done with the new material (if any of it still exists), but with the UK tour on the horizon, they can only give so much of themselves to the band itself.
There's more to life beyond the Rolling Stones and fans expectations for them, and at this point in their 50+ year career, can you blame them for taking their sweet time?

My dude .. we dont know what they speak about on tour and what they dont. I am certain all kinds of things came up. They are a band ...on tour. We dont have an exact account / record of everyone of their convos over the last few months together.

How do we know they didnt say at some point 'we should finish the album after this tour before too long' .. mjp Says little talk .. well naturally they didn't start talking about it during a sound check or right on stage between one another. There were private conversations I am certain. Maybe they chatted a bit about it then?

Because one person says The Stones didnt talk about it means nothing. None of us were there all through their multitude of convos. Sure.. Mick and Keith dont talk and spend time together like they did in 1968 but still .. they talk on tour.

I am certain the album was at least mentioned a few times among them.. even if it was nothing official.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-03 00:24 by IanBillen.

Date: November 3, 2017 00:53

This is true Ian - we really don't know anything and we're all pretty much in the dark (give or take a few insider hints here and there)
One thing is certain though, as long as this thread keeps going, there will always be a glimmer of hope. I'm sending them positive vibes through the airwaves as we speak, and hopefully they're listening!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 3, 2017 01:00

The new album will be released next year, everyone at Universal is aware of that, but no one is expecting it any time soon.

This year was too early for a new release, B&L was a steady seller all the year and even now is still charting in many european countries.

Also, "new stuff" is only one thing inside the Stones' marketing product, and not a priority for a long time now, they have so much stuff to cash in:
- DVD's
- Vaults Releases
- Deluxe Editions
- Exhibitions
- Tours
- Sponsorship
- Movies

We're talking about a 55 years old band here, semi-retired (they work a maximum of 2-3 months each year) and with dozens of priorities on their lives than spend time recording by thousandth time.

The new stuff will come out, but don't wait for news every day.

Date: November 3, 2017 01:10

Thanks georgelicks - that puts it all in to perspective.

Where there's hope, there's life!
Where there's a will, there's a way!

Keep on rolling...Stones!!!thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 3, 2017 02:17

gotdablouse
"once" ? Keith has said that on numerous occasions ;-) Especially in 2002 after they didn't tour behind a new album for the first time...They did have an album in the can but never got round to finishing it for release. Just didn't make sense to them I suppose.

As to whether they ever did it ? The RCA sessions in August/September 1978 are probably the closest to that but they didn't produce an album.

The RCA sessions were the beginning of the EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions. One track (ha ha) was used for ER and one for Keith's single.

Date: November 3, 2017 02:19

Hairball

See the A BIGGER BANG tour. They essentially ignored the album after a few months.

That was 10 years or so ago. So... yes?

Date: November 3, 2017 03:04

GasLightStreet
Hairball

See the A BIGGER BANG tour. They essentially ignored the album after a few months.

That was 10 years or so ago. So... yes?

Hi GasLightStreet, been thinking about you - hope all is well with you and your wife.

While you are right about them ignoring tunes from ABB during that tour, I was referring to new songs being written/recorded for this supposed new album.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point and we are in agreement on both counts?

Since the dud ABB album over 10 years ago, Keith has released the great Crossyeyed Heart, the Stones released the somewhat worthless Doom and Gloom/One More Shot, and Mick released the even more worthless Getta Grip/England Lost...in other words not alot to be proud of studio wise. And lest we forget, they dredged up and reworked some outtakes for the Exile Deluxe (which was sort of pointless), as well as releasing all of the extras for the Some Girls Deluxe which is the only real positive in all this. And then there's live shows which have been released "from the vaults" - some of which are great, and the weird Sticky Fingers live (no Mick Taylor?!!!). The blues covers album doesn't really count imo because...it's blues covers that they spit out in one or two days with nothing original about it. Did I miss anything?

So yes, it seems the well is pretty close to running dry and the barrel has been scraped for all it's worth, but you never know...maybe a new album of originals that are worthy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-03 03:08 by Hairball.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 3, 2017 13:25

georgelicks
The new album will be released next year, everyone at Universal is aware of that, but no one is expecting it any time soon.

This year was too early for a new release, B&L was a steady seller all the year and even now is still charting in many european countries.

Also, "new stuff" is only one thing inside the Stones' marketing product, and not a priority for a long time now, they have so much stuff to cash in:
- DVD's
- Vaults Releases
- Deluxe Editions
- Exhibitions
- Tours
- Sponsorship
- Movies

We're talking about a 55 years old band here, semi-retired (they work a maximum of 2-3 months each year) and with dozens of priorities on their lives than spend time recording by thousandth time.

So, within the next 423 days the new album will be out. I got a feeling the album is locked and loaded, just waiting around until the England tour.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 3, 2017 13:37

Maindefender
georgelicks

- DVD's
- Vaults Releases
- Deluxe Editions
- Exhibitions
- Tours
- Sponsorship
- Movies

So, within the next 423 days the new album will be out. I got a feeling the album is locked and loaded, just waiting around until the England tour.

thumbs up
I feel the same way...new album is done.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 3, 2017 16:47

duke richardson
if Keith starts pushing for recording, as he likes to do after tours, that makes it more likely itll be sooner than later...grinning smiley

er ...rather the other way round, I'd say.

He keeps saying that since the 90s (dunno if he said it also now) but it never happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-03 16:51 by doitywoik.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 3, 2017 16:54

Guess it will be released just before the UK 2018 tour.

Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-03 16:55 by corriecas.

Date: November 3, 2017 19:46

Hairball

See there .. Nothing has changed in the record companies eyes. Plans remain the same .. as during the summer. I'm sure plans are the same for The Stones. Now if this were mid February and we had not yet heard nothing about a new album that is to come in the new year by that point I would be very concerned.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-03 19:48 by IanBillen.

Date: November 3, 2017 20:28

SF Live was excellent, not weird. And Ronnie released a killer album after ABB.

Date: November 3, 2017 22:18

IanBillen
Hairball

See there .. Nothing has changed in the record companies eyes. Plans remain the same .. as during the summer. I'm sure plans are the same for The Stones. Now if this were mid February and we had not yet heard anything at all through this time frame about a new album that is to come in the new year by that point ..then I would be very concerned. Now.. it seems plans are still as they always were.

Ian

Date: November 3, 2017 23:30

IanBillen
Hairball

See there .. Nothing has changed in the record companies eyes. Plans remain the same .. as during the summer. I'm sure plans are the same for The Stones. Now if this were mid February and we had not yet heard nothing about a new album that is to come in the new year by that point I would be very concerned.

Ian

Yes Ian there is some hope...but only time will tell as we should take into account what the trustworthy mpj200 has stated also
It's already been over 12 years since the last full album of originals...eye popping smiley...that's longer than many bands stay together!
In the meantime prepare for the UK tour announcement sooner rather than later! thumbs up

Date: November 4, 2017 01:35

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball

Ian

Yes Ian there is some hope...but only time will tell as we should take into account what the trustworthy mpj200 has stated also
It's already been over 12 years since the last full album of originals...eye popping smiley...that's longer than many bands stay together!
In the meantime prepare for the UK tour announcement sooner rather than later! thumbs up

I appreciate your criticism of The Stones failure to deliver studio albums as much as we would like them to. I have been a big critic of them in that regard over the last few years too. It's ridiculous.. It will be bloody 13 years?

In addition I 'figured' you were a fellow bloke.. I just didn't want to offend juuuuuuuust in case there was the odd chance you weren't. smiling smiley

If the UK tour is first .. I am happy for them in the fact that they will get to see The Stones. They have been deprived over the last 20 years .. and it's good for them.

Now.. if The UK tour happens and there was no mention of a new album or if it comes first I would be skeptical of a new album. In other words if I find out UK dates are posted in say May-June already with no album finished I would consider the album ...dead in the water. I would not expect a new studio release from them at that juncture.

As well.. if we hear nothing and it is like mid February no mention from a news source (a credible one) they plan on releasing an album no mention of it from them .. Id really be skeptical. In short .. if six months goes by and there is no official word on a time frame of release.. I would say the album won't come to light... Not in 2018 .. not at all. I would not consider the album dead in the water.. Id consider it slllllloooooooowly a work in progress (at least right now).

Date: November 4, 2017 01:57

Hairball
Hi GasLightStreet, been thinking about you - hope all is well with you and your wife.

My wife died September 16th.

Thank you, though, for your kind words.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 4, 2017 02:03

GasLightStreet
Hairball

I'm so sorry GasLight.

Date: November 4, 2017 02:37

GasLightStreet
Hairball

Oh my...at a loss for words...I'm very sorry to hear that.
My sincere condolences to you.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 4, 2017 02:45

Very sorry. My condolences to you.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 4, 2017 02:50

My sincere condolences, GasLightStreet.

Date: November 5, 2017 05:12

GasLightStreet
Hairball

Truly sorry to know of that GasLightStreet.

I'm not so interested in the album anymore right now... after hearing this.

Much thoughts out to you, mate.

Sincerely,

Ian

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 5, 2017 06:31

GasLightStreet
Hairball

GasLightStreet I had/have been thinking of you also —
I am so sorry for your loss (((love)))

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8081828384858687888990...LastNext
Current Page: 85 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1739
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home