Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 25, 2017 21:38

IanBillen
Either the are hiding it and the album is coming along slowly .. but very nicely in that process.... or The album is not going so well...

There is an evident lack of getting down to biz on it.. unless it is already done after this last session.... ?

Remember.. we really dont what happened there? We need to wait until Mick .. or Don Was or perhaps even Charlie say something more concrete. They are of the most reliable without exaggerations.

Ian

Ronnie is notorious for spilling the beans on most Stones related happenings, so keep your eyes and ears on him. thumbs up

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: June 25, 2017 22:17

Hairball
IanBillen
Either the are hiding it and the album is coming along slowly .. but very nicely in that process.... or The album is not going so well...

There is an evident lack of getting down to biz on it.. unless it is already done after this last session.... ?

Remember.. we really dont what happened there? We need to wait until Mick .. or Don Was or perhaps even Charlie say something more concrete. They are of the most reliable without exaggerations.

Ian

Ronnie is notorious for spilling the beans on most Stones related happenings, so keep your eyes and ears on him. thumbs up

Yes you are right.. def ....I know.. but at times he says things that are exaggerated or over blown (good things about the band).

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 26, 2017 00:04

gotdablouse
BowieStone
doitywoik

I guess that Mick and Keith's Paris 2002 leftovers ended up on ABB and Ronnie's tracks ended up on I Feel Like Playing.

I guess not. Those 2002 sessions sound like one of the worst sessions they ever done. And leftovers from that (the released songs were already poor) for another album? No, they rightfully abandoned it.
I don't see any connection between ABB/IFLP and 2002 sessions.

There have been comments here by some who have heard these tapes that LIND and DTF were there and of course Keith's "Trouble" too. No mention of Ronnie though whose doesn't appear to have been asked to contribute since DW. That track of his on Foxes was pretty horrible too, could have been from 1982 though.

When I was with the Stones at Ocean Way in '97, Ronnie told me "they won't do any of my songs. No filter!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 26, 2017 05:15

stone4ever
If Mick said he wrote the riff to Jumping Jack Flash there are many here who would believe it. Micks claims are good for a laugh, but Mick is so obviously jealous of Keith's contributions, and he doesn't hide it very well imho.
Any guitarist can see that Mick is a complete novice, no way did Mick write the Guitar theme on Don't Stop, sorry but that's all Ronnie, Mick can't play like that and why would he when he has Ronnie in the Studio.

And that statement is so obviously pure nonsense, even downright ridiculous. Why should Mick be jealous of anybody? It's not that he's an idiot, not capable of anything else than doing halfway decent vocals to Keith's fantastic songs.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 26, 2017 06:46

stone4ever
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli
Funny story from the 2002 recording sessions: While the band was working on some stuff, they hit a wall, stopped, and Keith said to Ronnie, "Well, what do you got?" On the spot, Ronnie pulled a tape out of his back pocket. He doesn't lack for ideas, that's for sure. And I'd wager that many of them are at least worth exploring.

Wondering if the tape he pulled out contained Don't Stop! eye popping smiley

So they hit a wall and could only come up with three (or was it four?) new tunes for Fourty Licks.
Hope this current situation isn't deja vu.

'Don't Stop' it's 100% Mick's demo! smiling smiley

Yeah a dismal tune, but wonder what Ronnie had on his tape? Any worthy ideas worth exploring as MelBelli mentioned??
During live performances of Don't Stop, Ronnie had that cool guitar cam gadget thing-a-ma-jiggy for his solo...maybe he had some minor input with the initial writing?

I doubt that Mick wrote the cool guitar theme Ronnie plays on DS. Reminds me of the themes on Crazy Mama and Highwire. Good stuff!

Kind of agree, but can't be so sure...after all Mick supposedly wrote the cool riff for Bitch according to some people!
And maybe Mick was channeling Ronnie when he wrote the mediocre Don't Stop riff!
This one's debatable...any quotes or sources would help get to the bottom of it.

If Mick said he wrote the riff to Jumping Jack Flash there are many here who would believe it. Micks claims are good for a laugh, but Mick is so obviously jealous of Keith's contributions, and he doesn't hide it very well imho.
Any guitarist can see that Mick is a complete novice, no way did Mick write the Guitar theme on Don't Stop, sorry but that's all Ronnie, Mick can't play like that and why would he when he has Ronnie in the Studio.

Don't Stop
TrackTalk
[www.timeisonourside.com]

For me, doing a solo album or a Stones album is all the same, with one proviso: that when I'm writing for the Rolling Stones I don't mind if the song sounds like the ones the Stones do, whereas if I'm writing, but not recording, with the Rolling Stones, I don't want the song to contain too many of the clichés that one associates with the Rolling Stones, so I try quite hard to avoid them. Before the release of Forty Licks, I wrote Don't Stop in the same period that I was writing the songs for my solo album, and I just put it to one side and said to myself, This sounds very much like the Rolling Stones to me. It might be very useful in the coming months, but I'll leave it for now and I won't record it because I think it's going to be better for the Stones.
- Mick Jagger, 2003

It's basically all Mick. He had the song when we got to Paris to record. It was a matter of me finding the guitar licks to go behind the song, rather than it just chugging along. We don't see a lot of each other - I live in America, he lives in England. So when we get together, we see what ideas each has got: I'm stuck on the bridge. Well, I have this bit that might work. A lot of what Mick and I do is fixing and touching up, writing the song in bits, assembling it on the spot. In Don't Stop, my job was the fairy dust.
- Keith Richards, 2002

(It's) kind of a stock Mick riff. It's quite a simple song. Mick had the words and the phrasing, which was good, and Keith and I were kind of, All right, we'll give it a try. It ended up sounding like another Start Me Up, out of that stable.
- Ron Wood, October 2002

Don't Stop is a classic Mick song. I could see that Mick had designed it to come across well in large venues, a Start Me Up-style crowd song, with a simple kind of message and a straightforward sructure. Because Mick is playing guitar, there isn't so much room for Keith, but he did manage to find a way of stabbing away at it, so that he was semi-happy with the result. I took on the stronger guitar part, because I was covering for Keith and also delivering what Mick was expecting from the way he had written the song: he wanted a trademark Woody guitar solo.
- Ron Wood, 2003

Don't Stop is the single-y one.
- Mick Jagger, 2002

Don't Stop is probably not as good a song as something like Satisfaction, but as long as it fits in the show it works. What is interesting is that unlike those songs from the 1960s, it will never, in our lifetime, get played as much and acquire the patina of age. But a lot of the songs that we play live were not important songs when they came out... (A) tune like Don't Stop might - or might not - one day acquire the same patina. What is certain is that if you don't play a song onstage, it will never have a chance to be anything.
- Mick Jagger, 2003

I can probably live without Don't Stop, although I enjoyed playing it - it's a pretty little thing and you can sizzle it off, but there's not much substance to it.
- Keith Richards, 2003

Date: June 26, 2017 07:58

stone4ever
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli
Funny story from the 2002 recording sessions: While the band was working on some stuff, they hit a wall, stopped, and Keith said to Ronnie, "Well, what do you got?" On the spot, Ronnie pulled a tape out of his back pocket. He doesn't lack for ideas, that's for sure. And I'd wager that many of them are at least worth exploring.

So they hit a wall and could only come up with three (or was it four?) new tunes for Fourty Licks.

Yeah a dismal tune, but wonder what Ronnie had on his tape? Any worthy ideas worth exploring as MelBelli mentioned??
During live performances of Don't Stop, Ronnie had that cool guitar cam gadget thing-a-ma-jiggy for his solo...maybe he had some minor input with the initial writing?

I doubt that Mick wrote the cool guitar theme Ronnie plays on DS. Reminds me of the themes on Crazy Mama and Highwire. Good stuff!

Kind of agree, but can't be so sure...after all Mick supposedly wrote the cool riff for Bitch according to some people!
And maybe Mick was channeling Ronnie when he wrote the mediocre Don't Stop riff!
This one's debatable...any quotes or sources would help get to the bottom of it.

no idea what you are on about. mick wrote the lyrics, melody and riff. the riff is pretty stock for someone who had been making music for 40 years. that's what can be copyrighted but of course keith gets added. the stuff Ronnie added is part of arranging

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 26, 2017 09:39

keefriffhard4life
stone4ever
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

no idea what you are on about. mick wrote the lyrics, melody and riff. the riff is pretty stock for someone who had been making music for 40 years. that's what can be copyrighted but of course keith gets added. the stuff Ronnie added is part of arranging

Its the generalization that Keith had no part in so many tracks over the years, i'm referring to songs like Bitch. Obviously Keith had nothing to do with Don't Stop, the point i was making is that the great sounding solo was Ronnie. If you have no idea what i'm on about try to keep up mate, everyone else knows what i'm on about.

Date: June 26, 2017 10:56

stone4ever
keefriffhard4life
stone4ever
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

Its the generalization that Keith had no part in so many tracks over the years, i'm referring to songs like Bitch. Obviously Keith had nothing to do with Don't Stop, the point i was making is that the great sounding solo was Ronnie. If you have no idea what i'm on about try to keep up mate, everyone else knows what i'm on about.

you are trying to say Ronnie should get a writing credit for a solo which I pointed out is entirely false. that's part of arranging. Ronnie added a solo over an already formed song that meet the requirements for a copyright. i'm sure the forum members here can list dozens if not hundreds of songs where a writing credit isn't given for adding a solo to a song. I got your point but sadly you are way off which is why I asked what you were on about and why others posted quotes showing you that Ronnie had no part in writing the song

Date: June 26, 2017 12:06

keefriffhard4life
stone4ever
keefriffhard4life
stone4ever
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

you are trying to say Ronnie should get a writing credit for a solo which I pointed out is entirely false. that's part of arranging. Ronnie added a solo over an already formed song that meet the requirements for a copyright. i'm sure the forum members here can list dozens if not hundreds of songs where a writing credit isn't given for adding a solo to a song. I got your point but sadly you are way off which is why I asked what you were on about and why others posted quotes showing you that Ronnie had no part in writing the song

I didn't say Ronnie should have song writing credit's on DS, I just pointed out that the whole song wasn't Mick's. Ronnie plays a part in that song, but as you say it doesn't warrant royalties.

What is unfair is that so many song's will say Jagger Richards when perhaps Mick or Keith might not have had as much imput as Ronnie on it. But it will always say Jagger Richards, accasionsly Wood will be added. I just wish that Mick and Keith separated writing credit's on each other's tracks when clearly only one of them wrote a particular track. If Mick only sings on one of Keiths songs or when Keith only plays on one of Mick's songs. Over the years it would have made it so much easier for people to see who did what without it being down to suggestion or guesswork.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-26 12:15 by stone4ever.

Date: June 26, 2017 14:06

stone4ever
keefriffhard4life
stone4ever
keefriffhard4life
stone4ever
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

I didn't say Ronnie should have song writing credit's on DS, I just pointed out that the whole song wasn't Mick's. Ronnie plays a part in that song, but as you say it doesn't warrant royalties.

What is unfair is that so many song's will say Jagger Richards when perhaps Mick or Keith might not have had as much imput as Ronnie on it. But it will always say Jagger Richards, accasionsly Wood will be added. I just wish that Mick and Keith separated writing credit's on each other's tracks when clearly only one of them wrote a particular track. If Mick only sings on one of Keiths songs or when Keith only plays on one of Mick's songs. Over the years it would have made it so much easier for people to see who did what without it being down to suggestion or guesswork.

I guess this is Mick and Keith taking all the glory (and the money) all the time. Taylor and Brian got the same treatment, it's nothing new.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 26, 2017 16:49

stone4ever
I just wish that Mick and Keith separated writing credit's on each other's tracks when clearly only one of them wrote a particular track. If Mick only sings on one of Keiths songs or when Keith only plays on one of Mick's songs. Over the years it would have made it so much easier for people to see who did what without it being down to suggestion or guesswork.

Brilliant--that would have completely eliminated the need for fan boards!

It's so curious to me, and I know I'm beating a rotting carcass of a horse here, but exactly why is this so important to a certain vocal subsection of fandom? Do Mick fans not have enough evidence of his glory and vitality? Do Keith fans feel that their man has been so slighted as to have his genius tarnished? It's a fascinating phenomenon that even 90% of Stones fans care nothing about.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: June 26, 2017 16:59

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever
I just wish that Mick and Keith separated writing credit's on each other's tracks when clearly only one of them wrote a particular track. If Mick only sings on one of Keiths songs or when Keith only plays on one of Mick's songs. Over the years it would have made it so much easier for people to see who did what without it being down to suggestion or guesswork.

It's so curious to me, and I know I'm beating a rotting carcass of a horse here, but exactly why is this so important to a certain vocal subsection of fandom? Do Mick fans not have enough evidence of his glory and vitality? Do Keith fans feel that their man has been so slighted as to have his genius tarnished? It's a fascinating phenomenon that even 90% of Stones fans care nothing about.

If we've learned anything about the internet over the last 20 years, it's that it intensifies and magnifies the obsessions of vocal minorities.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 26, 2017 18:05

MelBelli
LongBeachArena72
stone4ever

If we've learned anything about the internet over the last 20 years, it's that it intensifies and magnifies the obsessions of vocal minorities.

Nice......spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 26, 2017 20:28

LongBeachArena72
stone4ever

I would go further than that LB, i would say about 99 percent of fans don't give a rats ass who wrote what, they just love this band.
I'm firmly in that 1 percent who does care, i wan't to know exactly who wrote what.
If its a song like All about You or Memory Motel ( songs that take me back to my first love ) i want to know if Keith wrote it or Mick wrote it, why they wrote it and who the song was about.
I don't know why it should matter but it does.
I'm not a nerdy anorak person until it comes to this band.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 26, 2017 23:45

Count me as one who is interested in their songwriting process.
Don't care who is credited, but enjoy hearing or reading how the songs were written, arranged, produced and performed.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 26, 2017 23:57

stone4ever
stone4ever
keefriffhard4life
stone4ever
keefriffhard4life
stone4ever
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

I guess this is Mick and Keith taking all the glory (and the money) all the time. Taylor and Brian got the same treatment, it's nothing new.
Mick and Keith haven't done any special songwriting together the last years. Has been mostly either / or. If Ronnie or Mick T plays a guitar solo, they neither get songwriting credits. It is assumed that they can play a guitar solo. Song writing credits is for the basic song / melody and lyrics.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 27, 2017 10:14

wonderboy
Don't care who is credited, but enjoy hearing or reading how the songs were written, arranged, produced and performed.

Me too. I adds to my enjoyment of the songs to "visualise" the band working on the music.
I don't have a favourite Stone or any preference to "Mick-songs" or "Keith-songs" as long
as my favourite band is playing it.

And I have to add, after listening to Ronnies album I feel like playing, that this young
fellow has some mighty good ideas about creating songs. Give him a chance to bring his
ideas to the studio and play with them!
And not because I like Ronnies songs better than those of others, but because I think
they (and we) can all benefit from the multiple talents in the band.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 27, 2017 10:36

marcovandereijk
wonderboy

Me too. I adds to my enjoyment of the songs to "visualise" the band working on the music.
I don't have a favourite Stone or any preference to "Mick-songs" or "Keith-songs" as long
as my favourite band is playing it.

And I have to add, after listening to Ronnies album I feel like playing, that this young
fellow has some mighty good ideas about creating songs
. Give him a chance to bring his
ideas to the studio and play with them!
And not because I like Ronnies songs better than those of others, but because I think
they (and we) can all benefit from the multiple talents in the band.

thumbs up

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: June 27, 2017 12:57

Mark Wells, who played with Ronnie and produced some of his stuff actually played guitar on Don't Stop. He was paid but not credited.

He told me it was him, Mick, Ron and Micks engineer at Rons place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-27 13:00 by Deathgod.

Date: June 27, 2017 13:30

Deathgod
Mark Wells, who played with Ronnie and produced some of his stuff actually played guitar on Don't Stop. He was paid but not credited.

He told me it was him, Mick, Ron and Micks engineer at Rons place.

Have you been able to spot a fourth guitar track? Or perhaps Wells smoothened out Ronnie's theme-solo?

Sounds unlikely that it is Wells starting the tune in the right channel with that open G guitar on Keith's track (which is pretty uneven and unpredictably played as it is).

Or he could have cleaned up Mick's rhythm track?

Many possibilities smiling smiley

Thanks for the info, Peter thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-27 13:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: June 27, 2017 13:38

I may have misinterpreted what Mark told me, he could have actually recorded or produced the track.
I found our convo and his words : 'I actually helped on that album. We recorded "Don't Stop" guitar solo at Ronnie's place.'

And 'Mick, Ronnie, Mick's engineer (can't remember his name) and myself one afternoon.'
And 'Mick can play guitar he's pretty good'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-27 13:40 by Deathgod.

Date: June 27, 2017 13:46

Deathgod
I may have misinterpreted what Mark told me, he could have actually recorded or produced the track.
I found our convo and his words : 'I actually helped on that album. We recorded "Don't Stop" guitar solo at Ronnie's place.'

And 'Mick, Ronnie, Mick's engineer (can't remember his name) and myself one afternoon.'

That sounds more likely. Could the other engineer have been (the one and only) Matt Clifford?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 27, 2017 16:23

Is there a thread about the new record the stones are supposedly working on?

Date: June 27, 2017 16:29

Yeah, it's here.

Date: June 27, 2017 16:43

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 27, 2017 17:51

LongBeachArena72
Here's a better link.

"There's a skirmish of wit between them"

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 27, 2017 19:07

What about the supossed new album??

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 27, 2017 20:13

Deathgod

i bet...your statement will blow many a mind away.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: June 27, 2017 22:36

No news, good news...smoking smileysmoking smiley

Date: June 27, 2017 22:53

KeithNacho
What about the supossed new album??

They're missing a real oppty if they don't call this record "The Supposed New Album by The Rolling Stones."

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home