Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768...LastNext
Current Page: 63 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 8, 2017 01:00

Hairball
roller99
I just returned from Ringo's Birthday at Capitol Records. Don Was was there, so of course I ignored Ringo to talk to him like any good Stones guy would. I asked him how the album was. "It sounds great, but it's not finished, you should hear it". My response was to hand him my card and ask him to invite me over for a listen. I'm gonna see if I can make this happen.

Glad he didn't say it was "uneven" and "lacks focus" like the Universal execs claimed, but since he's producing of course he's going to be positive.

Let us know how it works out roller - I hope it happens for you!

That is some dry-ass wit, dude--my hat's off to you!

Date: July 8, 2017 01:10

stonehearted
Okay, what happened to the title of this thread? I guess the question of whether there'll be a new album in 2017 has been answered -- No! It'll be next year.

But, really, who cares?

What the real question everyone wants answered is, will they do a UK tour in 2018 and then call it quits?

You know, Charlie Watts kind of leaked that in 2012. He was talking in interviews how it would be a great thing to finish it all up in London -- but little did we know then that they had plans to tour from 2012 to 2018, and then lately there's all this talk about a UK tour and finishing up in London.

Well, I say, let 'em!

I saw them in 2013 in my town, Boston -- with Mick Taylor and Bobby Keys on board!

And the more time that goes by, the more I realize that they'll never have the time nor desire -- nor Charlie, bless 'im -- to tour that far and wide again.

So let 'em wrap it up -- the sooner, the better.

Know why? Because who wants a sequel to Goddess in the Doorway?

I want them to start working with ABKCO and deliver the albums I really want, and that if you'll all be honest, too -- expanded deluxe issues of 12X5, Now!, Aftermath, etc.,...

Is everyone really waiting on the edge of their seats for a sequel to Bridges To Babylon and before that a duets live album? What will it prove?

We're here because of what they've done, not because what they hope they may do...

There, I've said it. Also, I want a remastered version of their 1960s BBC sessions, not a live comp intended to prove their relevant by today's stars duetting with them. Imagine if they'd put out such an album in the eighties -- that would have meant a live album with Bon Jovi, Madonna, Janet and Michael Jackson, Phil Collins, Whitney Houston, Paula Abdul -- can you imagine either of the latter two duetting on Gimme Shelter?

Any duets live album they may release is something you'll be ashamed to admit to having owned 10 or 15 years from now, when your children are laughing at you -- not at the Rolling Stones, but at the pathetic parade of 2010s singing stars who by then will have become so camp and cliched.

Is it morning yet? Well, I guess it is. It was still dark out when I started typing this. But, be forewarned.

More concerts, sure, for as long as they can. Do we need new songs? How about instead paying homage to those early albums instead? Deluxe, remastered, expanded editions... of what history has known them for, what we know them for, and what the world of tomorrow will know them for.

Thank you. Or, maybe, &$#@ you. You decide.

A music video of "Gimme Shelter" back in the 80's with Mick and Keith and Paula Abdul and that cartoon cat ... well, that's desert island material right there!

Also, I don't mind that the thread's title has changed; it would be very Stones-y if the band's last laugh on its most devoted fans was that they teased it out long enough for the thread to morph into "Another Stones studio album in 2022."

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 8, 2017 03:02

roller99
I just returned from Ringo's Birthday at Capitol Records. Don Was was there, so of course I ignored Ringo to talk to him like any good Stones guy would. I asked him how the album was. "It sounds great, but it's not finished, you should hear it". My response was to hand him my card and ask him to invite me over for a listen. I'm gonna see if I can make this happen.

Awesome Job! .. Props for tryin to get a little word on it. Well guess what.. I'd say that is pretty official .. It's not done .. nor does it look to be almost done by the gist of that? (or is it? ..hmmmm?)

I know Don Was can't tell ya much .. and I know it would be improper to ask too much but when he said to you ...'You should hear it' .. did he mean that in a way as in meaning .. 'it's really good = you should hear it!". ?

Also any idea how far along they are with it and what the material is like? Or was what you said in your original comment the whole of your conversation with him?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-08 03:05 by IanBillen.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 8, 2017 05:10

roller99

One of these cats you?? Thanks for the update. ; )

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: July 8, 2017 05:23

MisterDDDD
roller99

One of these cats you?? Thanks for the update. ; )

No, those are Ringo, Don Was, Richard Lewis, etc....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-08 05:25 by roller99.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: July 8, 2017 05:24

Sorry, been trying for like an hour to follow "how to post from google drive"....

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-08 05:56 by roller99.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 8, 2017 06:12

Don looks more Amish than Jewish there.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: July 8, 2017 06:22

I remember seeing him in Longchamps and thought he was the singer from Counting Crows!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 8, 2017 07:51

Sorry to go off topic here, but in that photo above Ringo looks absolutely fantastic at 77! He could easily pass for 47. Just remarkable!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 8, 2017 08:24

roller99

Thanks Roller!!

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: July 8, 2017 14:54

stonehearted
Sorry to go off topic here, but in that photo above Ringo looks absolutely fantastic at 77! He could easily pass for 47. Just remarkable!

But him and Don Was look like they wear fake nose and glasses.smoking smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 8, 2017 18:18

Glad to see Don Was likes to dress up for a party...

Posted by: bam ()
Date: July 8, 2017 18:27

That's Peter Asher in the right front of the photo.

Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 8, 2017 18:40

Hairball
I bought Exile several years after it was released, and regarded it as a masterpiece right off the bat. But considering the lackluster Black and Blue was their new album at the time, Exile was like a Holy Grail sent from the heavens above. What a difference a few years had made...no more Taylor, the deterioration and rot had taken over, but I still really liked Hand of Fate, Hot Stuff, and Crazy Mama. To this day, Exile is my desert island #1, but always dabble in Beggars, LIB, Fingers, along with loads of Brian era classics. Some Girls and Tattoo You get some attention (as do Goat and IORR), but not much when compared to the classic albums of the distant past.

Might be asking for a miracle, but hoping the new album will give me goosebumps! smiling smiley

Beggars is a Brian era classic. grinning smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 8, 2017 18:41

peoplewitheyes
Glad to see Don Was likes to dress up for a party...

grinning smiley

Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 8, 2017 19:33

His Majesty
Hairball
I bought Exile several years after it was released, and regarded it as a masterpiece right off the bat. But considering the lackluster Black and Blue was their new album at the time, Exile was like a Holy Grail sent from the heavens above. What a difference a few years had made...no more Taylor, the deterioration and rot had taken over, but I still really liked Hand of Fate, Hot Stuff, and Crazy Mama. To this day, Exile is my desert island #1, but always dabble in Beggars, LIB, Fingers, along with loads of Brian era classics. Some Girls and Tattoo You get some attention (as do Goat and IORR), but not much when compared to the classic albums of the distant past.

Might be asking for a miracle, but hoping the new album will give me goosebumps! smiling smiley

Beggars is a Brian era classic. grinning smiley

Well true enough, no matter how limited his input was...but was it really that limited? His slide guitar alone on No Expectations is a highlight on Beggars, and the entire song itself is an integral part of the album as a whole.
You can hear his melancholy slide gently rattle against the frets - it's like a metaphor of Brian rattling against Mick and Keith...lots of tension, yet deep down it's all in harmony. smiling smiley

On the other hand, he was definitely on his way out...both out of his mind and out of the band.
Here's a quote I found from Jimmy Miller:

"When he (Brian) would show up at a session—let's say he had just bought a sitar that day, he'd feel like playing it, so he'd look in his calendar to see if the Stones were in. Now he may have missed the previous four sessions. We'd be doing let's say, a blues thing. He'd walk in with a sitar, which was totally irrelevant to what we were doing, and want to play it. I used to try to accommodate him. I would isolate him, put him in a booth and not record him onto any track that we really needed. And the others, particularly Mick and Keith, would often say to me, 'Just tell him to piss off and get the hell out of here'".

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 9, 2017 02:26

roller99

Sorry, been trying for like an hour to follow "how to post from google drive"....

Thanks for your information and effort Roller99.

What song(s) was played with Don Was on bass? thumbs up

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 9, 2017 04:26

Video - Was, Jim Keltner, Jenny Lewis, Michael Bearden and an accordion player who's heard but mostly obscured.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: July 9, 2017 11:26

Now new album in 2016 - saying it comes 2017.
Now new album in 2017 - saying it comes 2018.
...and counting hot smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 9, 2017 11:51

micawber

...in the meantime you can listen to Gotta Get a Grip'/England Lost!!

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: July 9, 2017 12:40

God save the Queen...sad smileyeye rolling smileyeye popping smiley

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 9, 2017 15:00

micawber
Best PR in the business

Date: July 9, 2017 22:55

Anybody got the new Stones yet? Is it any good?

Date: July 9, 2017 22:58

LongBeachArena72

It's still 2017 here..

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 10, 2017 00:11

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72

It's still 2017 here..

Shit, and my time machine is in repair now. The "future mode" is not working properly.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: July 10, 2017 01:51

haha

hahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 10, 2017 15:00

retired_dog
Shit, and my time machine is in repair now. The "future mode" is not working properly.

Too bad, man! I was too curious to learn about our speculations once this thread will be called "Another Stones studio album in 2025"! grinning smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 10, 2017 17:26

doitywoik
retired_dog

Too bad, man! I was too curious to learn about our speculations once this thread will be called "Another Stones studio album in 2025"! grinning smiley

smiling smiley LOL smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 11, 2017 01:53

For the betting men and women on the board: shouldn't we establish an over/under on this monstrosity's release date? Say, June 1st, 2018? I'll take the over.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 11, 2017 02:22

LongBeachArena72
For the betting men and women on the board: shouldn't we establish an over/under on this monstrosity's release date? Say, June 1st, 2018? I'll take the over.

Careful dude, what if retired_dog gets his time machine repaired ... in time winking smiley ?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768...LastNext
Current Page: 63 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1242
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home