Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7778798081828384858687...LastNext
Current Page: 82 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 28, 2017 04:35

Hairball
There's the risk that after so much delay, some of the songs they've partially recorded will become obsolete and/or they'll have second thoughts on the quality of them.
And the fact that none of them are even complete could be a case of one step forward, two steps back (or vice versa). Without any focus, everything might just fizzle out with a whimper. sad smiley

BUT...still hoping this new tour will rejuvenate and inspire them to get back to work (after a few months off), but what happens then is anybody's guess.
Maybe a new album in 2019?

I doubt it will 'die' ... They have been talking about said progress (which has been very very slow) on the album for like two years almost.

Some times albums take a while to evolve. I was in the studio last night with an artist (younger guy with loads of energy and ambition) in which we were recording. I asked him when he planned on releasing what we were recording as an album .. he said 'two years'. He has some other projects he works on as well .. not musical at the moment but other things.

Sure.. he and The Rolling Stones are in different galaxy's BUT having some times albums are best done in segments.. as his is going to be... waiting to get it right is much better than moving forward prematurely with material or in rushing to get something out that needs time.

I am sure they still have plans on finishing the album .. As was said here by Heinz .. The Stones have high standards on this.. and they plan on meeting those standards...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 28, 2017 04:44

IanBillen
waiting to get it right is much better than moving forward prematurely with material or in rushing to get something out that needs time.

I could have sworn I said the same thing repeatedly about 40-50 pages ago in this very thread, yet there were some who were so anxious and fustrated with the band taking so long (12 years!!!), they were almost angry about it all!!! Just hoping Keith and Mick don't go at eachother again, and can reach a mutual agreement. Out of frustration, Keith might eventually give in and let Mick have his way...if this is the case we can probably expect some more Getta Grips and England Losts...best case scenario another Doom and Gloom and One More Shot. I sure hope not and would really like something that will add to their legacy rather than tainting it, but at this point am having doubts about everything again. Keeping the faith they can get it done some day!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 28, 2017 06:43

IanBillen
waiting to get it right is much better than moving forward prematurely with material or in rushing to get something out that needs time.

You're right, of course, but at times it seems they rather wait for it to get right by itself and pursue other activities in the meanwhile ... winking smiley

Back in the olden days, bands often took a song to the road before recording it in the studio to give it the chance to develop (The Floyd, Zappa, Dylan, Neil Young, ...). Keith himself has said repeatedly over the years that songs would often have benefitted from being played live before being recorded. I don't know if the Stones ever did that but it would certainly be a viable approach so longs as the new material consists of more than just a dynamite riff (and, as a side effect, provide a new repetoire of war foals and make the shows more interesting musically ...). At the same time it is understandable if they wouldn't do that for legal and/or economic reasons alone (not to speak of other reasons). Still a pity, I think.

Date: September 28, 2017 08:35

Hairball
IanBillen

I could have sworn I said the same thing repeatedly about 40-50 pages ago in this very thread, yet there were some who were so anxious and fustrated with the band taking so long (12 years!!!), they were almost angry about it all!!! Just hoping Keith and Mick don't go at eachother again, and can reach a mutual agreement. Out of frustration, Keith might eventually give in and let Mick have his way...if this is the case we can probably expect some more Getta Grips and England Losts...best case scenario another Doom and Gloom and One More Shot. I sure hope not and would really like something that will add to their legacy rather than tainting it, but at this point am having doubts about everything again. Keeping the faith they can get it done some day!

I see your point.. I am / was still upset they are doing other 'major' things in between .. like entire tours? I think they have taken too much time in between these segments..for my personal liking .. It may seem like a contradiction but my point is I dont care if the album takes a while. ... as long as they didn't put it on the back burner like it was not a band priority ... I think it should of been their #1 priority .. that was my real bitch. South American Tour .. No filter.. Exhibition .. Jagger TV shows .. Jagger Solo .. etc. etc.

but who am I?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-28 08:37 by IanBillen.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 28, 2017 11:07

They are pretty much telling us that they are a show band for a long time now. Hey, I'l be one of the first, should I still be drawing breath in this dimension, to approach it with great interest, hope and excitement, but I think it's reasonable to assume that what they are doing is exactly what they are doing, at this point; They have the talent we all know they have; and they have the history we all know they have; and it's truly awesome (I never used that word; I save it up for things that have genuinely struck me hard in the moment with actual awe)...just genuinely awesome what they've done and continued to do for so long.

...but it hurts to say it, especially here where it will mostly not be appreciated but they are not really a real recording band per se, in any sense like formerly; I'm NOT saying they can't come up with great songs and performances; I jsut think that obviously that is not their priority on a grander $cale, for whatever personal or professional reason. They are just not. I like two from B&L a LOT!! and another two pretty solid for me as well; just not as good, for me, as those singles; I think they chose that right...
I could be wrong; almost hope I am, but I think in some ways that protracted hope and wait last year finished me with them for quite some time, as far as getting into the drama about what, when and if...concerning a 'proper' album of songs from them. If they insist on not being a recording band; I'm having a smidge of difficulty correcting them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-28 11:08 by hopkins.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: September 28, 2017 12:10

They're not telling us that, hopkins. That's it! I'm leaving the site. DO NOT try to convince me to stay..

Date: September 28, 2017 12:22

Socrates1
They're not telling us that, hopkins. That's it! I'm leaving the site. DO NOT try to convince me to stay..

"Beauty is a short-lived tyranny."
Socrates

Date: September 28, 2017 12:59

Nice one. With beauty and the morally good, you can't go wrong. thumbs up

Date: September 28, 2017 13:29

That doesn't look right. I probably should have said: beauty and moral goodness; not beauty and the morally good. Because who's morally good and who isn't? Sometimes good-looking people aren't moral at all.. Anyway, bring on the new Stones album, like tomorrow, please! The fans are longing to hear the new one!!!

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 29, 2017 00:28

A new one will be SO WELCOME!

I liked Doom & Gloom and One More Shot.

I'm sure they have a few more good ones in them.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 29, 2017 00:42

doitywoik
IanBillen

You're right, of course, but at times it seems they rather wait for it to get right by itself and pursue other activities in the meanwhile ... winking smiley

Back in the olden days, bands often took a song to the road before recording it in the studio to give it the chance to develop (The Floyd, Zappa, Dylan, Neil Young, ...). Keith himself has said repeatedly over the years that songs would often have benefitted from being played live before being recorded. I don't know if the Stones ever did that but it would certainly be a viable approach so longs as the new material consists of more than just a dynamite riff (and, as a side effect, provide a new repetoire of war foals and make the shows more interesting musically ...). At the same time it is understandable if they wouldn't do that for legal and/or economic reasons alone (not to speak of other reasons). Still a pity, I think.

I believe the only original songs with a meaningful gap (i.e. not a tour that started before the album came out) between when they were played live and then released are "Loving Cup" 1969->1972 and "Worried About You" 1977->1981

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 29, 2017 01:17

Don't forget Mick's "What Kind of World is This?" played live in 1988 and we're still waiting for a studio version.

As for testing the waters to gauge audience response, in a different fashion, that's what we had with "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost."

Date: September 29, 2017 01:56

Socrates1
Nice one. With beauty and the morally good, you can't go wrong. thumbs up
ahh how very very true. Unfortunately, however, I have neither.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 29, 2017 02:04

Rocky Dijon
Don't forget Mick's "What Kind of World is This?" played live in 1988 and we're still waiting for a studio version.

As for testing the waters to gauge audience response, in a different fashion, that's what we had with "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost."

Ah yes, WKOWIT, not that much of a song, err...some kind of ancestor of GGAG possibly ? ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 29, 2017 15:41

Eerily reminiscent of Broken English's "Coming On Strong" I thought.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 29, 2017 15:57

Rocky Dijon

Test has failed. Two poor songs.

Date: October 2, 2017 01:57

Don't think anyone else has picked up on this yet, but Chuck's blog on August 29th suggests the new album is coming in early 2018:

Yet another Rolling Stones Tour. Rehearsals are underway, and everyone is in top form. There has been some recording during the past year. Chuck was called in to play on the Blues CD and another trip to London to put some tracks on a new musical project which will come out in the winter months.

source: [roseandchucktourdiary.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 2, 2017 02:54

Yep Rocky .... ...despite all the sheer madness from grown men on
here running around screaming over the brickwall statement .... THERE WILL BE A NEW ALBUM ...

ROCKMAN

Date: October 2, 2017 05:15

Not to be a party pooper, but that blog is written by Chucks wife Rose Lane, so don't know how much weight it should be given as far as inside info. on a new Stones album.
Sounds like wishful thinking for a winter release considering all that's been happening (Getta Grip, etc.), and with Ronnie recently saying the tunes still need alot more work, but we shall eventually see...or not.

Date: October 2, 2017 05:59

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 18:03 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 2, 2017 06:15

Rocky Dijon
Don't think anyone else has picked up on this yet, but Chuck's blog on August 29th suggests the new album is coming in early 2018:

Yet another Rolling Stones Tour. Rehearsals are underway, and everyone is in top form. There has been some recording during the past year. Chuck was called in to play on the Blues CD and another trip to London to put some tracks on a new musical project which will come out in the winter months.

source: [roseandchucktourdiary.blogspot.com]

It was, but the post was buried along the discussion over here. [iorr.org]

Date: October 2, 2017 06:26

Hairball
Not to be a party pooper, but that blog is written by Chucks wife Rose Lane, so don't know how much weight it should be given as far as inside info. on a new Stones album.
Sounds like wishful thinking for a winter release considering all that's been happening (Getta Grip, etc.), and with Ronnie recently saying the tunes still need alot more work, but we shall eventually see...or not.

Hey Folks .. Chuck Levell's wife is going to be in the know more than anyone here I know that much Lol. Uhhhhh... Her husband records (and tours) with The Rolling Stones.. remember? .. Lol smh. She is going to know every bit as much as Chuck ... (she's the dudes wife .. They are a very 'close' couple and as well ... this might sound crazy ...but they kina / sorta talk and live in the same house believe it or not.. .. .. .. ..).

With that said as I understand it they sort of keep their plans slightly tentative and not fully 110% disclosed with Chuck until they are working on it with him.

I think the album will come next summer. It is still on plans I'm quite sure. One thing is for certain .. She knows more than anyone who is a constant on this message board you can believe. Believing anything different is not realistic.

Date: October 2, 2017 06:38

Rocky Dijon
Generally speaking, wives hear from their husbands. I've never known what is posted on Chuck and Rose's blog to be inaccurate or just wishful thinking. The same entries I copied elsewhere had referred to the album as being far less certain around the time of the South American tour last year.

I had heard (and yes, that's hearsay) the album was substantially complete and has been for awhile. It's the usual thing of which mix or which version gets used and what tracks might pinch hit. Specifically whether we get some newly polished outtakes of more recent vintage mixed in or if we get band versions vs. tracks that are more studio creations if you follow my meaning. Of course, common sense says expect a mix of all, but we'll see.

I've posted all this before and have been discounted for it. For now, I'll say we'll see in the first few months of 2018. We'll have an idea before then of course if that's the case.

Wasn't doubting you Rocky, was just questioning the accuracy of a blog from Jane Rose considering everything I had mentioned, ie Getta Grip and Ronnie saying tunes need work in a very recent interview, but maybe "wishful thinking" wasn't the right term. The info. she posted runs the gamut from Chuck playing on B&L, to tour rehearsals, and then a brief mention of some new material expected for the winter months - it doesn't really seem to be info. I'd personally place any bets on, but glad you took the time to share it nevertheless. That said, any hope is better than no hope at all I suppose, and only time will tell what happens next.

IanBillen
I understand it they sort of keep their plans slightly tentative and not fully 110% disclosed with Chuck until they are working on it with him.

He wasn't even involved with the initial sessions for Blue and Lonesome, and found out about it well after the fact.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-02 06:46 by Hairball.

Date: October 2, 2017 06:48

Well we can certainly agree neither of us knows anything for certain. We can be hopeful or skeptical. Time will tell like always.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-02 06:49 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: October 2, 2017 06:50

Cristiano Radtke
"Yet another Rolling Stones Tour. Rehearsals are underway, and everyone is in top form. There has been some recording during the past year.

Chuck (Leavell) was called in to play on the Blues CD and another trip to London to put some tracks on a new musical project which will come out in the winter months."

[roseandchucktourdiary.blogspot.com.br]

Sorry I missed your post at the end of August, Cristiano. Good eye!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 2, 2017 07:04

No worries, Rocky. smileys with beer

Date: October 2, 2017 07:14

Hairball
Rocky Dijon
Generally speaking, wives hear from their husbands. I've never known what is posted on Chuck and Rose's blog to be inaccurate or just wishful thinking. The same entries I copied elsewhere had referred to the album as being far less certain around the time of the South American tour last year.

I had heard (and yes, that's hearsay) the album was substantially complete and has been for awhile. It's the usual thing of which mix or which version gets used and what tracks might pinch hit. Specifically whether we get some newly polished outtakes of more recent vintage mixed in or if we get band versions vs. tracks that are more studio creations if you follow my meaning. Of course, common sense says expect a mix of all, but we'll see.

I've posted all this before and have been discounted for it. For now, I'll say we'll see in the first few months of 2018. We'll have an idea before then of course if that's the case.

Wasn't doubting you Rocky, was just questioning the accuracy of a blog from Jane Rose considering everything I had mentioned, ie Getta Grip and Ronnie saying tunes need work in a very recent interview, but maybe "wishful thinking" wasn't the right term. The info. she posted runs the gamut from Chuck playing on B&L, to tour rehearsals, and then a brief mention of some new material expected for the winter months - it doesn't really seem to be info. I'd personally place any bets on, but glad you took the time to share it nevertheless. That said, any hope is better than no hope at all I suppose, and only time will tell what happens next.

IanBillen
I understand it they sort of keep their plans slightly tentative and not fully 110% disclosed with Chuck until they are working on it with him.

He wasn't even involved with the initial sessions for Blue and Lonesome, and found out about it well after the fact.

Exactly my point. As I said.. they keep things under wraps even for Chuck until he is there working on it with em (if it comes to that). If not.. I dont think they call to let him know anything .. Why would they?

Date: October 2, 2017 08:00

Rocky Dijon
Well we can certainly agree neither of us knows anything for certain. We can be hopeful or skeptical. Time will tell like always.

I'm torn between being both hopeful and skeptical as if stuck in an endless conundrum lol.
Any speculation and all hints are always welcome though, and thanks to those who add to the puzzle.
If nothing else they help to keep this thread alive, and with that there is hope!!! thumbs up

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: October 2, 2017 08:49

Does anyone else believe that the Stones might just drop an album by the end of any given week? Granted, it seems like that trick is a bit 'old hat' now but knowing how much the marketing behind the Stones is key, it's still something that they haven't applied yet (B&L being the closest thing to a secret drop so far) or would the Stones require much more marketing to ensure they have a hit (And let's home that they're not so 'Londoncentric' this time.)

Date: October 2, 2017 17:10

Hairball
Rocky Dijon

IanBillen

Hairball ... Chuck was recording on the album ...May 2016 (and probably had a darn good idea of what they were going to do with those blues tracks) .. before we knew their was to be an official all blues album. While he was recording we were not even sure if they were covers .. or originals.. or if it was for a double album .. or if they were going to mix it in with originals (neither were they 100%).

Chucks wife knew as well probably .. None of us on the board knew much while I am sure they had the skinny .. I mean hell Keith called Chuck up and met with him and played him the stuff in April. By May he was recording on it.

To think that someone on the board knows more than Chuck or his wife is unrealistic IMO. Dude plays on these records my man. When one of the board wives or husbands is recording on the albums themselves and touring with the Rolling Stones then we can at least call it even.

Trust me.. When there is news... Chucks wife knows much more than any of us (and that is easily understandable).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-02 17:14 by IanBillen.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7778798081828384858687...LastNext
Current Page: 82 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home