Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 1, 2017 20:31

Hairball
KRiffhard

"They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year, and everything just gelled. They ended up with around 15 tracks which they have cut down to album-length, and when the label execs heard it they were thrilled"

Quite different than what georgelicks said just last week:

"The band is still working on the album, at least 12 new songs were recorded during the past 18 months but it looks as some of the material lacks 'focus on it',
people at Universal talked about some good stuff and some uneven songs. There's no pressure at all to get the thing ready and done yet, maybe we can get a new single released
during the early fall, that's the rumour in Universal. Today, June 23, chances for the album released this year is 70/30 NO, it was 50/50 in April so we can do the maths..."

I put more weight in what georgelicks has to say than whatever the Daily Mail has to say which is usually 10% fact and 90% fantasy.
The only sentence that might be true in from the Daily Mail is "They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year", but with their track record you have to even question that.

I hope it's true that "people at Universal" are 'thrilled' about new songs!
Heinz call your sources!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-01 20:34 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 1, 2017 20:35

KRiffhard
Hairball
KRiffhard

"They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year, and everything just gelled. They ended up with around 15 tracks which they have cut down to album-length, and when the label execs heard it they were thrilled"

"The band is still working on the album, at least 12 new songs were recorded during the past 18 months but it looks as some of the material lacks 'focus on it',
people at Universal talked about some good stuff and some uneven songs. There's no pressure at all to get the thing ready and done yet, maybe we can get a new single released
during the early fall, that's the rumour in Universal. Today, June 23, chances for the album released this year is 70/30 NO, it was 50/50 in April so we can do the maths..."

I put more weight in what georgelicks has to say than whatever the Daily Mail has to say which is usually 10% fact and 90% fantasy.
The only sentence that might be true in from the Daily Mail is "They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year", but with their track record you have to even question that.

Same here KRiffhard, I was just pointing out all the different rumours swirling about, and how they can differ from one source to the next.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 1, 2017 20:37

Shott
Crosseyed Heart is the most unified, imaginative, and emotionally compelling record since Exile. Best song is Nothing on me.

smileys with beerthumbs upthumbs up Thank God someone hears CH the way i do.
I just can't believe all this talk of snooze fest etc.
There are nearly 300 pages somewhere on this forum where people were so buzzed by keith's album. Critics, fans even my wife and sons loved it.
I can't believe the way people talk about CH on here. It can only be jealousy because its an astounding comeback from the great man, when everyone said he was washed up and couldn't play or write anymore.
Never underestimate Keith, just you wait for this new studio album, its going to be amazing , i just know it.smileys with beer

Date: July 1, 2017 20:42

Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
KRiffhard

Same here KRiffhard, I was just pointing out all the different rumours swirling about, and how they can differ from one source to the next.

thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 1, 2017 20:45

stone4ever
It can only be jealousy because its an astounding comeback from the great man, when everyone said he was washed up and couldn't play or write anymore.
Never underestimate Keith, just you wait for this new studio album, its going to be amazing , i just know it.smileys with beer

Misspelled "almost no one".

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 1, 2017 21:20

LongBeachArena72
Don't feel like re-litigating the past--that was a lot of fun the 1st time around when X-eyed Heart came out--so will try to stay at least a bit on topic.

While its essential charms continue to elude, even mystify me, I can see that there are certain elements of production, of instrumentation, of sound that might translate well to the Supposed Album. I love especially the acoustic guitars on X-eyed; they have such texture. There's a feeling of laid-back space, of territory for the music to play in. The Stones could do much worse than incorporate those elements into the Supposed Album.

I realized in my most recent tour of Keith's record over the past 24 hrs that my major problem with it is that it never quite ... gets there. It's melodies, for example, don't resolve into anything memorable. The grooves begin to tease the mind as if something is going to happen, to turn, to catch you up, but the hooks now elude Keith in the twilight of his years. "Just a Gift," for example, meanders, flirts with something, and only catches any kind of fire once Keith shuts up and the 'thats alright/that's alright' outro kicks in, which is lovely.

(By contrast, Mick's latter-day melodies tend to over-resolve, often in trite or too simple ways. It's almost like as songwriters they have the opposite problems!)

But, again, it seems that X-eyed does offer a way forward for the band. While the prospect of a multimillionaire white boy channeling the music of long-dead black men (most of whom died much younger than he is today, true victims of lives that were 'hard') from the immaculately kept emerald green lawns of his Connecticut estate might seem ridiculous ... still, this is the band's demo now, and it is what made Blue & Lonesome the (relative success it was: the latte-sipping NPR/CBS Sunday Morning crowd. They'll lap up any new Stones record so long as it's marketed as an authentic throwback to their legacy, a credible "branded" roar from these lions in winter.

Some day you'll get Just A Gift LB...smoking smiley. The lines about stars in bars boring him is worth the price of admission, such a cool line. And Keith should never shut up...>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-01 21:24 by Maindefender.

Date: July 1, 2017 21:23

georgelicks
Hairball
KRiffhard

Key people at Universal was surprised with the new stuff, some great songs, classic Stones and all that but also some rare stuff, not typical Rolling Stones material, rare, experimental songs. "Weird beats" was the word.
From inside information, we can expect an updated "Bridges To Babylon" type record.

Call the new album "weird bears", I like it

Date: July 1, 2017 21:25

Deathgod
Just heard from a mate that new LIVE comp album before Xmas and new album next year

I could dig that...

Date: July 1, 2017 21:29

MisterDDDD
stone4ever
It can only be jealousy because its an astounding comeback from the great man, when everyone said he was washed up and couldn't play or write anymore.

Almost no one thought he was washed up ? almost everyone who posts on here at the time thought keith was washed up as an artist and as a player.
What are you saying exactly ??

I wonder what happened to a lot of good posters from a while ago, most of the people who were positive about Crosseyed Heart either left, got bored with the negativity, changed their mind about the album, or maybe, like me, they got tired of people like you.

Date: July 1, 2017 22:01

Longbeach said

I realized in my most recent tour of Keith's record over the past 24 hrs that my major problem with it is that it never quite ... gets there. It's melodies, for example, don't resolve into anything memorable. The grooves begin to tease the mind as if something is going to happen, to turn, to catch you up, but the hooks now elude Keith in the twilight of his years. "Just a Gift," for example, meanders, flirts with something, and only catches any kind of fire once Keith shuts up and the 'that's alright/that's alright' outro kicks in, which is lovely.

I know exactly what you mean by this longbeach, and it's something i noticed straight away on my first listen of CH.
What fascinates me is somehow Keith throws away the manual, he defies logic, he manages to disregard certain rules of writing and pulls it off.
He sort of charms his way though songs, these gaps he makes, slight delays and then vocally over emphasizing to disguise missing melodies, it begins to turn out for the better the more you listen, you come to realize the melodies aren't needed.
He doesn't come in when you expect and because he pulls back when you expect more and visa versa is absolute genius, because in the long run instead of the songs becoming predictable and boring they start to make their own timeless quirky sort of sense. I can't say if its laziness from Keith or pure inspiration, i understand that its not for everyone's ears, like some people watching a movie need the film to pan out in a formula that they understand, they don't like to feel awkward or shut out by the movie. All i can say is that for the connoisseur Crosseyed Heart keeps getting fresher over time, the same way that Exile did.
Basically the songs don't become boring , they just get better.
Its Jazz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-01 22:45 by stone4ever.

Date: July 1, 2017 22:17

I doubt that Fonda is the "live album compilation".

I hope it is, though smiling smiley

Date: July 1, 2017 22:29

georgelicks
Hairball
KRiffhard

Key people at Universal was surprised with the new stuff, some great songs, classic Stones and all that but also some rare stuff, not typical Rolling Stones material, rare, experimental songs. "Weird beats" was the word.
From inside information, we can expect an updated "Bridges To Babylon" type record.

Many thanks Georgelicks!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 1, 2017 22:50

stone4ever
MisterDDDD
stone4ever

Almost no one thought he was washed up ? almost everyone who posts on here at the time thought keith was washed up as an artist and as a player.

I wonder what happened to a lot of good posters from a while ago, most of the people who were positive about Crosseyed Heart either left, got bored with the negativity, changed their mind about the album, or maybe, like me, they got tired of people like you.

Pull some of the "a lot" quotes of posters saying he was "washed up".. and couldn't play etc.. You won't. Sure, a few posters as negative on Keith as you are on Mick, but basically most here are fans who know better. Show me quotes from more than three posters to prove your point. You won't. Because they don't
exist. Sorry if someone pointing out reality undermines your negative outlook.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-01 22:50 by MisterDDDD.

Date: July 1, 2017 23:11

MisterDDDD
stone4ever
MisterDDDD
stone4ever

Pull some of the "a lot" quotes of posters saying he was "washed up".. and couldn't play etc.. You won't. Sure, a few posters as negative on Keith as you are on Mick, but basically most here are fans who know better. Show me quotes from more than three posters to prove your point. You won't. Because they don't
exist. Sorry if someone pointing out reality undermines your negative outlook.

It went on for a long time, years before i even posted on here, everything about Keith's guitar playing, saying he had a stroke, saying he had brain damage, his fingers couldn't move etc etc.
Keith did a bit of playing at a Chuck Berry bash with Elvis Costello and got bashed mercilessly, another time he got up on stage to play with Johnny Depp, same thing everyone said he couldn't play , that he lost his timing, as i say the general consensus with the experts on here said he was washed up. So i think i am right is saying that keith had a comeback with the %0th anniversary shows and his solo album CH. It must have taken a superhuman effort from keith to come out of retirement and get it back together again. I'm full of praise and admiration for the man ok.
Why do you have a problem with me saying people said he was washed up, you know it was said over and over and for many years. What is your problem to keep picking me up all the time, write some stuff yourself, enjoy, comment, get off of my back.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 1, 2017 23:23

No, I'm with stone-4ever on the fact that there was much speculation that after BRIDGES, Keith dried up as a songwriter. "Losing My Touch" and his very limited role in crafting A BIGGER BANG seemed to bear this out. CROSSEYED HEART took a very long time to complete and often seemed like the phantom album he would never finish. The lengthy process and rediscovery of his muse became part of the album's promotion and so it is now part of our collective memory, but during those years Keith's relatively low profile (most were unaware of Patti's illness) and Mick's decision to finish up old outtakes seemed to point to the fact that Keith was a spent force. When they wrapped up A BIGGER BANG in 2007, even Chuck believed they would never again play "Gimme Shelter" because Keith's fingers just couldn't take the abuse. Many believed they had seen the last Stones tour.

Mister DDDD, you may be among those who kept the faith, and good for you for never doubting Keith could still turn around at such a late date. I readily admit I was among those who never expected to see what he has done the last 5 years. No, it's hardly all jaw-dropping; but it's far more than I expected.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 2, 2017 01:09

Dont know what to think of "weird beats", could appreciate the taking some risks but I am afriad it would be a "coat of weird paint". weird is good if it's got the feel
we'll see

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 2, 2017 01:18

I maybe missing something, but if earlier reports are to be believed, the new album is pretty much recorded + only has a bit of final mixing to do.
So, therefore it could be released to chime in with the European treck.
This would garner plenty of publicity.
Also, still be reasonably fresh to get an extra PR push pre Christmas.
To wait till a possible UK tour, in say 12 months time seems illogical.

Date: July 2, 2017 01:46

georgelicks
Hairball
KRiffhard

So when you originally said the Universal people thought some of the songs "lacked focus" and were "uneven",
they were really just saying that along with some classic great sounding Stones songs, there's some "weird beats", "rare stuff", and "experimental songs"?
Or is the latter something new they came up with since saying that some of the new work "lacked focus" and was "uneven"?
Whatever the case, sounds a bit more optimistic what you've posted now compared to what you posted last week.

And since things seem fluid, have the chances for the album to be released this year changed from 70/30 as you posted June 23?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-02 01:47 by Hairball.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 2, 2017 02:06

stone4ever
Shott
Crosseyed Heart is the most unified, imaginative, and emotionally compelling record since Exile. Best song is Nothing on me.

smileys with beerthumbs upthumbs up Thank God someone hears CH the way i do.
I just can't believe all this talk of snooze fest etc.
There are nearly 300 pages somewhere on this forum where people were so buzzed by keith's album. Critics, fans even my wife and sons loved it.
I can't believe the way people talk about CH on here. It can only be jealousy because its an astounding comeback from the great man, when everyone said he was washed up and couldn't play or write anymore.

thumbs up smileys with beer

CROSSEYED HEART is fantastic. Listening to it now!

Hope the NEW album will be better than STEEL WHEELS which was the first STONES album after the fantastic TALK IS CHEAP in 1988-1989.
I think TALK IS CHEAP is far better compared to STEEL WHEELS...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-02 02:10 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 2, 2017 02:32

stone4ever
Longbeach said

I realized in my most recent tour of Keith's record over the past 24 hrs that my major problem with it is that it never quite ... gets there. It's melodies, for example, don't resolve into anything memorable. The grooves begin to tease the mind as if something is going to happen, to turn, to catch you up, but the hooks now elude Keith in the twilight of his years. "Just a Gift," for example, meanders, flirts with something, and only catches any kind of fire once Keith shuts up and the 'that's alright/that's alright' outro kicks in, which is lovely.

I know exactly what you mean by this longbeach, and it's something i noticed straight away on my first listen of CH.
What fascinates me is somehow Keith throws away the manual, he defies logic, he manages to disregard certain rules of writing and pulls it off.
He sort of charms his way though songs, these gaps he makes, slight delays and then vocally over emphasizing to disguise missing melodies, it begins to turn out for the better the more you listen, you come to realize the melodies aren't needed.
He doesn't come in when you expect and because he pulls back when you expect more and visa versa is absolute genius, because in the long run instead of the songs becoming predictable and boring they start to make their own timeless quirky sort of sense. I can't say if its laziness from Keith or pure inspiration, i understand that its not for everyone's ears, like some people watching a movie need the film to pan out in a formula that they understand, they don't like to feel awkward or shut out by the movie. All i can say is that for the connoisseur Crosseyed Heart keeps getting fresher over time, the same way that Exile did.
Its Jazz.

I couldn't disagree more ... but I understand where you're coming from, riffie, and, as always, I'm happy for you for the enjoyment you derive from this record and from Keith in general. I get the feeling that Keith means a lot more to you than just the grooves on a record, and that's cool. I don't have that connection to him and so only can listen to him and try to feel/understand based on what I hear.

The jazz I love is improvisatory, and I like to hear it live. As I understand it, Keith's record was cobbled together on tape over a decade ... and he just doesn't have the chops anymore to even play it all the way through through, to say nothing of trying to improvise and explore its themes more fully in a live setting. So, another area we'll have to agree to disagree!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 2, 2017 03:08

my impression is that it was more lazy and Patchwork rather than genius or particularly innovative

Date: July 2, 2017 04:37

Regarding Crosseyed Heart, my impression is that it wasn't rocket science, it was put together at his own pace, and it was more of a labor of love than anything else. He tips his hat to several different genres - from acoustic blues, electric blues, reggae, soul, stax, and throws in a blasting tribute to Tom Waits amidst it all without trying to reinvent the wheel. He could have taken the really easy/lazy approach and had special a guest on every song - the same way that some legends have - but instead keeps it minimally produced with one only special guest duet with Norah Jones on the superior Illusion. No need to defend it as everyone has their own tastes, but for me it's a great listening experience that says "STONES" all over it. Easily the best "Stones" album since Tattoo You, and even better than his other solo albums imo. Hope there is some carry over to the new album (as it did production wise with the B&L covers), but with georgelicks saying something about Bridges to Babylon, I fear it will be so far removed from the classiness of Crosseyed Heart that it will sound like another failed attempt at being contemporary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-02 06:34 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 2, 2017 05:14

It was Norah Jones, not Alicia Keys.

Nice write-up, Hairball. Although for me, it is the least of Keith's three albums.

Date: July 2, 2017 05:36

Rocky Dijon
It was Norah Jones, not Alicia Keys.

Nice write-up, Hairball. Although for me, it is the least of Keith's three albums.

Hahaha...oops!
I must have confused her... Dylan mentioned Alicia Keys in one of his songs!

drinking smiley

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 2, 2017 07:54

Hairball
Regarding Crosseyed Heart, my impression is that it wasn't rocket science, it was put together at his own pace, and it was more of a labor of love than anything else. He tips his hat to several different genres - from acoustic blues, electric blues, reggae, soul, stax, and throws in a blasting tribute to Tom Waits amidst it all without trying to reinvent the wheel. He could have taken the really easy/lazy approach and had special a guest on every song - the same way that some legends have - but instead keeps it minimally produced with one only special guest duet with Norah Jones on the superior Illusion. No need to defend it as everyone has their own tastes, but for me it's a great listening experience that says "STONES" all over it. Easily the best "Stones" album since Tattoo You, and even better than his other solo albums imo. Hope there is some carry over to the new album (as it did production wise with the B&L covers), but with georgelicks saying something about Bridges to Babylon, I fear it will be so far removed from the classiness of Crosseyed Heart that it will sound like another failed attempt at being contemporary.

Bridges was a strong album .. pretty darn strong .. but it was imperfect.. some of that planned to make it twisted.. some of it not.

They are / will have spent ALOT of time .. taking the sweetest old time of their entire career on this one if it is to be delivered next year.. My guess (and HOPE) is that they are going to make some songs different.. and this a different type of album BUT keeping it just right.. I think they are taking so much time to ensure they are perfecting it.. delivering it in the best light .. and in making sure everything is as quality in the best direction possible this time out (unlike Bridges .. which became rushed and not so much a group project).

This time it is a group project and they are going to not want to make the mistakes in this one as they did in a few ways and places on BTB. They want this album to be as good as it possibly can be is the way Im getting it .. and if it takes a little longer.. (F**K it wil be 2-3 years! lol) in order to achieve that.. so be it.

I am sure they still will have classic Stones based stuff too. I think it will not stretch quite as far as Bridges.. it will be a little more focused.. but with uniquely styled Stones in many places .. and in a different Stones album (while still having some standard Stones Stuff). That is what I think it will be.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-02 07:56 by IanBillen.

Date: July 2, 2017 08:28

You almost sound like Nostradamus Ian with clear visions of the future!
Can you tell us if Keith will be singing any lead vocals on this new album? smiling smiley

Date: July 2, 2017 10:01

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
Longbeach said

Its Jazz.

I couldn't disagree more ... but I understand where you're coming from, riffie, and, as always, I'm happy for you for the enjoyment you derive from this record and from Keith in general. I get the feeling that Keith means a lot more to you than just the grooves on a record, and that's cool. I don't have that connection to him and so only can listen to him and try to feel/understand based on what I hear.

The jazz I love is improvisatory, and I like to hear it live. As I understand it, Keith's record was cobbled together on tape over a decade ... and he just doesn't have the chops anymore to even play it all the way through through, to say nothing of trying to improvise and explore its themes more fully in a live setting. So, another area we'll have to agree to disagree!

Yes agree to disagree LB. Its not so much a case of i'm mistaken, more a case of you just don't hear it. Just as i don't hear Rap music, or my wife can't hear Bob Dylan. Its kind of funny so many continually comment on Keith's music, an idiom they don't hear or understand. Keith certainly had his chops together when it comes to CH the finished article.
The strange thing is that when you said Keith means more to me than just the groves on the record, i had to ask myself why. And i have no idea as to why that is. On one level Keith is an average player with an average voice, but on another level no one plays like him and no one writes like him or even moves like him come to that.
Its everything really, his spirit, his directness, his inappropriateness, the fact that he is still alive and performing after everything he has been through. He is a survivor against all the odds, i guess i identify with him and have that in common with him.
Other than that he plays guitar in the best Rock And Roll band in the world.

Also i think the reason Keith didn't tour behind CH was because he's loyalty is still with the Stones and he didn't want to jeopardize the Stones, he didn't want to provoke Mick. He started making CH because he thought the Stones were over. I doubt he expected the 50th anniversary concerts to continue for another 5 years. He even waited a couple years to find the right time in between Stones shows to release CH.
Keith has said that when the Stones finish he will probably do some solo show's and i am sure we will get to hear some of CH live.
Keith will do the right thing when the time is right, i don't believe he didn't tour behind CH because he physically couldn't, just watch him sing and play three songs at the Las Vegas gig last year when Mick had his throat problems, keith can still sing and play alright.
People always underestimate Keith, never write him off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-02 10:21 by stone4ever.

Date: July 2, 2017 10:18

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-02 10:25 by stone4ever.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 2, 2017 11:36

Hairball

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 2, 2017 11:39

Reading this thread is basically just sorting through every post as fast as possible to see if georgelicks has added something.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home