Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The Rolling Stones Albums Ranked From Worst To Best - Classic Rock Magazine
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 7, 2016 01:41

That's awesome Dandelion...# S 013675!!!

Anxious now to check my copy and #, but will have to wait until tomorrow!

Re: The Rolling Albums Ranked From Worst To Best - Classic Rock Magazine
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 7, 2016 02:39

HonkeyTonkFlash
retired_dog
xke38
DandelionPowderman
xke38
Hairball
By placing Emotional Rescue at the bottom of the barrel, this writer has instantly lost all credibility.

Why? I'd have thought that ER is a fairly obvious choice, particularly from a classic rock perspective.

Are you serious?

Yes. It took me one year, two months and four days to recover from the disappointment of first hearing it.

At least you managed to recover from the disappointment of first hearing it, something I never did. After 15 years as a Stones fan even back then, this was my first real disappointment with the band and still is to this very day. Never got over the fact that lightweight stuff like Indian Girl could ever find its way onto a Stones record. And "lightweight stuff" is the term that always comes to my mind whenever I listen to that album, usually only when I want to hear my fave Down In The Hole and by this chance always give other tracks another chance.

No way would I put ER at the bottom of the barrel. Granted, I was not thrilled with the title track at first, thought they were trying to replicate the Miss You formula but it grew on me with repeated listens. All in all a great album. Sometimes I think it's better than Some Girls...

It certainly sounds better than SOME GIRLS. The guitar work is better. Even on the weak Send It To Me the guitaring is excellent.

The title track is sneaky. It really is genius and, personally, better than Miss You.

Among the best mixed tracks of their entire catalog is She's So Cold. That mix is supreme. All About You is excellent too, song wise and mix wise. Summer Romance is great, the snarl is way up front.

Date: December 7, 2016 02:41

RollingFreak
I'm surprised, and always have been, that people don't think ABB should be higher. Yes, its probably too high on this list, but it has always been my favorite Stones release post Tattoo You. I'd argue its the only time they really wrote GOOD rock songs since then. I'm wondering if people just maybe never let it sink it, cause I truly don't get how that gets so much more crap than Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon, which I personally consider the definition of forgettable records. At least they had some good riffs on ABB, even if it was a shadow of their former selves.

I don't know, thats always legitimately shocked me. Its far too long of an album, but there's an excellent 40-50 minute CD in there. And then I'll agree with people that there's some real crap on there, and I say Rain Fall Down which then I think is like everyone's favorite song here. So it really is different how everyone has such polarizing views. To me, Steel Wheels is fine but way too slick, Voodoo Lounge is way too long with maybe 2 or 3 decent songs, B2B I've just never been able to get into even though Out Of Control works so well live. ABB is the only later album I genuinely enjoy.

I like ABB. For what it's worth. What it isn't worth is the length and the totally bunk shit tracks like Streets Of Love, Sweet Neo Con, Oh No Not You Again and, as goofy as it is, Infamy.

Date: December 7, 2016 03:10

A local radio station in my area still occasionally plays Rain Fell Down for some unknown reason. I liked it somewhat when first released - I remember my wife dancing along to it the first couple times I played the album at home.
I see it as kind of like the weird little brother of Dance. (pt.1)...attempting to be cool, but just doesn't quite have it...a bit contrived sounding when I hear it now. Never liked much of ABB - even Keith's infamy which sounds like it was written on a Jews harp.Might have been better with some cranking guitars ala Expensive Wino/Talk is Cheap, but as it stands might be my least favorite tune that Keith has ever recorded. Haven't listened to the album from start to finish since about 11 years ago, and couldn't pick out a favorite tune even if I was forced to.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 7, 2016 03:38

Just find it interesting. Heard it tonight on my drive back from work, I still contend it holds up. Heard up to This Place Is Empty and aside from Rain Fall Down I like every song. Rough Justice to me is as forceful an opening track as they've had. Let Me Down Slow IMO is a hidden gem and one of their finest late era tracks. She Saw Me Coming is a good riff, It Won't Take Long is better than your generic rocker. Back Of My Hand is as Stones blues as you can get. I've always liked Streets Of Love but I get the sort of pushback. I don't know, I really think the album holds up. In fact, had Bridges To Babylon been their last album I'd say don't bother with another. Solely because of A Bigger Bang, I have faith in them to make another good one. Had that one not been there I would say the previous 5 proved they should stop. IMO it actually lived up to the "best album since Tattoo You" that gets said every time they release a record for the last 20 years.

Date: December 7, 2016 03:44

It all sounded a bit contrived and forced (some would say a caricature), but glad someone still likes it!

And Streets of Love...I remember thinking they were entering Bon Jovi power ballad territory.
Even when played live it was pretty bad, although I know many people really like it.

Date: December 7, 2016 06:01

How the idiot did not rank DIRTY WORK as their worst album is astounding.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 7, 2016 06:51

Hairball
It all sounded a bit contrived and forced (some would say a caricature), but glad someone still likes it!
No, thats more than fair and I even understand it. I by no means think its a great album. I think just for me personally the bar was set so low that the fact that it wasn't another Voodoo Lounge or Bridges To Babylon made me like it a lot. I preferred the contrived and forceness and I guess just looked the positive way about it.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: December 7, 2016 13:41

I couldn't help but notice...

1. Mick Taylor
2. Mick Taylor
3. Mick Taylor
4. Brian Jones
5. Brian Jones
6. Mick Taylor
7. Ron Wood
8. Brian Jones
9. Mick Taylor
10. Brian Jones

Date: December 7, 2016 14:13

palerider22

1. Mick Taylor
2. Mick Taylor
3. Mick Taylor
4. Brian Jones
5. Brian Jones
6. Mick Taylor
7. Ron Wood
8. Brian Jones
9. Mick Taylor
10. Brian Jones

I couldn't help, but notice that the most popular Rolling Stones-tracks on streaming services (Spotify, in this case) were:

1. Brian
2. Brian
3. Ronnie
4. Brian
5. Brian
6. Ronnie
7. Ronnie
8. Ronnie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-07 14:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: December 7, 2016 14:15

What do they know! winking smiley

Date: December 7, 2016 14:25

palerider22
What do they know! winking smiley

What do WE know smoking smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 7, 2016 14:35

Hairball
By placing Emotional Rescue at the bottom of the barrel, this writer has instantly lost all credibility.
While not in my personal top 10, it's far better than Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Bridges, Voodoo, A bigger Bang, and Shine a Light.

"Dance (Pt. 1) is right up there on the rotten front as well, which is a shame as it marks Ronnie Wood’s only writing credit alongside Jagger and Richards.
Some might say it sounds an awful lot like Led Zeppelin’s Trampled Underfoot"

What an idiotic statement - I give this writer two thumbs down. thumbs downthumbs down

I agree that the ordering of the albums is strange, if not downright wrong. Still, some of the descriptions of the albums are on the mark, or at least kind of funny.

Date: December 7, 2016 14:39

RollingFreak
Lol you can tell people here are diehard fans, but Emotional Rescue is an awful album. Not worse than their post 1981 ones, but its easily their worst from before they started to stop caring (Tattoo You, and earlier). Like, without question there's no album worse before it in their catalogue.

It's not one of their best, but I think it's better than "Between the Buttons" (their only pre-80's album I never listen to), more consistent than "Their Satanic" (which is 50% very good, 50% terrible) and more fun than "Goat's Head Soup" and "It's Only Rock n Roll". It's actually the rockers which are the weakest on "Emotional Rescue", which of course confirms it's not their best album. But "Down in the Hole", "Emotional Rescue", "She's So Cold", and "All About You" are all great, and I cannot help liking "Indian Girl" too. The rest is at least bearable, and - thanks to this forum - I have come to at least appreciate the guitar work in mediocre rockers "Summer Romance" and "Where The Boys Go"

Date: December 7, 2016 14:45

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
They sure play LSTNT, Ruby Tuesday and Connection pretty often for hating them.

They played Yesterday's Paper live in 1967 and She Smiled Sweetly was played on the Licks tour, btw.

BTB is an experimental studio album, hence it's hard to re-create on stage. That's probably the main reason for not trying out more numbers.

Well, to some people, LSTNT and Ruby Tuesday aren't technically on BTB. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Then they should buy that album smoking smiley

They are not on the UK version.
If they would be (as they are on the USA version) they would be the only 2 reasons to listen to the album. So, I prefer hearing those songs on a single-selection.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: December 7, 2016 14:57

matxil
RollingFreak
Lol you can tell people here are diehard fans, but Emotional Rescue is an awful album. Not worse than their post 1981 ones, but its easily their worst from before they started to stop caring (Tattoo You, and earlier). Like, without question there's no album worse before it in their catalogue.

It's not one of their best, but I think it's better than "Between the Buttons" (their only pre-80's album I never listen to), more consistent than "Their Satanic" (which is 50% very good, 50% terrible) and more fun than "Goat's Head Soup" and "It's Only Rock n Roll". It's actually the rockers which are the weakest on "Emotional Rescue", which of course confirms it's not their best album. But "Down in the Hole", "Emotional Rescue", "She's So Cold", and "All About You" are all great, and I cannot help liking "Indian Girl" too. The rest is at least bearable, and - thanks to this forum - I have come to at least appreciate the guitar work in mediocre rockers "Summer Romance" and "Where The Boys Go"

I agree with your song ratings from ER (even Indian Girl...eek). For me ER was one of the earlier Stones albums I bought (on cassette - and even then I thought the actual sound of it was excellent, very punchy) so for that (emotional) reason it maybe higher up my list than it should be. Over the years I've listened to it more than any of the 4 album run that started with DW.

BTW Buttons was never top of my list either, but is moving steadily up thanks to the version on the new Mono box. Worth a listen if you haven't already.

Date: December 7, 2016 15:52

matxil
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

They played Yesterday's Paper live in 1967 and She Smiled Sweetly was played on the Licks tour, btw.

BTB is an experimental studio album, hence it's hard to re-create on stage. That's probably the main reason for not trying out more numbers.

Well, to some people, LSTNT and Ruby Tuesday aren't technically on BTB. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

If they would be (as they are on the USA version) they would be the only 2 reasons to listen to the album. So, I prefer hearing those songs on a single-selection.

There are more reasons. Back Street Girl, Connection, All Sold Out, Miss Amanda Jones and She Smiled Sweetly are some of them smiling smiley

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: December 7, 2016 16:04

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

There are more reasons. Back Street Girl, Connection, All Sold Out, Miss Amanda Jones and She Smiled Sweetly are some of them smiling smiley

Well said Dandelion. I'm with you on this.

Am appreciating Buttons more and more now. I find it has such a specific sense of time and place which (because even though I lived through it I am too young to remember it in reality) is just out of reach and so almost mythical.

Date: December 7, 2016 16:21

DandelionPowderman

I can't stand them. I think the songwriting is weak, but what mainly annoys me is those pseudo-psychedelic-Beatles-esque weird/funny/exotic sounds and echoos and whatnot. Whereas on Aftermath, the funny instruments add value, on Between the Buttons they subtract. Every now and then (not more than once a year) I give it another try but I never make it through the entire album, it annoys me so much. It's also one of the first examples of Mick Jagger faking his voice.
At least with Satanic I can skip the worst 2 or 3 songs and enjoy the rest very much. Even with DW, I can skip the worst 6 or 7, and enjoy the rest. (GLS: I know, but still...)

Date: December 7, 2016 17:01

matxil
DandelionPowderman

I can't stand them. I think the songwriting is weak, but what mainly annoys me is those pseudo-psychedelic-Beatles-esque weird/funny/exotic sounds and echoos and whatnot. Whereas on Aftermath, the funny instruments add value, on Between the Buttons they subtract. Every now and then (not more than once a year) I give it another try but I never make it through the entire album, it annoys me so much. It's also one of the first examples of Mick Jagger faking his voice.
At least with Satanic I can skip the worst 2 or 3 songs and enjoy the rest very much. Even with DW, I can skip the worst 6 or 7, and enjoy the rest. (GLS: I know, but still...)

To each their own.

For this listener, the accordion on Back Street Girl is beyond beautiful. Keith's guitar on All Sold Out is the forerunner to Citadel, Child Of The Moon, Stray Cat Blues, JJF and eventually the open G-stuff. The organ on She Smiled Sweetly is just lovely, and the harmonies on Connection are just lovely.

Date: December 7, 2016 17:46

DandelionPowderman
palerider22

1. Mick Taylor
2. Mick Taylor
3. Mick Taylor
4. Brian Jones
5. Brian Jones
6. Mick Taylor
7. Ron Wood
8. Brian Jones
9. Mick Taylor
10. Brian Jones

I couldn't help, but notice that the most popular Rolling Stones-tracks on streaming services (Spotify, in this case) were:

1. Brian
2. Brian
3. Ronnie
4. Brian
5. Brian
6. Ronnie
7. Ronnie
8. Ronnie

Gimme Shelter is Keith.

Date: December 7, 2016 17:50

matxil
DandelionPowderman

HAHAHAHAH! Skip the worst 6 or 7. DIRTY WORK should've been trimmed down to a single: Harlem Shuffle b/w Had It With You.

As an EP, those 2 plus Too Rude and Sleep Tonight. That's it. The rest of it stinks!

Date: December 8, 2016 11:56

GasLightStreet
matxil
DandelionPowderman

HAHAHAHAH! Skip the worst 6 or 7. DIRTY WORK should've been trimmed down to a single: Harlem Shuffle b/w Had It With You.

As an EP, those 2 plus Too Rude and Sleep Tonight. That's it. The rest of it stinks!

You see? That was my point. Those 4 (plus One Hit is 5), that's more to enjoy than even the US version of BtB could offer.

Date: December 8, 2016 12:03

DandelionPowderman
To each their own.

For this listener, the accordion on Back Street Girl is beyond beautiful. Keith's guitar on All Sold Out is the forerunner to Citadel, Child Of The Moon, Stray Cat Blues, JJF and eventually the open G-stuff. The organ on She Smiled Sweetly is just lovely, and the harmonies on Connection are just lovely.

Okay, since I love Citadel, Stray Cat and JJF, I just listened to All Sold Out. I don't see anything in common. The rhythm is some kind of vaudeville polka. The "hey hey" sounds like the Kinks. There is some weird flute-ish instrument that is forboding Gomper, the break implies: "God, what are we going to do now, wait, let's do a break", the melody is weak, etc... I grant you that the electric guitar has a certain "modern" sound to it, hinting to what they'd do later on Beggar's Banquet but it's hardly enough.
To be honest, I am not very fond of Rubber Soul/Revolver Beatles either, so that might partly explain it. Moreover, I don't care much for the Beatles anyway, which might explain it even better.

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: December 10, 2016 18:46

I am late to the party on this subject t but honestly the only album I rarely play is Black n Blue. It has a few songs I like but mostly sounds tired. I guess bridges and dirty work as well. On a side note I think the live album No Security is pretty damm solid. Obviously no Ya Ya's but band is solid.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1686
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home