Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 30, 2017 22:24

GetYerAngie
maumau
DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman
The mellow stuff on CH has Dylan-quality (musically, that is). If the Stones could capture some of that vibe on their new album, I'll be happy.

I hope they wont. Dylan has at his best made mediocre albums since Time Out of Mind. And sure hope that CH will not be the model for the forthcoming album - and that Keith vocal-tracks will be restrickted to the lewell on B&L, which was one of many strengths of that album.

Nobody wants only mellow stuff on the new album, I suppose. I was merely pointing to the production and the vibe on those kind of tracks. Many of the Stones's latter-day ballads sounds like an elephant in a green room – no dynamics, no warmth in sound.

+1 Neither I hope for an only-slow-ballads album for ***sake.

But I completely agree with DandelionPowderman here, and would add: greatest Stones album in the past are far from uptempo tour de force. Just for the record: Beggars Banquet that basically has just SFTD and SFM that you would consider "fast" and they are peculiarly so; Sticky Fingers (I think I recalla MJ interview just before or after the release of the Fonda gig, in which he showed his concerns about the quantity of "slow" material on the album to be played live); side B of Tattoo You.

Stones are about the "roll" far more than the "rock" and there are many different paces to roll on.
I am not concerned about fast or slow songs. I love much of the slow stuff - fx on SF side B on TY. But I think the lesson from B&L is that Keith-vocals are not need on stones albums. They might be fine to some on his solo stuff, but since Before they make me run on SG they haven't done much good on stones albums. The heavy influence from Tom Waits (voice and style and fake authencity) has been hard to integrate on the albums from All about you (ER) and on.

One of biggest problems (and mistakes) on B&L was not having Keith vocals on at least one tune. Even if it was a brief ending coda with him alone on acoustic ... rambling on in a similar way he did on Crosseyed Heart (the tune itself). Or like that tune, maybe an opening introduction to the album...a simple cover of I'd Rather Go Blind for example. Or maybe a standard ramshackle slow blues jam/blast where the entire band are firing on all cylinders (a cover of First Time I Met the Blues for example) would have been perfect imo. Or maybe a fast paced steamrolling and rollicking cover of Statesboro Blues...letting it all hang out, Keith on vocals would have been a real treat imo. Instead, Keith was MIA and the album suffers because of it.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 30, 2017 22:55

I know its getting annoying Hairball but i keep agreeing with you lol.
Yes i too was very disappointed that Keith, Mr Blues himself, didn't get at least one song on BAL.
it really needed it, the album is far too one dimensional, especially after half a dozen plays. I got bored with it after the first week and haven't wanted to play it since.

Date: June 30, 2017 23:00

stone4ever
I know its getting annoying Hairball but i keep agreeing with you lol.
Yes i too was very disappointed that Keith, Mr Blues himself, didn't get at least one song on BAL.
it really needed it, the album is far too one dimensional, especially after half a dozen plays. I got bored with it after the first week and haven't wanted to play it since.

Lol...we are not alone in this belief.

smileys with beer

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 30, 2017 23:05

KRiffhard
henrik87
Cristiano Radtke
According to the Daily Mail (yes, take it with a grain of salt) Keith is back in the studio, this time in NY.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Great news. I thought the same when I saw the picture of Mick from NYC a few days ago.

Normally they do final overdubs and mixing in NYC.

thumbs up

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Another Album in 2017 is in the finishing stage!!!

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: July 1, 2017 05:10

Just heard from a mate that new LIVE comp album before Xmas and new album next year

Date: July 1, 2017 05:16

Another LIVE comp?

Maybe they'll include the two new blues covers, and maybe CHYMK and Midnight Rambler and Sway with Mick Taylor...but other than that what is there?
Their cover of Come Together? moody smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 1, 2017 05:35

A live compilation album from the last several years followed closely by a new studio album would be nice, although the reverse order would be much better.

Regardless of what the usual haters might say, there have been some phenomenal performances captured. Including the special guests like Taylor or Katy Perry et al wouldn't be my preference though. The Rolling Stones are who I want to hear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-01 05:36 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 1, 2017 05:46

Deathgod
Just heard from a mate that new LIVE comp album before Xmas and new album next year

A live compilation of what? The less played songs from the past tours or that much rumoured live duets album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-01 05:48 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 1, 2017 05:59

Cristiano Radtke
Deathgod

A live compilation of what? The less played songs from the past tours or that much rumoured live duets album?

My understanding is that they've made real progress over the last few years on nailing songs like "Gimme Shelter," "Satsfaction," "Miss You," "You Got Me Rocking," and "It's Only Rock'n'Roll," among several others, in concert. Perhaps a record chronicling that achievement would do well?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 1, 2017 06:00

LongBeachArena72
Cristiano Radtke
Deathgod

My understanding is that they've made real progress over the last few years on nailing songs like "Gimme Shelter," "Satsfaction," "Miss You," "You Got Me Rocking," and "It's Only Rock'n'Roll," among several others, in concert. Perhaps a record chronicling that achievement would do well?

Don't forget Scarf me Up!

Date: July 1, 2017 06:11

Cristiano Radtke
LongBeachArena72
Cristiano Radtke
Deathgod

Don't forget Scarf me Up!

Oh yeah...and the recent live version of Mixed Emotions...and the live version of Emotional Rescue.
Just what the world needs right now...eye rolling smileythumbs down

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 1, 2017 06:13

If the news is reliable, this could be the compilation of previously released live material that was considered a number of years ago and then wisely scrapped. Much as no one may want The Best of 2012-2016 previously unreleased concert recordings, The Best of 1971-2016 previously released concert recordings would likely appeal even less.

Date: July 1, 2017 08:01

Rocky Dijon
If the news is reliable, this could be the compilation of previously released live material that was considered a number of years ago and then wisely scrapped. Much as no one may want The Best of 2012-2016 previously unreleased concert recordings, The Best of 1971-2016 previously released concert recordings would likely appeal even less.

Was that really being considered? A "greatest" comp. of previously released live material?
What a scam....

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 1, 2017 08:27

Deathgod

It's gonna be Sticky Fingers Live. It's in the cards, the usual video/audio combo. No way they'll release another live album apart from that one before the new studio album. A live compilation of previously released material would not make any commercial sense at all, just look at the sales of L&G so far.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: July 1, 2017 08:52

What or where is the source that they'll release a new Live Comp???

We don't need another live album! We need a new studio album!

Date: July 1, 2017 09:59

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
I just hope he hangs around when the final production and mixing of this album takes place. I feel he has neglected the finishing touches in recent decades, Mick seems to take over and drown Keith out of the mix as much as he can. That's why we keep ending up with Mick solo Stones albums.

Come on Keith stay the course this time me beauty. smileys with beer

FREE KEITH!

Lol. On the contrary, enslave Keith in the studio winking smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-01 10:25 by stone4ever.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 1, 2017 11:37

wupperstein

We don't need another live album! We need a new studio album![/[/b]quote]

You're right!

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: July 1, 2017 12:26

wupperstein

We don't need another live album! We need a new studio album!

In today's Daily Mail it says there's a live compilation album coming out for Christmas and that the new studio album will be released next year "at the end of their European tour". I suppose a U.K. tour could be considered as the second leg of a European tour!!!

I guess this is on line but I don't know how to copy and paste a link on an iPad.

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 1, 2017 12:44

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 1, 2017 13:02

"They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year, and everything just gelled. They ended up with around 15 tracks which they have cut down to album-length, and when the label execs heard it they were thrilled"

Date: July 1, 2017 13:33

Typical Daily Mail, making a statement that the Stones will make 2 million pounds from the new album. Big deal, obviously they are not making it for the money, they are making it for themselves and the fans.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 1, 2017 14:25

i hope it will turn out to be the physical release of sticky fingers live and not some other comp greatest hits live... stale waste

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: July 1, 2017 14:40

So a Live album in December (Hope for Fonda gig), new album next spring(May) and an UK Tour (19/12 gigs) end of May/early July?!smoking smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 1, 2017 16:20

KRiffhard

"They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year, and everything just gelled. They ended up with around 15 tracks which they have cut down to album-length, and when the label execs heard it they were thrilled"

And they're going to sit on that great stuff for 1+ year and release it to "coincide with the end of a tour !? Well at least they'll have an excuse not to play any new tracks!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: July 1, 2017 17:59

This Daily Mail article, whenever it starts with AN INSIDER SAID, it's usually BS.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: July 1, 2017 19:38

Crosseyed Heart is the most unified, imaginative, and emotionally compelling record since Exile. Best song is Nothing on me.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 1, 2017 20:12

stone4ever
Typical Daily Mail, making a statement that the Stones will make 2 million pounds from the new album. Big deal, obviously they are not making it for the money, they are making it for themselves and the fans.

Universal will pay them 2 million pounds (about $2.5 million dollars) for the new album, a long way from the $28 million deal from 1983 for 4 albums (DW, SW, Mick's solo records + Flashpoint as bonus) and even miles away from Virgin's $45 million deal for 3 albums plus back catalog, with today's sales on the floor is understandable.

And about the album, I'm told that it's mostly done with mixing and overdubs left, but more than likely it will be released next year, Universal wants to release it in December to maximize sales but the band wants to hold it until 2018, maybe to release it during the possible UK tour.

A new song could be released during the "No Filter" tour to play it live as a tester, it could be or not on the album, only a streaming release and vinyl single for the die hards who still care about physical product.

About the live album, a duets album from 2012-2013 was compiled but never released due to contractual problems with some of the guests. It had the duets with Katy Perry, Dave Grohl, Tom Waits, John Fogerty, Lady Gaga, John Mayer, Eric Clapton, Taylor Swift, The Black Keys and Gwen Stefani among others. Too many people, too many diferent record labels, maybe some day, who knows...

The Fonda show is ready to go for a while now so it could be that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-01 20:15 by georgelicks.

Date: July 1, 2017 20:15

KRiffhard

Quite different than what georgelicks said just last week:

"The band is still working on the album, at least 12 new songs were recorded during the past 18 months but it looks as some of the material lacks 'focus on it',
people at Universal talked about some good stuff and some uneven songs. There's no pressure at all to get the thing ready and done yet, maybe we can get a new single released
during the early fall, that's the rumour in Universal. Today, June 23, chances for the album released this year is 70/30 NO, it was 50/50 in April so we can do the maths..."

I put more weight in what georgelicks has to say than whatever the Daily Mail has to say which is usually 10% fact and 90% fantasy.
The only sentence that might be true in from the Daily Mail is "They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year", but with their track record you have to even question that.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 1, 2017 20:28

Hairball
KRiffhard

Quite different than what georgelicks said just last week:

"The band is still working on the album, at least 12 new songs were recorded during the past 18 months but it looks as some of the material lacks 'focus on it',
people at Universal talked about some good stuff and some uneven songs. There's no pressure at all to get the thing ready and done yet, maybe we can get a new single released
during the early fall, that's the rumour in Universal. Today, June 23, chances for the album released this year is 70/30 NO, it was 50/50 in April so we can do the maths..."

I put more weight in what georgelicks has to say than whatever the Daily Mail has to say which is usually 10% fact and 90% fantasy.
The only sentence that might be true in from the Daily Mail is "They were experimenting in the studio earlier this year", but with their track record you have to even question that.

Key people at Universal was surprised with the new stuff, some great songs, classic Stones and all that but also some rare stuff, not typical Rolling Stones material, rare, experimental songs. "Weird beats" was the word.
From inside information, we can expect an updated "Bridges To Babylon" type record.

Date: July 1, 2017 20:30

Thank's Georgelicks , what makes me laugh about the Stones is that even though they are so old, they still have the faith to put things off another year and then another year. its as though they don't realize that time is catching them up.
You have to admire them for that attitude really.

Can anyone help me, i've asked this question a few times, will the Fonda gig when its released be like a DVD release where you can see the band as well as hear them. Is that what people mean when they say a physical release ?
I don't get it actually, we already have the Fonda gig on Audio, whats the point in releasing a CD of that concert. confused smiley

Also i think most of the guest performers sucked from the 50 and counting tour, so i was hoping they don't get released, apart from a couple of people like John Mayer and Florence Welch i thought the duets were pointless. Lady Fricken Gaga, Mary J. Blige, do me a favor.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1486
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home