Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 704
Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 7, 2017 01:52

Maybe it will be a compilation of live tracks from all previous live albums....it could be very weird or very interesting to have an album combining songs from all eras...e.g. 1969 version of Midnight Rambler followed by a 1981 Balck Limousine followed by a 1995 Gimme Shelter etc..... it could be very interesting...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 7, 2017 02:41

Looks like it might finally be the official release of The BBC Sessions. There's another thread on it and it's starting to get some attention. Like the From the Vaults issue of "The Stones in the Park" it carries the otherwise anachronistic lapping tongue logo so this an officially sanctioned release from Universal, Promotone, ABKCO, and the BBC. If this is correct, as pointed out on the thread itself, this is what was leaked by the Sympathy For the Devils group back in April. It might also be remembered they were saying the new album was on the backburner.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 7, 2017 03:44

I can't think of anything much more boring than a live tracks compilation post Wyman.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 7, 2017 04:00

24FPS
I can't think of anything much more boring than a live tracks compilation post Wyman.

Refreshing.
We could play dip for diamonds and come up w some sparkle; some post-production power if you know what I mean. Some good performances by the professionals along the way; some inspired and inspiring stuff too; I mean I'm gonna listen and all that, I guess; depending on what it is and how it's presented; but in the long run I'd have to just say that your post was refreshing; I don't want to be unkind and talk of perhaps some casual striking, so to speak, or of beating, so to speak, on a deseased equine, or horse more specifically. Maybe they'll start overdubbing, or editing, some of the bass parts too, if only to make it more 'authentic.'
I'm not really this cynical though. yes I sorta am sometimes. I still think we're getting something original and new very soon this year; and not the very end of the either.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 7, 2017 04:02

Rocky Dijon
Looks like it might finally be the official release of The BBC Sessions. There's another thread on it and it's starting to get some attention. Like the From the Vaults issue of "The Stones in the Park" it carries the otherwise anachronistic lapping tongue logo so this an officially sanctioned release from Universal, Promotone, ABKCO, and the BBC. If this is correct, as pointed out on the thread itself, this is what was leaked by the Sympathy For the Devils group back in April. It might also be remembered they were saying the new album was on the backburner.

This would make sense as a "live comp", but wasn't it said by someone somewhere that it would be made up of previously released live versions of songs ?
Could have been all part of the speculation, but as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) only four of the BBC tracks have haven been officially released on GRRRRRR!

Even though I have a lot of the BBC stuff on bootlegs, I hope it happens.

Date: July 7, 2017 04:04

It was speculation and it was me who did it. I based it on the scrapped live compilation that was discussed for the 40th anniversary.

Date: July 7, 2017 04:15

Yeah that must have been where I read it then. thumbs up

Tried finding a BBC thread here, but looked elsewhere and found a five or six page thread on the Steve Hoffman Forum from last year which I briefly skimmed through.
Some were pondering about why most of it hasn't been released, and couple of people had quoted Mick as saying he wasn't interested in releasing any of it.

Will have to look further to try and find out what Mick's reasoning is (or was) in regards to vetoing the idea.

Date: July 7, 2017 04:17

Yeah, I remember Jody Klein telling ICE in 1996 when ROCK 'N' ROLL CIRCUS showed up that THE BBC SESSIONS were next. Well, what's two decades to the Stones?

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 7, 2017 05:22

Here's hoping the live comp is of guest appearances by Tom Waits, Brad Paisley, Black Keys, Springsteen, etc. That project was talked about a few years ago, then seemingly abandoned.

Date: July 7, 2017 07:10

24FPS

The BBC sessions are with Bill smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 7, 2017 07:19

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

But could they really call that 'live compilation'? Would be more something like 'archive release' or something?

Anyway, it is not clear what a hec 'live compilation' actually means...

- Doxa

Date: July 7, 2017 07:47

Rocky Dijon
Yeah, I remember Jody Klein telling ICE in 1996 when ROCK 'N' ROLL CIRCUS showed up that THE BBC SESSIONS were next. Well, what's two decades to the Stones?

I recall reading (shit it looks like my every post starts with that phrase...) that they weren't too impressed how little impact releasing finally this supposed old treasure made... It sold next to nothing. It would take some years to get Mick - and who generally is not too known for his nostalgia sympathy - to be interested in 'archive releases' again. Add there that it seemingly took some yaers to convince Jagger to release it... "No money in it, darling.." I can easily understand the reasoning there. If a legendaric complete, well-executed TV show, having not just The Stones but even John Lennon unseen before there, do not excite people, how would some random, awfully recorded BBC tapes do that to them... .. I guess the Klein people would relaese anything for any penny - especially still at the time - but they had the Jagger people standing in their way...

Anyway, Jagger has - fortunately - changed his stance during the last couple of years. Probably the bucks are not impressive yet either, but good enough... (especially when the archive relaeses are a part of a bigger package of the current Stones activities, fitting there nicely).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-07 07:49 by Doxa.

Date: July 7, 2017 08:44

But now the music is already released on an independent label, so if they the complete tapes, this could be the moment (together with the book and the dvd).

A lot of stuff is rather well recorded, though. Check it out on Spotify if you don't have already.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 7, 2017 08:44

Well I do listen to the BBC recordings; I think it's '64 and a second taping too; I think '65 but the deeper fans will know for sure. I'm a little lazy about looking it up right now because i just got home from some great music and i'm a little partied out. I often go there when I need a solid hit of Bill frankly. When I want to party down to the original big beat that they were producing, with that boogie element right out front. Before they were even writing much; if at all I think. The Rt. 66 (which I fell in love with off their first album) live version that they kick off one of the sets with, has extraordinary Bill & Charlie showcase; at least the way I listen to it. There might be two versions of that. Sometimes it's surprising how good and discernible the driving bass is; sometimes not so much. I mean it's nothing too much for me to get me panties in the knot about; because I've been listening to it for years...but it's revelatory stuff, and important stuff to me; tho I do not go there very frequently. It's hard for me to argue with pretty much anything they put out archivally, because I like the band; I just like their sound and presence in my field of presence...
...but the nature of this is even more amorphous then their original LP output schedule...cuz a dozen years since the last one, and it's hide the turkey with b&l and these new tracks until everything is already scheduled to go promotionally in layers and etc...
...we really don't know too much wattup; it needn't be such the mystery; we're gonna find out everything anyway...or make up shit to suit ourselves and argue about it haha...love the Stones. nice if they made an album every decade or so; just sayin;....heh heh they probs almost just about due...i think.

Rolling Stones BBC Sessions 63-65 Remastered
[www.youtube.com]

pretty wonderful I'd say
!!!!!

(see what i mean about Bill? You've got to stay w Rt. 66, the first track, and he'll open it right up. Usually I'll listen to that once or twice...and it's like taking a shot of something curative or something.)
Listening to You Better Move on as I type this, and it's sorta heavenly great, at least that's what it does to me...

"The Rolling Stones
Live at the BBC - Sessions 1963-1965
Remastered in Adobe Audition CS6
The original audio was very muddy and lacking any luster. I have filtered, EQ'd and compressed the audio to give a better balance between instruments,
and improve the clarity of the vocals of Mick Jagger and Keith Richard's guitar which were sadly muffled and lacking in detail.
WE DO NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO ANY MUSIC CONTAINED THEREIN. NO RIGHTS ARE IMPLIED, IVEN OR CLAIMED.
"This video is fair use under U.S. copyright law because it is noncommercial and transformative in nature,
and has no negative effect on the market for the original work."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-07 09:03 by hopkins.

Date: July 7, 2017 09:25

DandelionPowderman
But now the music is already released on an independent label, so if they the complete tapes, this could be the moment (together with the book and the dvd).

A lot of stuff is rather well recorded, though. Check it out on Spotify if you don't have already.

Yeah, it is surely well-recorded to justify a release, and contains some of my favourite things the Stones ever have done... But I have a long time ago accepted that my nerdish preferences do not correlate with the reasonings of the big shots there haha...

Unfortunately being such an old fart, I don't have an access to Spotify, so I don't know how the new releases are. Are they much different than the earlier bootlegs (like the one hopkins linked to youtube)?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-07 09:27 by Doxa.

Date: July 7, 2017 09:30

I thought they sounded good, but they probably have just tweaked it a little in the mastering process.

Date: July 7, 2017 10:09

DandelionPowderman
I thought they sounded good, but they probably have just tweaked it a little in the mastering process.

Okay, thanks. I'll stick to my old bootlegs and wait the official relaese to come...

- Doxa

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 7, 2017 10:47

Okay, what happened to the title of this thread? I guess the question of whether there'll be a new album in 2017 has been answered -- No! It'll be next year.

But, really, who cares?

What the real question everyone wants answered is, will they do a UK tour in 2018 and then call it quits?

You know, Charlie Watts kind of leaked that in 2012. He was talking in interviews how it would be a great thing to finish it all up in London -- but little did we know then that they had plans to tour from 2012 to 2018, and then lately there's all this talk about a UK tour and finishing up in London.

Well, I say, let 'em!

I saw them in 2013 in my town, Boston -- with Mick Taylor and Bobby Keys on board!

And the more time that goes by, the more I realize that they'll never have the time nor desire -- nor Charlie, bless 'im -- to tour that far and wide again.

So let 'em wrap it up -- the sooner, the better.

Know why? Because who wants a sequel to Goddess in the Doorway?

I want them to start working with ABKCO and deliver the albums I really want, and that if you'll all be honest, too -- expanded deluxe issues of 12X5, Now!, Aftermath, etc.,...

Is everyone really waiting on the edge of their seats for a sequel to Bridges To Babylon and before that a duets live album? What will it prove?

We're here because of what they've done, not because what they hope they may do...

There, I've said it. Also, I want a remastered version of their 1960s BBC sessions, not a live comp intended to prove their relevant by today's stars duetting with them. Imagine if they'd put out such an album in the eighties -- that would have meant a live album with Bon Jovi, Madonna, Janet and Michael Jackson, Phil Collins, Whitney Houston, Paula Abdul -- can you imagine either of the latter two duetting on Gimme Shelter?

Any duets live album they may release is something you'll be ashamed to admit to having owned 10 or 15 years from now, when your children are laughing at you -- not at the Rolling Stones, but at the pathetic parade of 2010s singing stars who by then will have become so camp and cliched.

Is it morning yet? Well, I guess it is. It was still dark out when I started typing this. But, be forewarned.

More concerts, sure, for as long as they can. Do we need new songs? How about instead paying homage to those early albums instead? Deluxe, remastered, expanded editions... of what history has known them for, what we know them for, and what the world of tomorrow will know them for.

Thank you. Or, maybe, &$#@ you. You decide.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 7, 2017 12:58

Maybe it will be a compilation of live tracks from all previous live albums....it could be very weird or very interesting to have an album combining songs from all eras...e.g. 1969 version of Midnight Rambler followed by a 1981 Balck Limousine followed by a 1995 Gimme Shelter etc..... it could be very interesting...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 7, 2017 13:33

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 7, 2017 20:17

DandelionPowderman
24FPS

They just have to Photoshop the cover pic : remove Brian and Bill and replace them with... Don Was and Chuck? grinning smiley

A loud mastering on top of this and voila! the next album!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-07 20:18 by dcba.

Date: July 7, 2017 20:23

stonehearted
Okay, what happened to the title of this thread? I guess the question of whether there'll be a new album in 2017 has been answered -- No! It'll be next year.

But, really, who cares?

What the real question everyone wants answered is, will they do a UK tour in 2018 and then call it quits?

You know, Charlie Watts kind of leaked that in 2012. He was talking in interviews how it would be a great thing to finish it all up in London -- but little did we know then that they had plans to tour from 2012 to 2018, and then lately there's all this talk about a UK tour and finishing up in London.

Well, I say, let 'em!

I saw them in 2013 in my town, Boston -- with Mick Taylor and Bobby Keys on board!

And the more time that goes by, the more I realize that they'll never have the time nor desire -- nor Charlie, bless 'im -- to tour that far and wide again.

So let 'em wrap it up -- the sooner, the better.

Know why? Because who wants a sequel to Goddess in the Doorway?

I want them to start working with ABKCO and deliver the albums I really want, and that if you'll all be honest, too -- expanded deluxe issues of 12X5, Now!, Aftermath, etc.,...

Is everyone really waiting on the edge of their seats for a sequel to Bridges To Babylon and before that a duets live album? What will it prove?

We're here because of what they've done, not because what they hope they may do...

There, I've said it. Also, I want a remastered version of their 1960s BBC sessions, not a live comp intended to prove their relevant by today's stars duetting with them. Imagine if they'd put out such an album in the eighties -- that would have meant a live album with Bon Jovi, Madonna, Janet and Michael Jackson, Phil Collins, Whitney Houston, Paula Abdul -- can you imagine either of the latter two duetting on Gimme Shelter?

Any duets live album they may release is something you'll be ashamed to admit to having owned 10 or 15 years from now, when your children are laughing at you -- not at the Rolling Stones, but at the pathetic parade of 2010s singing stars who by then will have become so camp and cliched.

Is it morning yet? Well, I guess it is. It was still dark out when I started typing this. But, be forewarned.

More concerts, sure, for as long as they can. Do we need new songs? How about instead paying homage to those early albums instead? Deluxe, remastered, expanded editions... of what history has known them for, what we know them for, and what the world of tomorrow will know them for.

Thank you. Or, maybe, &$#@ you. You decide.

I almost want to shout out AMEN and HALLELUJAH, but instead I'll just say nice post. thumbs up smiling smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 7, 2017 23:58

Well, I want new songs. They have been COOKING for 5 years, Keith produced new music, Charlie.
Truly, all releases whether it's been Sticky Fingers Deluxe with out-takes and Leeds and Roundhouse to Audio Fonda, OLE OLE OLE, the Cuba CD is a blast yes, it's the same songs and show, but great fun with Cuba people underneath.
1982 Concert, the Totally Stripped, Vault, Blue & Lonesome
all @#$%& good.

Now, it would not surprise me if a new RS studio album (or enough done to be close)
was finished, agreed upon complete,
and they are holding it until 1 of them passes/ something Signifying the bands done,
it would then be received very different than a release now. I mean, what release now could possibly makes us all happy? I think it's us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-08 00:22 by 35love.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: July 8, 2017 00:04

I just returned from Ringo's Birthday at Capitol Records. Don Was was there, so of course I ignored Ringo to talk to him like any good Stones guy would. I asked him how the album was. "It sounds great, but it's not finished, you should hear it". My response was to hand him my card and ask him to invite me over for a listen. I'm gonna see if I can make this happen.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: July 8, 2017 00:23

Hairball
Tried finding a BBC thread here, but looked elsewhere and found a five or six page thread on the Steve Hoffman Forum from last year which I briefly skimmed through,

[iorr.org]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 8, 2017 00:23

roller99
I just returned from Ringo's Birthday at Capitol Records. Don Was was there, so of course I ignored Ringo to talk to him like any good Stones guy would. I asked him how the album was. "It sounds great, but it's not finished, you should hear it". My response was to hand him my card and ask him to invite me over for a listen. I'm gonna see if I can make this happen.

yaaas you're the man please do smiling smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 8, 2017 00:25

35love
roller99

yaaas you're the man please do smiling smiley

Good luck and thanks for the news! thumbs up

Date: July 8, 2017 00:26

Ricky
Hairball
Tried finding a BBC thread here, but looked elsewhere and found a five or six page thread on the Steve Hoffman Forum from last year which I briefly skimmed through,

[iorr.org]

Yes thanks, found it and posted there last night. thumbs up

Date: July 8, 2017 00:31

roller99

Glad he didn't say it was "uneven" and "lacks focus" like the Universal execs claimed, but since he's producing of course he's going to be positive.

Let us know how it works out roller - I hope it happens for you!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 8, 2017 00:55

roller99

Thanks for the info, roller99.

Peace and love, peace and love.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5758596061626364656667...LastNext
Current Page: 62 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1290
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home