Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 20, 2017 18:15

I knew I left a turder out - Sweet Neo Con. Horrible song.

Date: January 20, 2017 18:25

Monsoon Ragoon
GasLightStreet
There is one that was fortunately not finished for VOODOO LOUNGE that sounds like Jagger wannabeing Kenny Loggins with that horrible Danger Zone song, whatever it's called; Sweethearts Together,Keys To Your Love, Stealing Your Heart - whatever those 2 awful songs on FORTY LICKS are called; Might As Well Get Juiced, Gunface, Always Already Over Suffering Me and possibly the biggest worst one this side of DIRTY WORK, Streets Of Love (and the demolition that is Following The River) are the kind of songs to be terrified of having on the what looks to be the last studio album of originals by the Stones if or whenever it comes out.

That's what I meant, although I would partly choose other songs as "great" or "bad". I like Might As Well Get Juice and Gunface for instance, even Sweet Neo-Con. There were some - maybe 10 or 15 - real great songs since, hmmm, 1989, many good ones, fewer not so good ones and another 10-15 poor ones, incl. most 2002 tracks. On Beggars Banquet and Sticky Fingers there were 10 great songs each. That's another band.

A while back I made a THE WORST OF THE ROLLING STONES compilation, which started with Angie and stopped with, I dunno, Following The River, and has all of those terrible songs in it that I mentioned that are horrible songs and pathetic filler, including the one I forgot that you mentioned, Sweet Neo Con, as well as almost every track from DIRTY WORK and a few from STEEL WHEELS. It could be expanded to include most of THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST and any live version of Sympathy For The Devil post-FLASHPOINT. Some people didn't like it. I'm not a fanboy like some people are (how anyone can say that DIRTY WORK is still better than a majority of other bands' best albums is incredibly ignorant and... fanboy). A true fan can admit when something sucks of their favorite band or favorite bands etc.

I don't know how you - or anyone - can like Juiced, Gunface and Neo Con or DIRTY WORK for that matter.

However, you are essentially spot on - that crap was written by the same people who wrote BEGGARS-EXILE? SOME GIRLS? TATTOO YOU?

Blows my mind.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 20, 2017 22:12

I think they wrote "crap" as well in the 60s and 70s but wisely didn´t put it on an album like they did in the 90s. The 74-min-capacity of CD´s maybe made them think "more music to the people". Not a good decision. Think of 40min-masterpiece SF stretched to 68 min using subpar and mediocre material. It would have been completely ruined. And so are VL, B2B & ABB. Basically very good albums, but ruined by the incredible amount of fillers (VL & B2B most of all).
My homemade version of B2B runs 37 minutes and is pure delight, much better than, say, SG or GHS, IORR. Most of all it´s the fillers that make latter-day-albums seem weak.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 21, 2017 00:53

For the 2010s, I'd pick Pass the Wine, Plundered My Soul, When You're Gone, No Spare Parts, Don't Be a Stranger, Do You Think I Care, and Just Your Fool as the keepers.

For the 2000s, I'd opt for Don't Stop, Rain Fall Down, She Saw Me Coming, Biggest Mistake, Dangerous Beauty, Laugh I Nearly Died, Look What the Cat Dragged In, Infamy, and Under the Radar.

Of course, I'd also include a few Mick and Keith solo tracks since there isn't much of a difference between them and The Stones in these latter days.

As for the potential new album, I'm cautiously optimistic I'll like a few things.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 21, 2017 01:18

HMS
I think they wrote "crap" as well in the 60s and 70s but wisely didn´t put it on an album like they did in the 90s. The 74-min-capacity of CD´s maybe made them think "more music to the people". Not a good decision. Think of 40min-masterpiece SF stretched to 68 min using subpar and mediocre material. It would have been completely ruined. And so are VL, B2B & ABB. Basically very good albums, but ruined by the incredible amount of fillers (VL & B2B most of all).
My homemade version of B2B runs 37 minutes and is pure delight, much better than, say, SG or GHS, IORR. Most of all it´s the fillers that make latter-day-albums seem weak.

The problem is: EVERYONE has their own favorite VL, B2B and ABB version so how can they cut a crap song as STREET OF LOVE or SUCK ON THE JUGULAR when many fans are including it on their playlist?

Which song is filler?

I've seen list with almost any song included on VL or ABB as filler.

The result is: we put everything out and anyone can pick up their favorite songs.

Thank god they released a good, short and direct album as Blue and Lonesome, 42 minutes, no filler, a great flow... yet many people wants more songs, bonus tracks, B sides, etc.

It's impossible to please all people.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 23, 2017 01:09

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-23 06:34 by Rip This.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 23, 2017 13:50

Rip This

Good point.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 23, 2017 16:07

georgelicks
HMS

The problem is: EVERYONE has their own favorite VL, B2B and ABB version so how can they cut a crap song as STREET OF LOVE or SUCK ON THE JUGULAR when many fans are including it on their playlist?

Which song is filler?

I've seen list with almost any song included on VL or ABB as filler.

The result is: we put everything out and anyone can pick up their favorite songs.

Thank god they released a good, short and direct album as Blue and Lonesome, 42 minutes, no filler, a great flow... yet many people wants more songs, bonus tracks, B sides, etc.

It's impossible to please all people.

But in theory a 40 minute album should be easier than a 70 minute album. I'm hoping for Tattoo #2 or a combo of old and new. What would be wrong with the Stones rerecording Criss Cross mind for example.

Date: January 24, 2017 02:45

HMS
I think they wrote "crap" as well in the 60s and 70s but wisely didn´t put it on an album like they did in the 90s. The 74-min-capacity of CD´s maybe made them think "more music to the people". Not a good decision. Think of 40min-masterpiece SF stretched to 68 min using subpar and mediocre material. It would have been completely ruined.

Wrong.

Again.

Leftover STICKY FINGERS material was used on EXILE. SF could've easily been a double album.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 24, 2017 02:50

YEAH .... Blue & Lonesome pulls in at 42.42 ..... just like a good album should

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: January 24, 2017 06:02

I don't get the Dirty Work hate or the hate for Streets Of Love.
I like em all, and I enjoy Keys To Your Love

Different strokes I guess

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 24, 2017 08:35

Rockman
YEAH .... Blue & Lonesome pulls in at 42.42 ..... just like a good album should

Right-e-right.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 24, 2017 11:19

Deathgod

I'm the 2nd or 3rd biggest DW fan here (and there are only three I guess), great great album. Stones go hard rock, that is what this one is about. But Keys To Your Love is just bad. The only new song on FL which is pretty good is Stealing My Heart or how was it called? But this is still substandard.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 24, 2017 11:51

Monsoon Ragoon
Deathgod

I'm the 2nd or 3rd biggest DW fan here (and there are only three I guess), great great album. Stones go hard rock, that is what this one is about. But Keys To Your Love is just bad. The only new song on FL which is pretty good is Stealing My Heart or how was it called? But this is still substandard.

I'm one of the other 2 or 3 that like DW. I totally get that it is not classic Stones but it does rock out. I love the guitar work on the album. One reviewer at the time said that if the tension and angst between Mick and Keith could create that kind of music it should be bottled and sold. For me it's a very Keith album, a foretaste of what his solo material would sound like. Again, it's nowhere near the Big Four, but that bar was set so so high that even stuff well below that bar can be very enjoyable. And I also don't get the hate for A Bigger Bang. For me that was their strongest since Some Girls.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: January 24, 2017 13:07

Monsoon Ragoon
Deathgod

I like the solo in Keys To Your Love always enjoyed it

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 24, 2017 13:19

Keys To Your Love, Don´t Stop, Stealing My Heart & Losing My Touch are good-to very good songs, although a bit mellow sounding and rather poppish tunes... I like the Stones more aggressive, more powerful. But the songs are ok. Losing My Touch is the best.

Date: January 24, 2017 13:39

HMS
Keys To Your Love, Don´t Stop, Stealing My Heart & Losing My Touch are good-to very good songs, although a bit mellow sounding and rather poppish tunes... I like the Stones more aggressive, more powerful. But the songs are ok. Losing My Touch is the best.

Agree for the most part. Some of the lyrics on Don't Stop are cringe- worthy though...

Date: January 24, 2017 15:58

Deathgod

Most people are able to discern bad albums from good albums and bad songs from good songs. You aren't one of those.

Date: January 24, 2017 16:00

HonkeyTonkFlash
Monsoon Ragoon
Deathgod

I'm one of the other 2 or 3 that like DW. I totally get that it is not classic Stones but it does rock out. I love the guitar work on the album. One reviewer at the time said that if the tension and angst between Mick and Keith could create that kind of music it should be bottled and sold.

The issue is it's not good rocking out. And that was strictly tow-the-line hype for a non-functioning band releasing their worst ever album to get attention. It's pathetic.

Date: January 24, 2017 16:39

GasLightStreet
HonkeyTonkFlash
Monsoon Ragoon
Deathgod

I'm one of the other 2 or 3 that like DW. I totally get that it is not classic Stones but it does rock out. I love the guitar work on the album. One reviewer at the time said that if the tension and angst between Mick and Keith could create that kind of music it should be bottled and sold.

The issue is it's not good rocking out. And that was strictly tow-the-line hype for a non-functioning band releasing their worst ever album to get attention. It's pathetic.

I think DW is better than halfbaked pop albums like GHS or ER. It's also a matter of taste.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-24 16:39 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: January 24, 2017 16:58

Why don't talk about a possible new album this year?!

Date: January 24, 2017 16:59

A matter of taste doesn't usurp the quality of songs that are better on GHS and ER.

Date: January 24, 2017 19:27

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-24 19:29 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: January 25, 2017 02:17

Monsoon Ragoon

Uh huh. Exactly.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 25, 2017 02:43

Monsoon Ragoon
GasLightStreet
HonkeyTonkFlash
Monsoon Ragoon
Deathgod

I think DW is better than halfbaked pop albums like GHS or ER. It's also a matter of taste.

by that measure, DW still has to be put in the oven

Date: January 25, 2017 02:44

The danger (?) in rock music as well as rock'n'roll is gone, according to a lot of people. Perhaps the Stones, even with their age, should do something incredibly offensive.

Why not?

It's worked before. Isn't that a factor these days? Rock is too safe? Too clean? Too PC?

It is. It's one thing to convey something serious, it's another to get under the skin of people. Doing 4 stomach gurgitation of shit excuses for songs like Sweet Neo Con is not going to make anyone notice.

Posted by: heinz57 ()
Date: January 25, 2017 08:43

It looks like the Stones may do some more recording in London later in February, with the aim of having a new album of original material done in time for the summer tour, if there is one. We'll see.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: January 25, 2017 10:51

Have you any sources about this info?!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 25, 2017 19:57

heinz57
It looks like the Stones may do some more recording in London later in February, with the aim of having a new album of original material done in time for the summer tour, if there is one. We'll see.

Thanks Heinz! thumbs up

Date: January 25, 2017 23:10

KRiffhard
heinz57

Thanks Heinz! thumbs up

I wish I could dispute Heinz, but his 10 posts have been proven fairly accurate. Wish he wouldn't go back into hiding on this one though.......eye rolling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1095
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home