Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 704
New Stones album for 2023
Posted by: Francis25 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 16:17

Original title of this thread:

Another album in 2017 ?

Hi all !
There was talk of another album of original songs being published in 2017. Is there any credible news?

IORR Editor updates:

IORR Editor update Oct-2018:
The new album have taken some time, but they aim at finishing it hopefully for the upcoming Nort America tour 2019.

IORR Editor update Mar-2019:
Keith Richards in MOJO magazine April edition interview:
"We're in the studio in a couple of weeks, the whole kit and caboodle. The Stones with Don Was producing, in LA. We'll have it done this year, at some point."

IORR Editor update Nov-2020:
Keith is saying the new album is half finished, so there is no way it may be finished until covid-19 is under control, i.e. 2021 at the earliest.

IORR Editor update Dec-2021:
Following the highly successful No Filter USA Tour 2021, and ahead of the 60 years anniversary due in 2022, there is more than just a slim chance they might finish the new album for a 2022 release.

IORR Editor update 21-Oct-2022:
The new Rolling Stones studio album is now in the final works, currently being mixed in Los Angeles, following recent works in New York. The release is expected to be in sync with a new tour starting during the spring of 2023.

IORR Editor update 22-Aug-2023:

The new Stones album is on it's way. It is expected out during October, with marketing activities from now on and until the release date.

This thread is now closed. It was started 9-Dec-2016, now holding 21,120 posts over 704 pages, with more than two million views. It has been a great pleasure to follow the progress of the album, and to host the talks about it here during the past seven years.

For comments and updates related to the new album, please use the new thread:

Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out soon!

IORR links related to the topic:

Rolling Stones and Universal announce new partnership (8 Jul 2018)

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-22 18:40 by bv.

Re: Another album in 2017 ?
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 9, 2016 16:20

Hopefully 80 outtake tracks from B&L in a 5-CD-Box...

2 1 2 0

Date: December 9, 2016 16:31

Francis25
Hi all !
There was talk of another album of original songs being published in 2017. Is there any credible news?

Yes, they have recorded 6-7 tracks of original material. However, according to band members (see the Blue And Lonesome-thread), they're not sure whether they'll keep those tracks or re-record them + new ones.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 9, 2016 17:25

These are some comments from band members about new songs:

Jagger told the NYT that they only have “half an album” of material — and Wood hinted that those songs may need quite a bit of time in the studio before they see release.
“It’s like putting it on top of the strainer and seeing what soaks through by the time you come back to them again,” said Wood. “The lumps that are left on top after time has gone by, that’s what you make your dough out of. It wouldn’t surprise me if we recut them all again. It’s one of those things.”

“The new material will take a while to sit and reshape” RW

"I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that." MJ

When asked if the Stones might return to the new songs in 2017, Jagger says, "Yeah, I hope so"; Wood also predicts "next year" will see them back in the studio

"This past December, the Rolling Stones gathered in Mark Knopfler's British Grove Studios in West London to begin work on a batch of original songs. Jagger is deliberately vague on the nature of those tunes. "I hope it's gonna be a very eclectic album," he says. "I hope some of it's gonna be recognizable Stones and some of it's gonna be some Stones you never heard before, maybe."

"The Stones are discussing more shows next year, and they really do intend to work on that album of originals. "There's about 10 or 12 new songs that Mick actually has been cooking up," says Wood, "and Keith's got the odd one, too."

"I don‘t want to make any decisions about this until this record (Blue and Lonesome) comes out, because I think it might radically change Mick‘s attitude; it might change mine. I want to see the fallout from this record before I decide wheteher I want to record 40 of Mick‘s songs or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That‘s my thing" KR

"Richards suggests that at least some of the songs might be unfinished compositions that date back 15 years or more"

From Uncut and [www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-09 17:25 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 9, 2016 18:35

It could be that the success of B+L distracts them a bit from this new material. I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some more enthusiasm for performing live. Not starting rumors, this is total speculation on my part, but it could be a good thing, playing these blues numbers live, and then getting back to the new material fresh off of a tour. If it means we get a more inspired album, I'm entirely in favor of postponing the joy. I'd love to see a really solid album of new material to follow the success of B+L.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2016 18:41

Seeing that they did B&L in 3 days in December of 2015 and whatever it is, 2 days in April of 2016, they've had plenty of time to be distracted from working on a new LP of originals.

From what has been said so far it's business as usual: Jagger has 25 songs already demoed that they'll add to or whatever and Keith will have his one song that's pretty good and the other one that's bleh.

A BIGGER BANG 2.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 9, 2016 19:07

they seem to really be on a roll. it would sure be the right conditions for an album.

they've been very productive lately, especially Mick and Ronnie...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 9, 2016 19:13

Hoping for another Keith solo album. thumbs up

Date: December 9, 2016 19:40

Now it's time for original stuff...and if possible something better than ABB or Doom and Gloom.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 9, 2016 21:43

After the success of B&L, we can't be surprised if they record a volume 2 of blues covers, they can do anything they want, a new album with new songs maybe is not what 90% of the buying public wants from the Stones.

It looks like Elton John was right about the Stones going back to the blues to be relevant again.

Blues covers = short time on the studio, more album sales.

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 21:50

georgelicks
After the success of B&L, we can't be surprised if they record a volume 2 of blues covers, they can do anything they want, a new album with new songs maybe is not what 90% of the buying public wants from the Stones.

It looks like Elton John was right about the Stones going back to the blues to be relevant again.

At this stage of their career every album is a great gift. I would prefer an album of new originals in 2017 but more covers of blues and soul tunes would be nice to hear to. I really like the rawness of B&L.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 9, 2016 21:57

Would be ballsy of them to follow this fantastic album with an album of Blues(y) originals.
Blue & Blue..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-09 21:57 by MisterDDDD.

Date: December 9, 2016 22:01

georgelicks

Oh no, not blues covers again!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 9, 2016 22:18

KRiffhard

Oh no, not blues covers again!

Tell that to the Universal guys, they can't believe the sales numbers, the album is OUT OF STOCK everywere.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 9, 2016 22:29

The next album will be Blue Lonesome part two................

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 9, 2016 22:31

The next album will be "Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys"

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 22:47

@Georgelicks

High sales everywhere and out of stock too simply because it's over ELEVEN YEARS without a new album!

A new album of originals should be had the same glory!

It is not important what kind of music they play...People wanted new Stones stuff...

So, I hope that they don't copy Rod Stewart and his American songbook series...I don't wanna see Mick and his mates in jacket and paillettes in Vegas singin' old tunes..C'mon let make a solid decent 12 tracks studio album of originals and hit the road!

Date: December 9, 2016 22:49

We want an album of originals...After 12 years is it eye rolling smileythumbs upa plausible request!?!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 9, 2016 22:51

One can only hope and pray for a Stones album of new material.... No solo stuff

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 22:52

mailexile67
@Georgelicks

High sales everywhere and out of stock too simply because it's over ELEVEN YEARS without a new album!

It is not important what kind of music they play...People wanted new Stones stuff...

So, I hope that they don't copy Rod Stewart and his American songbook series...I don't wanna see Mick and his mates in jacket and paillettes in Vegas singin' old tunes..C'mon let make a solid decent 12 tracks studio album of originals and hit the road!

Blue & Lonesome is not an American songbook series kind of stuff.

Date: December 9, 2016 22:59

sure...But the "concept" is the same!

Date: December 9, 2016 23:06

mailexile67
@Georgelicks

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: December 9, 2016 23:29

Most likely down to Mick as usual, let's hope the success of B&L gives him the confidence to release a new album of original material

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 10, 2016 00:54

Perhaps it's best not to have an album of 'new' material...they pulled it off with B&L and that was because they picked classic blues songs and whilst they obviously couldn;t improve on the originals, they managed to do some acceptable covers.

I seriously doubt that they could write a new album's worth of good material and the likely outcome will be some bad pop/rock and/or formulaic blues songs. B&L is the perfect album to say thanks and goodbye.

We are all huge fans of the band, but if we are brutally honest with ourselves, when was the last great Stones song written...I'd say Love is Strong and that's being very generous with the word great, before that then we have to go way back through the mists of time...way back.

If they are still wanting to go back in the studio and on the road, then why not stick to cover songs for any new recordings, maybe turn their attentions to some country stuff and delta blues?

I wouldn't want their last album to be anything as awful as ABB, this band has been with me for decades and their songs have seen me through some real hard years. THey don't owe me anything, or any other fans for that matter and I'd like to think the last output was a return to their roots...seems the album charts don't lie.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: December 10, 2016 01:28

I have asked if they are still with Universal and have copied my post from 2008 saying they should do exactly what they've done with B & L and have received no response.
Anyway, if they are still with Universal, it seems there is someone guiding them in the right direction so maybe they won't be allowed to release another weak album like ABB.

Fingers crossed that they will release quality or nothing.

Crumbling_mice is correct about ABB and I'm truly sick of the perception that criticising the Stones means you aren't a true fan.

They aren't always wonderful and sycophantic grovelling won't help them get their act together.

Date: December 10, 2016 01:35

Harlem Shuffler
I have asked if they are still with Universal and have copied my post from 2008 saying they should do exactly what they've done with B & L and have received no response.
Anyway, if they are still with Universal, it seems there is someone guiding them in the right direction so maybe they won't be allowed to release another weak album like ABB.

Fingers crossed that they will release quality or nothing.

Crumbling_mice is correct about ABB and I'm truly sick of the perception that criticising the Stones means you aren't a true fan.

They aren't always wonderful and sycophantic grovelling won't help them get their act together.

Yes, they are still with Universal, as it clearly says at the back of both the single and the album. Georgelicks has also said that numerous times.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 10, 2016 01:47

I agree insomuch as I'd like to hear more acoustic based music from the Stones. It's okay to like something on the internet, right? I can say that I like this new music without having to be cynical and critical about it, right? Sycophant is an overused word on the internet. The word has no true context in a discussion about great music. That's what I am, if I like this music, a "sycophant"? Find something new to complain about, B&L is exceptional.

B&L looks like it's hovering around 95% approval rating in Stonesland. A few people have tried to say bad stuff about B&L, and it's as if they can't even bring themselves to do so. There's no use trying to condemn this great work. B&L is a modern classic. I can accept that. And I'm so glad. Awesome. I can enjoy this music.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 10, 2016 01:49

Oh, so you were writing about ABB... oh forget it then.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 10, 2016 01:54

why would anyone want a solo album?....hope they record together and let us hear something new next. Love the Blues album.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 10, 2016 01:57

What about a compromise 5 originals and 5 covers.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 704

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1325
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home