Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 29, 2016 17:47

You Got Me Rocking isn't an especially good song...

...but it is a great stadium rocker...easy to see why it's retained a regular slot in the set list on that basis.

[Wouldn't want to hear it in a club though .]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 29, 2016 19:33

Winning Ugly VXII
The reality is that if you take away "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and maybe "Paint it Black" from the equation,material from 1989 and forward has appeared in their live concerts much more often than anything from the pre-1968 era.

You might not even need to take "Paint it Black" out of consideration. There have been plenty of concerts after 1990 without "Paint it Black" (and before 1989). There have been VERY FEW without anything from the 'Steel Wheels' and newer era.

The songs they select are mainly from years 6-20 not really year 1 through year 20.

Unfair extra credit is given to the first 5 + years by lumping it in with the "Golden Era" through 'Tattoo You' period.

Exactly how long did "Lady Jane" last before they quickly decided to drop it four years ago ?? "Around and Around" ..... one show. At least "Mixed Emotions" saw 2 in-concert performances. The song might have also been played in Las Vegas if the set list were not cut even further due to Jagger's sore throat problems.

What I am simply trying to say is this :

Songs from 1989 and onwards , collectively as a group , are much more common since 1989 than are songs from 1962 through 1967 (other than "Satisfaction") collectively as a group .

OK I understand all that, but as you said yourself "In reality,they pick tracks mainly from '69 to '72 and also 1978".
Mainly being the key word here. So rather than me saying they can pick and choose from their first 20 years, I'll settle for the way you broke it down which is actually more impressive.

It makes sense that "songs from 1989 and onwards , collectively as a group , are much more common since 1989 than are songs from 1962 through 1967 (other than "Satisfaction") collectively as a group"....
After all they're newer and reflect the modern era...it's what most bands do. Doesn't really prove that they're better though - just that they want to showcase something new.
As for not playing tunes from their very early years, perhaps they don't want to be seen as a nostalgia/Vegas act. lol

So with that said, they pick most (and their best) tunes for their live shows from from a very short period ('69 to '72 and also 1978)...much more than anything from the last 30+ years.
They must have their reasons for ignoring most everything from this latter period over that specific period you cite...probably even they realize the songs don't stand up quality wise.

It really comes down to personal preference, and the consensus amongst most (including the band it seems) is the latter years leave alot to be desired when compared to the earlier/middle years - or the '69 to '72 and also 1978 periods if you will.
As for me, I'll take the very early beginning era (up to '69)vs the latter day era (the last 30+ years) any day. I'll also take everything/anything up to 1981 over the last 30+ years also. Nothing wrong with liking or loving the last 30+ years (and/or Mick solo)...everyone has different standards and taste.

ps - Forgot to add in my previous post that my young niece also really liked Crosseyed Heart! thumbs up

Date: December 29, 2016 19:56

DandelionPowderman
Don't forget:

SFTD
RT
YCAGWYW
LSTNT
YGTS
MR

All Brian-era songs.

And also Street Fighting Man from 1968, so maybe the statement "they pick tracks mainly from '69 to '72 and also 1978" should be adjusted accordingly.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 29, 2016 20:21

Look at their set lists from 1994. They played usually 5 songs from VOODOO LOUNGE.
The most recent year for a song in the set list to 1994?

Start Me Up.

The BRIDGES tour they eventually got up to doing 5 new songs and occasionally did Rock And A Hard Place
but did You Got Me Rocking considerably more.
Aside from the few BRIDGES tunes the most recent year was...

Start Me Up. They still ignored a lot of other years.

The LICKS tour was the same thing... with You Got Me Rocking being the main post-1981 song in the set list (other than Don't Stop, of course).

When it got to the BANG tour it was a similar thing in general... 1981, 1994, 2005.

That's a huge gap. And it's been that way ever since overall. It's just weird that they ignore the good songs they have on the albums they ignore post-1981. Granted, some of them are terrible (DIRTY WORK) or not very good (STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE) or are just merely interesting (BRIDGES TO BABYLON) but they thought they were good enough to release at the time and they promoted singles.

Yet they don't seem to exist to the Stones. Oh OK so they played Mixed Emotions one time this year for the first time since 1975 or whenever that remix of Miss You was released on the EXILE tour.

The general audience would rather hear Let's Spend The Night Together or Paint It Black, the classic rock radio staples, than anything post-1981 apparently.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 29, 2016 20:23

So maybe a new album of originals will grab some attention due to the great hype that BLUE & LONESOME got. If it's the "usual" that we've gotten from them ever since STEEL WHEELS then it'll be a lot of hype for one day with the press conference and then... the best thing since SOME GIRLS again and then... yawn.

Unfortunately that seems to be what to expect with a new album. It would be nice if they really did shake the can up real good before opening it and gave it one last good blast.

Date: December 29, 2016 20:24

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Don't forget:

SFTD
RT
YCAGWYW
LSTNT
YGTS
MR

All Brian-era songs.

And also Street Fighting Man from 1968, so maybe the statement "they pick tracks mainly from '69 to '72 and also 1978" should be adjusted accordingly.

Exactly.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 29, 2016 20:48

Another album in 2017?!
Are you sure? eye rolling smiley
BV, give us some hope!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-29 21:07 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 29, 2016 21:09

Why not?!?

Date: December 29, 2016 21:22

Bad vibes...but i'm waiting with trepidation to be proved wrong.

Date: December 29, 2016 21:40

It will be amazing!thumbs up

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 29, 2016 22:07

To tour Europe and write and record a new album of originals with Mick and Keith writing together like the old days, would be a tall order for 2017.

Date: December 29, 2016 22:22

mpj200
To tour Europe and write and record a new album of originals with Mick and Keith writing together like the old days, would be a tall order for 2017.

Hi Mpj,
what do you think about this interview?

"Being prolific dont mean shit“, replies Richards.
“I‘ve got three songs and they‘re dynamite. I don‘t want to make any decisions about this until this record (B&L) comes out, because I think it might radically change Mick‘s attitude; it might change mine“.
I want to see the fallout from this record before I decide wheteher I want to record 40 of Mick‘s songs or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That‘s my thing. That‘s my ball there. I‘ve always got a few songs on the back burner and so does Mick - he writes a lot. I don‘t. I tend to concentrate on two or three really interesting riffs or ideas, rather than being prolific“.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 29, 2016 22:38

And there you have it. Maybe B&L will bring them together. But time is still not on their side for 2017. They are happy just to wake up and be alive. Their priorities are not the same as 10 years ago. We should respect that.

Date: December 29, 2016 22:56

But at the same time it seems they want to finish this new album:

Ronnie: "We have (finishing the new album) sort of tentatively booked in the near future. But with everybody dealing with Christmas coming up, having a little bit of time to put your feet up because we haven't really stopped - I know Charlie wants the month of March off, which is fine: let's have a holiday, whatever. And I don't blame him! So by the time we've all done a bit of that, we'll get back in the studio and finish up what we've started the new songs-wise.
Keith just tried to get us into the studio in New York last week. He said Can't we go in? Can't we find some time? It was Hang on, do us a favour, we've all got Christmas coming up, we've got to spent time with our families!... It's going to pick up steam again"

Charlie: "We went back in recently, doing some new stuff... (Blue & Lonesome won't be our last album). It's never going be the last - Keith won't have it. It's never going to be the last show and never going to be the last album. Who knows? And no, we're in the middle of doing another one. But it's really Mick and Keith 'cause they write them... There'll be another studio album, I think. I'm sure Mick and Keith think there will be"

Mick: "We'll finish the album but I don't know when, because you want it to be really good and everything... I hope it's gonna be a very eclectic album. I hope some of it's gonna be recognizable Stones and some of it's gonna be some Stones you never heard before, maybe... I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that. I hope next year"

Date: December 29, 2016 23:37

This story will have an happy end!smoking smileythumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: December 30, 2016 01:06

Hoping you're right mailexile67, but it sounds like a quagmire in Stonesland!!! sad smileyconfused smiley

Only time will tell, so nothing to fret over right now I suppose...drinking smiley

Date: December 30, 2016 01:15

It seems that they must write the "Divine comedy"...eye rolling smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outthumbs down

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 30, 2016 12:38

imo B&L commercial success is going to be both the boost to complete and release the new album of originals and the cause of it being postponed until late 2017. They need time to negotiate on mick's material an the how and when being back in the studio, B&L long wave of sale will be the fitting alibi to take time.

me I hope Mick's coming to terms with Keith "blues attitude" in recording the material (working face to face in the studio, that is)

that is what has worked mighty fine with B&L
(and Mick should know, or been notified with bolded characters)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-30 12:42 by maumau.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 30, 2016 13:09

mpj200
And there you have it. Maybe B&L will bring them together. But time is still not on their side for 2017. They are happy just to wake up and be alive. Their priorities are not the same as 10 years ago. We should respect that.

I think their priorities are better for us today as opposed to 10 years ago...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-30 13:10 by Maindefender.

Date: December 30, 2016 16:21

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Don't forget:

SFTD
RT
YCAGWYW
LSTNT
YGTS
MR

All Brian-era songs.

Exactly.

I consider all of the songs from 'Let it Bleed' to be from late 1969 .... when they were released ..... even though some such as "YCAGWYW" were recorded in late 1968.

"Sympathy for the Devil" is the only one there from 1968 (release date-wise) and prior that they now play more often than material from '89 and onwards.

"You Got the Silver" was never played until the 'No Security Tour' and also was not played from 2002 to mid-tour 2006 or in 2012.

"Let's Spend the Night Together" after 1982 was only played in '97/'98 , '06 , and maybe '07 up until the 50th anniversary tour. Also,it was only played at the El Mocambo concerts between 1969 and 1978.

"Street Fighting Man" (which is now the 2nd most often performed song from Beggars' Banquet) has not been performed very often at all since the 1995 tour ended outside of the 'Licks Tour' of 2002 / 2003. 2 times in 1998 , ZERO times in 1997,1999,2005,2006,2007. Now it has been relegated to the occasional performance as a "fan vote" song.

Not near the frequency of performance of 1989 and onwards material.

Date: December 30, 2016 16:36

Brian played on all those tunes, hence they're not from late 1969.

Date: December 30, 2016 16:58

What does he play on "Midnight Rambler" exactly ?? I know that he's given a credit but,it might be questionable.

Anyway,that's not the point I am making. None of the material from the time the band formed up until the day before they started recording "Beggars' Banquet" excluding "Satisfaction" is performed as often as more recent material from '89 onwards (as a whole). Since 1989.

Also,"Sympathy for the Devil" is the only song FROM "Beggars' Banquet" that is performed anywhere near a regular basis any longer.

Date: December 30, 2016 17:33

A drum, methinks.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 30, 2016 21:39

georgelicks

Drive Me Too Hard
Get Out Of My Way

Maybe the last one is the song where they "hit the wall", B&L comes right behind it.

Those two titles sound like the songs are far from classics. Sounds like Dirty Work sessions for which a lot of trash was rehearsed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-30 22:01 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: December 31, 2016 15:52

Monsoon Ragoon
georgelicks

Drive Me Too Hard
Get Out Of My Way

Maybe the last one is the song where they "hit the wall", B&L comes right behind it.

Those two titles sound like the songs are far from classics. Sounds like Dirty Work sessions for which a lot of trash was rehearsed.

'Get out of my way' sounds like Mick's song 'I can't take it no more' from Superheavy...a horrible song. I hope there aren't songs like that or 'Everybody gettin' high' among new Mick's "40 demo":

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
thumbs down

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-31 16:06 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 31, 2016 16:02

I just like to hear them playing well as a band...

...not bothered what they play ...more interested in how they play it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-31 16:56 by Spud.

Date: January 4, 2017 20:21

C'mon boys, let's go back in studio!
We want new stuff! hot smiley

Date: January 4, 2017 21:07

+ 1 thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 4, 2017 22:24

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Don't forget:

SFTD
RT
YCAGWYW
LSTNT
YGTS
MR

All Brian-era songs.

Exactly.

From time to time I have read this discussion. However, I simply do not understand what is being discussed. Because, as far as I have seen from reading, "Jumpin'Jack Flash" is NOT mentionned as another "before 1969" song that features regularly in setlists. Why is that song excluded from the discussion?

Date: January 4, 2017 23:42

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Don't forget:

SFTD
RT
YCAGWYW
LSTNT
YGTS
MR

All Brian-era songs.

Exactly.

From time to time I have read this discussion. However, I simply do not understand what is being discussed. Because, as far as I have seen from reading, "Jumpin'Jack Flash" is NOT mentionned as another "before 1969" song that features regularly in setlists. Why is that song excluded from the discussion?

OT

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1796
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home