Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2017 02:27

LongBeachArena72
Hairball
frankotero
Yes, Steel Wheels monitor mixes was superior in music quality imo. Maybe The Stones are taking this into consideration with a new album? Must be a lot of work just thinking about the approach besides just making new songs.

They should use the most recent releases - Blue and Lonesome and Crosseyed Heart - as blueprints for the production.
Seems only natural they would, but then again some strange curveballs (as has been mentioned) could take it to a different oddball territory.

Were they produced well? I'll take your word for it. I couldn't get past the lukewarm covers and the tuneless originals for long enough to tell.

Can't we have something produced like, oh, I don't know, Beggars Banquet?

Yes there was minimal production - in the case of Crosseyed Heart it was warm and sincere, while in the case of B&L it was almost live in the studio sounding as they supposedly only did one or two takes.
While the former was far superior because of the originals, the latter was underwhelming due to the average at best covers. Take the best of both of these - warm, sincere, and "live" - and they might come up with something worthy, but of course they need good songs to begin with which might be asking too much at this point.

If you're waiting for something like Beggars, that train left the station nearly 50 years ago on a one way trip...destination unknown.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: July 13, 2017 02:43

Hairball
LongBeachArena72
Hairball
frankotero
Yes, Steel Wheels monitor mixes was superior in music quality imo. Maybe The Stones are taking this into consideration with a new album? Must be a lot of work just thinking about the approach besides just making new songs.

They should use the most recent releases - Blue and Lonesome and Crosseyed Heart - as blueprints for the production.
Seems only natural they would, but then again some strange curveballs (as has been mentioned) could take it to a different oddball territory.

Were they produced well? I'll take your word for it. I couldn't get past the lukewarm covers and the tuneless originals for long enough to tell.

Yes there was minimal production - in the case of Crosseyed Heart it was warm and sincere, while in the case of B&L it was almost live in the studio sounding as they supposedly only did one or two takes.
While the former was far superior because of the originals, the latter was underwhelming due to the average at best covers. Take the best of both of these - warm, sincere, and "live" - and they might come up with something worthy, but of course they need good songs to begin with which might be asking too much at this point.

If you're waiting for something like Beggars, that train left the station nearly 50 years ago on a one way trip...destination unknown.

B&L was surprisingly good ( my exspectations of a blues cover album was low) - and CH was unfortunately as boring as Main defender and TIC quickly turned out to be. I sure hope they do not follow the CH path.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: July 13, 2017 05:12

"If you're waiting for something like Beggars, that train left the station nearly 50 years ago on a one way trip...destination unknown."

Well take me to the station, and put me on that train.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 13, 2017 09:53

GetYerAngie
Hairball
LongBeachArena72
Hairball
frankotero

B&L was surprisingly good ( my exspectations of a blues cover album was low) - and CH was unfortunately as boring as Main defender and TIC quickly turned out to be. I sure hope they do not follow the CH path.

Well, i surely hope they will do something like the albums Blue n Lonesome,Crosseyed Heart and Wandering Spirit. Maybe , maybe..

If they dont,.....well, i am very glad there will be a New Stones album.
Jeroen

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 13, 2017 11:29

Hairball

thumbs up

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 13, 2017 14:18

Hairball
LongBeachArena72
Hairball
frankotero

To be honest, I shouldn't even have commented here. I still to this day am not sure I can say exactly what production is. If a band decides they want a particular drum sound or a particular 'live' feel or a leaner instrumentation or a more ornate arrangement ... is all/any of that 'production' or is it 'writing songs that sound a certain way'? I have no idea and should have refrained.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 13, 2017 15:36

Hairball

Actually, that destination turned out to be LET IT BLEED and STICKY FINGERS, both of which had leftovers so good they went on EOMS.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2017 19:52

GasLightStreet
Hairball

Actually, that destination turned out to be LET IT BLEED and STICKY FINGERS, both of which had leftovers so good they went on EOMS.

Yes - it was just an off the cuff/tongue in cheek comment generalizing the situation 50 years after the fact.

Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 14, 2017 09:01

LongBeachArena72
treaclefingers
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
bv
1. The material should be significant

A great rule, indeed. One cannot help but wish they might've applied it to their last 6 or 7 records.

I doubt they set out to make poor records, they are probably too close to the music they create to know how it will be received until it is received , and even then it takes time. Exile had negative reviews, it took a few years for it to get the acclaim it deserved.
I actually thought the last 6 albums were pretty good as it happens, its just that folks on IORR are hard to please winking smiley

...and you're right...only horrible record they've ever really put out is dirty work. the last several have been 'pretty good' for the most part, but not classic.

Just for the record, I wasn't commenting on whether the records were poor or pretty good or horrible or not classic.

I was responding to bv's very specific--and fascinating, at least to me--use of the word 'significant.' Calling material "significant' is different from passing a snap judgment or offering a quick opinion. Significance connotes thought, importance, relevance, power. The Stones have not produced material meeting that standard for a very long time, in my opinion.

sweet neo con was significant...just not very good.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 14, 2017 10:56

treaclefingers
LongBeachArena72
treaclefingers
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
bv
1. The material should be significant

A great rule, indeed. One cannot help but wish they might've applied it to their last 6 or 7 records.

I doubt they set out to make poor records, they are probably too close to the music they create to know how it will be received until it is received , and even then it takes time. Exile had negative reviews, it took a few years for it to get the acclaim it deserved.
I actually thought the last 6 albums were pretty good as it happens, its just that folks on IORR are hard to please winking smiley

...and you're right...only horrible record they've ever really put out is dirty work. the last several have been 'pretty good' for the most part, but not classic.

Just for the record, I wasn't commenting on whether the records were poor or pretty good or horrible or not classic.

I was responding to bv's very specific--and fascinating, at least to me--use of the word 'significant.' Calling material "significant' is different from passing a snap judgment or offering a quick opinion. Significance connotes thought, importance, relevance, power. The Stones have not produced material meeting that standard for a very long time, in my opinion.

I personally love Sweet NeoCon

Rod

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 14, 2017 11:29

bitusa2012
treaclefingers

I personally love Sweet NeoCon

That's fine, we all have our particular taste. I personally like "One Hit".
The question of "significance" is - I think - whether the Stones still produce music that stands the test of time. In 200 years from now, what will people listen to?
"Yesterday" and "Hey Jude"? Yes. "Sitting On The Dock of the Bay"? Yes. "Respect", "Think", "Johnny B. Goode"? Yes.
And from the Stones: "Gimme Shelter", "Sympathy for the Devil", "Paint It Black", "Satisfaction"? I think yes.
"Sweet Neocon, "You Got Me Rocking", "Mixed Emotions" (just to name a few, and apart from whether you like them or not)? I think no.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: July 14, 2017 15:22

If you like Sweet Neo-Con you might like England Lost, it's about Brexit.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 14, 2017 16:31

Sweet Neo-Con is great. Just not the usual thing.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 14, 2017 17:38

I'm hoping they will be revitalized by Blue & Lonesome and will take that into the studio and release something special. I pray they don't try to do anythjng forced politically, like Highwire or Sweet Neo Con. Making a political statement for the sake of making one, just because you wrote Sympathy falls flat.

I'm not looking for Beggars, Let It Bleed or Exile again, but maybe a curve ball the likes of Some Girls (high hopes) or Tattoo You(yes I know it was a collection of outtakes). I think they still have one of those releases in them...I could be wrong.

I'd take anything on the same level as the Some Girls bonus disc.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-14 17:39 by rattler2004.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 14, 2017 19:17

chatoyancy

Musically, I love "Sweet Neo-Con." I'm fine with the subject matter. I thought the lyrics should have been stronger. As for "England Lost," I'll reserve final judgement but I do find it amusing a tax exile has such a strong opinion about England's choice to leave the EU.

Date: July 14, 2017 19:26

The info seems scattered across a few threads, but are we expecting a new original Stones-album, a Mick solo album, AND a live album? In the not too distant future?

Date: July 14, 2017 19:28

No Mick solo album per Soldatti's contact at Universal. Just a solo single. A live album this year (Whether the 1960s live album or NO FILTER live album or Best of The Live Albums is unclear). Stones studio album next year.

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 14, 2017 19:37

Rocky Dijon
chatoyancy

Musically, I love "Sweet Neo-Con." I'm fine with the subject matter. I thought the lyrics should have been stronger. As for "England Lost," I'll reserve final judgement but I do find it amusing a tax exile has such a strong opinion about England's choice to leave the EU.

How do you know it's about Brexit?...?

Date: July 14, 2017 19:52

Chatoyancy is legit. If she says so, it is. We'll all know next week anyway.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: July 14, 2017 21:34

The lyrics for England lost will go something like this.

Brexit how cum you taste so good, just like a great country should.
We are called Great Britain for a reason, so don't ty to reason.
The brexiteers will save this country, so the eu can wring out to dry.
We love Europe but not the eu, as to much power over country's is no good for you.
Chorus
How cum Brexit taste so good just like a young country should.
I said yeah yeah yeah whoah....

I think I've got the hang of this song writing, there's nothing to it ...

Posted by: heinz57 ()
Date: July 14, 2017 22:12

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-14 22:14 by heinz57.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 15, 2017 00:05

terry
The lyrics for England lost will go something like this.

Brexit how cum you taste so good, just like a great country should.
We are called Great Britain for a reason, so don't ty to reason.
The brexiteers will save this country, so the eu can wring out to dry.
We love Europe but not the eu, as to much power over country's is no good for you.
Chorus
How cum Brexit taste so good just like a young country should.
I said yeah yeah yeah whoah....

I think I've got the hang of this song writing, there's nothing to it ...

no need for a Stones' Brexit song – they already have one (as I mentioned about a year ago). It goes like this:

"Raise your glass to the hard working people
Let's drink to the uncounted heads
Let's think of the wavering millions
Who need leaders but get gamblers instead"

Date: July 15, 2017 00:53

Rocky Dijon
No Mick solo album per Soldatti's contact at Universal. Just a solo single. A live album this year (Whether the 1960s live album or NO FILTER live album or Best of The Live Albums is unclear). Stones studio album next year.

THe Fonda is another possible guess.
Jeroen

Date: July 15, 2017 02:13

Very true. I did forget that since that one has allegedly been cleared by the BBFC for release.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: July 15, 2017 04:06

Of course I could be wrong, he might have changed the Brexit references at the last minute to make the song about cricket...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 15, 2017 06:04

'Nobody cares about Brexit,
not unless we can text it.
Livin' it up 'til we're A.I.
nothin' to do but wait to die
upgrade yourself 'til we all high.'

(why does mine sound like a rap?)

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 15, 2017 11:41

Date: July 15, 2017 13:47

KRiffhard
[m.facebook.com]

Is this a recent activity or was it during recording CH?
Jeroen

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 15, 2017 23:12

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-15 23:13 by maumau.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 16, 2017 00:38

heinz57

There you are. So .. w/o spilling the beans ..

Is much of the new stuff experimental as was reported and how far along are they with the album?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1796
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home