Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566...LastNext
Current Page: 61 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 6, 2017 02:37

Exiles was a big hit right off the bat. Just saying...

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 6, 2017 02:41

hopkins
Exiles was a big hit right off the bat. Just saying...

Critically it had mixed reviews, or so i'm told, it was before my time.
Personally it took me a while to get into it. I'd say now that its their best album by a long shot, i love it.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 6, 2017 02:56

stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
bv
1. The material should be significant

A great rule, indeed. One cannot help but wish they might've applied it to their last 6 or 7 records.

I doubt they set out to make poor records, they are probably too close to the music they create to know how it will be received until it is received , and even then it takes time. Exile had negative reviews, it took a few years for it to get the acclaim it deserved.
I actually thought the last 6 albums were pretty good as it happens, its just that folks on IORR are hard to please winking smiley

Of course they tried to make good records--why would they bother otherwise?

Regarding the quality of those efforts: I take my cue from the band. Since they ignore those records in their live sets, I feel free to ignore them, too!

But perhaps you're right; perhaps the critical tide will turn and a consensus will emerge ... one in which Bridges to Babylon eclipses Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street!

Date: July 6, 2017 03:02

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
bv

A great rule, indeed. One cannot help but wish they might've applied it to their last 6 or 7 records.

I doubt they set out to make poor records, they are probably too close to the music they create to know how it will be received until it is received , and even then it takes time. Exile had negative reviews, it took a few years for it to get the acclaim it deserved.
I actually thought the last 6 albums were pretty good as it happens, its just that folks on IORR are hard to please winking smiley

Of course they tried to make good records--why would they bother otherwise?

Regarding the quality of those efforts: I take my cue from the band. Since they ignore those records in their live sets, I feel free to ignore them, too!

But perhaps you're right; perhaps the critical tide will turn and a consensus will emerge ... one in which Bridges to Babylon eclipses Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street!

No i wouldn't go that far but Voodoo Lounge was a fine album. Its production let it down imho.
They did play 3 or 4 songs from VL during the 94' 95' tour and they went down well with the crowd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 03:04 by stone4ever.

Posted by: wambambirmingham ()
Date: July 6, 2017 03:42

Actually EOMS was not very critically acclaimed at release. Very mixed reviews. See Rolling Stone review-[www.google.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 6, 2017 04:14

I bought Exile several years after it was released, and regarded it as a masterpiece right off the bat. But considering the lackluster Black and Blue was their new album at the time, Exile was like a Holy Grail sent from the heavens above. What a difference a few years had made...no more Taylor, the deterioration and rot had taken over, but I still really liked Hand of Fate, Hot Stuff, and Crazy Mama. To this day, Exile is my desert island #1, but always dabble in Beggars, LIB, Fingers, along with loads of Brian era classics. Some Girls and Tattoo You get some attention (as do Goat and IORR), but not much when compared to the classic albums of the distant past.

Might be asking for a miracle, but hoping the new album will give me goosebumps! smiling smiley

Date: July 6, 2017 04:48

Nope; It was a hit right off the bat. Lenny Kaye (Patti Smith's band) wrote the Rolling Stone review, which was a bit bipolar in that it raved about Charlies center-piece snare and propulsion and also Mick's voice, even tho it was mixed further down...yet he also slammed it with thudding and confused lack of perspective he later apologized for and changed his comments regarding eoms.

Also, who cares? The fans were leading the critics in the burgeoning, now established rock press still; the sales were great from the git-go, as was the fan reception and radio promotion; it was everywhere; everyone was excited; I had to go thru Hell winning a lottery to get a chance to even buy blind-tickets and end up with something/anything/anwhere/any night/hell even the matinee...

...sold out times a million over, considering the MASSES who couldn't get their foot in the door...it was more than a success; it was hysterical Brown Sugar/Ya Yas level or higher actually. It was a culmination and the buying/listening culture was a part of; like or not; Christgau named it his favorite of the year, so at least, like him or not, and I do and don't; but at least he's a writer, not a guy in a rock limp rock band, compared to the Stones not even limping anywhere in consideration or competition...working out his whatever. the important thing is he got in straight in time.
I'm not going to attempt to negate youre sensitive comments, fellow posters, because I'm sure there is an element there that made a lot of new fans and some old ones perhaps, a little less likely to be so obviously into it; that's been documented too; and a lot of good fans needed to reorient themselves just a bit w time to accept it on the 'proscenium' it was being offered on. You know?
Sort of the way we suspend disbelief and a degree of expecation at a film in a theatre...to let the art come from where it is coming from and give oneself the chance to maybe hear something fresh, offered in a slightly different way from expected-upon pop hit release production. The production is part of the genius. It's what, imo, allowed this thing to be original AND commerical.

But I can see stones4ever point, and a lot of folks DO feel that way in their own experiences, and I have to, and do, respect that...but also to add some color to the coin; there were an awful lot of fans, I was I guess what you'd now call a 'true fan' or something like that. I was all about rock and roll as a kid, and a big part of me now too I guess, and this was a very majorly exciting thing. These guys had NEVER let me down. Ever. Ever. They kept getting more intense, more indiviualized amongst the rest of them; more assured and more sassy; the very thing we are so excited about now, well, it was happening then; it really was. It was a big deal back then too. It was a HUGE deal to a lot of folks in and out of the business; casual and deep fans...like original kid fans that were just crazy for them. High School kids or guys like me, waay into post college stuff but still 20, turning 21 just before Mick turned 29. I was with him that night! Boy some of those guys were whipping pies and pieces of cake at him almost as if there was some gleeful pent-up anger behind it. it was a laugh riot seriously. haha. Bill all stepping even futher away and back...not even cracking a smile....like 'oh here they go again whens quitting time and where's that groupie...'

I sometimes can't see, or need help in seeing, how someone would dig HTW and BS and not get off on Rocks Off or Rip This Joint; the album paid for itself before you were half way thru one of the four sides imo; and in the opionion of many who put this double album into platinum pretty damn quick.
I do not think I'm all that different, if much different at all; from the teens and earliest 20's kids who bought that the DAY it hit the stores...the DAY it hit the stores. Did I mention that, even then; a communications Sahara comparatively, that a huge, huge number, a substantial number, of dedicated, and some pretty new fans, bought it the DAY it hit the stores? cuz they did, Saw 'em do it. Did it myself. Sold 'em right out matter of fact.

this could be one of those slightly, sometimes leaning toward a bit the revisionist history, if only for it's popularity and success actually, and the various ways people encountered and processed it,
then...and in time with it, after repeated exposures; knowing there was enough there to entice them further into it.
?
Original release
Chart Position
Canadian RPM Albums Chart[59] 1
Dutch Albums Chart[60] 1
Norwegian Albums Chart[63] 1
Spanish Albums Chart[64] 1
UK Albums Chart[66] 1
US Billboard 200[67] 1
Australian Kent Music Report[58] 2 thumbs up(Rockman inda house)
Swedish Kvällstoppen Chart[65] 2
West German Media Control Albums Chart[68] 2
Italian Albums Chart[61] 4
Japanese Albums Chart[62] 7

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 05:17 by hopkins.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 6, 2017 06:13

As amazing as EOMS was (it was the first record I'd bought the day it came out) and as incredible as the 72 tour was (my first live experience of The Stones), it was also, at least in my neck of the woods, at my high school, the beginning of the long slow decline for the band. They were supplanted that spring and summer by Led Zeppelin, who for most 16- and 17-year-olds I knew, were the biggest band in the world.

Exile was of course the ultimate 'deep cuts' album and it rewarded hundreds of stoned headphone sessions with new revelations at nearly every listen. But it yielded nothing as culturally relevant or as musically pervasive as their earlier hits. A year before, you heard "Brown Sugar" everywhere; "Tumbling Dice," while a great track, just did not have that level of instant identifiability. You had to work to truly "get" Exile, and those of us who did at the time wore it as a badge of honor.

Date: July 6, 2017 07:28

I dunno. I cut my teeth on Little Richard. Pretty much literally. I heard RTJ one cut in and that was it. They climbed to the top, chopped up more than anybody could chew, spit it out and kept on rocking. It was all the way there. First time through. Then immediately again, are you kidding? I didn't have one doubt. I still don't.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 6, 2017 07:54

LongBeachArena72
As amazing as EOMS was (it was the first record I'd bought the day it came out) and as incredible as the 72 tour was (my first live experience of The Stones), it was also, at least in my neck of the woods, at my high school, the beginning of the long slow decline for the band. They were supplanted that spring and summer by Led Zeppelin, who for most 16- and 17-year-olds I knew, were the biggest band in the world.

Exile was of course the ultimate 'deep cuts' album and it rewarded hundreds of stoned headphone sessions with new revelations at nearly every listen. But it yielded nothing as culturally relevant or as musically pervasive as their earlier hits. A year before, you heard "Brown Sugar" everywhere; "Tumbling Dice," while a great track, just did not have that level of instant identifiability. You had to work to truly "get" Exile, and those of us who did at the time wore it as a badge of honor.

Between 1972 and 1978 Led Zeppelin were by far the biggest band according to everyone in my area. Punk came in and kind of wiped the slate clean, but I was still a fan of the dinosaurs and the new guard. While I saw the Clash at the Santa Monica Civic in '79, I was also holding my breath for the new Zeppelin release. It wasn't the best album by a long shot, then Bonham died...and that was the end of that. The Stones were always simmering almost in the background throughout the '70's - except Some Girls which was HUGE in the summer of '78. But it was probably not until 1981 (Tattoo You and first time I saw them) that I became somewhat obsessed with learning everything I could about them. It was all downhill from there...ha...except for some great experiences of seeing them live. When all is said and done though, the Beatles will always reign supreme for me.

But back on topic, will the new Stones album push them over the top and take them to the number one spot on my all time list of greatest bands?

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 07:56 by Hairball.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 6, 2017 10:35

wambambirmingham
Actually EOMS was not very critically acclaimed at release. Very mixed reviews. See Rolling Stone review-[www.google.com]

The press have form when it comes to belated recognition of a masterpiece. They were exactly the same with Bowie's Low. Which I loved from the first hearing just as I did Exile.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 6, 2017 12:38

stone4ever
LongBeachArena72
bv

But the consultations with Universal people seems different this time. First B&L and now the new album. Mick had to be convinced B&L was sellable and they now are involved with the next release. I have a feeling Keith is happy because they are thinking like Keith on some matters of musical taste.

Rolling Stones set to pocket £2m from new album
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 6, 2017 05:49

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Jumpin' Jack cash! Rolling Stones set to pocket £2m from new album

Rolling Stones' new album is set to make the band a whopping £2million

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, both 73, have been recording in London

Band to bring out new album next year to coincide with end of European tour

Yesterday a music insider said: ‘Both Mick and Keith would rather be carried off stage in a coffin than
give up their great love – writing and making music. The band are pictured in April last year.

It's only rock ’n roll – but a new Rolling Stones studio album is set to make the band a whopping £2million.

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, both 73, have been in recording studios in London and New York recently, and label Universal has renewed their contract for a new album.

Along with Ronnie Wood, 70, and Charlie Watts, 76, they will release a live compilation album around Christmas.

Then next year the band will bring out a new studio record to coincide with the end of their forthcoming European tour.

Yesterday a music insider said: ‘Both Mick and Keith would rather be carried off stage in a coffin than give up their great love – writing and making music.

‘They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year, and everything just gelled. They ended up with around 15 tracks which they have cut down to album-length, and when the label execs heard it they were thrilled.

‘Age is no barrier to brilliant music, and there is no doubt the new stuff will sell.’ Richards was spotted in the studio in Manhattan on Thursday tinkering with the latest sound, while Jagger had been spotted making music a few weeks earlier.

The Stones’ last album Blue & Lonesome – their first studio record for more than a decade – went straight to number one on its release in December last year. And their latest tour, which begins in Hamburg in September, sold out in minutes.

Earlier this week Sir Paul McCartney seemed to take a dig at the Stones, suggesting audiences were not interested in new material.The former Beatle said fans only wanted to hear ‘Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Woman – don’t just do the new stuff’.

Re: Rolling Stones set to pocket £2m from new album
Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: July 6, 2017 07:46

A new album early next year sounds great to me! I wonder what the live compilation might be.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 6, 2017 09:15

Yes Bring It On I Say

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 6, 2017 09:34

Blah-blah-blah. The article sounds like copy-paste from old one.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 6, 2017 11:52

Tabloid drivel...

...cobbled together as usual from half truths, rumour & guesswork winking smiley

Maybe it's true, maybe it's not...but the press aren't bothered.
It's just a bit of titilating copy to fill a column for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 12:28 by Spud.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 6, 2017 13:08

ironbelly
Blah-blah-blah. The article sounds like copy-paste from old one.

And ends this year too............Daily mail....eye rolling smileyconfused smileyeye rolling smileyconfused smileyeye rolling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-06 14:35 by EddieByword.

Date: July 6, 2017 13:34

There is more about this article in the new album-thread, with discussions, theories etc.

Date: July 6, 2017 14:12

Like 2 milion would be the incentive for them to make a new album. They could do half a show and earn the same money.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: July 6, 2017 14:35

£2m for a new album, that's pocket money for the stones.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 6, 2017 17:29

They record a new album which won't really bring them money. Why? Means they're not just a bizarre Hot Rocks band?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 6, 2017 19:37

ChrisMahavishnu
A new album early next year sounds great to me! I wonder what the live compilation might be.

I imaging some 'cherry picked' tracks from the last several tours.

I was shocked that "Honky Tonk" from the "Shine a Light" concerts did not appear on the album or video. It was the best version of the song since 1969!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 6, 2017 19:44

exilestones
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Jumpin' Jack cash! Rolling Stones set to pocket £2m from new album

Rolling Stones' new album is set to make the band a whopping £2million

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, both 73, have been recording in London

Band to bring out new album next year to coincide with end of European tour

Yesterday a music insider said: ‘Both Mick and Keith would rather be carried off stage in a coffin than
give up their great love – writing and making music. The band are pictured in April last year.

It's only rock ’n roll – but a new Rolling Stones studio album is set to make the band a whopping £2million.

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, both 73, have been in recording studios in London and New York recently, and label Universal has renewed their contract for a new album.

Along with Ronnie Wood, 70, and Charlie Watts, 76, they will release a live compilation album around Christmas.

Then next year the band will bring out a new studio record to coincide with the end of their forthcoming European tour.

Yesterday a music insider said: ‘Both Mick and Keith would rather be carried off stage in a coffin than give up their great love – writing and making music.

‘They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year, and everything just gelled. They ended up with around 15 tracks which they have cut down to album-length, and when the label execs heard it they were thrilled.

‘Age is no barrier to brilliant music, and there is no doubt the new stuff will sell.’ Richards was spotted in the studio in Manhattan on Thursday tinkering with the latest sound, while Jagger had been spotted making music a few weeks earlier.

The Stones’ last album Blue & Lonesome – their first studio record for more than a decade – went straight to number one on its release in December last year. And their latest tour, which begins in Hamburg in September, sold out in minutes.

Earlier this week Sir Paul McCartney seemed to take a dig at the Stones, suggesting audiences were not interested in new material.The former Beatle said fans only wanted to hear ‘Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Woman – don’t just do the new stuff’.

£2m is loads of money - they really need it. £0.5m each!!
Record breaking amount winking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 6, 2017 23:21

"Earlier this week Sir Paul McCartney seemed to take a dig at the Stones, suggesting audiences were not interested in new material.The former Beatle said fans only wanted to hear ‘Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Woman – don’t just do the new stuff’.

I think Paul may be more correct as it pertains to his fans..

At DT (& Vegas).. the fans loved hearing new (to us and the band as far as playing live) songs from B&B. As for Macca, loved his set, but wasn't thrilled when he played his newer material...

Re: Another Stones studio album in 2018
Date: July 6, 2017 23:48

The £2 million pounds Daily Mail article made me think of this.

I mean as if a tiny sum like that between the four members with all of their overheads would be a motivation. They are making it for themselves, the fans and art.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 6, 2017 23:49

the only positive thing about these news seems to me: Releasing a live complilation album means that the tracks won't come from a single show. Thus it's not gonna be Fonda, but maybe a bunch of songs recorded live during the upcoming No Filter tour. That means they have to pull out some rare songs since the can't fill a live album only with tracks they already released on other live albums.

Date: July 7, 2017 00:07

slewan
the only positive thing about these news seems to me: Releasing a live complilation album means that the tracks won't come from a single show. Thus it's not gonna be Fonda, but maybe a bunch of songs recorded live during the upcoming No Filter tour. That means they have to pull out some rare songs since the can't fill a live album only with tracks they already released on other live albums.

Check out the thread about the book/live album. That might be it..

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: July 7, 2017 00:08

I believe it will be the same as always that we all have on a gazillion live releases over the years, I'll just wait on the new album if it comes?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 7, 2017 00:32

BamaStone
I believe it will be the same as always that we all have on a gazillion live releases over the years, I'll just wait on the new album if it comes?

The last live release I bought was No Security / Four Flicks. No Security was no good release - Four Flicks was good because of Paris show.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566...LastNext
Current Page: 61 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1345
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home