Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: April 24, 2017 00:37

Hairball
Stoneage
I wonder how much Keith's "junkie time" has blocked Stones studio efforts through the years? Does he still work on junkie schedule?

Fair question, but at the same time one can wonder how much Mick's quest for solo success has blocked Stones studio efforts through the years (see Dirty Work).
Is he still hoping to become the next big thing? Is he considering another Superheavy? Or maybe another collaboration with Will.I.Am? Alfie pt.2?
Is the allure of working with Paisley or Henley again keeping him out of focus? Is his heart really in country music? Will he join Taylor Swift on stage again on her next tour?

Will Mick write another 40 songs for the Stones to choose for the album ? are any of those 40 songs any good ?
Has anything Mick wrote been any good since the last Stones studio album about a century ago ?? ( with the exception of Doom And Gloom )
Is there any real evidence that Mick has written anything good since the last Stones album in the way that someone like Ray Davies has ?
Will Mick refuse to do anything with the three killer songs Keith has for the new album ??
Has Mick convinced himself that he can't work with Keith since he laid down the gauntlet to Mick with Crosseyed Heart ?? Has Crosseyed Heart intimidated Mick ?
Has Mick still got writers block or is he just doing a good impression of someone with writers block.
Do the songs Mick says he writes constantly, actually exist ??
Is the wall Mick hit in the studio (that resulted in Blue And Lonesome) still standing ??
Does Mick still refuse to collaborate with Keith in the studio because he can't hack it anymore ??

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 25, 2017 17:43

HMS
Maindefender
The problem is less age and more Mick is Mick and Keith is Keith. So many older solo artists are releasing music: Dave Davies, Ray Davies, Neil Young, Willie Nelson(84), Roger Waters. What's the common thread?: solo artists with one point of view.

These SOLO artists don´t enter the studio with nothing in their hands - the songs are ready, they just tell the sessions players what to do and no compromise has to be made. Working that way is quite easy even when you´re old of age. It´s different when you´re in a band, especially with the Stones with Mick and Keith maybe having different goals and visions... You can have 40 demos and still hit the wall when you´re in a band. Ray Davies, Neil Young and Roger Waters enter the studio and record, they don´t discuss the material with their session-players. It´s a combination of both, their age that probably won´t allow them to work like they used to do (building up songs just from jams) plus the huge egos of Mick & Keith. If they now indeed record songs for two days here, three days there, that means that Keith has bowed down and accepted Mick´s demos.

Bob Dylan has recorded recent albums bringing nothing into the studio.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 25, 2017 17:58

This thread just keeps getting more depressing. SAD SAD SAD.
Seriously, have we all been sorted neatly into the Mick v. Keith camps yet?

@#$%& Hell.

Is anyone really so narrow-minded to believe that "three killer songs" actually EXIST from Keith and that Mick REFUSES to work on them?

Is anyone really so narrow-minded to believe that Mick has written "40 songs" that Keith HAS TO PLAY ON OR ELSE?

Take a step back, people.
I do so hope that the FOUR of them are healthy.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 25, 2017 18:04

GasLightStreet

Bob Dylan has recorded recent albums bringing nothing into the studio.

...and left with nothing but a series of jokesgrinning smiley

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 25, 2017 23:10

In an interview w. Charlie at the Jazz Awards he does mention they are continuing work on the new album.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 26, 2017 00:10

DEmerson
In an interview w. Charlie at the Jazz Awards he does mention they are continuing work on the new album.

Thanks! thumbs up

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: April 26, 2017 00:23

"We've been back in the studio since ... doing the rest of this album...very enjoyable...but you know...Mick would actually come in with his song on his ... you know a phone ... plug it into the speakers and get play it... and we got "oh that one!" or you say "blimey!" (he grimaces) and you just .. copy it really..." (Charlie Watts - April 25, 2017)

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: April 26, 2017 00:35

Kurt
This thread just keeps getting more depressing. SAD SAD SAD.
Seriously, have we all been sorted neatly into the Mick v. Keith camps yet?

@#$%& Hell.

Is anyone really so narrow-minded to believe that "three killer songs" actually EXIST from Keith and that Mick REFUSES to work on them?

Is anyone really so narrow-minded to believe that Mick has written "40 songs" that Keith HAS TO PLAY ON OR ELSE?

Take a step back, people.
I do so hope that the FOUR of them are healthy.

Just having a bit of fun, lighten up dude.

Its just tongue in cheek.

What makes you think one of them isn't healthy ? Now that's depressing talk !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-26 00:40 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 26, 2017 01:08

MoreFastNumbers
"We've been back in the studio since ... doing the rest of this album...very enjoyable...but you know...Mick would actually come in with his song on his ... you know a phone ... plug it into the speakers and get play it... and we got "oh that one!" or you say "blimey!" (he grimaces) and you just .. copy it really..." (Charlie Watts - April 25, 2017)

I'd love to see the video just to see Chsrlie's expressions, they crack me up...>grinning smiley<

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: April 26, 2017 01:31

video: [www.youtube.com]Charlie Watts interviw

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 26, 2017 02:50

So there ya have it folks.. right from Charlies mouth. They did Blue & Lonesome.. the entire album in three days ... and simply went right back to working on the new one.. all in the same session period in December of 2015.

As well he said they have worked on the new one since and the new ones are enjoyable too...>> No biggy.

No brick wall to get over .. No Mick and Keith on the outs.. nothing like that... There is no problem .. (Well . except we didn't get a time frame of release hehe).

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 26, 2017 03:02

Yep, there you have it. Mick plugged his cell phone into the speakers, played the demos and they said, "Oh, that one" or "Blimey" and pulled a face and Charlie said "we just copy it, really." Just like 2002 and 2005 and 2012.

We know they've been in the studio sporadically. We know they've done it this year even. You don't expect Charlie to speak out of turn, do you? The most he told us was his saying going until they drop looks to be the way it will be even if he doesn't agree. That's typical Charlie half wanting to stay home and half wanting to play with the band.

While I'm grateful for the link, there's nothing newsworthy here. I'm mainly interested in what Soldatti's contact says in a couple weeks.

Date: April 26, 2017 03:12

"Mick is not a fan of yesterday, Keith and I are".thanks for the video johnh.....>grinning smiley< Nice that Charlie said the new album is enjoyable!!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 26, 2017 03:18

IanBillen
So there ya have it folks.. right from Charlies mouth. They did Blue & Lonesome.. the entire album in three days ... and simply went right back to working on the new one.. all in the same session period in December of 2015.

As well he said they have worked on the new one since and the new ones are enjoyable too...>> No biggy.

No brick wall to get over .. No Mick and Keith on the outs.. nothing like that... There is no problem .. (Well . except we didn't get a time frame of release hehe).

And more shows if possible. He doesn't know if it will be in London though. Sounds good. smileys with beer

As Charlie answer on the question "rock till you drop" - "seems like that's how it is, whether I agree or not....."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-26 03:21 by mtaylor.

Date: April 26, 2017 04:02

Rocky Dijon
Yep, there you have it. Mick plugged his cell phone into the speakers, played the demos and they said, "Oh, that one" or "Blimey" and pulled a face and Charlie said "we just copy it, really." Just like 2002 and 2005 and 2012.

We know they've been in the studio sporadically. We know they've done it this year even. You don't expect Charlie to speak out of turn, do you? The most he told us was his saying going until they drop looks to be the way it will be even if he doesn't agree. That's typical Charlie half wanting to stay home and half wanting to play with the band.

While I'm grateful for the link, there's nothing newsworthy here. I'm mainly interested in what Soldatti's contact says in a couple weeks.

Charlie was actually referring back / talking about the Blue & Lonesome songs Mick chose on his phone at that statement (In addition .. and to coincide with this statement I read that Mick chose blues songs on his computer at night and brought them in the next day after that first day when Blue & Lonesome began). They already were familiar with them naturally.. (hence 'oh that one') .. He was not referring Micks Demos there... he was referring to the old blues tracks they were going to take a stab at covering.. ..

Lets take it for what it is from Mick .. Don Was.. and Charlie .. The albumis still on and being worked on. There is no problem. They are simply doing it in spurts and taking their time.. REALLY taking their time with this one lol.

This is what we know for sure -

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-26 07:53 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2017 09:17

Regarding the originals that make up the covers of Blue and Lonesome Charlie said: "we just copy it, really" which says alot.
In other words, they were simply copying the originals without stamping anything new on to the tunes which was the feeling I got when first hearing it.
Nothing new added that hadn't already been done, but it was an enjoyable album for what it is even though I haven't listened to it in months.
On the other hand, I haven't stopped listening to the classic originals, and never will.
Glad Charlie enjoyed the process, he seems very pleased with the results and the accolades the album has been receiving! thumbs up

Now hopefully we will get some news regarding a new album of originals!

edit: Here's a nice article from Billboard:
Rolling Stones Win Album of the Year at U.K.'s Jazz FM Awards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-26 09:32 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 26, 2017 09:48

So there ya have it folks.. right from Charlies mouth.
They did Blue & Lonesome.. the entire album in three days ... and simply went right back to working on the new one..
.... Yeah that's it Ian...

wonder what the tracks are that made 'em say "Blimey" .....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 26, 2017 09:58

Rockman
So there ya have it folks.. right from Charlies mouth.
They did Blue & Lonesome.. the entire album in three days ... and simply went right back to working on the new one..
.... Yeah that's it Ian...

wonder what the tracks are that made 'em say "Blimey" .....

I think I'd rather go by RS.com ... Don Wass.. and The Stones themselves than you know... all this other speculation .. because truthfully ..all this <album has been scrapped> ... <they hit a brick wall and never recovered> .. <Keith isnt having Micks Demos so the whole things off> etc. etc. etc. ....is pure speculation going against what them and their camp are saying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-26 09:59 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 26, 2017 10:52

Yeah that's it Ian ..... I don't really read all that wank stuff....
Don't worry ...Well get a new Stones album

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 26, 2017 11:07

Well, that's a quarter of 2017 gone, 28 pages of chat here and still no sign of "the new album". Ho hum.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 26, 2017 11:14

Some think it takes less than 9 months to make a new human being. Well the entire process from idea into a new human being takes normally nine - 9 - months. We know this by experience because around six billion people across the world have been following this path. Sure there are premature births with success, but it never takes 3 months, right? Normally 9 months, right?

So what is a blues album by The Rolling Stones? It is something they can do in three days, no worries.

So what is an entire new Rolling Stones album with new Jagger/Richards compositions? They might throw in 6 Jagger songs and 6 Richards songs, and do it in a year, or even faster, but that is not how they work. They want this new studio album to be above average, far above average, not just another Stones album. They have high ambitions. Mick and Keith do have very different ideas and policies to bring in and to agree on, so in order for everything to be taken care of, without big fights, this will take time. But it will be there, and it will be great. And we will get some of these new songs live. On stage.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-26 11:16 by bv.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 26, 2017 11:30

Are the band under a contractual obligation to produce a new album in the 2017-18 financial year?

Date: April 26, 2017 12:15

bv
Some think it takes less than 9 months to make a new human being. Well the entire process from idea into a new human being takes normally nine - 9 - months. We know this by experience because around six billion people across the world have been following this path. Sure there are premature births with success, but it never takes 3 months, right? Normally 9 months, right?

So what is a blues album by The Rolling Stones? It is something they can do in three days, no worries.

So what is an entire new Rolling Stones album with new Jagger/Richards compositions? They might throw in 6 Jagger songs and 6 Richards songs, and do it in a year, or even faster, but that is not how they work. They want this new studio album to be above average, far above average, not just another Stones album. They have high ambitions. Mick and Keith do have very different ideas and policies to bring in and to agree on, so in order for everything to be taken care of, without big fights, this will take time. But it will be there, and it will be great. And we will get some of these new songs live. On stage.

thumbs up

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 26, 2017 14:56

They are not contracted to do anything major these days. Well they had to be at Exhibition London and NYC and they had to perform the Ole shows and Desert Trip and Las Vegas and those two private shows. Still, wwhy on earth would they need to commit to release an album which is not ready?

It will be there, eventually. And it will be great. That is all I know. That is why it takes time. Anyone can make a record, but few make records like Exile and Sticky Fingers. I believe they want to make something significant, and I am fine with waiting.

Bjornulf

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 26, 2017 15:30

I doubt that their current way of working will lead to a "masterpiece". Recording 2 days, doing nothing for six months, then recording for another three days and on and on... What about inspiration? You can´t switch on/off inspiration. It´s there or not there. "Well, let´s meet in three month to record for 2 hours". What if when all Stones show up but inspiration doesn´t? It took Keith a long time to come around with CH, which is average in fact.

I see that expectations rise again, but only because the haven´t released original material for 12 years doesn´t mean there will be a "masterpiece". Procol Harum released an album these days after 14 years of silence and it´s a pile of junk, imo. So I don´t expect too much from our boys, a decent album will do, I´m not looking for a masterpiece.

Date: April 26, 2017 15:31

bv
They are not contracted to do anything major these days. Well they had to be at Exhibition London and NYC and they had to perform the Ole shows and Desert Trip and Las Vegas and those two private shows. Still, wwhy on earth would they need to commit to release an album which is not ready?

It will be there, eventually. And it will be great. That is all I know. That is why it takes time. Anyone can make a record, but few make records like Exile and Sticky Fingers. I believe they want to make something significant, and I am fine with waiting.

I'd settle for something better than A bigger bang or Doom and Gloom!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 26, 2017 15:40

bv
Still, wwhy on earth would they need to commit to release an album which is not ready?

I do take the sparse official news about the sporadic but ongoing studio sessions in the past few months as significant of their ambition to make a new record "well above average" exspecially after Blue And Lonesome success (incidentally I still spin it a lot and joyfully).

However I am much less optimistic about the result though I hope it will "be great". Sure I would not start bringing Exile or Sticky on the table to comparison though, basically at this stage it is not even fair towards them though they could well use it as a promo rethoric tool.

I will be happy if it sounds true and felt as B&L and CH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-26 15:42 by maumau.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2017 18:45

There were eight long years between Bridges and A Bigger Bang, and while I don't know how, when, or where ABB was all recorded, the results left a bit to be deisred imo. So now we're at the 12 year mark since ABB and nothing original released yet. Will all this extra time guarantee an album? I hope so. Will it guarantee a great album? Hard to predict. While I'm hopeful it will be great, based on the eight years it took to put ABB together and the final results, it's hard to be optimistic. But coming after the success of B&L covers (sales wise), maybe they can get their priorities in order and put their differences aside, and it will push them towards something great. Only time will tell....

Date: April 26, 2017 19:12

bv

The waiting is the hardest part, but it will be worth it. Thanks BV....smileys with beer

Date: April 26, 2017 20:30

Rockman
Yeah that's it Ian ..... I don't really read all that wank stuff....
Don't worry ...Well get a new Stones album

Yezzer.... I just hope it comes sometime before 2020 grinning smiley ha.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home