Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6162636465666768697071...LastNext
Current Page: 66 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 16, 2017 00:42

The new album cover:

(No it's not.)

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 16, 2017 00:50

Title5Take1
The new album cover:

(No it's not.)

If there's a god in heaven this WILL be the cover.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 16, 2017 03:12

Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
If you're waiting for something like Beggars, that train left the station nearly 50 years ago on a one way trip...destination unknown.

Actually, that destination turned out to be LET IT BLEED and STICKY FINGERS, both of which had leftovers so good they went on EOMS.

Yes - it was just an off the cuff/tongue in cheek comment generalizing the situation 50 years after the fact.

Oh.

Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 16, 2017 03:13

treaclefingers
LongBeachArena72
treaclefingers
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
bv
1. The material should be significant

A great rule, indeed. One cannot help but wish they might've applied it to their last 6 or 7 records.

I doubt they set out to make poor records, they are probably too close to the music they create to know how it will be received until it is received , and even then it takes time. Exile had negative reviews, it took a few years for it to get the acclaim it deserved.
I actually thought the last 6 albums were pretty good as it happens, its just that folks on IORR are hard to please winking smiley

...and you're right...only horrible record they've ever really put out is dirty work. the last several have been 'pretty good' for the most part, but not classic.

Just for the record, I wasn't commenting on whether the records were poor or pretty good or horrible or not classic.

I was responding to bv's very specific--and fascinating, at least to me--use of the word 'significant.' Calling material "significant' is different from passing a snap judgment or offering a quick opinion. Significance connotes thought, importance, relevance, power. The Stones have not produced material meeting that standard for a very long time, in my opinion.

sweet neo con was significant...just not very good.

It was not significant at all - and it's one of their worst songs ever.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 16, 2017 04:23

......Well I'll go E ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 16, 2017 05:37

I'll take T and E please

'she's my little T and E...'

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: July 16, 2017 06:03

LongBeachArena72
Title5Take1
The new album cover:
(No it's not.)

Not a chance. After the flak they got for the 'Black and Blue' advertising and the 'Some Girls' album cover, there's no way this happens in today's world.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 16, 2017 12:07

peoplewitheyes
I'll take T and E please

'she's my little T and E...'

T is my girlfriend, E my ex... so you better watch yourself...

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: July 16, 2017 12:18

Yep, T & E would do nicely. This would be an awesome cover!!! LOL

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 16, 2017 14:56

heinz57

Hi Heinz...call your sources!!smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 16, 2017 17:19

GetYerAngie
Hairball
LongBeachArena72
Hairball
frankotero
Yes, Steel Wheels monitor mixes was superior in music quality imo. Maybe The Stones are taking this into consideration with a new album? Must be a lot of work just thinking about the approach besides just making new songs.

They should use the most recent releases - Blue and Lonesome and Crosseyed Heart - as blueprints for the production.
Seems only natural they would, but then again some strange curveballs (as has been mentioned) could take it to a different oddball territory.

Were they produced well? I'll take your word for it. I couldn't get past the lukewarm covers and the tuneless originals for long enough to tell.

Can't we have something produced like, oh, I don't know, Beggars Banquet?

Yes there was minimal production - in the case of Crosseyed Heart it was warm and sincere, while in the case of B&L it was almost live in the studio sounding as they supposedly only did one or two takes.
While the former was far superior because of the originals, the latter was underwhelming due to the average at best covers. Take the best of both of these - warm, sincere, and "live" - and they might come up with something worthy, but of course they need good songs to begin with which might be asking too much at this point.

If you're waiting for something like Beggars, that train left the station nearly 50 years ago on a one way trip...destination unknown.

B&L was surprisingly good ( my exspectations of a blues cover album was low) - and CH was unfortunately as boring as Main defender and TIC quickly turned out to be. I sure hope they do not follow the CH path.

What I personally would like to see is, like Blue & Lonesome, we get The Stones TOGETHER in a studio PLAYING, rather than simply phoning in their individual bits via software. I would simply like the band to BE a band, not a bunch of componentsm on different continents. I would then forgive them any musical off-ness, if I KNEW they created the songs as A BAND. Because Blue & Lonesome shows, to me, that IF they record as a band, they ARE still the f*****g best band in the world.

Rod

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: July 16, 2017 20:02

bitusa2012
GetYerAngie
Hairball
LongBeachArena72
Hairball
frankotero
Yes, Steel Wheels monitor mixes was superior in music quality imo. Maybe The Stones are taking this into consideration with a new album? Must be a lot of work just thinking about the approach besides just making new songs.

They should use the most recent releases - Blue and Lonesome and Crosseyed Heart - as blueprints for the production.
Seems only natural they would, but then again some strange curveballs (as has been mentioned) could take it to a different oddball territory.

Were they produced well? I'll take your word for it. I couldn't get past the lukewarm covers and the tuneless originals for long enough to tell.

Yes there was minimal production - in the case of Crosseyed Heart it was warm and sincere, while in the case of B&L it was almost live in the studio sounding as they supposedly only did one or two takes.
While the former was far superior because of the originals, the latter was underwhelming due to the average at best covers. Take the best of both of these - warm, sincere, and "live" - and they might come up with something worthy, but of course they need good songs to begin with which might be asking too much at this point.

B&L was surprisingly good ( my exspectations of a blues cover album was low) - and CH was unfortunately as boring as Main defender and TIC quickly turned out to be. I sure hope they do not follow the CH path.

What I personally would like to see is, like Blue & Lonesome, we get The Stones TOGETHER in a studio PLAYING, rather than simply phoning in their individual bits via software. I would simply like the band to BE a band, not a bunch of componentsm on different continents. I would then forgive them any musical off-ness, if I KNEW they created the songs as A BAND. Because Blue & Lonesome shows, to me, that IF they record as a band, they ARE still the f*****g best band in the world.

Yes that would be nice - and it seems like that is the way it is made, doesn't it? I mean B&L was just a minor part of it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 16, 2017 20:12

GetYerAngie
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie
Hairball
LongBeachArena72
Hairball
frankotero

Yes that would be nice - and it seems like that is the way it is made, doesn't it? I mean B&L was just a minor part of it.

With some high quality songs similar to what Keith gifted us with via Crosseyed Heart, we may have a winner. Also using the same production values will ensure to be something we should all be happy with.
Interesting that Mick's Get a Grip/England Lost didn't pass the muster from the other Stones...maybe those tunes were a bit too 'contemporary', and possibly why the Universal people called the sessions 'uneven' and 'unfocused'.
Seems like a win win situation in the end for everyone - fans and band members alike. thumbs up

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 16, 2017 20:54

It's not very likely the two tracks on Mick's new solo single are rejected Stones songs. Mick always says he writes some things that are suitable for the Stones and some things that are more suitable for solo recordings. On occasion, Keith will agree to be more experimental and open and some of the songs Mick would have held back do become Stones songs. While it does appear there are some experimental tracks on the next Stones album, chances are good neither "Gotta Get a Grip" (which is allegedly more dance-orientated) and "England Lost" (which is allegedly topical) were ever considered for the album. Both seem like the sort of songs Keith would prefer The Stones avoid tackling.

Most of CROSSEYED HEART would not suit Mick. The majority of the tracks could have made a Stones album as Keith's lead vocal spots, but they're just the sort of song that wouldn't really work well for Mick to sing. To be fair, I don't see much connection between BLUE AND LONESOME and CROSSEYED HEART either. The former is simply the blues album that has been discussed for 25 years. The difference is this time all concerned were up for it and they found their producer and label enthusiastic about the idea of it opening the door to launching what one must presume is the last act of their recording career.

Additionally, if the label dismissed "Gotta Get a Grip" and "England Lost" as uneven, they wouldn't be releasing them as a solo single with budgets for music videos attached. This is simply Mick solo and something Universal is behind because it can continue to build a buzz and audience support for the new Stones album next year. In that sense, it's just the same as CROSSEYED HEART or SUPERHEAVY. These are solo excursions that help the artists stay creative and potentially expand the market for the band's next effort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-16 20:58 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: heinz57 ()
Date: July 16, 2017 21:09

KRiffhard
heinz57

Hi KR - What I've heard is that the album is not finished but is coming together well. There are a lot of good songs and some great ones. One highlight is a beautiful, soulful ballad. I expect this to be a really good album but I personally would not expect a radical departure from other albums. The Stones are the Stones and they do what they do. They have high standards and they will meet them.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 16, 2017 21:40

heinz57
KRiffhard
heinz57

Hi KR - What I've heard is that the album is not finished but is coming together well. There are a lot of good songs and some great ones. One highlight is a beautiful, soulful ballad. I expect this to be a really good album but I personally would not expect a radical departure from other albums. The Stones are the Stones and they do what they do. They have high standards and they will meet them.

Thanks Heinz!!
I agree with you and i think that it will be something similar to BTB.

Date: July 16, 2017 22:16

heinz57
KRiffhard
heinz57

thumbs up

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: July 16, 2017 22:20

Did you hear about the approximate release? Will it be fall/winter 2017 or has it completely moved to 2018?

The videos and pics from NYC look encouraging as they are still working on it.

Date: July 16, 2017 22:23

heinz57
KRiffhard
heinz57

I'm confident they will meet their own high standards, too.

I'd just appreciate knowing which of their high standards they planned on meeting: Dirty Work, Let It Bleed, or A Bigger Bang?

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: July 16, 2017 22:39

They were planning on a combination of the enthusiastic guitar work found on Dirty Work, excellent song craftsmanship from Let It Bleed, and live garage band sound from A Bigger Bang.

..or was it barking vocals (DW), sterile sound (LIB ), and compressed brickwalled mastering (ABB )?

Hopefully the former.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-16 22:40 by Sipuncula.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 16, 2017 22:48

"One highlight is a beautiful, soulful ballad."

Pitter pat, goes my heart.

Thanks for the info.!

Date: July 16, 2017 23:03

Sipuncula
They were planning on a combination of the enthusiastic guitar work found on Dirty Work, excellent song craftsmanship from Let It Bleed, and live garage band sound from A Bigger Bang.

..or was it barking vocals (DW), sterile sound (LIB ), and compressed brickwalled mastering (ABB )?

Hopefully the former.

Time alone will tell.

Let It Bleed's sound is sterile?

Date: July 16, 2017 23:27

I've always thought it seemed like they had finally mastered the studio with that one, but the live band feel was missing. Not only is the sound too dry, but, take for example, Midnight Rambler, which is more like a template for the live version. I can't listen to the studio track anymore when there are superior live takes out there. Minor blemish of course. Nothing is perfect, except for the songwriting during that period.

Same story with the later Beatles stuff, but it was much more rampant in that case. Doesn't help that the Stones were a much better live band.

I'd like to see that Blue and Lonesome sound to the next album. I know you think the content is dull, but it sounds like the Stones are playing right in front of me with their guitars plugged into my speakers.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 16, 2017 23:29

Sterile???

Date: July 16, 2017 23:46

Unpopular view, it seems.

It's not like I'm about to proclaim Dirty Work as my favorite; I'll reserve that honor for Voodoo Lounge. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-16 23:47 by Sipuncula.

Date: July 17, 2017 00:24

I get what you mean, Sipuncula.

GS, LIV, YGS, MM and YCAGWYW sound great, though.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 17, 2017 00:50

Should be "No filler"

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 17, 2017 01:33

KRiffhard
heinz57
KRiffhard
heinz57

Thanks Heinz!!
I agree with you and i think that it will be something similar to BTB.

The soulful balls already exceeds BTB, which is what I'm expecting..drinking smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 17, 2017 02:36

'soulful balls' - isn't that a Barry White album?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 17, 2017 03:47

LongBeachArena72

Yeah, but drawn by Robert Crumb smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6162636465666768697071...LastNext
Current Page: 66 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home