Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Little Richard Turns 84.
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 6, 2016 01:37

[www.youtube.com] (a jagger/richards cover)

All hail the King, it's only right. As humble as he is, he just had to confess:
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Who really first lit up Bob Dylan, Mick, Bill, that other invasion band, elvis and etc...
[www.youtube.com]

...and this old man, however shakily, still walks the Earth. So Happy Birthday to Little Richard. Without whom....
jimi's look, mick's look, bowie's look, prince's look; not to mention his songs all over Elvis' first album (and eye shadow) and so many others.
i love Rip This Joint and Mick got the point and how. I mean if that's not an homage, nothing is.
And boy he gave it to everybody else... smileys with beer thumbs up

Live '73 ** pro shot
[www.youtube.com]

from a commenter on youtube:

"Rolling Stones members Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were profoundly influenced by Little Richard,
with Jagger citing him as his first induction to R&B music and referring to him as
"the originator and my first idol".

Upon hearing "Tutti Frutti", Richards explained,
"it was if, in a single instant, the world changed from monochrome to Technicolor".

They must've loved Little Richard covering their song. No one ever could have sung it better! "

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 10:05 by hopkins.

Re: OT: Little Richard Turns 84.
Date: December 6, 2016 02:13

Rocky I know you must have a pic or two in your vast collection for Richard's thread here please? if it's not too rude to beg ;-)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 6, 2016 02:34

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 6, 2016 02:41

Wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom!!!
Happy Birthday Little Richard!!!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 6, 2016 03:18

Happy birthday and thanks for the music. This is one of my favorites:

Ready Teddy

Date: December 6, 2016 03:58

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE RICHARD!

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: December 6, 2016 04:22

Still with us! Thank God!

Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino and most importantly, Chuck Berry! The ORIGINATORS! Long live the Originators!

Happy Birthday!

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 6, 2016 05:22

Shut up!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 6, 2016 05:40

thumbs up
HankM

Date: December 6, 2016 05:48

Weeeeeeeeeelllllllll, Long, Tall Sally
She's built for speed, she got everything that Uncle John need oh baby!!!

Yeah baby, woo baby, Havin' me some fun tonight!!! yeah!!!

Here is to hoping Little Richard had him some fun tonight today tomoorow the rest of this year and next year too!!
smileys with beer

LTS PREDATOR STYLE CRANK IT UP!!!

[www.youtube.com]

mobie clip grinning smiley>> [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 05:59 by HankM.

Date: December 6, 2016 05:50

Hairball
thumbs up
HankM

smileys with beerhot smileysmileys with beer

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 05:53 by HankM.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 6, 2016 07:15

Great! Happy Birthday to Little Richard. Indeed, happy he's still with us.

Date: December 6, 2016 07:20

great he is still with us

Date: December 6, 2016 09:04

Dang right man, I will take a Happy Birthday thread over "the 2016s" we have had too many of.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 6, 2016 10:32

Worked with him on a Christmas TV special for FOX in 1988. Backstage he was quiet and humble. Loved standing by his piano while he played Christmas songs.

Date: December 6, 2016 12:46

24FPS
Worked with him on a Christmas TV special for FOX in 1988. Backstage he was quiet and humble. Loved standing by his piano while he played Christmas songs.

Lucky you! Or as Little Richard would say: "Shut up!"

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 6, 2016 13:55

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE RICHARD!!!!!!

YOU ARE MY FIRST MUSICAL HERO! MAY THE ALMIGHTY LORD PROVIDE YOU WITH AT LEAST ANOTHER 20 YEARS IN THIS WORLD!!!

A WHAP BA-BE-LUBA A-WHAP AM BOOOO!!!!!

smileys with beer

Date: December 6, 2016 18:33

"...More notoriously, in 1956, Bob played at a school talent show with a band comprising Larry Fabbro, Chuck Nara and Bill Marinac. Bob, as he does in concert today, played keyboards. The response was mixed.
"We all had to go," remembers Mick Dwyer. "We were all assigned seats. He was singing a Little Richard tune - the principal pulled the curtain on him."
"I remember the time he played on the stage and the kids kind of laughed at him," says Sharon Kepler. "People play that up a lot. But you have to remember that we were teenage kids and at that time were not used to that screaming and pounding on the piano type of music. People claim that's what made him bitter, but I don't think it was..."

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

"I feel Bob Dylan is my blood brother. I believe if I didn't have a place to stay, Bob Dylan would buy me a house. He sat by my bed; he didn't move for hours. I was in pain that medicine couldn't stop. My tongue was cut out, leg all tore up, bladder punctured. I was supposed to be dead..." Little Richard

"I appreciate being picked one of the top 100 performers, but who is number one and who is number two doesn't matter to me anymore. Because it won't be who I think it should be. The Rolling Stones started with me, but they're going to always be in front of me. The Beatles started with me — at the Star Club in Hamburg, Germany, before they ever made an album — but they're going to always be in front of me. James Brown, Jimi Hendrix — these people started with me. I fed them, I talked to them, and they're going to always be in front of me." Little Richard

"Thank you all very much, especially the rock 'n' rollers, an' Little Richard there [pointing to him] - it was all his fault really."
George Harrison (1988), accepting induction on behalf of the Beatles into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"The average person, when they see a black man, they would say "Man, he got soul cos' his color." But I disagree with that.
I think that God would be a very selfish God if He gave all the soul to one race.
He lets his rain fall on the red flowers, the green flowers, the blue flowers; the good, the bad, no races, so He lets His blessings fall on all races.
So I think that there are types of souls, like there are different types of cars. But they're all cars.
You know, I think that, when a white guy sing, if he have soul, that don't mean that he had to copy no negro to get it. I believe if he feels, when one sings from the heart and it reaches another heart, that's soul."
Little Richard

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 6, 2016 18:52

Great artist. One of my faves. Wish him all the best re his birthday.

If y'all are willing to pick through u-toob, find the songs from the album LR did called Southern Child. It's him doing southern soul. Great stuff.

My children loved the kids songs album he did for Disney back in 1992 called Shake It All About, along with his greatest hits album. They'd sing along to the kids songs and jump and dance like crazy to the greatest hits.

And, for your enjoyment, here's LR doing the blues.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 6, 2016 19:09

I'm back. Crusin' through utoob listening to LR cutz. The Animals (and many others) covered this r&b hit. Dig LR.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 6, 2016 19:33

I mention the great Little Richard in my song, Ocmulgee Music:

[search.myway.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 19:35 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 6, 2016 21:10

Mick about Lucille at 5sec........................

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 7, 2016 08:00

Wry Cooter
Shut up!

Ha! I would not have got that if I hadn't seen him live.

Still has the voice and the playing ability and personality, at least when I've ween him in the last decade. I did notice he seemed to mainly repeat the chorus on a lot of songs, but who cares, it was entertaining and sounded great.

Date: December 7, 2016 08:40

hopkins
"I feel Bob Dylan is my blood brother. I believe if I didn't have a place to stay, Bob Dylan would buy me a house. He sat by my bed; he didn't move for hours. I was in pain that medicine couldn't stop. My tongue was cut out, leg all tore up, bladder punctured. I was supposed to be dead..." Little Richard

Hm... When did this happen? I have never heard about this. Did Bob really vistit Richard?

Date: December 7, 2016 10:47

frenki09
hopkins

Hm... When did this happen? I have never heard about this. Did Bob really vistit Richard?

well i wasn't there, wish I had tried, he was at the go-to 'local' hospital for much of the entertainment industry on the Westside. Bob knows the town pretty well, he's got local blood on the tracks all over the Westside, including his home up in Malibu land a long history of personal and musical adventures...i mean it would have been easy for him to drive himself over there if he wasn't working out of town...and Dylan's not the kind to blab about such things... he clearly loves the guy in any case...
bob had just done Infidels after the 'Christian' LP trilogy of releases....
...Richard had quit secular music the year after he scored all those hits in '56, conflicted about wanting to have pure intentions with his life...i think Dylan would have understood that...Richard was performing in his natural afro without makeup and singing gospel music in suits (and ripping it up) for a time before re-intering the pop music world...Richard was a good run of sucessful work at the time. It would be almost be a little weird for his closest admirers, who really understood his impact viscerally, to NOT visit. Dylan was at Woody's bedside as well....

"The first entry was about rock legend Little Richard, who nearly died in a West Hollywood car crash in 1985.
Little Richard lived in Room 319 in the Continental Hyatt Hotel — now the Andaz — in the 1980s and ’90s.
He was working on a biography and appeared in the movie “Down and Out in Beverly Hills.”
He scored a hit single, “Great Gosh a Mighty,” and finished a well-received album.
He’d just finished playing the part of a preacher in the television drama “Miami Vice” when the near-tragedy occurred on Route 66:

After filming concluded near midnight at a Hollywood studio, he was driving home on Santa Monica Boulevard when he apparently fell asleep at the wheel of his Nissan 300ZX. Witnesses claimed the car was traveling at least 60 miles per hour when it slammed into a telephone pole at Curson Avenue, nearly killing him. Firefighters needed a full hour to cut him from the wreckage while he was pinned between the steering wheel and front seat.
Penniman, 52 years old at the time, was so seriously injured he believed he should have died given the severity of the wreck. His right leg had to be reconstructed – it was fractured in more than eight places, doctors said, requiring 35 pins. The singer also suffered a punctured bladder and broken ribs along with head and facial injuries.
“I was supposed to be dead. Six feet under,” he said in numerous media interviews afterwards. “Everyone who saw the (smashed up) car or pictures of it on television wonders how I could still be alive.” Lying in bed in a private room at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, he observed, “It tells me that God worked a miracle.”
His recovery prevented him from attending the first Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an inductee."

[www.route66news.com]

[articles.latimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-07 10:52 by hopkins.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 7, 2016 11:56

The happiest of day-after birthday blessings on Little Richard! xox

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 7, 2016 16:34

Happy Birthday Long Tall Sally

Date: December 7, 2016 18:11

hopkins
frenki09
hopkins

well i wasn't there, wish I had tried, he was at the go-to 'local' hospital for much of the entertainment industry on the Westside. Bob knows the town pretty well, he's got local blood on the tracks all over the Westside, including his home up in Malibu land a long history of personal and musical adventures...i mean it would have been easy for him to drive himself over there if he wasn't working out of town...and Dylan's not the kind to blab about such things... he clearly loves the guy in any case...
bob had just done Infidels after the 'Christian' LP trilogy of releases....
...Richard had quit secular music the year after he scored all those hits in '56, conflicted about wanting to have pure intentions with his life...i think Dylan would have understood that...Richard was performing in his natural afro without makeup and singing gospel music in suits (and ripping it up) for a time before re-intering the pop music world...Richard was a good run of sucessful work at the time. It would be almost be a little weird for his closest admirers, who really understood his impact viscerally, to NOT visit. Dylan was at Woody's bedside as well....

"The first entry was about rock legend Little Richard, who nearly died in a West Hollywood car crash in 1985.
Little Richard lived in Room 319 in the Continental Hyatt Hotel — now the Andaz — in the 1980s and ’90s.
He was working on a biography and appeared in the movie “Down and Out in Beverly Hills.”
He scored a hit single, “Great Gosh a Mighty,” and finished a well-received album.
He’d just finished playing the part of a preacher in the television drama “Miami Vice” when the near-tragedy occurred on Route 66:

After filming concluded near midnight at a Hollywood studio, he was driving home on Santa Monica Boulevard when he apparently fell asleep at the wheel of his Nissan 300ZX. Witnesses claimed the car was traveling at least 60 miles per hour when it slammed into a telephone pole at Curson Avenue, nearly killing him. Firefighters needed a full hour to cut him from the wreckage while he was pinned between the steering wheel and front seat.
Penniman, 52 years old at the time, was so seriously injured he believed he should have died given the severity of the wreck. His right leg had to be reconstructed – it was fractured in more than eight places, doctors said, requiring 35 pins. The singer also suffered a punctured bladder and broken ribs along with head and facial injuries.
“I was supposed to be dead. Six feet under,” he said in numerous media interviews afterwards. “Everyone who saw the (smashed up) car or pictures of it on television wonders how I could still be alive.” Lying in bed in a private room at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, he observed, “It tells me that God worked a miracle.”
His recovery prevented him from attending the first Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an inductee."

[www.route66news.com]

[articles.latimes.com]

It's an amazing story. Thanks a lot for sharing it here.

I am not surprised that Dylan loved Richard. Dylan seems such a private guy. It almost seems he has no social life, at least nowadays. Gives an interview every 4-5 years. Rarely smiles. No talking between songs at concerts. Not very communicative about the Nobel prize. Not attending the recent White House reception. Hard to guess what he is thinking these days...

I think George Harrison said that when he needed something for a recording (which turned out to be Handle with Care) he called Bob who -- much to George's surprise -- picked up the phone. He said Bob usually would let the answering machine pick it up. ... It sounded like a guy who didn't want to be bothered.

He was greatly missed from the tribute concert Clapton organized for George. I wish I'd knew why he didn't go... I often wonder why.

How does Bob feel when losing a musician friend? Like when Richard Manuel hung himself. Was Bob aware of the situation? A lonesome death.

In Chronicles he writes about catching up with Bloomfield one last time, and about the Bible he got from Mike. A very moving story.

And then there's the story of Bob seeing Steve Jones from Sex Pistols and giving him a huge and long hug. (They recorded together not long before.)

Bob is such a mystery.

So... Thanks again for the amazing details. And here comes another question. When was Woody THAT sick? And how do you know about these things? Just curious...

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: December 7, 2016 20:04

Happy Birthday To One of The Originals That Helped Start it All!!

Date: December 7, 2016 21:30

frenki09
So... Thanks again for the amazing details. And here comes another question. When was Woody THAT sick? And how do you know about these things? Just curious...

Thank you; Gosh I don't know about Richard Manuel; it's just too sad and tragic. I'm sure his friends were devastated. How would anybody feel about this kind of sad thing? Dylan as far back as Don't Look Back was confronting the press about their own relevance to truth, obviously always holding holding their definitions of him at a distance and suspect, and keeping his personal and family life private. I'm just a fan living in the same big city and interested as many are who drive the same roads and walk the same streets. If you saw Dylan in L.A. the good sections are jammed with showbizzy famous all a few degrees from some kind of contact with each other but i have no special info or personal contact. I was touched to read Little Richard's story about the hours Dylan sat there and supported him in hard cirumstances.
It reminded me of the Woody visit(s). All I know is just what's been printed about Dylan when 19 & visiting Greystone hospital at a point the disease had pretty much ravaged him horribly. The young writer comforting this great icon and spirit who was having great difficulties in even communicating...
About the white house and all that....well he went once and sang a song. (or was that the Kennedy center?) I'm not sure. he didn't do the meet and greet. The awards and charity business' is it's own game....?
obama:
Here’s what I love about Dylan: He was exactly as you’d expect he would be. He wouldn’t come to the rehearsal; usually, all these guys are practicing before the set in the evening. He didn’t want to take a picture with me; usually all the talent is dying to take a picture with me and Michelle before the show, but he didn’t show up to that. He came in and played “The Times They Are A-Changin’.” A beautiful rendition. The guy is so steeped in this stuff that he can just come up with some new arrangement, and the song sounds completely different. Finishes the song, steps off the stage… comes up, shakes my hand, sort of tips his head, gives me just a little grin, and then leaves… That was our only interaction with him. And I thought: That’s how you want Bob Dylan, right? You don’t want him to be all cheesin’ and grinnin’ with you. You want him to be a little skeptical about the whole enterprise."
_____

thanks frenki ! I really didn't know about Dylan visiting Richard in the hosptial and sitting with him for long periods until yesterday, and had just the vaguest memory of that latimes article i linked...all those accident details are pasted from that rt. 66 link i also included. I didn't know the Steve Jones story either but it's super great one!! Here's Dylan into Little Richard & The Sex Pistols and I somehow don't find that even surprising... Wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom!

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 00:58 by hopkins.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home