Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 11, 2016 12:24

From 'Uncut':

“Those new songs we worked on? To be honest with you, we don't really have an handle on it yet. The clay is on the table, but it doesn't look like President Lincoln yet! I will say that for this new album, Mick has played me probably 40 songs that he has been working on and they really run the gamut” Don Was

(About Mick's 40 new song) "Being prolific don't mean shit. I've got 3 songs and they're dynamite. I don‘t want to make any decisions about this until this record (Blue and Lonesome) comes out, because i think it might radically change Mick‘s attitude; it might change mine. I want to see the fallout from this record before i decide wheteher i want to record 40 of Mick‘s songs or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That‘s my thing. That's my ball there. I've always got a few songs on the back burner and so does Mick - he writes a lot. I don't. I tend to concentrate on 2 or 3 really interesting riffs or idea, rather than be prolific" KR

“I was writing last night (…) but i think it would be nice to do new songs and go in a new direction with them” Mick Jagger

Tons of homemade demos versus 2/3 riffs/idea. I love these boys! smiling smiley

Date: December 13, 2016 19:54

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 14, 2016 01:27

would love an album of new material and maybe chuck in a blues cover part 2 album too, and a live album of recent material, maybe an old stones outtake album and a live album from the vaults to top off 2017.

or is that asking too much

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 14, 2016 01:45

buttons67
would love an album of new material and maybe chuck in a blues cover part 2 album too, and a live album of recent material, maybe an old stones outtake album and a live album from the vaults to top off 2017.

So, 2017 - 5 new albums. smileys with beer

Date: December 14, 2016 08:08

mtaylor

So, 2017 - 5 new albums. smileys with beer

After 12 years it's time for original material.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 14, 2016 11:56

+ 1 thumbs upthumbs up

Date: December 15, 2016 12:21

Are they in studio now?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 15, 2016 17:45

DandelionPowderman

they seem to really be on a roll. it would sure be the right conditions for an album.

they've been very productive lately, especially Mick and Ronnie...

A year since they started work on the blues album that took a total of 5 days or whatever and next to nothing since and they're on a roll? Apparently the right conditions for an album were a problem.

Mick and Ronnie have been productive lately? They have? How so?

I think you know how grinning smiley

Oh. Duh. Right over my head HA HA!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 15, 2016 17:51

Just that quote from Keith says it all - it's gonna be another BTB and ABB situation.

What B&L proves is that by playing blues that, for the most part, have interesting yet simple riffs in them they need to get back to doing that. There's been the odd riff or lick here and there on the last 3 LPs but that's 1994, 1997, 2005 and not many songs.

They just need to plow through some riffs and get back to it.

Date: December 22, 2016 19:34

What now? After this unexpected success i was wondering if they'll continue to work with original material..

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 22, 2016 19:42

I think the success will buoy them, and have them look very critically at their own material and spend more time on it than they did say, with ABB. There was some good potential on that album.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 22, 2016 20:30

KRiffhard

What now? After this unexpected success i was wondering if they'll continue to work with original material..

In the german Rolling Stone, issue 1/2017, there's an interview by Brian Hiatt with the Stones and there's stated (p. 78) that the Stones will continue working on a album with new material, beside touring. 10-12 songs are from Mick, says Ronnie. A few songs will be from Keith. Some songs will base on ideas from 15 years ago or more. They'll release the album, but according to Mick there's currently no time frame or release date.

Date: December 22, 2016 20:38

treaclefingers
I think the success will buoy them, and have them look very critically at their own material and spend more time on it than they did say, with ABB. There was some good potential on that album.

thumbs up
I hope so!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 22, 2016 22:11

crumbling_mice
These guys are well past their sell by dates when it comes to writing new music and the worrying thing is that they are surrounded by people saying how fantastic they are and inflating their egos. Musically they can still play well, they haven't got that hungry drug and booze fuelled drive that they once had, but that is to be expected, they are multi millionaires living in the kind of luxury we can only dream of. That doesn't equate well to writing great new songs, it encourages mediocrity, going through the motions, with the final result being something akin to ABB. A dreadful, cringingly bad pile of awful songs.

What they do still have is an extensive knowledge of great music, the music which they desperately wanted to be a part of when they first got together...and it is that which made B&L what it is. Any attempts at new music would fall far short of this and would be judged against it, so why bother?

Keith's last album was ok, nothing outstanding, Jagger gave up on the idea of solo work thankfully and Ron is really the only one left who can write a half decent song....and they still don;t allow him to be included in Stones song writing so he wouldn't have much input.

Let's keep the B&L theme going, dig down into the archives of great blues, country, reggae and soul...the love will shine through as it did in B&L and it will be as successful.

These are old guys, pensioners, they should do what they do best and return to their roots.

thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 22, 2016 22:44

Father Ted
crumbling_mice
These guys are well past their sell by dates when it comes to writing new music and the worrying thing is that they are surrounded by people saying how fantastic they are and inflating their egos. Musically they can still play well, they haven't got that hungry drug and booze fuelled drive that they once had, but that is to be expected, they are multi millionaires living in the kind of luxury we can only dream of. That doesn't equate well to writing great new songs, it encourages mediocrity, going through the motions, with the final result being something akin to ABB. A dreadful, cringingly bad pile of awful songs.

What they do still have is an extensive knowledge of great music, the music which they desperately wanted to be a part of when they first got together...and it is that which made B&L what it is. Any attempts at new music would fall far short of this and would be judged against it, so why bother?

Keith's last album was ok, nothing outstanding, Jagger gave up on the idea of solo work thankfully and Ron is really the only one left who can write a half decent song....and they still don;t allow him to be included in Stones song writing so he wouldn't have much input.

Let's keep the B&L theme going, dig down into the archives of great blues, country, reggae and soul...the love will shine through as it did in B&L and it will be as successful.

These are old guys, pensioners, they should do what they do best and return to their roots.

thumbs up

thumbs down Nonsense.

Date: December 22, 2016 23:04

crumbling_mice

thumbs down

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 23, 2016 00:13

crumbling_mice

It is all very well that they returned to their blues roots. The fruit from that manouvre are magnificent. But not to stay there and repeat themselves. If possible, rather to start from there, at the same time in feel and flavour influenced by their renewed contact with the blues, somehow all the same going out in a new direction. Maybe re-record the songs they have done so far with such an approach, and add other songs.

All that could mean Rolling Stones music that does not become another 'post 1989'-album, but instead constitutes a completely new phase in their development, signalled and inspired by BLUE AND LONESOME as a renewed starting point.

It is my hope that this may be their aim and a musical area, where both Mick and Keith will feel that the band will realize the respective ambitions of the two of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-23 00:14 by Witness.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 23, 2016 11:07

I still think that the important thing will be to carry a bit of the B&L method over to the new material.

Playing & recording as a band in a real space, then O/D-ing whatever else is required onto an essentially complete track.

Date: December 23, 2016 11:37

Now they're back pedaling on the new material. First it was "we have a bunch of new songs just about ready", and maybe they were going to throw them out like with ABB. But this huge success of a) a new Stones album, and b) it being the Blues I'm sure is having them re-evaluate.

Edit - well I see treacle pretty much just said all that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-23 11:38 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 23, 2016 11:38

Spud
I still think that the important thing will be to carry a bit of the B&L method over to the new material.

Playing & recording as a band in a real space, then O/D-ing whatever else is required onto an essentially complete track.

That way of working would generate the best music, is my guess also. Inspire each other!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: December 23, 2016 13:41

Spud

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: December 23, 2016 18:12

How many sessions have they done this year?
April and july?

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 23, 2016 20:32

I happen to like Bigger Bang, and B2B. I know some judicious editing would've benefited both albums.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 23, 2016 20:51

@KRiffhard

April, June and July for sure...

Date: December 23, 2016 22:00

mailexile67
@KRiffhard

April, June and July for sure...

Thanks! thumbs up
Maybe this month too?!

"(...)We've been in the studio just before Christmas, we're cutting some new tracks. And no doubt when this is all finished, at the end of the spring we'll do some more" Mick Jagger (February 2016)

"(..) But we're also doing new songs too. So they want to finish - they're not sure how they're going to put it out yet. But the blues album is done. It was done after two days. But I think we're going to hang on and finish the new songs too and see what we've got there" Don Was (May 2016)

c. June 13-26, 2016: The Rolling Stones resume recording sessions in London, England.

"The Stones are working on one, yeah - at the moment, as we speak. We cut a few new things and we're going in (the studio) again later this year.
Keith Richards (July 2016)

"We started (making a new album when we recorded the blues covers) and then we went back in recently, doing some new stuff. I don't know how long that's going to take" Charlie Watts (Oct. 2016)

"I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that"
MJ (Nov. 2016)

"Keith just tried to get us into the studio in New York last week. He said Can't we go in? Can't we find some time? It was Hang on, do us a favour, we've all got Christmas coming up, we've got to spent time with our families!... It's going to pick up steam again" RW (Dec. 2016)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-23 22:07 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 23, 2016 22:31

That last quote from Ronnie is encouraging. We're gonna get something else from them. What about half originals and half Chuck Berry covers? Or a whole new album of originals and a whole album of rock & roll covers? The fans crave the Stones' sound. That's what everyone is realizing all over again: the Stones rule. Maybe they had gotten away from their own sound, before their resurgence in the early 00s? The decade we don't know what to call yet..Whenever they got back together, since around 2012, maybe they've been rediscovering their own sound again?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-23 22:32 by Socrates1.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 23, 2016 23:04

Some quoting:

"I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that"
MJ (Nov. 2016)

"Keith just tried to get us into the studio in New York last week. He said Can't we go in? Can't we find some time? It was Hang on, do us a favour, we've all got Christmas coming up, we've got to spent time with our families!... It's going to pick up steam again" RW (Dec. 2016)

We got two (working) titles already from the dec. 2015 sessions:

Dec. 11, 2015 - British Grove Studios
1. DRIVE ME TOO HARD
2. GET OUT OF MY WAY
3. Blue and Lonesome
4. Hate To See You Go
...............................................drinking smiley

Date: December 23, 2016 23:07

RipThisBone
Some quoting:

MJ (Nov. 2016)

We got two (working) titles already from the dec. 2015 sessions:

Dec. 11, 2015 - British Grove Studios
1. DRIVE ME TOO HARD
2. GET OUT OF MY WAY
3. Blue and Lonesome
4. Hate To See You Go
...............................................drinking smiley

"Drive me too hard"...first single!! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 23, 2016 23:15

I prefer GET OUT OF MY WAY smileys with beer

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 23, 2016 23:42

Please god...no new material. I have the greatest rock albums ever produced by these guys, the more dirge they update their catalogue with the more they dilute their essence. Could they produce anything worse than ABB? Is it musically possible?

Keith don't go, to any studio!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home