Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7677787980818283848586...LastNext
Current Page: 81 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 12, 2017 22:03

Hairball
That quote from Mick says a lot about his own stubbornness and unwillingness to be a part of a band, but the reality is he needs someone to bounce ideas off of.

"But with my own LPs I had complete songs and complete arrangements and the whole thing of it mentally, and the ability to present my stuff to the players without everybody going, Oh no, that's no good was sort of a new thing for me. Quite refreshing".

When you surround yourself with hired hands (even of the calibur of Jeff Beck), the last thing they're going to tell you is it's a bad idea you're working on. They do what they're told, and the results will always rest on the shoulders of the boss. Alot of Mick's solo material could have used someone like Keith to elevate it, and the same can be said for some of Keith's material - Micks input might have been beneficial.

These are interesting issues which of course go right into the heart of the Mick/
Keith writing 'partnership'.
For solo work they have both worked with 'Partners': Matt Clifford and Steve Jordan.
This is different to the Beatles (unless you factor in the wives' input) in that they pretty much produced the finished work themselves when they went solo.Though Macca has had short term collabs with others..Laine and Costello come to mind. Oh, and Mad Jacko of course.
What does Steve Jordan add to Keith's intial demos? Is he a lyricist? He seems a fuller partner than say Clifford. But does that mean that Mick is just more capable of producing a track on his own, or us less willing than Keith to listen to suggestions? Mick is first and foremost a vocalist. Is that a negative? But then so is Van Morrison.
Does Keith just respect Jordan (a fellow 'musician') more than vocalist Mick?
Or is it down to personal relationships.
I could never imagine Macca and George creating a song together. But despite all the aggravation going on, John and Paul still seemed able to spark each other off...to the benefit of the finished track.
Any views welcome!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 12, 2017 23:34

gotdablouse
The "methodology" had indeed not worked very well for UC or DW...endless sessions, endless arguing !

I would suggest that those records are more Stones-like than what’s transpired since. It’s like Mick is arguing for efficiency. I do agree that for solo material they should experiment and do things differently. That’s the whole point of solo albums really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 23:36 by TeddyB1018.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 12, 2017 23:59

What about a Watts-Wood song in the supposed new RS album??

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 13, 2017 01:05

KeithNacho
What about a Watts-Wood song in the supposed new RS album??

What about it? Tell us what you know so far to help us out.....tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 13, 2017 06:31

I guess it's among those that aren't yet recorded ...

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 13, 2017 08:11

As some of you might know, I dearly love the late-career work of The Rolling Stones and have been quite concerned about the two-year-long rollercoaster ride they've subjected us to while attempting to record their "new album."

I've been scouring the internet for something that might help break the creative logjam The Glimmers have apparently foisted upon themselves ... and I have come up with a solution!

Look at what Grammy-winner Esperanza Spaulding is doing to record her new album: she's streaming the process for 77 consecutive hours live on Facebook, composing and arranging everything on the fly in front of the camera!

Every moment, including breaks for sleep and sustenance, will be broadcast via Facebook Live, adding a layer of reality-TV voyeurism to the situation (without the drama of musicians being voted off the island).

"Knowing someone is watching and listening to what you're making seems to conjure up a sort of 'can't fail' energy," Spalding said in a statement on her website. "The necessity to keep going because it's live draws up another depth of creative facility that can't be reached when you know you can try again tomorrow."

Think of it, were The Stones to adopt such a plan, we'd have a new record in barely more than 3 days!

It's happening RIGHT NOW at:

[www.npr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 08:19 by LongBeachArena72.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 13, 2017 08:49

LongBeachArena72
Look at what Grammy-winner Esperanza Spaulding is doing to record her new album: she's streaming the process for 77 consecutive hours live on Facebook, composing and arranging everything on the fly in front of the camera!

Every moment, including breaks for sleep and sustenance, will be broadcast via Facebook Live, adding a layer of reality-TV voyeurism to the situation (without the drama of musicians being voted off the island).

"Knowing someone is watching and listening to what you're making seems to conjure up a sort of 'can't fail' energy," Spalding said in a statement on her website. "The necessity to keep going because it's live draws up another depth of creative facility that can't be reached when you know you can try again tomorrow."

Think of it, were The Stones to adopt such a plan, we'd have a new record in barely more than 3 days!

Mostly, it would be watching every puff Keith takes from a cigarette.

Do we really need to watch them think about music, every step of the way?

If this technology were available in 1964 and restreamable now, I think it might diminish my enjoyment of, say, 12X5. I'll just take the music -- save the interaction and etc for the concert stage.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 14, 2017 04:11

One might imagine it would take a while if Keith's having issues playing if his solos and intros are any indication - possibly days of overdubbing for everything to come out right. Just a tad bit slower to get going than it used to be. He is 73 years old. And very likely substantially damaged at this point.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 14, 2017 05:10

Not a musician personally, but isn't it normal to spend days overdubbing everything to come out right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 05:16 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 14, 2017 06:23

I really think at this point it's best to wait till 2022 for their 60th frankly.
Can you IMAGINE the pandemonium!? Well alright.

Date: September 14, 2017 06:41

Rocky Dijon
Not a musician personally, but isn't it normal to spend days overdubbing everything to come out right?

Yes, and I think Ms, Spalding is going to do this after the fact before she releases the record. The 77 hours she is "live" are just to gather the "raw material," if you will, that will later be cobbled together for release.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 14, 2017 08:35

Rocky Dijon

It easily can be. We just spent 8 straight hours overdubbing in the studio two nights ago and it was for a single song.

Depends on the song .. who's involved.. etc. However over dubbs for an album can take three days ... three weeks .. a month and a half. The Stones have spent six weeks on and off doing overdubs for an album before ..

Though I don't think they are at that stage on this one (who knows? Only them and their camp).

Date: September 14, 2017 09:10

Another solution, since the Esperanza Spalding route may be a bit much for the Glimmers:

Why not take a page from the Outkast playbook and release a double album a la Speakerboxx/The Love Below, in which Mick and Keith each cut a solo record (hiring Ron and Charlie and even Chuck and Daryl) and then they put 'em out together as The Rolling Stones Abandon All Pretense of Collaboration . I know, I know, it's not very catchy ...

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 25, 2017 05:10

Hopefully this tour will help them come up with a direction to finish this thing off

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2017 05:54

I agree Bashlets!

Hopefully they'll iron out their differences on stage peacefully and not with a fist fight!
Almost forgot about this thread and the thought of a new album amidst all the live shows happening.

And where's IanBillen?

Date: September 25, 2017 07:45

Hairball
I agree Bashlets!

Hopefully they'll iron out their differences on stage peacefully and not with a fist fight!
Almost forgot about this thread and the thought of a new album amidst all the live shows happening.

And where's IanBillen?

Ha!! I am here. I as well actually 'sort of' forgot / put aside thoughts about the new album with the live shows they got going on right now (believe it or not).

I wonder what their schedule is like. My guess is around November they will hit the studio again for a short stint and then in January / February . I can't see the album taking any longer than that as far as actualy recording goes. I mean hell .. it's going to be well over ...two years. They should have the tracks together by then .. at least ready for mix. Just my guess.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 25, 2017 09:49

LongBeachArena72
Another solution, since the Esperanza Spalding route may be a bit much for the Glimmers:

Why not take a page from the Outkast playbook and release a double album a la Speakerboxx/The Love Below, in which Mick and Keith each cut a solo record (hiring Ron and Charlie and even Chuck and Daryl) and then they put 'em out together as The Rolling Stones Abandon All Pretense of Collaboration . I know, I know, it's not very catchy ...

That's pretty much what they did in 1997 for B2B and it didn't work out too bad but that was...20 years ago ! Mick and Keith seem to be at complete loggerheads when it comes to new material unfortunately, contrast "Robbed Blind" and "Gotta Get a Grip", there is about zero in common there. Until they sit down and write songs together I don't think there will be a new album and when is that going to happen ? The only hope is that the total lack of a dent made by GGAG and EL might convince Mick he's on the wrong track new material wise.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 25, 2017 12:09

Bashlets
Hopefully this tour will help them come up with a direction to finish this thing off

Hopefully they hit the studio fresh off the road...

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 25, 2017 16:28

I'd love it if they went in to the studio right after the tour ends. they probably won't. It seems after a tour they always want a 3 to 4 months complete break from each other. Hope I'm wrong

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 16:36

I think they'll come back in the studio in late January/early February for the last 2 weeks of recordings, then mixing and overdubs and it will be ready in May/June...Maybe they'll wait Christmas time or maybe not!

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 16:39

Georgelicks, have you any news or simple gossip by your UMG contact about a possible release schedule?!?Thanks in advance,mate!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 25, 2017 20:04

mailexile67
Georgelicks, have you any news or simple gossip by your UMG contact about a possible release schedule?!?Thanks in advance,mate!

Heinz57...where are you?! Give us some news!!

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 20:11

I know The Stones can do it! NEW ALBUM ON THE WAY!!!!!!!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 25, 2017 20:17

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 20:19

smileys with beer

Date: September 25, 2017 20:32

Cristiano Radtke
It's in the can!

smileys with beer

Date: September 27, 2017 15:24

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 27, 2017 15:35

Interesting, same story on how B&L came about but says they'll make a decision about the album after the tour...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 27, 2017 23:31

gotdablouse
Interesting, same story on how B&L came about but says they'll make a decision about the album after the tour...

Sure sounds like many or most of those all 'new' songs 'still' need to develop a little more and settle in correctly. They have been cooking this up for quite a while .. though nowhere near steadily. In fact.. anything but steadily.

Perhaps after the tour and round very early next year they need to give it a few more strong go's to complete writing / recording it. My guess is there will be some more tracks to lay down as well .. and then they will see what all they got and simply record the sucker over those separate sessions. They could use two or three more segments to finalize and get to recording everything again would be my best guess.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-27 23:32 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 27, 2017 23:41

There's the risk that after so much delay, some of the songs they've partially recorded will become obsolete and/or they'll have second thoughts on the quality of them.
And the fact that none of them are even complete could be a case of one step forward, two steps back (or vice versa). Without any focus, everything might just fizzle out with a whimper. sad smiley

BUT...still hoping this new tour will rejuvenate and inspire them to get back to work (after a few months off), but what happens then is anybody's guess.
Maybe a new album in 2019?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7677787980818283848586...LastNext
Current Page: 81 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2065
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home