Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 24, 2017 21:00

hopkins
I'm sure they are reasonably cordial mates personally and for work.but actually they are pretty cynical when it comes to Ron they never bothered to nurture his obvious gifts and give him opportunities to really foundationally merge and meld as a creative musician and writer and to whatever extent a singer.they have scrapes the bottom of the barrel and then somewith their material over the years. There is no way that having Ron contribute more organically would be anything other than at least some refreshingingredients.
his songwriting with faces and the early Stewart albums is more than legit.they are their own worst enemies. I guess we should just be glad that they haven't done that to any other band members over the years, because that would be just ridiculous.

How do we know that Mick and Keith don't use Ronnie's gift's, it could just be a case of he doesn't get the songwriting credits he deserves, it was the same with Brian, Bill and Mick Taylor.
Ronnie has always been insecure within the band, he is not the sort of guy to say anything in case he jeopardized his future within the band. Its like he just bottled it all up and drowned in the booze. The Glimmers were forgiving of his drunken lackluster live performances, but they would not have been so forgiving had he wanted a larger piece of the cake when it comes to songwriting credits.
I don't know that any of this is true, but when i look at the Taylor years and the way the band sounded, and then the Ronnie years and the way the band sounded, i would say its a given that Ronnie and Taylor have given more input towards writing than the credits suggest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-24 21:02 by stone4ever.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: June 24, 2017 21:10

Funny story from the 2002 recording sessions: While the band was working on some stuff, they hit a wall, stopped, and Keith said to Ronnie, "Well, what do you got?" On the spot, Ronnie pulled a tape out of his back pocket. He doesn't lack for ideas, that's for sure. And I'd wager that many of them are at least worth exploring.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 24, 2017 21:21

MelBelli
Funny story from the 2002 recording sessions: While the band was working on some stuff, they hit a wall, stopped, and Keith said to Ronnie, "Well, what do you got?" On the spot, Ronnie pulled a tape out of his back pocket. He doesn't lack for ideas, that's for sure. And I'd wager that many of them are at least worth exploring.

...so they 'hit a wall' in 2002 too!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 24, 2017 21:31

MelBelli

Wondering if the tape he pulled out contained Don't Stop! eye popping smiley

So they hit a wall and could only come up with three (or was it four?) new tunes for Fourty Licks.
Hope this current situation isn't deja vu.

Posted by: heinz57 ()
Date: June 24, 2017 22:14

A few more Ronnie Wood classics - Far East Man (with George Harrison), Cindy Incidentally, Lost Paraguayos, Ooh La La, Pool Hall Richard, You can Make me Dance, Sing or anything, Josephine, Gasoline Alley. Also co-wrote No Use in Crying for the Stones classic album Tattoo You.

I think he has something to contribute musically to the Stones.

Date: June 24, 2017 22:55

Hairball
MelBelli

So they hit a wall and could only come up with three (or was it four?) new tunes for Fourty Licks.

'Don't Stop' it's 100% Mick's demo! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-24 22:56 by KRiffhard.

Date: June 24, 2017 23:18

KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

Yeah a dismal tune, but wonder what Ronnie had on his tape? Any worthy ideas worth exploring as MelBelli mentioned??
During live performances of Don't Stop, Ronnie had that cool guitar cam gadget thing-a-ma-jiggy for his solo...maybe he had some minor input with the initial writing?

Date: June 24, 2017 23:25

Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

Yeah a dismal tune, but wonder what Ronnie had on his tape? Any worthy ideas worth exploring as MelBelli mentioned??
During live performances of Don't Stop, Ronnie had that cool guitar cam gadget thing-a-ma-jiggy for his solo...maybe he had some minor input with the initial writing?

I doubt that Mick wrote the cool guitar theme Ronnie plays on DS. Reminds me of the themes on Crazy Mama and Highwire. Good stuff!

Date: June 25, 2017 00:35

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

I doubt that Mick wrote the cool guitar theme Ronnie plays on DS. Reminds me of the themes on Crazy Mama and Highwire. Good stuff!

Kind of agree, but can't be so sure...after all Mick supposedly wrote the cool riff for Bitch according to some people!
And maybe Mick was channeling Ronnie when he wrote the mediocre Don't Stop riff!
This one's debatable...any quotes or sources would help get to the bottom of it.

Date: June 25, 2017 00:49

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

Kind of agree, but can't be so sure...after all Mick supposedly wrote the cool riff for Bitch according to some people!
And maybe Mick was channeling Ronnie when he wrote the mediocre Don't Stop riff!
This one's debatable...any quotes or sources would help get to the bottom of it.

"Don't Stop is a classic Mick song. I could see that Mick had designed it to come across well in large venues, a Start Me Up-style crowd song, with a simple kind of message and a straightforward sructure. Because Mick is playing guitar, there isn't so much room for Keith, but he did manage to find a way of stabbing away at it, so that he was semi-happy with the result. I took on the stronger guitar part, because I was covering for Keith and also delivering what Mick was expecting from the way he had written the song: he wanted a trademark Woody guitar solo.
- Ron Wood, 2003
[www.timeisonourside.com]

Date: June 25, 2017 00:52

i was about to post that 2003 wood quote about "don't stop"

Date: June 25, 2017 00:57

KRiffhard
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

"Don't Stop is a classic Mick song. I could see that Mick had designed it to come across well in large venues, a Start Me Up-style crowd song, with a simple kind of message and a straightforward sructure. Because Mick is playing guitar, there isn't so much room for Keith, but he did manage to find a way of stabbing away at it, so that he was semi-happy with the result. I took on the stronger guitar part, because I was covering for Keith and also delivering what Mick was expecting from the way he had written the song: he wanted a trademark Woody guitar solo.
- Ron Wood, 2003

Thanks KRiffhard. thumbs up

Date: June 25, 2017 01:09

while we are talking about "don't stop", a song which i like but no it wouldn't make me list of top 30 stones songs, part of the song originated from the solo mick sessions for goddess in the doorway and was set aside as it sounded more like a stones song

Date: June 25, 2017 01:22

keefriffhard4life
while we are talking about "don't stop", a song which i like but no it wouldn't make me list of top 30 stones songs, part of the song originated from the solo mick sessions for goddess in the doorway and was set aside as it sounded more like a stones song

Ugghh...that explains it.
Best to get this back on topic though! thumbs up

Still worried about them "hitting the wall"...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 25, 2017 01:35

Hairball
Well, the Allman Brothers had a late period album called Hittin' the Note, so the Stones could have one called Hittin' the Wall.

They could just write songs about how they can't write songs anymore, translate that so that it's supposedly about relationships that just can't move forward no matter how many times and how hard they try, and there you have it -- Hittin' the Wall, a finished album that is secretly about how they can no longer finish an album.

Date: June 25, 2017 01:36

Hairball
keefriffhard4life

Ugghh...that explains it.
Best to get this back on topic though! thumbs up

lol i guess it does but yes the song started out during those solo sessions.

btw i always wondered how much, or should i say how little, of "god gave me everything" mick wrote. sounds like a kravitz tune and lenny plays most of the music for the song

Date: June 25, 2017 02:15

KRiffhard
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

- Ron Wood, 2003

Yes, that was the quote I had in mind.

Date: June 25, 2017 04:04

stonehearted
Hairball
Well, the Allman Brothers had a late period album called Hittin' the Note, so the Stones could have one called Hittin' the Wall.

They could just write songs about how they can't write songs anymore, translate that so that it's supposedly about relationships that just can't move forward no matter how many times and how hard they try, and there you have it -- Hittin' the Wall, a finished album that is secretly about how they can no longer finish an album.

Lol...and Keith could write a tune and title it "HIT THE WALL"...like a subtle jab in the same vein as You Don't Move Me filled with double meanings and innuendos.

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 25, 2017 06:01

England's Newest Wallhitters

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 25, 2017 06:07

(or Oldest)

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: June 25, 2017 06:07

The Paris 2002 sessions story (Keith asking Ronnie if he got any songs) was printed in the 50th anniversary book (forget the title). Ronnie said they recorded an album's worth of tracks (and seemingly also one -or some - of his tunes) and just would have needed one or two more weeks to polish them for release (which they didn't have, of course...).

I guess that Mick and Keith's Paris 2002 leftovers ended up on ABB and Ronnie's tracks ended up on I Feel Like Playing.

If so, still a pity. Would have loved to hear Ronnie's track(s) played by the Stones.

Musically, I never understood why the Glims didn't give Ronnie more room in the songwriting. He has some great stuff on his solo albums. Financially, I do understand.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 25, 2017 06:17

Mick has been in NYC seeing his new baby. Life is hard. Lol

Date: June 25, 2017 06:17

z
England's Newest Wallhitters

Exile on Wall Street

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 25, 2017 13:20

doitywoik

I guess that Mick and Keith's Paris 2002 leftovers ended up on ABB and Ronnie's tracks ended up on I Feel Like Playing.

I guess not. Those 2002 sessions sound like one of the worst sessions they ever done. And leftovers from that (the released songs were already poor) for another album? No, they rightfully abandoned it.
I don't see any connection between ABB/IFLP and 2002 sessions.

Date: June 25, 2017 14:26

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

If Mick said he wrote the riff to Jumping Jack Flash there are many here who would believe it. Micks claims are good for a laugh, but Mick is so obviously jealous of Keith's contributions, and he doesn't hide it very well imho.
Any guitarist can see that Mick is a complete novice, no way did Mick write the Guitar theme on Don't Stop, sorry but that's all Ronnie, Mick can't play like that and why would he when he has Ronnie in the Studio.

Date: June 25, 2017 17:21

stone4ever
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

If Mick said he wrote the riff to Jumping Jack Flash there are many here who would believe it. Micks claims are good for a laugh, but Mick is so obviously jealous of Keith's contributions, and he doesn't hide it very well imho.
Any guitarist can see that Mick is a complete novice, no way did Mick write the Guitar theme on Don't Stop, sorry but that's all Ronnie, Mick can't play like that and why would he when he has Ronnie in the Studio.

I think he meant the opening riff, not the Ronnie-theme. Only Ronnie comes up with that kind of stuff in the Stones.

Date: June 25, 2017 18:45

DandelionPowderman
stone4ever
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

I think he meant the opening riff, not the Ronnie-theme. Only Ronnie comes up with that kind of stuff in the Stones.

thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 25, 2017 20:16

BowieStone
doitywoik

I guess not. Those 2002 sessions sound like one of the worst sessions they ever done. And leftovers from that (the released songs were already poor) for another album? No, they rightfully abandoned it.
I don't see any connection between ABB/IFLP and 2002 sessions.

There have been comments here by some who have heard these tapes that LIND and DTF were there and of course Keith's "Trouble" too. No mention of Ronnie though whose doesn't appear to have been asked to contribute since DW. That track of his on Foxes was pretty horrible too, could have been from 1982 though.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: June 25, 2017 21:23

stone4ever
DandelionPowderman
stone4ever
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
MelBelli

thumbs up

Indeed I was referring to the opening riff - sorry to confuse. IMO, Mick's guitar playing skills are fairly limited to the most basic rhythm,
along with an occasional choppy riff taken from Keith's school of playing. Whatever Keith taught him, he's attempted to utilize, but hardly ever successfully imo.
He even looks awkward holding the guitar in concert...just too serious...maybe it's because I'd rather see him singing, dancing around, and spazzing out across the stage which is his true strength.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: June 25, 2017 21:26

Either the are hiding it and the album is coming along slowly .. but very nicely in that process.... or The album is not going so well...

There is an evident lack of getting down to biz on it.. unless it is already done after this last session.... ?

Remember.. we really dont <know> what happened there? We need to wait until Mick .. or Don Was or perhaps even Charlie say something more concrete. They are of the most reliable without exaggerations.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-25 21:29 by IanBillen.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home