Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 5, 2017 00:18

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Don't forget:

SFTD
RT
YCAGWYW
LSTNT
YGTS
MR

All Brian-era songs.

And also Street Fighting Man from 1968, so maybe the statement "they pick tracks mainly from '69 to '72 and also 1978" should be adjusted accordingly.

Exactly.

From time to time I have read this discussion. However, I simply do not understand what is being discussed. Because, as far as I have seen from reading,
"Jumpin'Jack Flash" is NOT mentionned as another "before 1969" song that features regularly in setlists. Why is that song excluded from the discussion?

Good catch Witness. thumbs up
Not sure why it hadn't been mentioned, but add it to the list!!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 5, 2017 01:57

Winning Ugly VXII
None of the material from the time the band formed up until the day before they started recording "Beggars' Banquet" excluding "Satisfaction" is performed as often as more recent material from '89 onwards (as a whole). Since 1989.

That's just sad. They've played You Got Me Rocking more than Let's Spend The Night Together since 1989. That's the one, and as far as I know only one, that is the most post 1981 song they've played since 1994. Which is why it's viewed as a war horse.

Date: January 5, 2017 03:29

It's as if they've tried to force You Got Me Rocking down fans' throats, hoping it will somehow gain the status of some of their true warhorses and/or classics.
In the process, they've neglected some of the truly great tunes from the past (pre-'82)- some of them obscure. Trying/hoping to be relevant and contemporary has blurred their judgement it seems.
You could probably count on one hand the number of people at a Stones show who prefer You Got Me Rocking over Lets Spend the Night Together, and I guarantee they won't be among any of the people I'm attending with.
It's not that YGMR is a completely horrible and crappy lame tune (it comes close though), it's just that there are SO many others that are far better!

Date: January 5, 2017 14:10

Hairball
It's as if they've tried to force You Got Me Rocking down fans' throats, hoping it will somehow gain the status of some of their true warhorses and/or classics. .............

You could probably count on one hand the number of people at a Stones show who prefer You Got Me Rocking over Lets Spend the Night Together, and I guarantee they won't be among any of the people I'm attending with.
It's not that YGMR is a completely horrible and crappy lame tune (it comes close though), it's just that there are SO many others that are far better!

You're correct here but,I would say that the songs better than "You Got Me Rocking" span all eras of their career.

As much as I think that they performed "You Got Me Rocking" more oftenthan they should have ,however,any rational person has to admit that it works better in a 70,000 capacity stadium than "She Smiled Sweetly" or "Sittin' On a Fence" probably would work.

Date: January 5, 2017 14:41

Hairball
Witness
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Don't forget:

SFTD
RT
YCAGWYW
LSTNT
YGTS
MR

All Brian-era songs.

And also Street Fighting Man from 1968, so maybe the statement "they pick tracks mainly from '69 to '72 and also 1978" should be adjusted accordingly.

Exactly.

From time to time I have read this discussion. However, I simply do not understand what is being discussed. Because, as far as I have seen from reading,
"Jumpin'Jack Flash" is NOT mentionned as another "before 1969" song that features regularly in setlists. Why is that song excluded from the discussion?

Good catch Witness. thumbs up
Not sure why it hadn't been mentioned, but add it to the list!!!

This is very easy to understand.

None of the material from the time the band formed up until the day before they started recording "Beggars' Banquet" excluding "Satisfaction" is performed as often as more recent material from '89 onwards (as a whole). Since 1989.

In more simple terms, material from July 12th,1962 to (let's say) February 15th,1968.

"Jumping Jack Flash",as far as I know,was recorded during the 1968 Beggars' Banquet recording sessions and then released as a single in the spring of 1968.

I am making this point because someone tried to discredit material from the most recent albums based on most of the songs not being performed often or at all in concert.

Well,if that's the case,then the same standard has to be applied to material from '62-'67 ,/ at least half of 'Exile On Main St.' ,/ IORR the album & 8 (becoming 9) of 10 songs from Beggars' Banquet etc. .

Even most material from 'Black and Blue' and 'Goats Head Soup' has rarely been performed live , especially in the U.S.

"Hand of Fate" only at theatre \ club shows on the 'Licks Tour' as far as the United States go.

"Hot Stuff" only 2 times ever in the U.S. !

"Fool to Cry" only performed maybe 5 or 6 concerts in the U.S. spanning all of those tours.

Before someone posts this,I know about "Angie" being performed live as well as "Memory Motel" and once in a while,"Heartbreaker".

So maybe four songs out of 29 mid-'70's songs.

That makes 25 mostly or , in some cases ,completely left out.

Date: January 5, 2017 15:11

<This is very easy to understand.

None of the material from the time the band formed up until the day before they started recording "Beggars' Banquet" excluding "Satisfaction" is performed as often as more recent material from '89 onwards (as a whole). Since 1989.>

Not that easy, actually confused smiley

I don't know why you're not including Paint It, Black?

Date: January 5, 2017 15:23

Hairball
It's as if they've tried to force You Got Me Rocking down fans' throats, hoping it will somehow gain the status of some of their true warhorses and/or classics.
In the process, they've neglected some of the truly great tunes from the past (pre-'82)- some of them obscure. Trying/hoping to be relevant and contemporary has blurred their judgement it seems.

I like what you said. In fact, I liked something you said so much (I'm going to make it so) you can say it again!

Hairball
Trying/hoping to be relevant and contemporary has blurred their judgement it seems.

AGREED!

Date: January 5, 2017 15:27

Winning Ugly VXII
Hairball
It's as if they've tried to force You Got Me Rocking down fans' throats, hoping it will somehow gain the status of some of their true warhorses and/or classics. .............

You're correct here but,I would say that the songs better than "You Got Me Rocking" span all eras of their career.

As much as I think that they performed "You Got Me Rocking" more oftenthan they should have ,however,any rational person has to admit that it works better in a 70,000 capacity stadium than "She Smiled Sweetly" or "Sittin' On a Fence" probably would work.

One bitsy slight difference between those songs and You Got Me Rocking is... You Got Me Rocking was a single.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 5, 2017 15:49

True, but not a hit single. More of a marketing tool than a single proper as can be said of all of their singles after STEEL WHEELS.

Date: January 5, 2017 15:51

DandelionPowderman

Very simply,the reason is because "Paint it Black" has been performed much less often than material from 1989 and beyond (as a whole),since 1989.

As I posted earlier in this thread,although I thought it was obvious common knowledge :

" There have been plenty of concerts after 1990 without "Paint it Black" (and before 1989). There have been VERY FEW without anything from the 'Steel Wheels' and newer era. "

Date: January 5, 2017 17:54

Winning Ugly VXII
DandelionPowderman

Very simply,the reason is because "Paint it Black" has been performed much less often than material from 1989 and beyond (as a whole),since 1989.

As I posted earlier in this thread,although I thought it was obvious common knowledge :

" There have been plenty of concerts after 1990 without "Paint it Black" (and before 1989). There have been VERY FEW without anything from the 'Steel Wheels' and newer era. "

But as I mentioned earlier, as a working functional band, it's only natural to want to play more recent stuff vs. their earlier stuff no matter how bland their newer stuff is. This does not equate to these being better by any stretch of the imagination which seems to be what your theory is claiming. Of course it's a matter of opinion, but if they truly thought and were confident that their recent work was worthy, then by your logic a majority of their setlist would be culled from it. Instead they play one or two obligatory 'new' tunes (post '81 through ABB ), while the majority of their setlist is from the first 20 years...or as you put it, "they pick tracks mainly from '69 to '72 and also 1978", as well as a smattering of tunes from the pre-69 era. Maybe not as many pre-69 tunes as latter day tunes, but as artists they want to be seen as relevant and contemporary no matter how inferior those 'new' tunes are. Can't blame them really, but the latter day era studio wise is definitely not what made them the legends they are, and they know it.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 6, 2017 12:07

"...i think it would be nice to do new songs and go in a new direction with them." MJ

New direction?! confused smiley

[www.msn.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-06 12:10 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: January 6, 2017 12:21

KRiffhard
"...i think it would be nice to do new songs and go in a new direction with them." MJ

[www.msn.com]

Fits the quote of Ron's son who said in mid 2016 he heard some of the new tracks and described them as "different".

Date: January 6, 2017 13:11

henrik87
KRiffhard

[www.msn.com]

Fits the quote of Ron's son who said in mid 2016 he heard some of the new tracks and described them as "different".

thumbs up
I remember a pic with Mick and One Direction's producer...they worked together.

Date: January 6, 2017 13:15

henrik87
KRiffhard

[www.msn.com]

As well as Keith's description: «It will be a surprise for many».

Date: January 6, 2017 13:24

[www.instagram.com]

"New ideas in the making..."

Working on Mick's demo?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-06 13:26 by KRiffhard.

Date: January 6, 2017 13:29

KRiffhard
[www.instagram.com]

Working on Mick's demo?

An old pic. I sincerely hope Falk won't be anywhere near a Stones record, though..

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 6, 2017 13:29

Perhaps it will be an album of Cistercian plainsong or Elizabethan Madrigals ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-06 13:31 by Spud.

Date: January 6, 2017 13:31

DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
[www.instagram.com]

Working on Mick's demo?

An old pic. I sincerely hope Falk won't be anywhere near a Stones record, though..

thumbs up
I hope they worked on songs for Mick's next solo album.

Date: January 6, 2017 13:39

New direction or 'One direction'?
"Carl Falk is a Swedish songwriter, record producer and musician and has worked with artists such as Demi Lovato, One Direction, Nicki Minaj, Ellie Goulding, Madonna, Avicii, Ariana Grande and Jason Derulo"

I don't want that horrible sound on a new Stones album.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: January 6, 2017 16:25

Working on a Mick's solo album during Stones sessions?!I doubt it...

Date: January 6, 2017 18:49

KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
[www.instagram.com]

Working on Mick's demo?

thumbs up
I hope they worked on songs for Mick's next solo album.

Have to say I've never heard of him until now:Carl Falk

Having worked with One Direction, Nicki Minaj, Madonna, et al., and being successful with all that, probably just the type of guy Mick wants for his solo material.
"His favourite instrument is the guitar as he tries to "always have guitar on my songs, almost like a trademark"'....
Sounds like a Rock and Roll kind of guy. eye rolling smiley winking smiley

As for working with the Stones please no.

Date: January 6, 2017 18:59

Rocky Dijon
True, but not a hit single. More of a marketing tool than a single proper as can be said of all of their singles after STEEL WHEELS.

A marketing tool for 90210...

Date: January 6, 2017 19:03

KRiffhard
New direction or 'One direction'?
"Carl Falk is a Swedish songwriter, record producer and musician and has worked with artists such as Demi Lovato, One Direction, Nicki Minaj, Ellie Goulding, Madonna, Avicii, Ariana Grande and Jason Derulo"

I don't want that horrible sound on a new Stones album.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: January 8, 2017 13:07

Am i the only one who is waiting so impatiently for original stuff?! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Can't wait!

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: January 8, 2017 13:23

So Mick will be working with him and Keith with Don, like on BTB? Let's try to stay calm until we know more. smoking smiley

Date: January 8, 2017 13:34

MonkeyMan2000
So Mick will be working with him and Keith with Don, like on BTB? Let's try to stay calm until we know more. smoking smiley

It's an old tweet.

Date: January 8, 2017 13:38

DandelionPowderman
MonkeyMan2000

It's an old tweet.

Hi DP! It's from april 2016...and the Stones were in studio at the time.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 8, 2017 14:57

KRiffhard
Am i the only one who is waiting so impatiently for original stuff?! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Can't wait!

Me too! I love Rolling Stones music. Blue and Lonesome is very good but it's the music that influenced them, not the stuff they then evolved into. The Stones created a whole unique genre of music. Nothing else sounds like the Stones doing their own music.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: January 8, 2017 15:06

HonkeyTonkFlash
KRiffhard
Can't wait!

Me too! I love Rolling Stones music. Blue and Lonesome is very good but it's the music that influenced them, not the stuff they then evolved into. The Stones created a whole unique genre of music. Nothing else sounds like the Stones doing their own music.

thumbs upthumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1998
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home