Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Date: June 23, 2017 06:34

Hairball
IanBillen
georgelicks
IanBillen
Now tell us George Licks.. you have been absent during all this studio work .. What have you heard about said album .. its content.. and any release time frame yet?

The band is still working on the album, at least 12 new songs were recorded during the past 18 months but it looks as some of the material lacks 'focus on it', people at Universal talked about some good stuff and some uneven songs.

There's no pressure at all to get the thing ready and done yet, maybe we can get a new single released during the early fall, that's the rumour in Universal.

Today, June 23, chances for the album released this year is 70/30 NO, it was 50/50 in April so we can do the maths...

A single from the album or just a single song? hmmmmm?

Seems like they need a bit more time ... I tell ya .. they better do this one right.. being as they have had plenty of time by the time its ready

Things don't seem as productive and fluent as I thought they would be, and the notion of a "happy family" in the studio I envisioned is probably fictional.
Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall, but then again it might be get pretty nasty in there...eye popping smiley...safest thing is to just be patient and hope for the best.

I don't think its really been a happy family for 20 years and if you hear stories it never was as smooth as people think.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 23, 2017 08:49

Hairball
...And the Apollo tribute show to Merry Clayton...Keith didn't sound very pretty to put it mildly.

Wow. I had forgotten about that. Just slightly painful.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: June 23, 2017 09:07

I believe Mick and Keith will follow Chuck Berry's example and release the next album when they are 90 years old. This would put the release date at Christmas 2033.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 23, 2017 09:10

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
IanBillen
georgelicks
IanBillen
Now tell us George Licks.. you have been absent during all this studio work .. What have you heard about said album .. its content.. and any release time frame yet?

The band is still working on the album, at least 12 new songs were recorded during the past 18 months but it looks as some of the material lacks 'focus on it', people at Universal talked about some good stuff and some uneven songs.

There's no pressure at all to get the thing ready and done yet, maybe we can get a new single released during the early fall, that's the rumour in Universal.

Today, June 23, chances for the album released this year is 70/30 NO, it was 50/50 in April so we can do the maths...

Seems like they need a bit more time ... I tell ya .. they better do this one right.. being as they have had plenty of time by the time its ready

Things don't seem as productive and fluent as I thought they would be, and the notion of a "happy family" in the studio I envisioned is probably fictional.
Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall, but then again it might be get pretty nasty in there...eye popping smiley...safest thing is to just be patient and hope for the best.

I don't think its really been a happy family for 20 years and if you hear stories it never was as smooth as people think.

Well more like 35+ years or even more that it's been rough, but I was being hopeful that after the success of B&L they would be on better terms - at least in a working relationship.

Date: June 23, 2017 09:30

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
IanBillen
georgelicks
IanBillen

Well more like 35+ years or even more that it's been rough, but I was being hopeful that after the success of B&L they would be on better terms - at least in a working relationship.

yeah but even as far back as exile on mainstreet it seems mick and keith were very different in the studio

Date: June 23, 2017 09:34

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
IanBillen
georgelicks
IanBillen

yeah but even as far back as exile on mainstreet it seems mick and keith were very different in the studio

OK maybe even as far back as early childhood then. There was a split in their relationship before they became reacquainted on the train platform.

Date: June 23, 2017 10:01

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
IanBillen
georgelicks
IanBillen

OK maybe even as far back as early childhood then. There was a split in their relationship before they became reacquainted on the train platform.

ever watched stones in exile? keith and mick would show up at different times. show up on days when they knew the other wouldn't. charlie or bill even said mick and keith would make their own mixes of the songs then it would be a debate over which mix was the one that should be used

Date: June 23, 2017 10:23

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
IanBillen
georgelicks
IanBillen

ever watched stones in exile? keith and mick would show up at different times. show up on days when they knew the other wouldn't. charlie or bill even said mick and keith would make their own mixes of the songs then it would be a debate over which mix was the one that should be used

Have I ever watched Stones in Exile? I lived and breathed it when it came out!!!
But you first said "I don't think its really been a happy family for 20 years", and then I countered with 35+ years or more, and then you take it back to Exile which is 45 years ago (or 35+ years or more as I said),
and then I said they've had differences since childhood. So where is this all leading? Are we trying to build the largest quote box ever on IORR?

Date: June 23, 2017 10:52

I was saying the rift really started to show with bridges to Babylon. they had different producers, musicians, etc for the individual tracks in which they helped create. yes they always had tension before that but I think whatever the issues were with bridges to Babylon is probably the main reason behind lack of new material since then. at least before that pretty much ever 3 years or less we got a new album minus the early 90's solo album gap

Date: June 23, 2017 10:57

Hard to believe it's been 12 long years since a new album of originals!!!!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 23, 2017 13:15

to me it's both a reality check and a good sign that it's taking so long to finish the record.

reality check about the state of their creativity and the fact that it is more and more hard for them to join efforts to make new music. it's not coincidence that in 20 years they pull out just 2 records of new material and that it took 10 years for keith to complete CH.

the good sign, hitting the wall and trying to overcome it included, is that they seem to WANT to make it really hard and the success of BL I think have boosted that. these sparse but repeated relatively long sessions in the studio tell both the difficulties but also bode well for a record that sure they're taking care of putting together.

Result we dont know and de gustibus... I hope they do hit a mark somewhere in between BL and CH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-23 13:16 by maumau.

Date: June 23, 2017 13:25

I guess the main reason for it to take so long has more to do with finding time when they can meet up and work, rather than lack of inspiration.

Had they spent three months together in the studio they might have been finished by now, but they obviously prefer to do this in spurts.

Date: June 23, 2017 13:54

DandelionPowderman
I guess the main reason for it to take so long has more to do with finding time when they can meet up and work, rather than lack of inspiration.

Had they spent three months together in the studio they might have been finished by now, but they obviously prefer to do this in spurts.

mmm I think I disagree. The big picture is that if there was no shortage of inspiration they would have put out more new material in the last 20 years. Of course we're talking of people in their seventies with different lives and priorities, hard to combine. Still..

but worse of lack of inspiration is to be unaware of it and putting c*ap out fast, that's why I am vaguely oprimistic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-23 13:55 by maumau.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 23, 2017 15:03

Don't Mick and Keith usually have most of the album in the bag before they call in Ronnie and Charlie. IT'S DIFFERENT THIS TIME. That makes me optimistic. This feels like the whole band contributing opposed to the basic tracks being done before they all sit together. They were all together early on in the making of this album hence BAL. Could be that they are making it a few songs at a time like Keith did on Crosseyed Heart.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-23 15:09 by stone4ever.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 23, 2017 15:04

stone4ever
Don't Mick and Keith usually have most of the album in the bag before they call in Ronnie and Charlie. IT'S DIFFERENT THIS TIME. That makes me optimistic

True.
Jeroen

Date: June 23, 2017 15:06

I think we will get 3 or 4 new songs before the European Tour, on a cd-single or something. And the new album with the rest of the new songs, just before the 2018 UK Tour.
Jeroen

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 23, 2017 15:28

DandelionPowderman

Agreed. Good news is time was taken this summer to continue working(yes working) on the new album. My guess is more interesting news will be learned once the tour starts. As BV stated many pages ago the band has families and other responsibilites, but's it's obvious the Stones are sill important to them.....smileys with beer

Posted by: terry ()
Date: June 23, 2017 15:38

I thought it was reported earlier this year that mick n Keith
Spent a week together in a room recording.
Seems a strange thing to do if you don't get on with each other.
Also they have supposedly spent a week in grove studios.
I'm looking forward to the studio album, and it be nice to hear it,
Before god comes calling for me.....sighs.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 23, 2017 15:42

georgelicks

Thanks, as always, georgelicks.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 23, 2017 15:42

Didn't Jagger and Richards meet up in NYC for a week in February?

Re: Another album in 2017?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 23, 2017 15:45

Yes. > [iorr.org]

Date: June 23, 2017 15:49

maumau
DandelionPowderman

mmm I think I disagree. The big picture is that if there was no shortage of inspiration they would have put out more new material in the last 20 years. Of course we're talking of people in their seventies with different lives and priorities, hard to combine. Still..

but worse of lack of inspiration is to be unaware of it and putting c*ap out fast, that's why I am vaguely oprimistic

Could be both, of course. However, they have made an unfortunate habit out of spending little time together, both for tour rehearsals and studio recordings.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 23, 2017 16:01

They may use the first single as a trial balloon. Speaking of singles versus albums, the music still has to be good either way. John Mayer released a 3-4 songs at a time this year that eventually became a full album with the same songs and IMO they all sucked as singles and as a full album....lol Strategy is more a money grab I would think?? confused smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 23, 2017 16:22

corriecas
I think we will get 3 or 4 new songs before the European Tour, on a cd-single or something. And the new album with the rest of the new songs, just before the 2018 UK Tour.
Jeroen

Maybe you're right about the UK tour, but CD single? Who buys CD singles in 2017?
No way, 1 or 2 songs released on Spotify, that's the way to go.

Date: June 23, 2017 16:39

it would be a smart move to single out a number of songs before, along and after the tour before the release of the album. not a "cd single" of course which is something dead and gone, but single tracks for streaming services and why not lucrative vinyl edition for die hards
in a certain strange way it seems to me that the music market now has something similar to that of the early sixties.
no way the stones can have a hit nowadays, still they can have a big selling album if (the material is good and) they create good anticipation (also smart, artsy, viral video wouls help). of course this would mean they believe in the new songs and they are willing to play them and not be lazy about them

i agree that another good sign is that the band is worling all together on mick (and keith's) tracks, aparently not just laying down their parts after all the work is done. this could really be the good legacy of B&L

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-23 16:44 by maumau.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 23, 2017 16:42

slewan
stone4ever

The fact that this new album is taking so long might be a good thing though, maybe because its probably their last album Keith might be digging his heels in and fighting with Jagger over things, a very good sign if true.

I think that the fact that it takes so long to release an album is rather a bad sign. If you have good stuff you don't have to re-work it again and again. In case you have mediocre stuff there seems much more reason to rework it, to add something, to overdub, reproduce it etc etc.

They're just looking for a 'direction.' Once they find one, all will be well. I know that Ronnie is a fan of One Direction. Perhaps The Stones can borrow their direction.

Date: June 23, 2017 16:48

LongBeachArena72
slewan
stone4ever

The fact that this new album is taking so long might be a good thing though, maybe because its probably their last album Keith might be digging his heels in and fighting with Jagger over things, a very good sign if true.

I think that the fact that it takes so long to release an album is rather a bad sign. If you have good stuff you don't have to re-work it again and again. In case you have mediocre stuff there seems much more reason to rework it, to add something, to overdub, reproduce it etc etc.

They're just looking for a 'direction.' Once they find one, all will be well. I know that Ronnie is a fan the mentor of One Direction. Perhaps The Stones can borrow their direction.

grinning smiley

Date: June 23, 2017 16:57

georgelicks
corriecas
Jeroen

Maybe you're right about the UK tour, but CD single? Who buys CD singles in 2017?
No way, 1 or 2 songs released on Spotify, that's the way to go.

i dont use or listen to Spotify, soory.
Jeroen

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: June 23, 2017 17:49

LongBeachArena72
slewan
stone4ever

They're just looking for a 'direction.' Once they find one, all will be well. I know that Ronnie is a fan of One Direction. Perhaps The Stones can borrow their direction.

A far as the glimmers are concerned they don't seem to give a damn what Ronnie thinks. Times change though. Hey LongBeach you looking forward to the video releases for the new singles as much as me?
I love all that Saint Of Me and Love Is Strong Videos.
I bet you get all excited about that side of things winking smiley
Bowies Black Star, now that was something.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-23 18:50 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 23, 2017 18:18

micawber
Kurt
Blue and Lonesome has staying power.
Sirius XM Channel Bluesville plays different cuts from it ALL the time.
I've heard almost every single song on that station.

The DJ on that channel last night played 'Ventilator Blues' and commented that although the channel had been playing lots of the "new" album, he dug deep into the catalog for that one!

On a personal note, my wife really DIGS B&L and commented that she likes "that kind of music". Last night, I had it playing as dinner music and my 15 and 17 year olds were dancing to it.

Don't ever underestimate the power of The Rolling Stones.
I'm getting more and more excited about the new album with each tidbit of news.

"Dinner music" is the worst anybody could ever say about the Stones' music from my point of view. But you nailed it:-(

We ROCK OUT at dinners here, micawber!
You're invited over anytime cool smiley

How hard can it be to integrate those THREE NEW KILLER KEITH RIFFS into just three out of THE 50 NEW MICK SONGS and release singles in the new music industry streaming format right before the tour starts?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home