Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Rolling Albums Ranked From Worst To Best - Classic Rock Magazine
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 6, 2016 17:19

duke richardson
I personally really like Down In The Hole

and Send It To Me cool smiley

They aren't great but are fun tracks and great sounding.

Down in the Hole is great, in my opinion. Send it to Me not much, but a fine track anyway.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 6, 2016 17:19

RollingFreak
duke richardson
>>The Stones hate Between The Buttons and its because they are morons and its a great record. They aren't always right. I see no redeeming factors in ER, its a bad album in my eyes. <<

when did any of them say they 'hate' between the buttons?

one cannot call the Rolling Stones 'morons'...

why is ER a bad album?

If the quote from Jagger about it being "rubbish" is a myth then I don't have anything on hand, but I've always heard they didn't. I thought Keith hated it too. Fair enough if they've never said they hated it, although I still think they are dumb for not seeing that its a better album than they give it credit for.

Yes I can, for a NUMBER of reasons. And by doing that I can also still like the band. Thats whats great about the world.

I feel it is a forgettable record. I think the songs are lazy and generic, and those are the ones I don't even mind. The best song on there is Down In The Hole which is a gem. The rest are bland, and then there are just plain terrible ones like Dance Pt. 17 or whatever it is. I feel every other record has at least one, but usually two or three tracks that truly stand with the rest of their catalogue and that one doesn't and is the only pre 81 album like that for me.

.. its all opinion, and the 'morons' thing is for me, kinda humorous.. one fan to another...

all good! thumbs up

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: December 6, 2016 17:25

I hate those lists...always should be a matter of taste or in particular if you're going to publish a 'best album' list get a general consensus survey of many critics, musicians and fans.

Also, 'worst to best' is pointless. Just acknowledge good, great and 'not their best.'

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 6, 2016 17:28

DandelionPowderman
They sure play LSTNT, Ruby Tuesday and Connection pretty often for hating them.

They played Yesterday's Paper live in 1967 and She Smiled Sweetly was played on the Licks tour, btw.

BTB is an experimental studio album, hence it's hard to re-create on stage. That's probably the main reason for not trying out more numbers.

Well, to some people, LSTNT and Ruby Tuesday aren't technically on BTB. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 6, 2016 17:29

duke richardson
RollingFreak
duke richardson
>>The Stones hate Between The Buttons and its because they are morons and its a great record. They aren't always right. I see no redeeming factors in ER, its a bad album in my eyes. <<

when did any of them say they 'hate' between the buttons?

one cannot call the Rolling Stones 'morons'...

why is ER a bad album?

If the quote from Jagger about it being "rubbish" is a myth then I don't have anything on hand, but I've always heard they didn't. I thought Keith hated it too. Fair enough if they've never said they hated it, although I still think they are dumb for not seeing that its a better album than they give it credit for.

Yes I can, for a NUMBER of reasons. And by doing that I can also still like the band. Thats whats great about the world.

I feel it is a forgettable record. I think the songs are lazy and generic, and those are the ones I don't even mind. The best song on there is Down In The Hole which is a gem. The rest are bland, and then there are just plain terrible ones like Dance Pt. 17 or whatever it is. I feel every other record has at least one, but usually two or three tracks that truly stand with the rest of their catalogue and that one doesn't and is the only pre 81 album like that for me.

.. its all opinion, and the 'morons' thing is for me, kinda humorous.. one fan to another...

all good! thumbs up

Nah, I hear ya. Never mean to upset anyone, cause it really is all opinion and thats the beauty of it. I just think far too often there are bad albums people try to justify as good when they might not actually feel that way. If you or others do like Emotional Rescue, I think thats good and similar to how I feel about Satanic which I know is much derided. As long as there's a reason behind your argument I'm usually cool with whatever anyone thinks!

Date: December 6, 2016 17:35

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

They played Yesterday's Paper live in 1967 and She Smiled Sweetly was played on the Licks tour, btw.

BTB is an experimental studio album, hence it's hard to re-create on stage. That's probably the main reason for not trying out more numbers.

Well, to some people, LSTNT and Ruby Tuesday aren't technically on BTB. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Then they should buy that album smoking smiley

Date: December 6, 2016 17:35

DandelionPowderman
I REALLY like Dance, She's So Cold, Emotional Rescue, Let Me Go and All About You as well.

And I enjoy Where The Boys Go and Summer Romance immensely.

The album is a guitar player's dream. So much cool stuff's going on thumbs up

I forgot about Down In The Hole, which is excellent. Let Me Go is the Stones on cruise control though. Dance and (Dance 2) are great but are probably similar in reasoning for why people don't think BLACK AND BLUE is very good because of the long clinking disco-ness of Hot Stuff or the rather dull thud of Hand Of Fate.

Where The Boys Go is a nice wind up. Jagger is good on it. It's a good Stones song, a nice bit of playing just as Summer Romance is: snarly Stones. It's too bad they left Not The Way To Go off of that one. Or it's too bad they didn't put Not The Way To Go on TATTOO YOU. Among some other leftovers from 1977-78-79 (seeing that they didn't record any new songs from late 1980 to late 1982).

Date: December 6, 2016 17:36

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Then they should buy that album smoking smiley

Yes, that one. Ha ha!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 6, 2016 18:09

DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
Lol you can tell people here are diehard fans, but Emotional Rescue is an awful album. Not worse than their post 1981 ones, but its easily their worst from before they started to stop caring (Tattoo You, and earlier). Like, without question there's no album worse before it in their catalogue.

LOL, I'd take ER any day to GHS, IORR and BAB.

Oh, but that's just you. I would say that compared to the three you mention, ER is just a mindless, directionless mish-mash that reflects the band's growing inner conflicts concerning their artistic direction perfectly. Perfectly recorded, I give you that. But that's just in technical terms. Apart from a small handful of songs, there's simply nothing there that stood the test of time. In a way, not unlike Dirty Work, Rescue's dirty cousin. Both albums seem to have some loyal followers, but in the bigger scheme of things they're ultimately forgettable.

Date: December 6, 2016 18:58

How ER could've looked had they finished everything that was officially released that was worked on during the sessions:

Dance
Summer Romance
Hang Fire
Send It To Me
Let Me Go
Neighbours
Little T&A
Indian Girl
Heaven
We Had It All
Down In The Hole
I Think I'm Going Mad
No Use In Crying
Where The Boys Go
If I Was A Dancer
Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold
All About You

Date: December 6, 2016 19:36

GasLightStreet
How ER could've looked had they finished everything that was officially released that was worked on during the sessions:

Dance
Summer Romance
Hang Fire
Send It To Me
Let Me Go
Neighbours
Little T&A
Indian Girl
Heaven
We Had It All
Down In The Hole
I Think I'm Going Mad
No Use In Crying
Where The Boys Go
If I Was A Dancer
Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold
All About You

A much much better general picture. Have to say that Keith's early version of T&A is ace - the one that appears on boots like In Tune With Jam or Booze, Pills Powders. Neglecting better stuff is Rescue's major downfall IMHO.

Date: December 6, 2016 19:48

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
Lol you can tell people here are diehard fans, but Emotional Rescue is an awful album. Not worse than their post 1981 ones, but its easily their worst from before they started to stop caring (Tattoo You, and earlier). Like, without question there's no album worse before it in their catalogue.

LOL, I'd take ER any day to GHS, IORR and BAB.

Oh, but that's just you. I would say that compared to the three you mention, ER is just a mindless, directionless mish-mash that reflects the band's growing inner conflicts concerning their artistic direction perfectly. Perfectly recorded, I give you that. But that's just in technical terms. Apart from a small handful of songs, there's simply nothing there that stood the test of time. In a way, not unlike Dirty Work, Rescue's dirty cousin. Both albums seem to have some loyal followers, but in the bigger scheme of things they're ultimately forgettable.

That's just you smoking smiley

Re: The Rolling Stones Albums Ranked From Worst To Best - Classic Rock Magazine
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: December 6, 2016 20:14

Just realized I didn't put Stones in the title next to Rolling. What are the best albums to roll to? smiling smiley

The guitar work on ER is tremendous!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 6, 2016 20:29

I for one see EMOTIONAL RESCUE as perfect at what that album indirectly was set out to be. Not even semi-great GOATS HEAD SOUP as the obvious best alternative of the three mentionned can match the greatness of EMOTIONAL RESCUE. I would not have traded away any song of it, except perhaps "Let Me Go", but not at all with anything. It must have been a good one. Better the to leave the album as it is.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: December 6, 2016 21:44

DandelionPowderman
xke38
Hairball
By placing Emotional Rescue at the bottom of the barrel, this writer has instantly lost all credibility.

Why? I'd have thought that ER is a fairly obvious choice, particularly from a classic rock perspective.

Are you serious?

Yes. It took me one year, two months and four days to recover from the disappointment of first hearing it.

Date: December 6, 2016 22:09

xke38
DandelionPowderman
xke38
Hairball
By placing Emotional Rescue at the bottom of the barrel, this writer has instantly lost all credibility.

Why? I'd have thought that ER is a fairly obvious choice, particularly from a classic rock perspective.

Are you serious?

Yes. It took me one year, two months and four days to recover from the disappointment of first hearing it.

You should listen instead of merely hearing smoking smiley

Date: December 6, 2016 22:24

xke38
DandelionPowderman
xke38
Hairball

Are you serious?

At least you managed to recover from the disappointment of first hearing it, something I never did. After 15 years as a Stones fan even back then, this was my first real disappointment with the band and still is to this very day. Never got over the fact that lightweight stuff like Indian Girl could ever find its way onto a Stones record. And "lightweight stuff" is the term that always comes to my mind whenever I listen to that album, usually only when I want to hear my fave Down In The Hole and by this chance always give other tracks another chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 22:26 by retired_dog.

Date: December 6, 2016 22:50

DandelionPowderman

You should listen instead of merely hearing smoking smiley

I hear you, DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 6, 2016 23:03

... Play 5 times before ya listen

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 6, 2016 23:39

retired_dog
xke38
DandelionPowderman
xke38
Hairball

Are you serious?

At least you managed to recover from the disappointment of first hearing it, something I never did. After 15 years as a Stones fan even back then, this was my first real disappointment with the band and still is to this very day. Never got over the fact that lightweight stuff like Indian Girl could ever find its way onto a Stones record. And "lightweight stuff" is the term that always comes to my mind whenever I listen to that album, usually only when I want to hear my fave Down In The Hole and by this chance always give other tracks another chance.

No way would I put ER at the bottom of the barrel. Granted, I was not thrilled with the title track at first, thought they were trying to replicate the Miss You formula but it grew on me with repeated listens. All in all a great album. Sometimes I think it's better than Some Girls...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 7, 2016 00:26

Emotional Rescue - the song itself - is no doubt the weak link on this album imo.
I remember hearing it on the radio when first released, and thought it was the end of the Stones.
Still can't bare to hear it, and seeing it played live not long ago didn't help matters.
Send it To Me and Indian Girl are next on the chopping block for me, but the rest of the album is quite nice - especially Dance (pt.1).
If I Was A Dancer (Dance Pt. 2) from Sucking in the '70's is also great - I still have the 12" single.

Date: December 7, 2016 00:33

The 12" promo (also called "Dance pt 3") is fantastic!

Date: December 7, 2016 00:41

Dance pt.3...I believe that is the B-side for the 12" If I Was A Dancer (Dance Pt. 2)...?
Instrumental yes?

(I'll check later - entire vinyl collection is down at studio).

Date: December 7, 2016 00:44

Hairball
Dance pt.3...I believe that is the B-side for the 12" If I Was A Dancer (Dance Pt. 2)...?
Instrumental yes?

Yes, instrumental version with a different mix + some howling smiling smiley

Date: December 7, 2016 00:56

I actually liked this guy's take on things. He knows his Stones history and the ins and outs. Instaed of writing him off, I thunk it is interesting and makes me re-think my own stance. Yes - ER at last position and B2B so low; and ABB so high is odd. Also he has two Live albums in there, but no Ya-Yas. Still I thought it a good list. And even for the last placed album he was mainly listing pros, no contras
I can not agree at all on "Winter" being a filler though.

Date: December 7, 2016 01:02

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Instrumental yes?

OK yeah - just looked it up on Discogs and here is what I have:12" Stones

Label B-side says Dance (Instrumental)...I suppose it's also known as Dance pt. 3 ?

"Originally released with a white outer cover numbered on front near the upper spine".

Hmmm...now wondering what number I have!

On a side note, Dance (pt.1) was one of the highlights at the Vredenburg show '03, part of a setlist and great performance that ranks very high of the live Stones shows I've seen.
Not sure how many times it's been played live, but could have (and should have) been a staple at most if not all Stones shows imo - funky, grooving, guitar driven fun.

Date: December 7, 2016 01:08

Palace Revolution 2000
I actually liked this guy's take on things. He knows his Stones history and the ins and outs. Instaed of writing him off, I thunk it is interesting and makes me re-think my own stance. Yes - ER at last position and B2B so low; and ABB so high is odd. Also he has two Live albums in there, but no Ya-Yas. Still I thought it a good list. And even for the last placed album he was mainly listing pros, no contras

Ya-Yas is in there at number 6.

Date: December 7, 2016 01:10

xke38
Palace Revolution 2000

Ya-Yas is in there at number 6.
Sorry, you right xke38.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 7, 2016 01:10

I'm surprised, and always have been, that people don't think ABB should be higher. Yes, its probably too high on this list, but it has always been my favorite Stones release post Tattoo You. I'd argue its the only time they really wrote GOOD rock songs since then. I'm wondering if people just maybe never let it sink it, cause I truly don't get how that gets so much more crap than Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon, which I personally consider the definition of forgettable records. At least they had some good riffs on ABB, even if it was a shadow of their former selves.

I don't know, thats always legitimately shocked me. Its far too long of an album, but there's an excellent 40-50 minute CD in there. And then I'll agree with people that there's some real crap on there, and I say Rain Fall Down which then I think is like everyone's favorite song here. So it really is different how everyone has such polarizing views. To me, Steel Wheels is fine but way too slick, Voodoo Lounge is way too long with maybe 2 or 3 decent songs, B2B I've just never been able to get into even though Out Of Control works so well live. ABB is the only later album I genuinely enjoy.

Date: December 7, 2016 01:22

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Instrumental yes?

OK yeah - just looked it up on Discogs and here is what I have:12" Stones

Label B-side says Dance (Instrumental)...I suppose it's also known as Dance pt. 3 ?

"Originally released with a white outer cover numbered on front near the upper spine".

Hmmm...now wondering what number I have!

On a side note, Dance (pt.1) was one of the highlights at the Vredenburg show '03, part of a setlist and great performance that ranks very high of the live Stones shows I've seen.
Not sure how many times it's been played live, but could have (and should have) been a staple at most if not all Stones shows imo - funky, grooving, guitar driven fun.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home