Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Any Reviews on possible Christmas Books: Altamont (by Josh slevin) and All the Songs
Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: December 6, 2016 01:11

Anyone read either of these yet?

All the Songs seems more of a coffee table book.

I tried to search on here for reviews but either there aren't any or I just couldn't find them

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 16:56 by HalfNanker.

Re: Any Reviews on possible Christmas Books: Altamont (by Josh slevin) and All the Words
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: December 6, 2016 03:59

I enjoyed both, I remember reading that Altamont got bad reviews, but as I enjoyed the movie 'Gimme Shelter' immensely, the book was a great read.

'All the songs', while good, is not as good as 'Rolling Stones Gear'

Re: Any Reviews on possible Christmas Books: Altamont (by Josh slevin) and All the Words
Posted by: tookthatname ()
Date: December 6, 2016 04:36

Joel selvin was my old college teacher. The history of rock and roll class at San Francisco state. 2 classes, early years, later years. Seriously, quite the character. He never did play even one stones song in the whole class.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: December 6, 2016 08:40

I enjoyed Joel Selvin's new book Altamont. Things I've never heard before. Gram Parsons is in it. I didn't know the Flying Burrito Brothers played Altamont. Much of the crowd was on LSD cut with strychnine and speed, which makes one want to be naked. That explains the front row. Jagger's friend Miss Pamela came up from Hollywood thinking Altamont would be another Woodstock but she didn't like the vibe and she left after the Burritos played. Later she went to see Mick at his hotel thinking she'd calm him down after the traumatic concert but she was disappointed at his suggestion that she join him in a three way with Michelle Phillips who had also shown up to calm him down.

Re: Any Reviews on possible Christmas Books: Altamont (by Josh slevin) and All the Songs
Date: December 6, 2016 16:54

found a good interview with Joel Slevin about the book:

[www.blogtalkradio.com]

no comments on All the Songs, huh? [just realized i mistitled it when I started the thread...oops]

I was wondering if it was for Stones beginners or if there is anything in there for us aficionados??

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 16:57 by HalfNanker.

Re: Any Reviews on possible Christmas Books: Altamont (by Josh slevin) and All the Songs
Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: December 6, 2016 17:34

There's got to be hundreds of possibilities if you're thinking as a Christmas gift. If Dalton's The First 20 Years is available, that would be my suggestion. It combines coffee table style with some legit snippets of contemporary commentary, interviews and reviews.

Plus, the format (as I remember it) is cool and the photos and images too.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 6, 2016 17:50

Selvin's Altamont book paints a good time line of before-to-after the event and tries to be accurate without too much speculation. Although there is some finger-pointing on who REALLY was to blame for it all. Also deconstructs the 'Gimmie Shelter' movie as inaccurate, and not in sequence.

However, after reading 1969 tour manager Sam Cutler's book 'You Can't Always Get What You Want', you get his incredible crazy stories, that enhance, (and slightly contradict) 'Altamont'. You don't envy the guy for having a shitstorm dumped upon him.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 6, 2016 17:56

Nothing says "Christmas" like Altamont!

Date: December 6, 2016 18:12

nightskyman
There's got to be hundreds of possibilities if you're thinking as a Christmas gift. If Dalton's The First 20 Years is available, that would be my suggestion. It combines coffee table style with some legit snippets of contemporary commentary, interviews and reviews.

Plus, the format (as I remember it) is cool and the photos and images too.

ive read all the book that are out there already, including Daltons book when it first came out. I agree it was a good one!

But my inquiry was merely limited to those two new titles.
I don't need to reread stuff I've read and/or could have written myself!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 18:17 by HalfNanker.

Date: December 7, 2016 03:55

Ross

I have been on IORR since the 90's. This is the best post I have seen in the whole time. Haha..that is f&ckin brilliant.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 7, 2016 05:18

I highly recommend Joel Selvin's ALTAMONT.

He has a lot of material that has not been covered before.

I was around the boys and their people quite a lot before and
after Altamont and Joel does a good job on the cast of characters.

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: December 7, 2016 21:10

If your impressed by Gimme Shelter and Stanley Booths work I would recommend Selvins book as a must read. He wasn’t at Altamont but spent many years close to the flame/embers. For instance he interviewed Dick Carter at the speedway in 79 and generally connected many dots and loose ends since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-07 21:20 by slakka.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 8, 2016 21:56

Palace Revolution 2000

I have been on IORR since the 90's. This is the best post I have seen in the whole time. Haha..that is f&ckin brilliant.

Glad you enjoyed it! grinning smiley

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: December 10, 2016 03:55

Just finished Selvin's book and found it very enjoyable. Gave excellent background on all the major players and the lead up to the concert.

Interesting Booth gave it a 1 star review on Amazon saying it was crap but his review disappeared shortly after

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 10, 2016 04:40

An illustrated edition of "Twas The Night Before Christmas" to read aloud and share. Used to read this story/poem to the youngin's, mine and the neighbors, back in the day on every Christmas Eve eve. We had a friend dress up as Santa Claus and drop in to the house on Christmas Eve until the kids got old enough to figure out who Santa really was. Another tradition was to watch "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney on Christmas Eve. My daughter learned every word of the songs they sang in the movie and loved to sing along with the flick.

If you have folks in your life into Harry Potter, get them the illustrated versions of the books. I think right now it's only the first two, but they make nice Christmas gifts for Potter fans.

Date: December 10, 2016 21:44

oldschool
Just finished Selvin's book and found it very enjoyable. Gave excellent background on all the major players and the lead up to the concert.

Interesting Booth gave it a 1 star review on Amazon saying it was crap but his review disappeared shortly after

Dang!! Thats the review I was waiting for!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-10 21:59 by slakka.

Date: December 11, 2016 04:16

slakka

Dang!! Thats the review I was waiting for!!

Not much of a review by Booth as he just said the book was crap and that he was actually at Altamont standing behind Keef's amp while Selvin wasn't..no reason given as to why he felt it was crap.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 11, 2016 06:17

oldschool
the book was crap and that he was actually at Altamont standing behind Keef's amp while Selvin wasn't..

You make it sound as if Stanley Booth mentioned he was behind Keith's amp vs. Joel Selvin's not being behind Keith's amp.

Is that the case, or did Stanley indicate that he was at Altamont (and watched everything unfold from the vantage point of behind Keith's amp), as opposed to Joel's not attending Altamont...?

- swiss

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-11 09:24 by swiss.

Date: December 11, 2016 06:49

swiss

You make it sound as if Stanley Booth mentioned he was behind Keith's amp vs. Joel Selvin's not being behind Keith's amp. Is that the case, or did Stanley indicate that he was at Altamont (and watched everything unfold from the vantage point of behind Keith's amp), as opposed to Joel's not attending Altamont...?

From what I remember of the review Booth stated he was behind Keef's amp at Altamont. The review was only one or two sentences so not much more than I already wrote and disappeared a week after I read it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-11 16:47 by oldschool.

Date: December 11, 2016 09:15

oldschool -- you edited your post prior to this so that it appears that I said Selvin's book was crap. I know Joel Selvin from San Francisco, I have a good idea of what kind of effort went into his crafting this book, and I would never call his book "crap." Please fix that in your post above to reflect that it was you who said that, supposedly paraphrasing Stanley Booth.

---------------------
And...

oldschool
...the book was crap and that he was actually at Altamont standing behind Keef's amp while Selvin wasn't..

swiss
You make it sound as if Stanley Booth mentioned he was behind Keith's amp vs. Joel Selvin's not being behind Keith's amp.

Is that the case, or did Stanley indicate that he was at Altamont (and watched everything unfold from the vantage point of behind Keith's amp), as opposed to Joel's not attending Altamont...?

oldschool
From what I remember of the review Booth stated he was behind Keef's amp at Altamont. The review was only one or two sentences so not much more than I already wrote and disappeared a week after I read it.

My point was your post made it sound like Booth was gloating about being behind Keith's amp, while Selvin wasn't.

What seems more likely is Booth's saying he actually attended Altamont, while Selvin was not at Altamont.

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-11 09:23 by swiss.

Date: December 11, 2016 16:41

swiss
oldschool -- you edited your post prior to this so that it appears that I said Selvin's book was crap. I know Joel Selvin from San Francisco, I have a good idea of what kind of effort went into his crafting this book, and I would never call his book "crap." Please fix that in your post above to reflect that it was you who said that, supposedly paraphrasing Stanley Booth.

---------------------
And...

...the book was crap and that he was actually at Altamont standing behind Keef's amp while Selvin wasn't..

My point was your post made it sound like Booth was gloating about being behind Keith's amp, while Selvin wasn't.

What seems more likely is Booth's saying he actually attended Altamont, while Selvin was not at Altamont.

- swiss

Sorry Swiss I fixed my post as it must have happened when I quoted you. I would never purposely change your post to twist your words.

My post was not attributing anything to Booth other than what he said in his very short review. The review was only a sentence or two and he basically said Selvin's book was crap as he was not at Altamont while he, Booth, was there behind Keef's amp. I could not tell you if Booth was gloating or just making a point that he was actually at Altamont while Selvin was not. I also am not judging Booth as he is entitled to his opinion. He did not elaborate on why he felt the book was crap.

All I can say is I enjoyed the book. I leave it to the experts on the subject to analyze its possible flaws and inaccuracies they feel it may have.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-11 17:53 by oldschool.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 11, 2016 18:44

Ross

>grinning smiley<

Date: December 12, 2016 03:28

oldschool
All I can say is I enjoyed the book. I leave it to the experts on the subject to analyze its possible flaws and inaccuracies they feel it may have.

oldschool, The way I see it, if nothing else Joel Selvin's journalistic ability to bash out content quickly under deadline served him exceedingly well. He turned around this book rapidly, and was "first to market" on the topic of Altamont. That in itself is a massive achievement. Others may have projects in the pipeline, conduct dozens of original interviews, do thousands of hours of research, toil for years---but, at the end of the day, cranking out content of Altamont to an audience who has been hungering for it for years is a laudable accomplishment.
-swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 03:29 by swiss.

Date: December 12, 2016 04:25

swiss

oldschool, The way I see it, if nothing else Joel Selvin's journalistic ability to bash out content quickly under deadline served him exceedingly well. He turned around this book rapidly, and was "first to market" on the topic of Altamont. That in itself is a massive achievement. Others may have projects in the pipeline, conduct dozens of original interviews, do thousands of hours of research, toil for years---but, at the end of the day, cranking out content of Altamont to an audience who has been hungering for it for years is a laudable accomplishment.
-swiss

turns out my crappy free Dell tablet mixes my quotes with anyone I reply to so that is why my quote mixed with yours. will have to keep this in mind when I quote other posters.

I agree Swiss, I think Selvin did an fantastic job with his book and based on his appendix did his research. I am a huge fan of the 1969 tour and have read everything I can on that tour and Altamont and I learned a good amount new info from his book.

That being said also love Booth's book and have read that several times.

Looking forward to Ron S. book as should be some good details related to the business side.

Date: December 12, 2016 08:11

oldschool
turns out my crappy free Dell tablet mixes my quotes with anyone I reply to so that is why my quote mixed with yours. will have to keep this in mind when I quote other posters.

Technology is so far from being perfect - mysteries still abound.

oldschool
Looking forward to Ron S. book as should be some good details related to the business side.

Ronnie's book is going to be awesome -- cannot wait!

(Incidentally, the Altamont projects I was poking with a stick for taking a long time to complete were my own, by the way winking smiley )

Date: December 13, 2016 20:22

I am rereading Sam Cutler's book and it ties in nicely with Selvin's Altamont book.

Sam really gets into the shady John Jaymes character in depth and how he wormed his way into the tour decision making.

Only a couple of hundred pages long and a good quick read.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 14, 2016 05:03

I skimmed the Altamont book at the library tonight.
Interesting bits included the Stones and assorted hanger-on (17 or 19 people in total) squeezing into a helicopter after the show. ... Also the story about how Mick and Jo Bergman put $1.5 million into suitcase and transported it to Switzerland (sounds dubious).
At this point in my Stones reading, I don't have much confidence in fact from fiction anymore.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 14, 2016 16:51

Sorry..but i have read every Altamont book and Cutler and Booth are much better than Selvin's.
Didnt like Selvin book..it was like hearing/reading everything i already knew.
No doubt he had his contacts..but was he even at Altamonte? Didnt like the way he put together "quotes"..well no reference to quotes anyway.
For example, he mentions the Charlie Watts chat about the Jagger girl whilst waiting for the chopper to Altamonte...we all see it on the extras of Gimme Shelter and its word for word...like an amateur doing their research.. at least credit the account...sorry but give me sam or stanley's account anytime. Another gripe i have with Selvin is how "brief" he is in his explanation of events...rushed? The whole book feels rushed...and i wont mention his fascination in blaming Jagger for the fiasco...ridiculous.
Enjoy!

Date: December 14, 2016 20:29

oldschool
I am rereading Sam Cutler's book and it ties in nicely with Selvin's Altamont book.

Sam really gets into the shady John Jaymes character in depth and how he wormed his way into the tour decision making.

This guy never ceases to amaze me. You’d think a con artist that young would come unglued a bit around a heavyweight like Mel Belli, but Jayme’s didn’t bottle out. I have access to Bellis son these days. I’m gonna try pumping him for any of his dads recollections. Sometimes this methodology works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-14 20:37 by slakka.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 15, 2016 07:44

Well, if money were no object, of course I would want Dominique Tarlé's Exile.. Failing that, the Taschen book that came out a few years ago would be very welcome under my tree. There was a large size and a huge size, and I think also a cheaper paperback edition for €99.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2070
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home