Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 12, 2017 05:57

bitusa2012
Hairball
bitusa2012
JJHMick
See my latest post on "Stones at number One". I'm sure that any original material will be a hit - even if it makes some No. 6 or so in Iceland or Sambia.

Where is Sambia?

Had to look it up myself - it's a reference to a tribal people living in an area of Papua New Guinea rather than an actual geographical place.

From wiki: Sambia people

You learn something new everyday...

"IN Sambia ...." was the quote. Doesnt seem to reference a tribe or type of people...whatever

Evidently JJHMick was mistaken as there is no such place as was explained above.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: January 12, 2017 06:17

Hairball
mpj200
If they do manage another record, I believe it will be their last. If not, B&L is their last. Just my opinion. But if we do get another record, I will chose to look at it from a historical perspective. Regardless of how it sounds, it will be history.

It's quite comical to listen to all the comments about what the band should or shouldn't do. They've done it for 55 years.

Yes they've done it for 55 years, but when you consider they've only released seven studio albums in the last 35 years vs. a whopping 18 studio albums in the first 21 years, it puts things in a different perspective.

It might seem comical to you reading comments on what the band should and shouldn't do, but this is a message board filled with wishful thinkers! Based on the last 35 years, maybe the band should listen to the fans more!

Well put it back in perspective by looking at all the other bands that lasted over 20 years? At least the band has stayed together, recorded and toured. And just put out a record. Perspective is their principal songwriters are over 70!

Date: January 12, 2017 06:24

mpj200
Hairball
mpj200
If they do manage another record, I believe it will be their last. If not, B&L is their last. Just my opinion. But if we do get another record, I will chose to look at it from a historical perspective. Regardless of how it sounds, it will be history.

It's quite comical to listen to all the comments about what the band should or shouldn't do. They've done it for 55 years.

Yes they've done it for 55 years, but when you consider they've only released seven studio albums in the last 35 years vs. a whopping 18 studio albums in the first 21 years, it puts things in a different perspective.

It might seem comical to you reading comments on what the band should and shouldn't do, but this is a message board filled with wishful thinkers! Based on the last 35 years, maybe the band should listen to the fans more!

Well put it back in perspective by looking at all the other bands that lasted over 20 years? At least the band has stayed together, recorded and toured. And just put out a record. Perspective is their principal songwriters are over 70!

Amen. thumbs up

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 12, 2017 21:02

Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
"we took the blues detour in December -- but we went back in June and recorded more".

Wonder if they've been in the studio at all since last June - 7 months ago.
We know Keith wanted them in the studio last month, but nobody else was ready for that

"You shape your life around making a record, and really, so far, there hasn't really been an appetite for that".

Doesn't sound very promising... eye rolling smiley

"The Stones are working on one, yeah - at the moment, as we speak. We cut a few new things and we're going in (the studio) again later this year.
Keith Richards (July 2016)

"We started (making a new album when we recorded the blues covers) and then we went back in recently, doing some new stuff. I don't know how long that's going to take" Charlie Watts (Oct. 2016)

"I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that"
MJ (Nov. 2016)

...maybe July and September/October?

Yeah July and September sounds like a possibility, but hard to say.
Depends on how they define "recently"...Charlies use of "recently" could refer to what Keith was saying in July: "working on one...at the moment as we speak".

As for Mick's quote, he says "I was working on it..." - what I meant was if they've been in the studio at all since last June together as a band.

Date: January 12, 2017 21:04

KRiffhard
Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball
"we took the blues detour in December -- but we went back in June and recorded more".

We know Keith wanted them in the studio last month, but nobody else was ready for that

"You shape your life around making a record, and really, so far, there hasn't really been an appetite for that".

"The Stones are working on one, yeah - at the moment, as we speak. We cut a few new things and we're going in (the studio) again later this year.

"We started (making a new album when we recorded the blues covers) and then we went back in recently, doing some new stuff. I don't know how long that's going to take" Charlie Watts (Oct. 2016)

"I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that"
MJ (Nov. 2016)

Depends on how they define "recently"...Charlies use of "recently" could refer to what Keith was saying in July: "working on one...at the moment as we speak".

As for Mick's quote, he says "I was working on it..." - what I meant was if they've been in the studio at all since last June together as a band.

...so april, june and july 2016 for sure. Maybe september or october too.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 13, 2017 18:16

Hairball
KRiffhard
Hairball

MJ (Nov. 2016)

As we speak?

That is one of the dumbest expressions in the history of language. And by saying that, Keith was lying - because he was talking to a reporter, not recording an LP.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: January 13, 2017 19:05

The new album is almost finishedsmoking smileythumbs up

Date: January 13, 2017 20:00

mailexile67

I hope so! thumbs up

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 13, 2017 20:10

mailexile67

..and what kind of source did that information come from may we ask winking smiley

Date: January 18, 2017 09:18

Date: January 18, 2017 19:10

KRiffhard

?

Sums it up...expect nothing, but hope for something. winking smiley

Date: January 18, 2017 19:50

During this year it will comes out!thumbs up

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 18, 2017 20:03

Spud
mailexile67

..and what kind of source did that information come from may we ask winking smiley

Wishful thinking

Date: January 18, 2017 20:42

@Georgelicks

"Wishful thinking" was also when I predicted 1,5/2 million sales for BAL and you and many people thought that I was going mad...Time will tell

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 19, 2017 15:13

Please no albums anymore with trash like Too Tight, Flip The Switch, Sweethearts Together, Don't Stop etc. And please not another album with blues covers that all sound the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-19 15:13 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 19, 2017 15:52

Monsoon Ragoon
Please no albums anymore with trash like Too Tight, Flip The Switch, Sweethearts Together, Don't Stop etc. And please not another album with blues covers that all sound the same.

...Tough cookie to please, you are...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 19, 2017 16:17

Monsoon Ragoon

if we get a new Stones album with songs sung by Jagger, SINGING like he does on Blue and Lonesome, i will be very HAPPY.

Jeroen

Date: January 19, 2017 16:40

Monsoon Ragoon

There are quite a few 'one hit wonders' out there who never composed 2 songs as good as "Too Tight" and "Flip the Switch" in their entire careers.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 19, 2017 17:07

Monsoon Ragoon

What ?

Every track on B&L is a testament to how much variation there is within the Blues format . It ilustrates perfectly how deeply the whole band are steeped in the blues... and how well they understand & interpret these differences in feel & approach .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-19 17:26 by Spud.

Date: January 19, 2017 18:30

mailexile67
@Georgelicks

"Wishful thinking" was also when I predicted 1,5/2 million sales for BAL and you and many people thought that I was going mad...Time will tell

thumbs up

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 20, 2017 00:38

mailexile67
@Georgelicks

I predicted 1 million with the album released on Christmas market, if we see the ABB numbers from 2005 (2.5 million worldwide) and with the market down 70% since then my prediction was a bit optimistic.
The US sales were quite right with the current times (650k for ABB - 280k for B&L so far) that's more than 50% off, but the album did better than expected on some European countries as UK, France, Germany and the Netherlands, you have over 300-350k unpredicted copies sold there.

Still, worldwide sales are down with each new album since Voodoo Lounge:

Voodoo Lounge
6,4 million worldwide
2,4 million in the US

Bridges To Babylon
4,7 M worldwide
1.4 M in the US

A Bigger Bang
2,5 M worldwide
650,000 in the US

Blue and Lonesome
1.5 M worldwide
280,000 in the US

The US drop is the most dramatic one, the "no decent or good album since 1981" street myth, aging fans and lack of new audience is much worse there than in the rest of the world.

Date: January 20, 2017 02:30

Do they can sell over 1,5 worldwide with a new album of originals in December with a massive publicity, a killer single and a nice video?!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 20, 2017 04:29

Monsoon Ragoon

Too Tight and Flip the Switch are 20 years old. Sweethearts Together is 23 years old
Don't Stop is 15 years old. Maybe instead of asking them not to produce trash, you should just stop listening to the Stones after Bill left. Try typing, "Please don't make me buy another album that gives me no pleasure as I've inexplicably done for a quarter of a century now" and see if you don't feel a bit foolish.

Date: January 20, 2017 15:06

Rocky Dijon
Monsoon Ragoon

Too Tight and Flip the Switch are 20 years old. Sweethearts Together is 23 years old
Don't Stop is 15 years old. Maybe instead of asking them not to produce trash, you should just stop listening to the Stones after Bill left. Try typing, "Please don't make me buy another album that gives me no pleasure as I've inexplicably done for a quarter of a century now" and see if you don't feel a bit foolish.

That was just sarcastically. But nobody recognized it, because everybody knows about the artistical decline. By the way, which songs of the 00s should I take? They released only ca. 20 new songs since 2002. And ABB was quite okay.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 20, 2017 15:10

Monsoon Ragoon

Really? TT and FTS are great rockers.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 20, 2017 16:01

Monsoon Ragoon
Rocky Dijon
Monsoon Ragoon

That was just sarcastically. But nobody recognized it, because everybody knows about the artistical decline. By the way, which songs of the 00s should I take? They released only ca. 20 new songs since 2002. And ABB was quite okay.

Make up our minds for us, was it sarcasm or not??

Date: January 20, 2017 16:24

Maindefender
Monsoon Ragoon
Rocky Dijon
Monsoon Ragoon

Mainly sarcasm. There are also not very few good songs after 1981/83. But all albums of the 80's onwards contain too many fillers IMHO.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 20, 2017 16:26

georgelicks
mailexile67
@Georgelicks

I predicted 1 million with the album released on Christmas market, if we see the ABB numbers from 2005 (2.5 million worldwide) and with the market down 70% since then my prediction was a bit optimistic.
The US sales were quite right with the current times (650k for ABB - 280k for B&L so far) that's more than 50% off, but the album did better than expected on some European countries as UK, France, Germany and the Netherlands, you have over 300-350k unpredicted copies sold there.

Still, worldwide sales are down with each new album since Voodoo Lounge:

Voodoo Lounge
6,4 million worldwide
2,4 million in the US

Bridges To Babylon
4,7 M worldwide
1.4 M in the US

A Bigger Bang
2,5 M worldwide
650,000 in the US

Blue and Lonesome
1.5 M worldwide
280,000 in the US

The US drop is the most dramatic one, the "no decent or good album since 1981" street myth, aging fans and lack of new audience is much worse there than in the rest of the world.
That has very little to do with the Stones themselves, and more with the drastic changes in the record industry.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 20, 2017 17:02

Monsoon Ragoon
Maindefender
Monsoon Ragoon
Rocky Dijon
Monsoon Ragoon

Mainly sarcasm. There are also not very few good songs after 1981/83. But all albums of the 80's onwards contain too many fillers IMHO.

There is one that was fortunately not finished for VOODOO LOUNGE that sounds like Jagger wannabeing Kenny Loggins with that horrible Danger Zone song, whatever it's called; Sweethearts Together,Keys To Your Love, Stealing Your Heart - whatever those 2 awful songs on FORTY LICKS are called; Might As Well Get Juiced, Gunface, Always Already Over Suffering Me and possibly the biggest worst one this side of DIRTY WORK, Streets Of Love (and the demolition that is Following The River) are the kind of songs to be terrified of having on the what looks to be the last studio album of originals by the Stones if or whenever it comes out.

Give me Don't Stop and Doom And Gloom all day if that's the case - at least they had a decent beat and melody to them.

Which songs from the Twenty Hundreds should you take? As far as new recordings, the good ones of course: Rough Justice, She Saw Me Coming, Biggest Mistake, Dangerous Beauty, Laugh I Nearly Died, It Won't Take Long, Doom And Gloom, One More Shot, Don't Stop, Let Me Down Slow and all of BLUE & LONESOME.

If you want to include the finished EXILE and SOME GIRLS/EMOTIONAL RESCUE leftover tracks: Plundered My Soul, I'm Not Signifying, Pass The Wine, Do You Think I Really Care, No Spare Parts, Tallahassee Lassie, We Had It All, You Win Again. The rest aren't worth bothering with.

Date: January 20, 2017 17:59

GasLightStreet
Monsoon Ragoon
Maindefender
Monsoon Ragoon
Rocky Dijon
Monsoon Ragoon

There is one that was fortunately not finished for VOODOO LOUNGE that sounds like Jagger wannabeing Kenny Loggins with that horrible Danger Zone song, whatever it's called; Sweethearts Together,Keys To Your Love, Stealing Your Heart - whatever those 2 awful songs on FORTY LICKS are called; Might As Well Get Juiced, Gunface, Always Already Over Suffering Me and possibly the biggest worst one this side of DIRTY WORK, Streets Of Love (and the demolition that is Following The River) are the kind of songs to be terrified of having on the what looks to be the last studio album of originals by the Stones if or whenever it comes out.

Give me Don't Stop and Doom And Gloom all day if that's the case - at least they had a decent beat and melody to them.

Which songs from the Twenty Hundreds should you take? As far as new recordings, the good ones of course: Rough Justice, She Saw Me Coming, Biggest Mistake, Dangerous Beauty, Laugh I Nearly Died, It Won't Take Long, Doom And Gloom, One More Shot, Don't Stop, Let Me Down Slow and all of BLUE & LONESOME.

If you want to include the finished EXILE and SOME GIRLS/EMOTIONAL RESCUE leftover tracks: Plundered My Soul, I'm Not Signifying, Pass The Wine, Do You Think I Really Care, No Spare Parts, Tallahassee Lassie, We Had It All, You Win Again. The rest aren't worth bothering with.

That's what I meant, although I would partly choose other songs as "great" or "bad". I like Might As Well Get Juice and Gunface for instance, even Sweet Neo-Con. There were some - maybe 10 or 15 - real great songs since, hmmm, 1989, many good ones, fewer not so good ones and another 10-15 poor ones, incl. most 2002 tracks. On Beggars Banquet and Sticky Fingers there were 10 great songs each. That's another band.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1936
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home