Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374...LastNext
Current Page: 69 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 21, 2017 22:14

Hairball
I met Keith briefly in Stockholm, Sweden.
He smiled and said something unintelligible to me, I smiled back and looked him in the eye trying not to act confused. I shook his hand and thanked him as if he had just bought me a pint.
He said something else and smiled (could have been "gold rings on ya" winking smiley), I smiled, we said goodbye, and that was it.
I never mentioned the Stones, never asked for an autograph, never asked for guitar advice, just a simple hello how are you, thank you very much, and goodbye.

I'm not exactly impressed with the way you handled a slightly inebriated Keith lol. You should have said something like what's this I hear about you letting Mick pull all the shots these days. Mind you he might have given you a Kerby kiss so just as well you didn’t . What did Keith look like Hairball, it's those eyes that made me freeze, I just mumbled something about him being my hero and he mumbled something back like eehmmahhahe mate, and that was that . I felt a bit of a tit and moved on briskly. My brother had a long chat with him after I was out the way, he said it was his best gig of the tour and that he was going to do all he could to save the Town And County Club. As it happens he did just that.
It always pissed me off that I forgot to get an autograph off him. I'm 6ft 2" tall and was surprised how small he was, he had a tiny frame too. Still my brother got him to sign Main Offender and his Winos t shirt so happy days.

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: July 21, 2017 22:20

"Ask Keith Richards: Are you inspired to get back in the studio with the Stones and record?" video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-21 22:21 by kuenzer.

Date: July 21, 2017 22:25

kuenzer
"Ask Keith Richards: Are you inspired to get back in the studio with the Stones and record?" video: [www.youtube.com]

Thanks got it , not entirely sure this is recent.

keith being very complementary of M Taylor these days.
keith looks well ,younger than Mick, you can tell he's stopped drinking again, Go Keith Go
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-21 23:05 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 22, 2017 01:06

stone4ever
Hairball
I met Keith briefly in Stockholm, Sweden.
He smiled and said something unintelligible to me, I smiled back and looked him in the eye trying not to act confused. I shook his hand and thanked him as if he had just bought me a pint.
He said something else and smiled (could have been "gold rings on ya" winking smiley), I smiled, we said goodbye, and that was it.
I never mentioned the Stones, never asked for an autograph, never asked for guitar advice, just a simple hello how are you, thank you very much, and goodbye.

I'm not exactly impressed with the way you handled a slightly inebriated Keith lol. You should have said something like what's this I hear about you letting Mick pull all the shots these days. Mind you he might have given you a Kerby kiss so just as well you didn’t . What did Keith look like Hairball, it's those eyes that made me freeze, I just mumbled something about him being my hero and he mumbled something back like eehmmahhahe mate, and that was that . I felt a bit of a tit and moved on briskly. My brother had a long chat with him after I was out the way, he said it was his best gig of the tour and that he was going to do all he could to save the Town And County Club. As it happens he did just that.
It always pissed me off that I forgot to get an autograph off him. I'm 6ft 2" tall and was surprised how small he was, he had a tiny frame too. Still my brother got him to sign Main Offender and his Winos t shirt so happy days.

Lol..."eehmmahhahe mate"! I think that's what he might have said to me! winking smiley

I never get star struck, but that was pretty close. It was early in the day, there wasn't much time for lengthy conversation as there were several people in the area, and while he had some kind of drink in his hand, I don't think he was drunk...yet. Didn't want to bother him for an autograph, as the memory is more important to me. I'm also 6'2" and yes he seemed very small. I noticed the same with Mick after seeing him up close at several club shows during the Licks tour...they both must be about 5'6" (or 5'7") and skinnier than hell. Met Ronnie a couple of times as well over the years - once at a private art show reception in Vegas in '02. He made the rounds as I stood in front of a Hendrix paining of his, and when he approached me I simply complimented his work and congratulated him on the art show (a very nice gallery at the Venetian hotel). I actually talked with his then wife Jo more than him! I ended up buying a nice hand signed limited numbered self portrait print of him holding a guitar for a reasonable price, and am happy to say they value has increased quite a bit since then! He also sent me a caricature pen drawing of himself (via the gallery) signed with a personalized "cheers" to me. Met him briefly at another Vegas art show in '06 at the Mandalay, but it was a mob scene so just got his attention and had him give my wife a hug. First time I met him was at a Bob Dylan concert at the Santa Monica Civic in '79 - he sat right next to me and my brother fifth row center and borrowed a pipe and matches from us - he stuffed some hash into it, took a hit and passed it back to us.

edit: Also sort of met Charlie once. He was on the same British Airways flight from Amsterdam to London on a small jet during the Licks shows. He and his bodyguard sat a few rows in front of us, and several people throughout the flight bugged him for an autograph which he seemingly happily signed. Surprisingly, he and his guard waited at the luggage carousel with everyone in London. A friend of mine approached Charlie and asked if he could take a picture, and without hesitation handed me his camera and Charlie happily posed with him. My claim to fame with Charlie is that I actually took a photograph of him!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-22 01:35 by Hairball.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 22, 2017 01:43

Hairball
I'm also 6'2" and yes he seemed very small. I noticed the same with Mick after seeing him up close at several club shows during the Licks tour...they both must be about 5'6" (or 5'7") and skinnier than hell.
Here are the heights of each Stone, at least as publicly listed:
Mick: 5' 10"
Keith 5' 9.5"
Charlie: 5' 8"

Not sure of Ron Wood offhand, but Bill Wyman and Brian Jones were each 5' 6", and when you see early photos of the band, they are both noticeably shorter than Mick and Keith.

It's important to also consider that they grew up under the food rationing of Post-War England, an environment that was unlikely to produce physical giants.

Date: July 22, 2017 01:58

stonehearted
Hairball
I'm also 6'2" and yes he seemed very small. I noticed the same with Mick after seeing him up close at several club shows during the Licks tour...they both must be about 5'6" (or 5'7") and skinnier than hell.
Keith 5' 9.5"

Not sure of Ron Wood offhand, but Bill Wyman and Brian Jones were each 5' 6", and when you see early photos of the band, they are both noticeably shorter than Mick and Keith.

It's important to also consider that they grew up under the food rationing of Post-War England, an environment that was unlikely to produce physical giants.

Also, generally speaking, English people aren't known for their height.
My wife (originally from England) is 5'6", and her parents are both the same (her dad might be 5'7"). When I was a student living in England in '87, I towered over the English family I lived with. My best friend in England is 5'7". It becomes noticeable if you're in England, and then go over to Holland where people are like giants in comparison. Being of Dutch, English, and Scottish heritage, I ended up with the tall Dutch genes as did most of my close family.

Date: July 22, 2017 02:42

stonehearted
Hairball
Keith 5' 9.5"

I can tell you straight Keith is not that tall, not 5' 9.5"
Mick might be with his trainers that are built up but not without.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 22, 2017 02:52

Seeing them up close several times I would say Jagger is about 5'8" tops along with WOOD. Richards about 5'7" and watts is tiny about 5'5" and Wyman was about 5'6".

Date: July 22, 2017 03:41

Jack Nicholson is 5' 10" and in this 1985 photo they look about even:

Ringo is 5' 6" so you can see Charlie is a couple inches taller:

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 22, 2017 03:53

Cute lil miniature superheroes.

Date: July 22, 2017 04:27

From BBC news:

According to the Office for National Statistics, the average man in England was 5ft 9in (175.3cm) tall and weighed 13.16 stone (83.6kg) or 184 pounds.
The average woman in England was 5ft 3in tall (161.6cm) and weighed 11 stone (70.2kg) or 154 pounds.

Also from BBC news and Science Daily:

Dutch men revealed as world's tallest at an average of 6ft (182.88 cm).

Date: July 22, 2017 04:30

stonehearted

\

I dunno...appears that Jack is looking down at Keith, and Keith's shabby hair makes it hard to judge.

As for Ringo, his head is tilted sideways, and he's standing further back so not a fair comparison perspective wise.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 22, 2017 06:56

Hairball
stonehearted

\smileys with beer

I dunno...appears that Jack is looking down at Keith, and Keith's shabby hair makes it hard to judge.

As for Ringo, his head is tilted sideways, and he's standing further back so not a fair comparison perspective wise.
Shirley's boobs are better...

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: July 22, 2017 09:59

I've been hugged by all of them and they all seem to be about 5'7".

Date: July 22, 2017 10:40

Hairball
Well, okay, his head is tilted sideways, but his shoulders aren't. A good two inches shorter.

Edit: However, here's Bill Wyman, appearing to be the same height as Charlie, which would make Mick 5' 7" or so in this photo, so I don't know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-22 10:45 by stonehearted.

Date: July 22, 2017 10:53

stonehearted

This is from live Aid Keith is wearing heals with boots if I remember correctly. Keith has shrunk since he ditched the boots, he used to appear almost as tall as Mick, but since Keith just wares normal training shoes these days and Mick has built up training shoes there is a marked difference in their height.

Date: July 22, 2017 10:56

chatoyancy
I've been hugged by all of them and they all seem to be about 5'7".

This is correct I think , as I say Mick's shoes trainers are built up, I've seen them and it's common knowledge, it's been written about, he wanted to be taller for his then girlfriend Scott, she towered above him. Jerry was six feet tall she had to wear flat shoes because she also towered above him. He is 5' 8" tops 5'10.5“ with built up sneekers. Bill I think is shorter than the rest of them. It's so easy to pick out a picture showing one taller than the other but it's down to footwear and angles. I'd give an inch to Jagger over Richards, doesn’t count for anything. Most Rock stars from the 60's were short men, generations are getting much taller since then. Perhaps small people succeed in this business because they want to prove themselves more, who knows, I just think people were much smaller back then, Mick was considered tall in his day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-22 12:24 by stone4ever.

Date: July 22, 2017 11:34

stone4ever
Keith has shrunk since
Okay, look at this photo, and check out the shoulders. Keith is just a half inch shy of Mick, Charlie next tallest (or shortest), then Bill, then Brian. Note the differences between shoulders.

And here -- Phil Spector was 5' 5":

To erase any further doubt, here's Mick and John Lennon in 1974 -- note the shoulders, only an inch or so difference. Lennon was 5' 11".

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: July 22, 2017 12:20

Waiting for 15/20 more pages and this thread will be about grass growing in the street. 69 pages about a album we know nothing!!!

Date: July 22, 2017 12:26

ouroux58
Waiting for 15/20 more pages and this thread will be about grass growing in the street. 69 pages about a album we know nothing!!!

Well you know some posters like LB think the album is a hoax lol.

Date: July 22, 2017 12:29

ouroux58

This street's too busy for grass to grow here... [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 23, 2017 00:58

So how many times does Bv have to say (and how hard is it) .. to stay on topic?

The thread is supposed to be about things / matters relating to the new album they are working on .. .. .....

Date: July 23, 2017 01:20

IanBillen

The thread is supposed to be about things / matters relating to the new album they are working on .. .. .....

Then maybe this thread should be temporarily closed, as all the focus is currently on Mick Jagger and Gotta Getta Grip/England Lost, with no signs of anything happening with a new Stones album.
What else is there to talk about regarding a new album anyways? No new info. is coming in, and the possible release date has been changed to 2018.

Date: July 23, 2017 02:11

Hairball
IanBillen

Then maybe this thread should be temporarily closed, as all the focus is currently on Mick Jagger and Gotta Getta Grip/England Lost, with no signs of anything happening with a new Stones album.
What else is there to talk about regarding a new album anyways? No new info. is coming in, and the possible release date has been changed to 2018.

Well Actually I was not referring to you .. I was referring to those that haven't posted about or expressed their opinions the album yet but are posting about everything else under the sun here in this thread.

There is some more news.. Keith recently said they are going back in the studio very, very shortly ... (my question is how soon could it possibly be .. hell Mick supposedly has a song to deal with and they most likely will be going in for rehearsals in another month .. Lol).

Mick said they had half an album done six months ago .. or something like that..

I wonder if they scrapped the original direction of many songs and reworked / rethought / rewrote / recut them?

When it is all said and done they will have worked on and off on this album for well over two years .. almost 2 and a half .. by the time it gets here..

Date: July 23, 2017 02:20

IanBillen
how soon could it possibly be .. Mick supposedly has... they most likely will be going in for ...

Mick said .. or something like that..

I wonder if they... ?

As one of those being scolded for participating in the friendly conversations above, I just thought you might like to see what the gist your most recent ON-TOPIC post actually looks like.

I suppose I should just drop out of this thread so as not to ruffle anyone's feathers. See y'all back here when we have something more definite to discuss -- in 2018.

Date: July 23, 2017 04:32

IanBillen
Well Actually I was not referring to you ..

Yeah well I wasn't referring to me alone in my reply either, but speaking for everyone else who is biding their time by adding to a thread which by all intents and purposes is currently dead..or at least gasping for breath.
A bit of harmless posting in between important updates can't hurt anyone. Important updates such as:

"There is some more news.. Keith recently said they are going back in the studio very, very shortly ..."

Wow thanks for that! winking smiley

stonehearted
IanBillen
how soon could it possibly be .. Mick supposedly has... they most likely will be going in for ...

I wonder if they... ?

As one of those being scolded for participating in the friendly conversations above, I just thought you might like to see what the gist your most recent ON-TOPIC post actually looks like.

I suppose I should just drop out of this thread so as not to ruffle anyone's feathers. See y'all back here when we have something more definite to discuss -- in 2018.

No don't drop out yet stonehearted - there's still the intense debate regarding Mick and Keith's height vs. Phil Spector, Ringo, John Lennon, and Jack Nicholson in comparison to Bill, Brian, Ronnie, and Charlie. drinking smiley

It should be noted that Darryl isn't as tall as he may appear on stage either...I'm guessing 5'11" at the most.
Chuck Leavel...hard to tell as he sits most of the time behind his piano, but something tells me he's very short...probably 5'5".

By the way, who might that lady be with Ringo in the above pic taken c. 72/73?
She looks familiar, but I know Ringo eventually hooked up with Barbara Bach around '79.

Date: July 23, 2017 04:59

Hairball
She looks familiar, but I know Ringo eventually hooked up with Barbara Bach around '79.
That's his first wife, Maureen.

But, to keep on topic, yes, I wonder just how tall Darryl Jones is, the long-running hired bassist who will be playing on the album so new it won't be released until next year.

Also, Bernard, the back-up singer, who also will most likely be on the pre-new album that will be new in 2018, seems especially tall. Last night I was watching the Havana Moon DVD, released 2 years before the currently new album which won't be current until 2018. He seems to tower over "the boys".

And what about Sasha Allen, another of the back-up singers who will likely appear on the new album that's been out for several months in discussion only? Mick doesn't seem any taller than her, and she doesn't appear to be more than 5' 7" or so.

Speaking about the new album from next year, I kind of wish they'd kept the recording of it a secret, and just made an announcement a couple months before a definite release date. An album that gets talked about for years in advance will make it easier for long-running expectations to be dashed. This album may even get old before it's had a chance to be new.

Date: July 23, 2017 05:00

Hairball
IanBillen

Yeah well I wasn't referring to me alone in my reply either, but speaking for everyone else who is biding their time by adding to a thread which by all intents and purposes is currently dead..or at least gasping for breath.
A bit of harmless posting in between important updates can't hurt anyone. Important updates such as:

"There is some more news.. Keith recently said they are going back in the studio very, very shortly ..."

stonehearted
IanBillen

I wonder if they... ?

No don't drop out yet stonehearted - there's still the intense debate regarding Mick and Keith's height vs. Phil Spector, Ringo, John Lennon, and Jack Nicholson in comparison to Bill, Brian, Ronnie, and Charlie. drinking smiley

It should be noted that Darryl isn't as tall as he may appear on stage either...I'm guessing 5'11" at the most.
Chuck Leavel...hard to tell as he sits most of the time behind his piano, but something tells me he's very short...probably 5'5".

Not trying to be a brown nose.. (or jerky) but here we are posting images and pictures of The Stones and arguing over their height back and forth etc. etc.. This thread was specifically created for issues concerning the new album. Bv has came on this thread a few times and specifically asked that we please keep it that way .. Not for anything but it appears 'disrespectful' to not to at least to a point grant his wishes .. and to chat about everything else with pics images etc. after he asked us not to stray or indulge too far off topic in this thread is my point. I know many dont see it that way ... or dont intend it to be disrespectful that way .. but it appears as such .. you kno. Jus sayin... (that's really the only place I was coming from with it).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-23 05:06 by IanBillen.

Date: July 23, 2017 05:10

Hairball
IanBillen

stonehearted
IanBillen

I wonder if they... ?

Nobody is scolding anyone dude. Im simply speaking up on a certain request. The owner of the board came on this thread a few times for the sole reason to ask we keep this thread on the topic of the album only.

If you ask me.. its like someone asking you not to smoke in their house a few times and then when they leave the room people start lighting up. Its the same thing in my opinion. Its a matter of respect -

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 23, 2017 05:29

There's something personal in all this, I fear. Just how tall are you, Ian?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374...LastNext
Current Page: 69 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home