Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 704
Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 10, 2016 01:57

Yeah, no solo albums all year. We want new Stones material.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 10, 2016 03:22

Rip This
why would anyone want a solo album?....hope they record together and let us hear something new next. Love the Blues album.

Quick answer: Crosseyed Heart.

Filled with great originals and several nice covers - perhaps you've never heard of it?

Would be really great to hear a new Stones album of great originals (with maybe a couple of covers), but I'm not holding my breath.
They already tried to record some of Micks demos, and then 'hit a wall' (Don Was's words, not mine) which doesn't bode well for any new results.
The best we should expect from the Stones is another Blues covers album, and if that's the case I'd much rather hear a new Keith solo album filled with great originals and several nice covers.
The new blues covers album is just OK and nothing more.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: December 10, 2016 09:29

mailexile67
sure...But the "concept" is the same!

A better comparison would be Johnny Cash's American Recordings series, as Blue And Lonesome is very true to the essence of the Stones and has garnered critical acclaim.

If they do decide to cash in on this success with a bunch of similar albums over the next few years, I can think of far worse scenarios. It would certainly be much better than having them enter another lengthy hiatus for 5 or 10 years. The basic format is also simple enough that they could easily find time to set aside one or two weeks out of the year to record.

The ideal middle ground might be to record 7 or 8 new songs then fill the rest of the album with a mix of blues, soul, and country covers. Their "golden period" of 68-72 included cover songs so there would be no shame in using them to complement new material now. If they can make the new tracks sound as honest and raw as B&L, such an album would have the potential to be just as successful.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-10 09:31 by howlingmad.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 10, 2016 10:43

Mick told that he wants an 'eclectic' album. He is totally anti-nostalgia and he loves modern sound.
I don't think his 40 demos are 'honest and raw' as B&L.
We can only hope that B&L changes his mind!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-10 11:00 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 10, 2016 11:28

They can write and record 10 new traks no ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: December 10, 2016 11:33

powerage78
They can write and record 10 new traks no ?

They can and they will do it! That's not the point! I'm talking about the quality and sound of these new tracks, after the success of 'old school' stuff as B&L.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-10 11:37 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 10, 2016 12:14

Ah yes, another story...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: December 10, 2016 12:16

I think Keith is playing the long game here..... If the sales of B&L carry on soaring it may change Mick's mind as to what Fans / the public want from a new Stones album.smoking smiley

sc uk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-10 12:16 by straycatuk.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 10, 2016 12:40

I think there will be a new Greatest Hits album with 2-4 rather weak new songs in 2020/21. That's it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-10 19:05 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 10, 2016 13:09

These guys are well past their sell by dates when it comes to writing new music and the worrying thing is that they are surrounded by people saying how fantastic they are and inflating their egos. Musically they can still play well, they haven't got that hungry drug and booze fuelled drive that they once had, but that is to be expected, they are multi millionaires living in the kind of luxury we can only dream of. That doesn't equate well to writing great new songs, it encourages mediocrity, going through the motions, with the final result being something akin to ABB. A dreadful, cringingly bad pile of awful songs.

What they do still have is an extensive knowledge of great music, the music which they desperately wanted to be a part of when they first got together...and it is that which made B&L what it is. Any attempts at new music would fall far short of this and would be judged against it, so why bother?

Keith's last album was ok, nothing outstanding, Jagger gave up on the idea of solo work thankfully and Ron is really the only one left who can write a half decent song....and they still don;t allow him to be included in Stones song writing so he wouldn't have much input.

Let's keep the B&L theme going, dig down into the archives of great blues, country, reggae and soul...the love will shine through as it did in B&L and it will be as successful.

These are old guys, pensioners, they should do what they do best and return to their roots.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 10, 2016 16:34

Gotta say it's perplexing that Ronnie seems to have been squeezed out of the writing picture when he's clearly got the talent. He's got credit on Tattoo You, Emotional Rescue and other albums in that era. I thought that they were welcoming some fresh blood into the tribe. Guess it's all about the money.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: December 10, 2016 16:38

If Keith's album was "ok", why is Ronnie the only one with the ability to write "a half-decent" song?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 10, 2016 18:40

Mick has a new baby to tend with, so at this point I can't see him wanting to be in a studio for an extended period with Keith arguing over what 'Mick' demos should stay or go.
Keith might have rolled over in the past 30 years or so (as he claimed)and let Mick make most of the decisions studio-wise, but don't think that will be the case anymore.
Keith has a couple of strong tunes already with great riffs (so he says), while Mick has a hodgepodge of 40+ unworkable demos (according to Don Was) in which the Stones 'hit a wall'.
Most likely scenario - another quick and easy covers album by the Stones, or individual solo projects.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 10, 2016 18:54

duke richardson
they seem to really be on a roll. it would sure be the right conditions for an album.

they've been very productive lately, especially Mick and Ronnie...

A year since they started work on the blues album that took a total of 5 days or whatever and next to nothing since and they're on a roll? Apparently the right conditions for an album were a problem.

Mick and Ronnie have been productive lately? They have? How so?

Date: December 10, 2016 18:55

KRiffhard
Now it's time for original stuff...and if possible something better than ABB or Doom and Gloom.

Since what you listed is miles above anything on DIRTY WORK, ha ha, I'll take it.

Date: December 10, 2016 18:56

georgelicks

After the success of B&L, we can't be surprised if they record a volume 2 of blues covers, they can do anything they want, a new album with new songs maybe is not what 90% of the buying public wants from the Stones.

It looks like Elton John was right about the Stones going back to the blues to be relevant again.

Blues covers = short time on the studio, more album sales.

Oh no, not blues covers again!

Tell that to the Universal guys, they can't believe the sales numbers, the album is OUT OF STOCK everywere.

I've seen plenty of them in stores in my area.

Date: December 10, 2016 19:13

howlingmad

sure...But the "concept" is the same!

A better comparison would be Johnny Cash's American Recordings series, as Blue And Lonesome is very true to the essence of the Stones and has garnered critical acclaim.

If they do decide to cash in on this success with a bunch of similar albums over the next few years, I can think of far worse scenarios. It would certainly be much better than having them enter another lengthy hiatus for 5 or 10 years. The basic format is also simple enough that they could easily find time to set aside one or two weeks out of the year to record.

The ideal middle ground might be to record 7 or 8 new songs then fill the rest of the album with a mix of blues, soul, and country covers. Their "golden period" of 68-72 included cover songs so there would be no shame in using them to complement new material now. If they can make the new tracks sound as honest and raw as B&L, such an album would have the potential to be just as successful.

Post-AFTERMATH albums with covers
BEGGARS BANQUET - Prodigal Son
LET IT BLEED - Love In Vain
STICKY FINGERS - You Gotta Move
EXILE ON MAIN STREET - Shake Your Hips, Stop Breaking Down
IT's ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL - Ain't Too Proud To Beg
BLACK AND BLUE - Cherry Oh Baby
SOME GIRLS - Just My Imagination
DIRTY WORK - Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude

I don't see a reason to not do more blues to fill out an album. But I would suspect Mick might think it's the wrong trend to pull a Rod Stewart and do BLUES & LONESOME 2.

Either they finish what they've gotten down and add to it for a final studio album or they keep it for a future box set and not for another pointless and irrelevant stupid greatest hits package. I suppose that's a new trend Mick likes. MADE IN THE SHADE had nothing new on it. TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE had nothing new on it. SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES kind of did - it had a B-side and a live track from 1978. REWIND had nothing new on it. JUMP BACK, with it's erroneous year tally in the title, had nothing new.

They even thought it was a good idea to cut two tracks and put them on a live album. That's ridiculous.

Universal probably doesn't care what they do - they've got plenty of fodder in the canon to release.

Date: December 10, 2016 19:18

GasLightStreet

they seem to really be on a roll. it would sure be the right conditions for an album.

they've been very productive lately, especially Mick and Ronnie...

A year since they started work on the blues album that took a total of 5 days or whatever and next to nothing since and they're on a roll? Apparently the right conditions for an album were a problem.

Mick and Ronnie have been productive lately? They have? How so?

I think you know how grinning smiley

Date: December 10, 2016 19:28

HonkeyTonkFlash
Gotta say it's perplexing that Ronnie seems to have been squeezed out of the writing picture when he's clearly got the talent. He's got credit on Tattoo You, Emotional Rescue and other albums in that era. I thought that they were welcoming some fresh blood into the tribe. Guess it's all about the money.

He only got 'inspired by' on BLACK AND BLUE when he clearly had a hand in writing Hey Negrita. SOME GIRLS sessions (Black Limousine, Everything Is Turning To Gold) and EMOTIONAL RESCUE (Dance 1 and 2, No Use In Crying) and UNDERCOVER (Pretty Beat Up) and DIRTY WORK he had writing.

That's it. After 1984's REWIND it was over anyway. It's just been "We're The Rolling Stones, man" ever since.

Date: December 10, 2016 19:56

I think chances are bigger for a Wonderland 20 or 30 CD set with all circulating outtakes than for a usefull official box. At least as long they are able to tour.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 10, 2016 20:23

Socrates1
Yeah, no solo albums all year. We want new Stones material.

oh yeah great...now that keith's had his say your good on the solo stuff for awhile.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 10, 2016 20:59

What negativity....Next year we'll see...But if this is the trust that you have for the Band...Congratulations!

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 10, 2016 21:06

I bet that next year we'll have a new album of originals, this is a priority and a point of pride for the Band, BAL has been a very good album but it's not Exile or Let it bleed, we are happy about it but next step will be the new album of originals associate with the Tour in the stadiums...I don't think that they can come back in Europe after only three years with the same concept, show and set list...And they can't play 3-4 Blues tunes in big stadiums...A new album of originals is NECESSARY!

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: December 10, 2016 21:29

KRiffhard
Mick told that he wants an 'eclectic' album. He is totally anti-nostalgia and he loves modern sound.

Mick loves to be relevant though, which is not the same as wanting to be tied to any specific flavor of the month.

If B&L had simply sold well enough to have a decent debut in the Top 10 or Top 20, I think Mick's instincts would've been to release another album like ABB: Essentially another album full of his demos, padded out by a few Keith tracks.

But the success of B&L is proving to be so unexpectedly big I don't think Mick will be able to ignore it. My guess is that will will influence Mick's approach to the new Stones album the same way Wandering Spirit's success convinced him to try a more organic, back-to-basics approach on Voodoo Lounge and Stripped.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 10, 2016 21:34

howlingmad
But the success of B&L is proving to be so unexpectedly big I don't think Mick will be able to ignore it. My guess is that will will influence Mick's approach to the new Stones album the same way Wandering Spirit's success convinced him to try a more organic, back-to-basics approach on Voodoo Lounge and Stripped.

thumbs up

Date: December 10, 2016 22:12

howlingmad

Mick loves to be relevant though, which is not the same as wanting to be tied to any specific flavor of the month.

If B&L had simply sold well enough to have a decent debut in the Top 10 or Top 20, I think Mick's instincts would've been to release another album like ABB: Essentially another album full of his demos, padded out by a few Keith tracks.

thumbs up

Posted by: PdeGroot ()
Date: December 10, 2016 22:56

On the Rolling Stones app today in Fan Wall romours about new album with Bill Wyman and Mich Taylor,

And a European Tour in Arena's and small venues for a blues concert!

Date: December 10, 2016 23:16

PdeGroot
On the Rolling Stones app today in Fan Wall romours about new album with Bill Wyman and Mich Taylor,

Too good to be true!

Date: December 10, 2016 23:23

PdeGroot

That's 100 % just wishfull thinking. Who is Mich Taylor?

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: December 11, 2016 01:16

I asked where else the rumours are abounding (as the poster on the app put it). No reply so far...

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1803
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home