Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 3, 2017 06:05

Hairball
No disrespect taken Ian, but this isn't science or psychology...it's only rock and roll.
Categorizing, classifying, defining, and labeling fans seems silly to me as I said before, but if it means something to you don't let me stop you.
As far as I'm concerned, anyone who has taken the time to register an account on this website is a Stones fan...period - simple as that.

It's Not Only In Rock and Roll (some pun grinning smiley ) and in the Rolling Stones Case .. but there are purists in almost every Art or sport .. and in many facets of life as you know...from Boxing .. to Football .. to Picasso .. to Language.

When I was a young kid the purist would say I like '...'old'.. Stones'. Now a days what exactly is old Stones? I mean Tattoo You came out 36 years ago lol.

Basketball has fans that are purists. Folks who think everyone travels today (and yes they are much more lenient with making that call today than say 40 years ago).They also are tired of all the bling in Basketball and the drama. They like Team ball versus one or two dominating super stars on various teams.

Some purists .. such as myself .. have switched to following college ball (Duke). I'm not interested in Pro Ball in it's current state (I was when I was a kid).. just as you aren't impressed or that interested with The Stones output in later days.

Am I still a basketball fan? Well .. sure.. but I'm more a purist. Are you still a Stones fan? .. Well sure.. but you are also more a purist (but not 100% ...not extreme in my humble opinion).

Purists exist in many areas .. I don't think it's silly to categorize at all .. it's 'what is a sort of reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-03 06:08 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 4, 2017 01:09

IanBillen
Hairball
No disrespect taken Ian, but this isn't science or psychology...it's only rock and roll.
Categorizing, classifying, defining, and labeling fans seems silly to me as I said before, but if it means something to you don't let me stop you.
As far as I'm concerned, anyone who has taken the time to register an account on this website is a Stones fan...period - simple as that.

It's Not Only In Rock and Roll (some pun grinning smiley ) and in the Rolling Stones Case .. but there are purists in almost every Art or sport .. and in many facets of life as you know...from Boxing .. to Football .. to Picasso .. to Language.

When I was a young kid the purist would say I like '...'old'.. Stones'. Now a days what exactly is old Stones? I mean Tattoo You came out 36 years ago lol.

Basketball has fans that are purists. Folks who think everyone travels today (and yes they are much more lenient with making that call today than say 40 years ago).They also are tired of all the bling in Basketball and the drama. They like Team ball versus one or two dominating super stars on various teams.

Some purists .. such as myself .. have switched to following college ball (Duke). I'm not interested in Pro Ball in it's current state (I was when I was a kid).. just as you aren't impressed or that interested with The Stones output in later days.

Am I still a basketball fan? Well .. sure.. but I'm more a purist. Are you still a Stones fan? .. Well sure.. but you are also more a purist (but not 100% ...not extreme in my humble opinion).

Purists exist in many areas .. I don't think it's silly to categorize at all .. it's 'what is a sort of reality.

Cheers Ian. winking smiley

Now how about that new Stones album in 2019?

smileys with beer

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 4, 2017 07:39

IanBillen
just as you aren't impressed or that interested with The Stones output in later days.

I AM interested in this - I just can't FIND much

Rod

Date: September 4, 2017 11:13

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball

Cheers Ian. winking smiley

Now how about that new Stones album in 2019?

smileys with beer

yawning smiley .... I don't categorize you as a total purist.. just kind of. I mis-spoke .. ...While you are not so impressed with The Stones later works .. You definitely are still interested in their releases and are up on it. For that I commend you.

Date: September 4, 2017 11:16

bitusa2012
IanBillen
just as you aren't impressed or that interested with The Stones output in later days.

Hairball is interested too .. Im not saying he secretly likes their new stuff or is going to but he is very interested in it (I mis-spoke). You can ask him.. he will tell you hes interested and anxious.. though hes not expecting total greatness.. hes still very interested (he's here on this post and knows as much as anyone about the album ..).

There is hardly anything out there on the sessions .. It has been kept under wraps really well. We dont know hardly anything at all either. The Stones, their camp, and their management / staff and all insiders have been more than just 'tight lipped' .. they have been out of site all together with zero info to give about it. Very hush hush this time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-04 11:18 by IanBillen.

Date: September 4, 2017 11:27

bitusa2012
IanBillen

Put on Blue And Lonesome while you're waiting.. winking smiley

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 4, 2017 15:55

stonehearted
Rocky Dijon
Saying the album will "never be made" is foolish considering they were specifically given a contract extension by their label for a new studio album after listening to the work-in-progress tracks.
Yes, you are right -- because there is also this bit of info to consider...

"Jumpin' Jack cash! Rolling Stones set to pocket £2m from new album": [www.dailymail.co.uk]

That's 2 million pounds, as opposed to U.S. dollars.

Well, if that's true then they really AREN'T doing it for the money. Work on something for years and take home less than you can make in 2 hours on stage? Dudes are gonna need to lay off some roadies in order to make these numbers work!

(I'm assuming $2.6 million for the record versus the rumored $1 million apiece for each live show; also assuming no hits bigger than anything on A Bigger Bang, i.e., no long-term royalty generators on the record.)

Date: September 4, 2017 16:12

LongBeachArena72
stonehearted
Rocky Dijon
Saying the album will "never be made" is foolish considering they were specifically given a contract extension by their label for a new studio album after listening to the work-in-progress tracks.

"Jumpin' Jack cash! Rolling Stones set to pocket £2m from new album": [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Well, if that's true then they really AREN'T doing it for the money. Work on something for years and take home less than you can make in 2 hours on stage? Dudes are gonna need to lay off some roadies in order to make these numbers work!

(I'm assuming $2.6 million for the record versus the rumored $1 million apiece for each live show; also assuming no hits bigger than anything on A Bigger Bang, i.e., no long-term royalty generators on the record.)

Yeah, they got a #1 single with that album winking smiley

Date: September 4, 2017 16:38

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
stonehearted
Rocky Dijon

Ah, yes. #1 in Spain. Bet they're still cashing the royalty checks from that one!

It would be interesting to see an accounting statement from their label about any of the post-Tattoo You records. It's my impression that the band still command a hefty 'advance' fee (arguably more for 'prestige' purposes than a reflection of actual chart performance). When you take a big advance, the label then of course has a huge debit against which they can charge back every cost known to man. Whether the Stones have ever 'earned out' the advances on their latter-day albums and started generating royalty payments beyond their advances would be interesting to know (at least to me.)

Date: September 4, 2017 19:59

IanBillen
bitusa2012
IanBillen

Hairball is interested too .. Im not saying he secretly likes their new stuff or is going to but he is very interested in it (I mis-spoke). You can ask him.. he will tell you hes interested and anxious.. though hes not expecting total greatness.. hes still very interested (he's here on this post and knows as much as anyone about the album ..).

There is hardly anything out there on the sessions .. It has been kept under wraps really well. We dont know hardly anything at all either. The Stones, their camp, and their management / staff and all insiders have been more than just 'tight lipped' .. they have been out of site all together with zero info to give about it. Very hush hush this time.

I believe bitusa2012 was referring to being impressed or interested with The Stones output in later days - meaning the last 35 years!!! There's just not much to find that is impressive or interesting.

Without a doubt I am very interested and curious about the supposed new album, but wouldn't say I am anxious - it's been 12 years since a new album of originals, so what's another year or two of waiting? It should go without saying IMO, that we are all interested in what they do - be it today, tomorrow, the last 35 years, or the last 55 years. But I'd be willing to bet you will not find many who are impressed and interested with everything they have ever done in the last 55 years (studio and/or live)- impressed being the key word. But then again, there are some who find joy in anything they do - whether it's Keith screwing up some riffs, Mick putting out inferior solo albums/singles, Ronnie farting around on stage, both Keith and Mick unable to write anything of quality together any more, etc., etc., etc. - there are some extreme fanatics no doubt, but to each his own.

The bottom line, WE ARE ALL INTERESTED IN WHAT THE STONES DO NEXT!!!
Whether it's worthy (or impressive) or not is another story, and only time will tell, but in the meantime we must keep this thread and our hopes alive lol. If all else fails, I hope for a Keith solo album, and to be honest part of me would prefer that over another Stones album given the mediocrity they have put out over the last 35 years as a band (some of it good, a lot of it bad, most of it forgettable). The Blue and Lonesome covers album might be an exception due to the way it brought them back together - working as a band like clockwork. Some of the cover tunes are pointless and boring indeed, but at least you can hear the enthusiasm of a band working together and firing on all cylinders. This (and Crosseyed Heart) is what gives me hope for a new album, and if they can't unite on what originals to record, maybe they should put out Blue and Lonesome II filled with more blues covers - as Keith said "there's plenty more where those came from".

In the meantime, there's a new tour starting very soon smiling smiley, and plenty of back catalogue to enjoy along with nice videos on youtube - like this:

The Rolling Stones - Dance Little Sister

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-04 20:17 by Hairball.

Date: September 4, 2017 20:18

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
stonehearted
Rocky Dijon

Ah, yes. #1 in Spain. Bet they're still cashing the royalty checks from that one!

It would be interesting to see an accounting statement from their label about any of the post-Tattoo You records. It's my impression that the band still command a hefty 'advance' fee (arguably more for 'prestige' purposes than a reflection of actual chart performance). When you take a big advance, the label then of course has a huge debit against which they can charge back every cost known to man. Whether the Stones have ever 'earned out' the advances on their latter-day albums and started generating royalty payments beyond their advances would be interesting to know (at least to me.)

I could have sworn it was Italy, but it's no hanging matter..

Blinded By Love was popular in Spain, though.

Date: September 5, 2017 00:54

Mick Jagger says new Stones album is all finished and will be out in the Spring.

Jagger says album took a while to get there but it is now 'all completed and mixed'.

[thiscommentisajoke.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 5, 2017 02:56

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
assuming no hits bigger than anything on A Bigger Bang

Ah, yes. #1 in Spain.

I could have sworn it was Italy

SOL #1 in Spain, top 20 in Italy. Top 10 in 7 countries, 5 of them Euro. Streets of Love really is to Europe what Start Me Up was to the U.S. -- their last, truly wide-reaching hit single. It's the "Miss You" of Spain -- their last #1. I'll bet some over there even regard it as a classic.

In fact, we may even hear it again on this tour. Only for Europeans will they dust off anything from A Bigger Bang.

For the U.S. audience, ABB is the forgotten Stones album. Of the five singles from ABB, for the first time ever not one single from a new Rolling Stones long player made the slightest dent in even the lower reaches of the singles charts.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 5, 2017 06:18

For the U.S. audience, ABB is the forgotten Stones album. Of the five singles from ABB, for the first time ever not one single from a new Rolling Stones long player made the slightest dent in even the lower reaches of the singles charts.

U.S. mainstream radio abandoned the Stones after the Steel Wheels tour, worldwide they still got hit singles even with Doom and Gloom but for U.S. audiences nothing after 1981 is interesting, not even their hit singles from the 80's, its all about the Hot Rocks and that's it.

Worldwide, their catalog appeal is wide open.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 5, 2017 17:44

IanBillen, is it a joke?!?winking smileycool smiley

Date: September 5, 2017 17:50

georgelicks

U.S. mainstream radio abandoned the Stones after the Steel Wheels tour, worldwide they still got hit singles even with Doom and Gloom but for U.S. audiences nothing after 1981 is interesting, not even their hit singles from the 80's, its all about the Hot Rocks and that's it.

Well, Harlem Shuffle and Mixed Emotions both made it to #5 in the US. That wasn't too bad?

Love Is Strong, though, really flopped in the US...

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 5, 2017 18:11

Honestly,(if it will come out...)when do you think it could come out...Spring(May/June) or in the fall(December)next year?!?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 5, 2017 20:05

DandelionPowderman
georgelicks

Well, Harlem Shuffle and Mixed Emotions both made it to #5 in the US. That wasn't too bad?

Both HS and ME are "rarities" for U.S. audiences, you don't hear anything past Start Me Up on U.S. classic rock radio.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: September 5, 2017 20:36

georgelicks
DandelionPowderman
georgelicks

Both HS and ME are "rarities" for U.S. audiences, you don't hear anything past Start Me Up on U.S. classic rock radio.

Well, someone start me up (heh heh!) a radio station that plays album tracks as well as singles that isn't ruled by corporate scum.

Date: September 5, 2017 20:51

Harlem Shuffler
georgelicks
DandelionPowderman
georgelicks

Well, someone start me up (heh heh!) a radio station that plays album tracks as well as singles that isn't ruled by corporate scum.

I sometimes listen to KTYD based in Santa Barbara. Along with the standard classic rock overkill, they occasionally play "deep cuts" that are never heard on other stations. As for "recent" Stones, I occasionally hear Saint of Me and Rain Fall Down (among others), and they played cuts from Crosseyed Heart and Blue and Lonesome when they were released - still haven't heard Getta Grip though.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: September 5, 2017 23:53

Hairball
Harlem Shuffler
georgelicks
DandelionPowderman
georgelicks

I sometimes listen to KTYD based in Santa Barbara. Along with the standard classic rock overkill, they occasionally play "deep cuts" that are never heard on other stations. As for "recent" Stones, I occasionally hear Saint of Me and Rain Fall Down (among others), and they played cuts from Crosseyed Heart and Blue and Lonesome when they were released - still haven't heard Getta Grip though.

We need to start our own station, Hairball!

Date: September 5, 2017 23:55

mailexile67
IanBillen, is it a joke?!?winking smileycool smiley

Sho is. It's not even what I 'think' .. because as we all pretty much assume.. the album is simply not finished .. I'm thinking it has a little ways to go just yet.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-05 23:55 by IanBillen.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 12, 2017 11:30

I was looking up stuff on timeisonourside and bumped into this Mick quote about Primitive Cool

It's still rock & roll. What I'm doing is not hugely different to the Stones. I'm not going off and doing opera, I'm not going off and doing Irish folk music, much as those two areas are very interesting. It's not much different to the Stones - but the recording process IS different because it's not a committee of squabbling people. It's much more INSTANT which I think a lot of pop writing SHOULD be. With me and Keith it was NEVER instant. The Rolling Stones recently would go in the studio with very little prepared material and just live in there and camp out there for as long as it took which was sometimes SO frustrating. With the Stones it wasn't just an individual saying, Okay, this is what you do, ding ding ding, which I CAN say to Jeff Beck. I could NEVER say that to Keith because if I did he'd just play something completely different. You can't just throw a song at Keith because he'd probably loathe it on principle. So we'd go in the studio with just a few licks and there was no structure at all and you'd just hang around waiting for a spark. But with my own LPs I had complete songs and complete arrangements and the whole thing of it mentally, and the ability to present my stuff to the players without everybody going, Oh no, that's no good was sort of a new thing for me. Quite refreshing.
- Mick Jagger, 1987

Looks like Keith's changed his tune since, hum...the 1989 sessions ? Well he did get his way (sort of) for VL with not very memorable results, but then it's been like Mick wanted it to be in 1987 and other than B2B with little to remember unfortunately. And now Keith's stalling again...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 11:32 by gotdablouse.

Date: September 12, 2017 11:44

That quote from Mick says a lot about his own stubbornness and unwillingness to be a part of a band, but the reality is he needs someone to bounce ideas off of.

"But with my own LPs I had complete songs and complete arrangements and the whole thing of it mentally, and the ability to present my stuff to the players without everybody going, Oh no, that's no good was sort of a new thing for me. Quite refreshing".

When you surround yourself with hired hands (even of the calibur of Jeff Beck), the last thing they're going to tell you is it's a bad idea you're working on. They do what they're told, and the results will always rest on the shoulders of the boss. Alot of Mick's solo material could have used someone like Keith to elevate it, and the same can be said for some of Keith's material - Micks input might have been beneficial.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 12, 2017 11:47

That quote basically says that the methodology that the Stones used to create all their best work was wrong, and Mick would prefer to dictate to minions, “This is what you do, Bing Bing Bing.” Why doesn’t he just confess on the witness stand?

Date: September 12, 2017 11:54

«I'm not going off and doing Irish folk music»

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 12, 2017 17:42

TeddyB1018
That quote basically says that the methodology that the Stones used to create all their best work was wrong, and Mick would prefer to dictate to minions, “This is what you do, Bing Bing Bing.” Why doesn’t he just confess on the witness stand?

I agree with your conclusion that Mick here is dismissing the 'classic Stones' methodology.

But perhaps what he is also doing here is recognizing that that methodology no longer works. Things, and people, change. Creative outlets need to be recharged and sometimes must be approached from a different direction in order to regain vitality.

If one door is closed and no longer yields desired results, why not try a different door?

(I'm not suggesting Mick and Keith try a different door; that ship has sailed; theirs is a financial rather than a creative partnership. But why shouldn't they try different approaches in their solo work?)

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 12, 2017 19:05

The "methodology" had indeed not worked very well for UC or DW...endless sessions, endless arguing !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 12, 2017 19:06

gotdablouse
The "methodology" had indeed not worked very well for UC or DW...endless sessions, endless arguing !

and mostly crap product!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 12, 2017 19:09

DandelionPowderman
«I'm not going off and doing Irish folk music»

[www.youtube.com]

grinning smiley thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users