Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 30, 2017 13:18

Maindefender
matxil
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
I thought Keith's album was full of surprises and interesting, the opposite of what Doxy thinks , this is the problem with these conversations, one mans meat is another man's poison. Just going through my head with Crosseyed Heart you got songs like Amnesia, Something For Nothing, Lovers Plea and Substantial Damage, i mean if these songs are not interesting or surprising i don't know what to say.
Basically the biggest surprise with CH is how god damn good it is.
From Heartstopper, Robbed blind, Nothing On Me, Suspicious, Just A Gift to Blues In The Morning, these are great tracks Ronnie or Mick would be proud to have wrote, especially this late in the day.
I don't know what people expected from Keith, a bit of a duet with Jay Z or Beyonce, the mind boggles.

riffie you are NOT going to make me listen to that yawn of a record and explain to you AGAIN why it's boring, are you? c'mon, my brother, life's too short!

ok, ok, just pick the best track and i'll listen to that. what is the BEST SONG on x-eyed heart? i'll listen to that one and report back.

and btw i've always thought a keith/tupac duet woulda been ill ...

I'd say either "Suspicious" or "Illusion", which are my favourites, but since you put so much emphasis on "boring", I am guessing you don't like slow songs (I might be completely wrong here, slow songs are not necesarily boring, but then again, people who are bored tend to prefer faster songs). The faster songs on CH are not the best, they are good (except for Blues in the Morning, which is just a lot of noise), but not as great as the four soul ballads. Try "Lover's Plea", is my advice - or - if you are into country - "Robbed Blind".

Justc A Gift gets me every time. Country tinged tearjerker...thumbs up

I would say Lover's Plea is one of the most touching songs ever sung by Keith

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 30, 2017 14:00

hockenheim95
Maindefender
matxil
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
I thought Keith's album was full of surprises and interesting, the opposite of what Doxy thinks , this is the problem with these conversations, one mans meat is another man's poison. Just going through my head with Crosseyed Heart you got songs like Amnesia, Something For Nothing, Lovers Plea and Substantial Damage, i mean if these songs are not interesting or surprising i don't know what to say.
From Heartstopper, Robbed blind, Nothing On Me, Suspicious, Just A Gift to Blues In The Morning, these are great tracks Ronnie or Mick would be proud to have wrote, especially this late in the day.
I don't know what people expected from Keith, a bit of a duet with Jay Z or Beyonce, the mind boggles.

riffie you are NOT going to make me listen to that yawn of a record and explain to you AGAIN why it's boring, are you? c'mon, my brother, life's too short!

ok, ok, just pick the best track and i'll listen to that. what is the BEST SONG on x-eyed heart? i'll listen to that one and report back.

I'd say either "Suspicious" or "Illusion", which are my favourites, but since you put so much emphasis on "boring", I am guessing you don't like slow songs (I might be completely wrong here, slow songs are not necesarily boring, but then again, people who are bored tend to prefer faster songs). The faster songs on CH are not the best, they are good (except for Blues in the Morning, which is just a lot of noise), but not as great as the four soul ballads. Try "Lover's Plea", is my advice - or - if you are into country - "Robbed Blind".

As far as I'm concerned, there's the Holy Four (how do you say that: Quadrity? Foursome?) "Illusion", "Suspicious", "Just A Gift" and "Lover's Plea". But I love "Robbed Blind" and "Goodnight Irene" very much too.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 30, 2017 14:01

DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman
The mellow stuff on CH has Dylan-quality (musically, that is). If the Stones could capture some of that vibe on their new album, I'll be happy.

I hope they wont. Dylan has at his best made mediocre albums since Time Out of Mind. And sure hope that CH will not be the model for the forthcoming album - and that Keith vocal-tracks will be restrickted to the lewell on B&L, which was one of many strengths of that album.

Nobody wants only mellow stuff on the new album, I suppose. I was merely pointing to the production and the vibe on those kind of tracks. Many of the Stones's latter-day ballads sounds like an elephant in a green room – no dynamics, no warmth in sound.

+1 Neither I hope for an only-slow-ballads album for ***sake.

But I completely agree with DandelionPowderman here, and would add: greatest Stones album in the past are far from uptempo tour de force. Just for the record: Beggars Banquet that basically has just SFTD and SFM that you would consider "fast" and they are peculiarly so; Sticky Fingers (I think I recalla MJ interview just before or after the release of the Fonda gig, in which he showed his concerns about the quantity of "slow" material on the album to be played live); side B of Tattoo You.

Stones are about the "roll" far more than the "rock" and there are many different paces to roll on.

Date: June 30, 2017 14:14

matxil
hockenheim95
Maindefender
matxil
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever

As far as I'm concerned, there's the Holy Four (how do you say that: Quadrity? Foursome?) "Illusion", "Suspicious", "Just A Gift" and "Lover's Plea". But I love "Robbed Blind" and "Goodnight Irene" very much too.

Robbed Blind deserves its spot in there smiling smiley

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: June 30, 2017 15:15

maumau
DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman
The mellow stuff on CH has Dylan-quality (musically, that is). If the Stones could capture some of that vibe on their new album, I'll be happy.

I hope they wont. Dylan has at his best made mediocre albums since Time Out of Mind. And sure hope that CH will not be the model for the forthcoming album - and that Keith vocal-tracks will be restrickted to the lewell on B&L, which was one of many strengths of that album.

Nobody wants only mellow stuff on the new album, I suppose. I was merely pointing to the production and the vibe on those kind of tracks. Many of the Stones's latter-day ballads sounds like an elephant in a green room – no dynamics, no warmth in sound.

+1 Neither I hope for an only-slow-ballads album for ***sake.

But I completely agree with DandelionPowderman here, and would add: greatest Stones album in the past are far from uptempo tour de force. Just for the record: Beggars Banquet that basically has just SFTD and SFM that you would consider "fast" and they are peculiarly so; Sticky Fingers (I think I recalla MJ interview just before or after the release of the Fonda gig, in which he showed his concerns about the quantity of "slow" material on the album to be played live); side B of Tattoo You.

Stones are about the "roll" far more than the "rock" and there are many different paces to roll on.
I am not concerned about fast or slow songs. I love much of the slow stuff - fx on SF side B on TY. But I think the lesson from B&L is that Keith-vocals are not need on stones albums. They might be fine to some on his solo stuff, but since Before they make me run on SG they haven't done much good on stones albums. The heavy influence from Tom Waits (voice and style and fake authencity) has been hard to integrate on the albums from All about you (ER) and on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-30 15:30 by GetYerAngie.

Date: June 30, 2017 15:22

Then we have Little T+A, Wanna Hold You, Too Rude, Can't Be Seen and You Don't Have To Mean It which are not Waits- or Speak Easy-esque.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 30, 2017 15:24

DandelionPowderman
Then we have Little T+A, Wanna Hold You, Too Rude, Can't Be Seen and You Don't Have To Mean It which are not Waits- or Speak Easy-esque.

Love those songs !!
Jeroen

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: June 30, 2017 15:26

DandelionPowderman

Yeah, but not exactly highlights either.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 30, 2017 15:30

And of course then there are the different cups of tea smiling smiley mine is for sure the Keith influenced by Tom Waits, I do love All about you, Sleep Tonight, Slippin Away, Thief in The Night etc.. smiling smiley

Hope Keith keeps his double spot with one roller and one slower in the next album

Date: June 30, 2017 15:32

GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, but not exactly highlights either.

Some of them are indeed.

Date: June 30, 2017 15:33

maumau
And of course then there are the different cups of tea smiling smiley mine is for sure the Keith influenced by Tom Waits, I do love All about you, Sleep Tonight, Slippin Away, Thief in The Night etc.. smiling smiley

Hope Keith keeps his double spot with one roller and one slower in the next album

And there are great songs like The Worst and How Can I Stop that, even though they're slow, have nothing to do with Waits, but merely country and soul.

Date: June 30, 2017 15:39

maumau

Yes, those and the more soul based stuff he did on his solo albums are my favourites too. He's not so good with more uptempo rock n roll songs. (Well apart from Happy of course, but back then his voice and singing style was completely different)

Date: June 30, 2017 15:47

matxil
maumau

Yes, those and the more soul based stuff he did on his solo albums are my favourites too. He's not so good with more uptempo rock n roll songs. (Well apart from Happy of course, but back then his voice and singing style was completely different)

Blues In The Morning works really well, though.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 30, 2017 15:50

Wow. The idiocy has really ramped up in this one. Awesome.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 30, 2017 15:54

Rip This
Ronnie Woods solo material is awesome...his Achilles heel is that he can't sing....imagine if he could....his grooves are awesome, and as usual so is his smoking guitar a pleasure....too bad that KR/MJ do not allow for the collaboration to evolve...they'd benefit from it greatly.

Why You Wanna Go Do And Do A Thing Like That For is very (recent) Dylanesque, ha ha - it's brilliant.

Date: June 30, 2017 15:57

DandelionPowderman
matxil
maumau

Blues In The Morning works really well, though.

No, I can't stand it. I always skip it.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 30, 2017 16:00

According to the Daily Mail (yes, take it with a grain of salt) Keith is back in the studio, this time in NY.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: June 30, 2017 17:12

Cristiano Radtke
According to the Daily Mail (yes, take it with a grain of salt) Keith is back in the studio, this time in NY.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Great news. I thought the same when I saw the picture of Mick from NYC a few days ago.

Normally they do final overdubs and mixing in NYC.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 30, 2017 17:41

Don't feel like re-litigating the past--that was a lot of fun the 1st time around when X-eyed Heart came out--so will try to stay at least a bit on topic.

While its essential charms continue to elude, even mystify me, I can see that there are certain elements of production, of instrumentation, of sound that might translate well to the Supposed Album. I love especially the acoustic guitars on X-eyed; they have such texture. There's a feeling of laid-back space, of territory for the music to play in. The Stones could do much worse than incorporate those elements into the Supposed Album.

I realized in my most recent tour of Keith's record over the past 24 hrs that my major problem with it is that it never quite ... gets there. It's melodies, for example, don't resolve into anything memorable. The grooves begin to tease the mind as if something is going to happen, to turn, to catch you up, but the hooks now elude Keith in the twilight of his years. "Just a Gift," for example, meanders, flirts with something, and only catches any kind of fire once Keith shuts up and the 'thats alright/that's alright' outro kicks in, which is lovely.

(By contrast, Mick's latter-day melodies tend to over-resolve, often in trite or too simple ways. It's almost like as songwriters they have the opposite problems!)

But, again, it seems that X-eyed does offer a way forward for the band. While the prospect of a multimillionaire white boy channeling the music of long-dead black men (most of whom died much younger than he is today, true victims of lives that were 'hard') from the immaculately kept emerald green lawns of his Connecticut estate might seem ridiculous ... still, this is the band's demo now, and it is what made Blue & Lonesome the (relative success it was: the latte-sipping NPR/CBS Sunday Morning crowd. They'll lap up any new Stones record so long as it's marketed as an authentic throwback to their legacy, a credible "branded" roar from these lions in winter.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 30, 2017 18:38

Wow that's a brilliant breakdown Long Beach. Opposite "problems" as writers are unified strengths when they worked together more organically and tempered each other's ideas and inclinations. A songwriting TEAM as a matter of fact. Not that much unlike other legendary songwriting teams. ?

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: June 30, 2017 18:59

LongBeachArena - I don’t know how you can say that Blue and Lonesome was merely a “moderate success” the record was a smash all around the world. It was the type of record the general public has wanted (nobody wants to hear 75 year olds trying to compete w/Katy Perry + Taylor Swift) the Stones to do for decades and the sales prove the point.

B&L sold two million copies in an era where people no longer buy albums. That number is probably equal to selling 6/7 million records 25 years ago. I believe that it reached number one in nearly 30 countries and was one of the best selling records released in 2016...Not bad for a band who’s average age is 73 years old...What else do want from them from a commercial perspective?

[www.worldmusicawards.com]

[www.officialcharts.com]

[www.wzxl.com]

Date: June 30, 2017 19:06

James Kirk
LongBeachArena - I don’t know how you can say that Blue and Lonesome was merely a “moderate success” the record was a smash all around the world. It was the type of record the general public has wanted (nobody wants to hear 75 year olds trying to compete w/Katy Perry + Taylor Swift) the Stones to do for decades and the sales prove the point.

B&L sold two million copies in an era where people no longer buy albums. That number is probably equal to selling 6/7 million records 25 years ago. I believe that it reached number one in nearly 30 countries and was one of the best selling records released in 2016...Not bad for a band who’s average age is 73 years old...What else do want from them from a commercial perspective?

[www.officialcharts.com]

[www.wzxl.com]

+1

Although LB came up with some interesting reflections.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 30, 2017 19:07

Yeah, great breakdown by LongBeach.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 30, 2017 19:18

Cristiano Radtke

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

smileys with beer
We want this f#@#€ album!!!!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 30, 2017 19:21

henrik87
Cristiano Radtke

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Great news. I thought the same when I saw the picture of Mick from NYC a few days ago.

Normally they do final overdubs and mixing in NYC.

thumbs up

Date: June 30, 2017 20:14

James Kirk

[www.officialcharts.com]

[www.wzxl.com]

The sales of Blue & Lonesome were indeed impressive ... and nearly completely irrelevant. The industry has moved on. Within a decade or less there won't even be physical product released. Streaming is where it's at, where real money is made, where listeners gather to find new music and listen to the music they love. Nothing wrong with album or download 'sales'--but in the scheme of things as I've said before, having a bestselling record nowadays is akin to being #1 on the sheet music charts back at the dawn of the lp area: it's nice but it really doesn't matter.

What I can't prove about Blue & Lonesome, but what I believe to be true: even people who bought it don't listen to it. It was a branded holiday period doorstop. (Engaging in considerable hyperbole here to make a point, of course.)

In answer to your bolded question above: I don't expect anything more from them from a commercial perspective.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 30, 2017 21:49

Cristiano Radtke

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Ahh don't you just love him. Keef just puts a smile on my face, the old Devil. smoking smiley

Looks Like Keith is putting a lot of energy into this album, recently Ronnie and Charlie said that Keith is the driving force these days.
I just hope he hangs around when the final production and mixing of this album takes place. I feel he has neglected the finishing touches in recent decades, Mick seems to take over and drown Keith out of the mix as much as he can. That's why we keep ending up with Mick solo Stones albums.

Come on Keith stay the course this time me beauty. smileys with beer

Is that Charlie in Keith's mirror glasses ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-30 21:50 by stone4ever.

Date: June 30, 2017 21:59

Not Charlie smiling smiley

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 30, 2017 22:03

DandelionPowderman
Not Charlie smiling smiley

I know i was just fooling around smoking smiley

Date: June 30, 2017 22:12

stone4ever
I just hope he hangs around when the final production and mixing of this album takes place. I feel he has neglected the finishing touches in recent decades, Mick seems to take over and drown Keith out of the mix as much as he can. That's why we keep ending up with Mick solo Stones albums.

Come on Keith stay the course this time me beauty. smileys with beer

FREE KEITH!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home