Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 23, 2016 23:45

crumbling_mice
Please god...no new material. I have the greatest rock albums ever produced by these guys, the more dirge they update their catalogue with the more they dilute their essence. Could they produce anything worse than ABB? Is it musically possible?

Keith don't go, to any studio!

thumbs down

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 24, 2016 00:01

thumbs downthumbs down

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 24, 2016 00:21

Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes the well runs dry thumbs up

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: December 24, 2016 00:45

crumbling_mice

If they have the energy and feel they can still create worthwhile original work then all power to them. Although IMO the signs ain't good. A Bigger Bang sounded like a different band from the one which recorded 'Steel Wheels', 'Voodoo Lounge' or even the Forty Licks tracks. Oh well maybe I'm missing Bill.
At this late stage in their careers attention to their unreleased studio material might be a better option.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-24 00:46 by MrTurner.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 24, 2016 01:03

I hate all this moaning about, "Oh please, not another A Bigger Bang!" For crying out loud, the era of albums like Exile or Some Girls is long gone but as rock and roll albums go, A Bigger Bang was pretty damn good. If they can still produce something of that caliber, it - of course - won't be another Some Girls but it will still be way the hell better than anything that might come out from, say - Journey...Foreigner...hell, even The Who, if they were so inclined...It's Only Rock and Roll, folks. Even Stones music of ABB quality is so much better than what passes for so many other band's rock and roll.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 24, 2016 01:20

crumbling_mice
Please god...no new material. I have the greatest rock albums ever produced by these guys, the more dirge they update their catalogue with the more they dilute their essence. Could they produce anything worse than ABB? Is it musically possible?

Keith don't go, to any studio!

What a dumb question.

Yes they could and they did - in 1986.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 24, 2016 03:51

ABB was horrible - there's (hopefully) no way they'll come close to repeating that mess again. With the newly acquired pep in their step from the success of the B&L covers, there's no turning back to mediocrity and absurdity.
With Keith taking the reigns and dumping any previous demos brought to prior sessions (that ended up going nowhere), it just can't happen. Not expecting another Exile, but there's still hope for something worthy.
I imagine (and am hoping for) something similar to Crosseyed Heart - quality written songs (some acoustic, some electric), and a cover or two - but given the full on Stones treatment with Mick playing some harp here and there.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 24, 2016 04:09

I just don’t buy into the hype that “modern” Stones records aren’t good. Are Voodoo Lounge + Bridges to Babylon etc, Exile on Main Street or Sticky Fingers? No they aren’t, but they are still worthy records in their own right.

Date: December 24, 2016 05:17

It's opinion not 'hype' J.Kirk, and seemingly the consensus amongst many.
Granted there are some who like those and deem them worthy (like yourself), and they have every right to do so.
As for me personally, they just don't have very much redeeming quality and haven't stood the test of time as albums.
Even the Stones don't give them any thought when playing live in concert...except maybe one or two songs?

Date: December 24, 2016 09:44

crumbling_mice

Face the facts. A new album of originals is coming!
"There's about 10 or 12 new songs that Mick actually has been cooking up and Keith's got the odd one, too" RW

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 24, 2016 10:17

First this summer comes a remastered Blue & Lonesome reissue with bonus Tallahassee Lassie type outtakes.

Date: December 24, 2016 11:53

IMO the 'horribleness' of ABB is easily fixed. Because I think even the Stones themselves can see what went south on that album: it was rushed. They basically released "New Album, Working Stage 2". A bunch of new songs have taken shape, but it is still mainly Jagger and Keith demo-ing w/ Charlie. Ron comes in the o/d a little.
But at this point: weak lyrics often, no good lead guitars, no edits!.
Had they taken another 6 months with ABB, maybe it would have been better.
Still - with Ron Wood's re-emergence, the success of the old ways and B&L, all the good reviews directed specifically at Jagger, might make them approach a new album different;y.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-24 11:54 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 24, 2016 12:29

I still think ABB is the best album since TY, even better than DW ;-) But all albums after TY have some filler tracks in them. They are all not that bad, but no classics. You won't record a classic with age 50 or 60, that's what this is all about. Look what shit Phil Collins or Rod Stewart recorded in later years. ABB would have been worked better as a 12 track thing, missing the weaker tracks and incl. Under The Radar.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 24, 2016 13:19

I know what you mean of course, but there are exceptions. Dylan's Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft or Modern Times are classic (it is a matter of opinion, I know), but the best example is the series of recordings Johnny Cash did with Rick Rubin. Yes, it is not as widely know as Walk The Line or Ring of Fire, but those 6 CDs are absolute clasics.

Date: December 24, 2016 14:09

Happy24
I know what you mean of course, but there are exceptions. Dylan's Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft or Modern Times are classic (it is a matter of opinion, I know), but the best example is the series of recordings Johnny Cash did with Rick Rubin. Yes, it is not as widely know as Walk The Line or Ring of Fire, but those 6 CDs are absolute clasics.

I have a dream: Don Was replaced by Rick Rubin.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 24, 2016 14:10

Happy24

Agree with Dylan, but he is an exception. Cash maybe, but that's nothing for me. Most acts go down artistically as time passes by. Even the last Springsteen albums we're not good, but he had very good stuff released in his mid 50s.

Date: December 24, 2016 18:55

Happy24
I know what you mean of course, but there are exceptions. Dylan's Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft or Modern Times are classic (it is a matter of opinion, I know), but the best example is the series of recordings Johnny Cash did with Rick Rubin. Yes, it is not as widely know as Walk The Line or Ring of Fire, but those 6 CDs are absolute classics.

I would agree especially regarding Dylan, and interestingly enough those albums followed his two albums of covers (folk and blues, etc.) - Good as I've Been to You and World Gone Wrong - both great albums in their own right.
Hopefully the Stones can follow the same blueprint set by Dylan of going back to their roots (B&L), shaking off the cobwebs, digging deep, and unleashing a great new album of originals!

Date: December 24, 2016 18:58

Hairball
Granted there are some who like those and deem them worthy (like yourself), and they have every right to do so.

Even the Stones don't give them any thought when playing live in concert...except maybe one or two songs?

They don't play a solid half of "Exile On Main St." live in concert either.

Neither do they play material from 1962-1967 (other than Satisfaction,Paint it Black just recently and once in a while Get Off of My Cloud) when they were "so much better" than they were in the '90's .

They don't play much from "Beggars' Banquet" nor "Black and Blue" nor "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" nor "Emotional Rescue" not "Goats Head Soup" now that I think of it,they don't play most of their material on anything less than an occasional basis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-24 19:00 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Date: December 24, 2016 19:16

Winning Ugly VXII
Hairball

They don't play a solid half of "Exile On Main St." live in concert either.

Neither do they play material from 1962-1967 (other than Satisfaction,Paint it Black just recently and once in a while Get Off of My Cloud) when they were "so much better" than they were in the '90's .

They don't play much from "Beggars' Banquet" nor "Black and Blue" nor "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" nor "Emotional Rescue" not "Goats Head Soup" now that I think of it,they don't play most of their material on anything less than an occasional basis.

I take it you're a fan of alot of the 'recent' stuff, as well as Jagger solo going by your username - that's great!
To clarify for you, I wasn't saying they play whole sides of albums like Exile. They have so many great tunes spread out from their first 20 years that they're able to pick and choose from that era as they please. ALL the warhorses are from this period. I can only think of two songs that are sometimes played from the last 30 years (correct me if I'm wrong*)- Out of Control and You Got Me Rockin' - and by no means can they considered warhorses. They recently played Mixed Emotions, and have to say it was as bad as it was on the studio album - just my opinion. They have completely forgotten their most recent studio album of originals - A Bigger Bang - and rightfully/thankfully so. On the recent 'mini-tour', they weren't even playing Doom and Gloom or One More Shot from GRRRR anymore. Make of that what you will, but my opinion remains the same - the Stones were indeed so much better in their first 20 years.

*edit: Keith still plays Slipping Away occasionally?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-24 19:30 by Hairball.

Date: December 24, 2016 19:22

Some of you make me laugh...hanging on for anything the band throws you...the crumbs from a once lavish feast of music and creativity. You happily try and convince yourselves there must be something, anything that could be still deemed listenable for more than a couple of times.

To a certain extent the band are guilty of this as well...the emperor's new clothes thing. In reality they are treading very stale water creativity wise and in my humble opinion, they would be better served to turn their attention to their musical roots and kick on from where they left off with B&L.

They, collectively have an amazing knowledge of blues, country, soul, jazz and rock an roll, and could still do some old chestnuts justice, but new material? I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's anything other than the tired old formula rehashed with a smattering of harmonica. Merry Christmas to you all x

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 24, 2016 19:37

The success of B&L will change the things in the near future of the Stones, there's a big market out there wanting this kind of stuff from them, more than 1 million albums sold in less than 3 weeks with minimal work in the studio, Universal will push them in this way, not many acts on today's market can sell 1 million albums so fast.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 24, 2016 19:55

georgelicks
The success of B&L will change the things in the near future of the Stones, there's a big market out there wanting this kind of stuff from them, more than 1 million albums sold in less than 3 weeks with minimal work in the studio, Universal will push them in this way, not many acts on today's market can sell 1 million albums so fast.

thumbs up

Date: December 24, 2016 20:02

georgelicks

Exactly...that's where the money is and that's where they should be looking future wise. Even keith's last album wasn't anything to write home abouft....better than ithought and I kept it playing in the car for a week...skipping to the better tracks of course!

Date: December 24, 2016 20:31

georgelicks

This means B&L vol.2 or other covers?
I hope not.
One album with 'this kind of stuff' is good...two are boring.
I'm sure they'll publish original stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-24 20:35 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 24, 2016 20:51

With any luck they hold too simple, not too many bells and whistles the new album in 2017. And with the same joy and energy, we will get back just as top album as Blue and Lonesome. I bought in 1964 my first Rolling Stones album, and I have years and years of pleasure with the Stones lived music. But in recent years I had so little enough. But incredible that these men of the 70 in the year 2015/2016 put an album with so much simplicity and 3 chords music, but just as addictive and exciting as my first album in 1964. Gr Bert.

Met een beetje geluk houden ze het nieuwe album 2017 ook eenvoudig, niet te veel toeters en bellen. En met het zelfde plezier en energie, dan krijgen we weer net zo'n top album als Blue and Lonesome. Ik kocht in 1964 mijn eerste Rolling Stones album, en ik heb jaren en jaren plezier met de Stones muziek beleefd. Maar de laatste jaren had ik er zo beetje genoeg van. Maar ongelofelijk dat deze mannen van in de 70 in het jaar 2015/2016 een album neer zetten met zoveel eenvoud en 3 akkoorden muziek, maar net zo verslavend en opwindend als mijn eerste album 1964.
Groeten Bert.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 24, 2016 21:36

Neither do I now want BLUE AND LONESOME, part two, nor A BIGGER BANG, part two ( how much I did like A BIGGER BANG, and how much I as a compromise may be contented by a BLUE AND LONESOME, part two). Instead I want an album of mainly Jagger & Richards originals that is capable to break out of the sequence of albums 'post '89'.

The band ought to be inspired and filled with the feel and flavour of BLUE AND LONESOME. However, that ought to mean more time in the studio, in order to avoid A BIGGER BANG, 2 , but instead to absorb influence from BLUE AND LONESOME towards new material.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 24, 2016 21:44

KRiffhard
georgelicks

This means B&L vol.2 or other covers?
I hope not.
One album with 'this kind of stuff' is good...two are boring.
I'm sure they'll publish original stuff.

Nor can they play the blues. smileys with beer

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 25, 2016 11:15

They will sell over a million also with new stuff!

Date: December 25, 2016 15:50

mailexile67
They will sell over a million also with new stuff!

thumbs up

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 25, 2016 19:25

Bigger bang is outstanding guitar filled cd.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home