Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6869707172737475767778...LastNext
Current Page: 73 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 18, 2017 03:58

Those sneakers Keith is wearing are quite...interesting.
Looks like they could be Converse Chuck Taylor's, but must be a customized version.
Maybe they're the special "No Filter" version, and will be worn by the band and avaialble to the public at merch stands? smiling smiley

ps - Thanks georgelicks for confirming what we kind of already knew.
The tour runs through the end of October, and I assume they'll take a well-deserved break through the Christmas Holidays.
Then they might reconvene after the new year...back to the old drawing board if you will, and see what happens from there.
Hopefully they'll be reinvigorated and re-inspired in the studio, and maybe then announce a tour of the England (which might put the new album in limbo again).

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 18, 2017 04:42

Hairball
Those sneakers Keith is wearing are quite...interesting.
Looks like they could be Converse Chuck Taylor's, but must be a customized version.
Maybe they're the special "No Filter" version, and will be worn by the band and avaialble to the public at merch stands? smiling smiley

ps - Thanks georgelicks for confirming what we kind of already knew.
The tour runs through the end of October, and I assume they'll take a well-deserved break through the Christmas Holidays.
Then they might reconvene after the new year...back to the old drawing board if you will, and see what happens from there.
Hopefully they'll be reinvigorated and re-inspired in the studio, and maybe then announce a tour of the England (which might put the new album in limbo again).

10 days in studio in early November.

Jan and Feb for solidifying all recording.

Mixed in March and April.

Early July Release -

<This is all and pure speculation / wishful thinking ...mind you .. There is no basis or inside info at all in fueling in this projection ... just being real and clear on that... ..but I certainly do HOPE it comes to be true>

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-18 04:47 by IanBillen.

Date: August 18, 2017 04:45

IanBillen

Early July Release -

Fact?

Fiction?

Dreaming?

Speculation?

Educated guess?

Wishful thinking?

ahhh..I see your edit Ian. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-18 04:46 by Hairball.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 18, 2017 04:46

The Stones album from 2018, it hasn't even been released and it's already a classic. It must be -- fans have been talking about it for years... or at least, months that seem like years.

By the time the new album is finally released, it'll already be time for the remixed/remastered version.

Date: August 18, 2017 07:33

Hairball
IanBillen

Early July Release -

Fact?

Fiction?

Dreaming?

Speculation?

Educated guess?

Wishful thinking?

It's a Total Guess... `'100%' hunch ... got nothing at all to go on .. However I did not want to mislead or give the impression I knew something when I don't or give indication I may of heard a rumor when I haven't is all. Hell I WISH I did Lol

Ian

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 18, 2017 10:47

My guess is that in about a year,on page 150,the thread title will change to 2019.

Date: August 18, 2017 11:05

IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen

Early July Release -

Fact?

Fiction?

Dreaming?

Speculation?

Educated guess?

Wishful thinking?

It's a Total Guess...

I was bored on a rolling stones message board,
And I howled at the year twenty eighteen,
But it's all right now, in fact, it's a guess
But it's all right. I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash
It's a guess, guess, guess

Date: August 18, 2017 11:08

The one who waits...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 18, 2017 14:43

DandelionPowderman
The one who waits...

Chuck Berry's fans had to wait 35 years!

Date: August 18, 2017 14:44

jlowe
DandelionPowderman
The one who waits...

Chuck Berry's fans had to wait 35 years!

And got a better album than the previous one! smiling smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 19, 2017 00:30

Yeah, haste just makes waste! The album will certainly arrive just in time for the 150 And Counting tour ... winking smiley

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 19, 2017 03:01

doitywoik
Yeah, haste just makes waste! The album will certainly arrive just in time for the 150 And Counting tour ... winking smiley

And it will be their best since Exile

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 19, 2017 03:45

Rokyfan

Minimally ...

Date: August 19, 2017 05:06

They are not getting the best / most optimal results with everything (the material) ..though I am sure the stuff is at least good.. I think they feel it needs to be 'really' good and I agree.

In order for that to occur I think they are reworking and trying various approaches to the songs to see which versions are the best. I bet they also are waiting to see if songs or riffs can evolve into a little something better.

Then in the end they are deciding what to permanently keep / put on the album is my guess. This is unlike any other work or album they have done ... at least in 30-35 years. They arent just writing songs and recording them and picking the good ones out. This time they are waiting and cultivating ... reworking them to get the material they decide on that much better. This is my thought.

With that noted.. I think there is a chance we will get that darn strong of a release versus just another real good latter day Stones release. They <know> this one HAS to be that good..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-19 05:08 by IanBillen.

Date: August 19, 2017 05:52

IanBillen
I think there is a chance we will get that darn strong of a release versus just another real good latter day Stones release.
Then again, the way they are laboring over the material, and the way they may not be satisfied with the material, even after an eternity in the studio, may be an indication that the old magic just isn't there.

After 12 years, putting together a collection of 10 or 12 songs should have been easy.

They should just put out a single months in advance, perhaps even a double A-side, just the best track or two from what they've recorded so far.

Let the reaction of their eager fans tell them if what they've been working on will pass muster.

The way they've been said to be approaching this album, hashing and rehashing ideas, it sounds like they're trying too hard to live up to their own legend/legacy.

If there is something to come from these sessions, then they should just let it fall into place naturally, rather than trying to force the ideas to fruition.

Because if the results are too self-conscious, then it will show, and they could wind up becoming their own tribute band.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 19, 2017 08:05

doitywoik
Rokyfan

Minimally ...

you two sarcastic bastards will be apologizing if it is!

Date: August 19, 2017 08:22

stonehearted
IanBillen
I think there is a chance we will get that darn strong of a release versus just another real good latter day Stones release.
Then again, the way they are laboring over the material, and the way they may not be satisfied with the material, even after an eternity in the studio, may be an indication that the old magic just isn't there.

After 12 years, putting together a collection of 10 or 12 songs should have been easy.

They should just put out a single months in advance, perhaps even a double A-side, just the best track or two from what they've recorded so far.

Let the reaction of their eager fans tell them if what they've been working on will pass muster.

The way they've been said to be approaching this album, hashing and rehashing ideas, it sounds like they're trying too hard to live up to their own legend/legacy.

If there is something to come from these sessions, then they should just let it fall into place naturally, rather than trying to force the ideas to fruition.

Because if the results are too self-conscious, then it will show, and they could wind up becoming their own tribute band.

Agreed.

There's also the factor of Keith's deteriorating guitar skills...he only played some rhythm on Blue and Lonesome which was OK, but none of it really had that signature Keith riffage happening. And some of what was on Crosseyed Heart had his stamp, but some of that stuff was recorded up to ten years ago so it's hard to judge his present skills based on that. While he played OK at best at the Desert Trip and abbreviated Vegas show, his playing at the Merry Clayton tribute show at the Apollo was a train wreck. Maybe they can fix and edit some of that stuff in the studio, but then it turns in to a Frankenstein type of vibe.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 19, 2017 10:10

Hairball
stonehearted
IanBillen

Agreed.

There's also the factor of Keith's deteriorating guitar skills...he only played some rhythm on Blue and Lonesome which was OK, but none of it really had that signature Keith riffage happening. And some of what was on Crosseyed Heart had his stamp, but some of that stuff was recorded up to ten years ago so it's hard to judge his present skills based on that. While he played OK at best at the Desert Trip and abbreviated Vegas show, his playing at the Merry Clayton tribute show at the Apollo was a train wreck. Maybe they can fix and edit some of that stuff in the studio, but then it turns in to a Frankenstein type of vibe.

thumbs downthumbs down Blah blah blah. Disagree. Keith's guitar skills will not be a detriment on the new album.

Date: August 19, 2017 10:39

stonehearted
IanBillen

There is a point when you start to over cook things and you lose that spontaneity / spark .. but I don't think this is the case because they have not been 'laboring' over this during the past year and a half .. they have been recording in mini bursts every few months or so. I think the short session time frames ensure the magic and spontaneity are still evident. Though the album was not planned ... they knew that was how to keep Blue & Lonesome .. and it worked.. However I think this (this new album) is a different animal.

They have not been recording over two weeks at a time for this album and thse segments have been every few months or so. I don't think they are over thinking it.. I don't think it will be too calculated either. I spend time recording bands in the studio every week .. I've saw bands record magic on the first night.. I have saw everything come together six months later on the same exact song. The magic potion and all that can be a factor but as well it is not necessary .. trust me.. I know.

Sometimes ya have magic on a song that is a year old one night in the studio.. It just happens.. and even if it doesn't if you work hard and do your homework you can get it to sound spontaneous and exciting even on the 10th time you were in working on it (Producer.. Engineer.. and band .. and Mix all have to do with it).

Even with that noted.. They know and understand how over cooking or grinding on material could be a problem .. I simply think they are being careful. They have been doing this longer than anyone .. and they are quite keen on making records .. they (and their Producer...and a few key players) know what they are doing here on this one I believe.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-19 10:49 by IanBillen.

Date: August 19, 2017 10:51

Maindefender
Hairball
stonehearted
IanBillen

Agreed.

thumbs downthumbs down Blah blah blah. Disagree. Keith's guitar skills will not be a detriment on the new album.

Spoken like a true defender of Keith...or maybe blind defender.
There is a reality to consider, and it's obvious his playing has been on the decline for years now...unless you're in complete denial.

IanBillen
They have been doing this longer than anyone .. and they are quite keen on making records ..

Considering their last album of originals was 12 years ago, can't say I agree that they are quite keen on making records.
By the time this new one is released - if it ever get's completed - it will have been at least 13 years or more.
I can't think of any bands that have gone that long between albums other than bands that have broken up and reunited.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-19 10:57 by Hairball.

Date: August 19, 2017 11:06

IanBillen
There is a point when you start to over cook things and you lose that spontaneity / spark .. but I don't think this is the case because they have not been 'laboring' over this during the past year and a half .. trust me.. I know.
The trouble is, these album sessions have no momentum. The "spark" is creativity, building on something, a larger project, to see it through. Imagine if they had started Exile in 1971... only to finish it in 1975 or 1976. Do you think it would have been as great?

What they should do at this point is just forget about the album, abandon that age-old idea of believing that they can't put out something new unless they have 14 or 15 new songs at once.

Just like Mick claims to have done this summer, let the Stones embrace this new process as well -- just release one or two songs, as a double-sided "single". That way, the pressure's off.

They would no longer have to worry about trying to measure up to releasing the greatest album since Exile On Main Street or Some Girls or what have you. If they have a song or two, just put it out.

Because of their latter-day touring schedule, they can no longer invest the time to build the momentum that is needed to create a such a solid Long Play release, because that would take months, the better part of a year.

Now, playing clusters of concerts every year, unprecedented for them since the mid-1960s, their recording output will likewise have to change -- otherwise, they will keep "hitting the wall" with an album they feel they can never finish.

Instead, if they feel they must release new music, in addition to continually touring, then just release a song or two at a time, every few months, why not?

Why does there have to be a new Rolling Stones album, when there can simply be new Rolling Stones songs, every year to accompany every new tour?

This recording a new album in fits and starts, it obviously doesn't work. They're not touring in the same way as before, so why should they approach recording the same old way?

Oh, and Ian, no, I don't trust you -- only because I don't know you, but I'm sure you're a good bloke just the same. smiling smiley

Date: August 19, 2017 11:12

Another solid post stonehearted. thumbs up

And yes, I also believe Ian is a good bloke!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 19, 2017 13:26

Yes best album since Exilé.
And off course best show ever to follow.

doitywoik
Rokyfan

Minimally ...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 19, 2017 14:11

Hairball
Maindefender
Hairball
stonehearted
IanBillen

Agreed.

Spoken like a true defender of Keith...or maybe blind defender.
There is a reality to consider, and it's obvious his playing has been on the decline for years now...unless you're in complete denial.

MD: Yes I'm a card carrying member, signed up for the lifetime offer back in '75...>grinning smiley<tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-19 14:12 by Maindefender.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 19, 2017 15:27

I also think they should just release good tunes as they get them done. Obviously Mick is down with this kind of concept. Maybe they don't even have two songs that they consider to be worthy of public listening, or some in the Stones camp are determined to cling on to the idea of an 'album'.

I guess the other problem, of course, is dealing with the huge weight of their legacy. It must be pretty scary to put something new out and see how it goes down, given their massive catalogue and amazing track record.

Putting out just a song (or an EP would be great) would greatly alleviate that pressure.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 19, 2017 16:40

Since none of us really knows anything and since I am only slightly more full of shit than most of you, here's my summary of where we stand regarding The Supposed Album, aka Hitting the Wall:

--They are not constrained by their "legacy." They haven't released an album of originals in 12 years and counting ... and they haven't released a good album in more than 35 years. They ought to be free and easy, swingin' for the fences--what have they got to lose? The worst case is: they release a record as middling as their last six ... what's the big deal?

--While a single, or series of single releases would definitely constitute a 'modern' approach, designed to tap into the spontaneity and immediacy of the streaming market, the fact is that the Stones will never have a streaming hit. Never. Their audience are not by and large "streamers," and the streaming crowd has no interest in the band. The best they can possibly hope for is a holiday-timed branded 'Starbucks"-type release like Blue & Dreadful. Even if the songs were mediocre (and we know most of them are bound to be just that), an artful promo campaign designed around "their last hurrah" would probably produce a reasonable hit in physical media sales ... and be ignored by the rest of the world.

--The idea that they are "laboring" over these songs, "reworking" them endlessly in the hopes that they "develop" into something great seems a bit ... wacky to me. They've done perfectly perfunctory albums before and could've done one more this time, just to get product out into the market, if they'd wanted to. These guys know how to make a record; they also probably know when what they have is not worth releasing. Or maybe, given the Mick single and the fact that Charlie and Ron played on it, there's such a creative fissure in the band that they just can't even decide what to do. (Although that fissure will not keep them off the road or prevent them from lining their coffers one more time--thank god they're only creatively and not financially bankrupt!)

I do hope that both Mick and Keith continue to write, record, and release new material, and I think they should do that as often as they can and get it out in front of people as quickly as they can. There's more of a level of freedom, of looseness if you will, with a Jagger-only song or a Richards single ... who knows? The old lions might come up with something under the radar and find it percolating up the charts ... at least they could have some fun and express themselves in the process.

But a Stones release? Just beginning to seem too much like a unwieldy monolith weighted down by inertia and hesitancy -- time to move on!

Date: August 19, 2017 17:03

What is frustrating to me is that I know, I am convinced, that Mick & Keith could put together a really good album; an album that fits time-wise. I guess, an "appropriate" album; (as much as I hate that term).
But, now matter what they say, I think they are both completely swallowed up by their legacy, their status. Mick can't put a lyric together; and tries to keep up with trends. At 70 plus, this often ends up in embarrassment.
Keith is so busy being a legend, the old Bluesman, he so badly wants to be. Which he would be if just quit yapping about it.
There are several of their peers who remain valid and humble at same time.
They need to go back to that "Blue & Lonesome" mindset. Get everything set up just like it was then, and then quickly, w/o them noticing, the producer substitutes an original song in there. winking smiley

Date: August 19, 2017 17:22

stonehearted
IanBillen
There is a point when you start to over cook things and you lose that spontaneity / spark .. but I don't think this is the case because they have not been 'laboring' over this during the past year and a half .. trust me.. I know.
The trouble is, these album sessions have no momentum. The "spark" is creativity, building on something, a larger project, to see it through. Imagine if they had started Exile in 1971... only to finish it in 1975 or 1976. Do you think it would have been as great?

What they should do at this point is just forget about the album, abandon that age-old idea of believing that they can't put out something new unless they have 14 or 15 new songs at once.

Just like Mick claims to have done this summer, let the Stones embrace this new process as well -- just release one or two songs, as a double-sided "single". That way, the pressure's off.

They would no longer have to worry about trying to measure up to releasing the greatest album since Exile On Main Street or Some Girls or what have you. If they have a song or two, just put it out.

Because of their latter-day touring schedule, they can no longer invest the time to build the momentum that is needed to create a such a solid Long Play release, because that would take months, the better part of a year.

Now, playing clusters of concerts every year, unprecedented for them since the mid-1960s, their recording output will likewise have to change -- otherwise, they will keep "hitting the wall" with an album they feel they can never finish.

Instead, if they feel they must release new music, in addition to continually touring, then just release a song or two at a time, every few months, why not?

Why does there have to be a new Rolling Stones album, when there can simply be new Rolling Stones songs, every year to accompany every new tour?

This recording a new album in fits and starts, it obviously doesn't work. They're not touring in the same way as before, so why should they approach recording the same old way?

Oh, and Ian, no, I don't trust you -- only because I don't know you, but I'm sure you're a good bloke just the same. smiling smiley

you wrote: "They're not touring in the same way as before, so why should they approach recording the same old way?"

>>>I think you answered / proved the point I was trying to make.

When I said 'Keen' I mean they know what they are doing.. they are experts in that subject .. as far as a band is concerned. Couple that in with a producer and seasoned engineer and certainly they are keen.

Mick Jagger once said..."There are many ways to make a Rolling Stones Album"
This is a new one.

Releasing 'singles' would not satisfy me. Nor would it satisfy the masses. Those would be teases more than anything and IMO that is lame.

You are knocking the quality of this album before it has been released...In a sense .. that is not fair to me .. the board .. and The Stones lol. Wait until ya hear the thing to say they cannot create good music or not anymore ...at least.. yikes smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-19 17:24 by IanBillen.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 19, 2017 17:43

'Releasing 'singles' would not satisfy me. Nor would it satisfy the masses. Those would be teases more than anything and IMO that is lame.'

Isn't that exactly how pop music and the Stones started?

Better a couple of singles put out (what they judge to be the best) than waiting longer for a whole (possibly underwhelming) album. Or, indeed, for nothing.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: August 19, 2017 18:14

How many problems for an album (after over 12 years...), how many discussions...It seems that they are lawyers or echonomists...Baaahhh!drinking smileythumbs down

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6869707172737475767778...LastNext
Current Page: 73 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2184
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home