Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 8, 2017 13:38

To me it looks good.. By this stage, all of them being all together in a studio, if they really are recording there - why not, as BV said, recording could be a good way to rehearse (they really don't need to re-learn how "Start Me Up" goes, but probably just get the right 'band feel') - that goes nicely along the scenario that was speculated some pages ago. That of them trying cut the new songs the way they did BLUE & LONESOME, that is, knowing the songs beforehand, being prepared before hitting the studio (and not starting from the scratch). And then, cut them quick and effectively. That was something Ronnie mentioned ages ago (of them re-cutting all the stuff they've done so far) and Jagger also thinking aloud some time ago (using the effective BLUE&LONESOME method). One could imagine had they made the album from the base of some backing tracks (or Mick's infamous demos), building up there piece by piece, they would be now just 'finishing' them, adding over-dubs, probably mixing... For that they wouldn't need the whole band. Which isn't the case now.

Of course, none of this promises anything of how good the results will be, but anyway, I don't mind being optimistic...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-08 13:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 8, 2017 14:09

Doxa
To me it looks good.. By this stage, all of them being all together in a studio, if they really are recording there - why not, as BV said, recording could be a good way to rehearse (they really don't need to re-learn how "Start Me Up" goes, but probably just get the right 'band feel') - that goes nicely along the scenario that was speculated some pages ago. That of them trying cut the new songs the way they did BLUE & LONESOME, that is, knowing the songs beforehand, being prepared before hitting the studio (and not starting from the scratch). And then, cut them quick and effectively. That was something Ronnie mentioned ages ago (of them re-cutting all the stuff they've done so far) and Jagger also thinking aloud some time ago (using the effective BLUE&LONESOME method). One could imagine had they made the album from the base of some backing tracks (or Mick's infamous demos), building up there piece by piece, they would be now just 'finishing' them, adding over-dubs, probably mixing... For that they wouldn't need the whole band. Which isn't the case now.

Of course, none of this promises anything of how good the results will be, but anyway, I don't mind being optimistic...

- Doxa

Glass is half full, fingers crossed...cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 8, 2017 18:14

Maindefender
Doxa

- Doxa

Glass is half full, fingers crossed...cool smiley

I'm with you there - I see it as an upward spiral, and sometimes great things come in three's - starting with CH, then B&L w/whole band, and now hopefully this which could be a monumental peak in their latter years.

Date: June 8, 2017 18:19

Ronnie's I Feel Like Playing was pretty strong, too.

Date: June 8, 2017 18:25

DandelionPowderman
I agree, but not sure I would consider it as the beginning of the "upward spiral" considering his songwriting and all around input with the Stones in general - though his playing was one of the highlights on B&L.thumbs up
And in order to keep it a "trilogy of greats", have to fast forward and begin with CH.

Date: June 8, 2017 18:44

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
I agree, but not sure I would consider it as the beginning of the "upward spiral" considering his songwriting and all around input with the Stones in general - though his playing was one of the highlights on B&L.thumbs up
And in order to keep it a "trilogy of greats", have to fast forward and begin with CH.

It could have kickstarted something, as he proved himself back in shape and with his chops down. Later that year, Keith invited the guys in the band to jam. Keith himself had been working on CH.

I don't know... smiling smiley

Date: June 8, 2017 18:50

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

It could have kickstarted something, as he proved himself back in shape and with his chops down. Later that year, Keith invited the guys in the band to jam. Keith himself had been working on CH.

OK - can't think of the word after trilogy...something that comes in fours... thumbs up

Date: June 8, 2017 18:55

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

OK - can't think of the word after trilogy...something that comes in fours... thumbs up

That's why we only have trilogies........>grinning smiley<

Posted by: KindaBlue ()
Date: June 8, 2017 20:18

Maindefender
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

That one always stumps me!

Is it Fourology? Quadrilogy? Four of a Kind? Two pair?

LOL!

Date: June 8, 2017 21:26

KindaBlue
Maindefender
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

That one always stumps me!

Is it Fourology? Quadrilogy? Four of a Kind? Two pair?

LOL!

A Fourfer.......confused smileythumbs up

Date: June 8, 2017 21:53

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

If the point is desperatively to give credits where the "credits due" (to trace the path to the upcoming masterpiece) I think we should also mention Jagger's contribution to EXILE and SOME GIRLS projects. Him not only leading the whole projects, in many songs he needed to do his 'normal' contribution in finishing up the songs (melodies, lyrics), not differing much he once did, for example, for TATTOO YOU. Even that kind of miracle happened that he was able to pick a Keith-written rough backing track sketch and make a real classical sounding Rolling Stones song out of it. "Plundered My Soul" is the best Jagger/Richards colloboration for about 30 years (some credits to Taylor as well).

Altogether I think that especially EXILE project was an eye-opening experience for Jagger (the interview he gave at the time for Italian radio must be his most musical detailed ever, and never heard him being so precise and excited of such details; him sounding almost like a nerd), which helped warming up his motivation for the upcoming Stones activities, him finally seeing that the great past can be also something else than boring nostalgia (not having much practcal use than filling up a set list in a modern Rolling Stones show). BLUE & LONESOME is a fruition of similar attitude facing the past with no apology.

(Okay, now I wait for dozens of posts to tell me that what Jagger did for EXILE and SOME GIRLS projects was just horrible, full of crime-like anachronism, bad singing and everything, inwhereas Ronnie's and Keith's albums are so wonderful fruitions of inspiration and great talent blah blah blah...)

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-08 22:18 by Doxa.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: June 8, 2017 22:07

Nice analysis on the Exile and Some Girls projects Doxa, do you have a link to that italian radio interview with Jagger about Exile?

Date: June 8, 2017 22:12

barbabang
Nice analysis on the Exile and Some Girls projects Doxa, do you have a link to that italian radio interview with Jagger about Exile?

Thanks, but sorry I don't have the link any longer. Anyone?

- Doxa

Date: June 8, 2017 22:27

No desperation, only looking for what kickstarted them after the ABB-tour hiatus, when they looked done.

Jagger's work with the bonus tracks and Superheavy are indeed valid examples.

Date: June 8, 2017 22:47

DandelionPowderman
No desperation, only looking for what kickstarted them after the ABB-tour hiatus, when they looked done.

Jagger's work with the bonus tracks and Superheavy are indeed valid examples.

I don't think Superheavy project has a direct influence to the Stones activities, only probably him being able to do 'something completely different' with different people, which could have a mental significance for him getting that part out of his system (free his mind, so to say), and thereby, concentrate on the Stones projects more terms of their own.

But then again, who knows if the upcoming Stones album might sound like a SUPERHEAVY VOL. 2, haha...

- Doxa

Date: June 8, 2017 23:18

But if we sum up little this historical reconstruction; the path leading to the upcoming non-disputed masterpiece:

I FEEL LIKE PLAYING shows that Ronnie Wood can still play some tasty guitar.

EXILE/SOME GIRLS DELUXE projects show that Jagger can finish up a classical Jagger/Richards song if the song sketch is inspiring enough.

CROSSEYED HEART shows that Keith also can play some tasty guitar and write some nice song sketches.

BLUE & LONESOME shows that the band still 'got it' if needed (plus that Jagger being in a rather top form as a singer and a harp player and Charlie is Charlie).

Do the maths: we have a winner in our hands soon, right?winking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-08 23:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 8, 2017 23:27

Right.
cool smiley

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 8, 2017 23:51

Sounds simply to me that they are rehearsing new material as in old fashioned pre-production, with the idea of recording the songs mostly live, like they did with Blue and Lonesome, which was well-received. Perhaps a meeting of the minds between Mick and Keith.

Date: June 8, 2017 23:59

Doxa
But if we sum up little this historical reconstruction; the path leading to the upcoming non-disputed masterpiece:

EXILE/SOME GIRLS DELUXE projects show that Jagger can finish up a classical Jagger/Richards song if the song sketch is inspiring enough.

CROSSEYED HEART shows that Keith also can play some tasty guitar and write some nice song sketches.

BLUE & LONESOME shows that the band still 'got it' if needed (plus that Jagger being in a rather top form as a singer and a harp player and Charlie is Charlie).

- Doxa

The evolution towards the upcoming album in a nutshell - the recipe for a masterpiece!!!
It's all in God's plans...what could possibly go wrong?!!!smiling smiley

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 9, 2017 02:18

You guys are funny. Have you listened to what this band has recorded over the past 35 years or so?

Alas, hope springs eternal ...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 9, 2017 02:40

Thanks for bringing your own bit of doom and gloom. The place was getting way too positive. I could barely stand it.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 9, 2017 02:51

We don't even know how far along they have gotten on this album. Is it just starting, half done?, finishing touches and mixing? No one except the Stones and Don Was know for sure.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 9, 2017 03:24

Doxa

- Doxa

isn't the tough part for them to do all this...together?

Date: June 9, 2017 04:44

Rocky Dijon
Thanks for bringing your own bit of doom and gloom. The place was getting way too positive. I could barely stand it.

Well to be honest, and if it wasn't obvious to some, my previous post claiming "It's all in God's hands" had just a smidgen of sarcasm...wait... scratch that...
It was 99.999% pure bullshit! grinning smiley

It was nice to pretend to be 100% positive for a minute though, and the happy vibes were infectious.

But back to reality....doom and gloom...

winking smiley

Date: June 9, 2017 05:12

And here I thought you meant it would be another album with Clapton playing guitar on a couple tracks...

Date: June 9, 2017 05:47

Even God/Clapton couldn't make me love B&L, so not sure he would help very much by playing on a couple of new originals.
But...new originals could be better than generic standard covers....depending on a variety of factors.

Date: June 9, 2017 06:25

I like a few tracks quite a lot, but I largely keep quiet about BLUE AND LONESOME. I'm glad so many here adore it. And yes, despite how tough I can be on them, I'm much more interested in new material. It's nice to see that even at this late date they're still willing to try different ways to make a Rolling Stones album.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: June 9, 2017 07:00

StonedRambler
IanBillen
Hi. Well actually Daryl and Don Was and Chuck are not 'always there'. They were not there initially in 2012 when they reconvened. Ronnie and Daryl were not there much of A Bigger Bang sessions. In fact.. Ronnie came late. Hell even Charlie wasn't there for a good while (cancer).

When they have the whole ensemble together flying across the world to a rented out studio (maybe the finest recording studio in all of Europe ..One of the finest in the whole world) .. planned out for a month or two before hand... the sessions are not loose and causual or just to see what takes place. I guarantee all songs are written at this point and they are laying down the material. The sessions /sessions that are taking place with said situation and all said members and staff at said studios are for a sole purpose.. I can guarantee they are not just to see what takes place or to take it as it comes. They all flew half way across the world and adjusted their schedules accordingly for a definite recording reason with an outcome in mind... no doubt.
Well, I actually hope you're right winking smiley As for Stones sessions, 'being loose' does not mean being fallow. Some great things can come out if they are, and that's just what happened with Blue and Lonesome where they also had Darryl but Matt instead of Chuck there (as for ABB, I though it had to do with Charlie's cancer that Mick and Keith worked alone in the beginning). Of course I don't mean Exile-lose, they won't just hang around and jam with some Riffs for hours as they did back in the day. But as they don't have to proove anything these days, they might not see themselves under the pressure to finish it until the tour starts. They've been in the studio around three times since 2015, and there is no doubt they are slowly putting together something. But we don't know if they commit themselves to finish it right now.

I gotcha.. I thought you meant loose as in 'hey we are all here just to hang out and jam and if something becomes of it .. well great.... if not... oh well we still had a ball" ...

These sessions are to put songs to tape (or disc grinning smiley ). I am confident songs are written and the recording process is ready for them. These sessions are for a purpose... to lay down tracks (who knows how many) and / or to finish em.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-09 07:01 by IanBillen.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 9, 2017 08:35

Doxa

- Doxa

Be careful, Doxa: Music is no maths. Sometimes 1 + 1 does not equal 2. When I first heard Harlem Shuffle/Had It With You, I truly believed we had a winner in our hands soon. The outcome was Dirty Work. Then again, after hearing Just Your Fool, my feeling that the album would turn out great was not disappointed. Once thing's for sure: There are positive signs. Let's just hope that everything adds up to a great album that if it really turns out to be their very last of new recordings deserves the title: "A fitting, perfect finale to a fantastic, unparalleled career". That is what I wish them by heart. And I have the feeling that the band wishes to achieve exactly that, too.

Date: June 9, 2017 10:26

retired_dog
Doxa

- Doxa

Be careful, Doxa: Music is no maths. Sometimes 1 + 1 does not equal 2. When I first heard Harlem Shuffle/Had It With You, I truly believed we had a winner in our hands soon. The outcome was Dirty Work. Then again, after hearing Just Your Fool, my feeling that the album would turn out great was not disappointed. Once thing's for sure: There are positive signs. Let's just hope that everything adds up to a great album that if it really turns out to be their very last of new recordings deserves the title: "A fitting, perfect finale to a fantastic, unparalleled career". That is what I wish them by heart. And I have the feeling that the band wishes to achieve exactly that, too.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1978
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home