Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

YCAGWYW recorded as a charity single in the UK
Posted by: DD ()
Date: December 6, 2016 01:09

Hello,

I couldn't find a post related to this - I apolgise if you all already know.
In June of this year a British MP, Jo Cox, was tragically murdered by a political extremist in horrific circumstances. The choice of You Can't Always Get What You Want as a charity single seems a trifle bizarre to me, but that's what they've recorded. More here:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Declan

Re: YCAGWYW recorded as a charity single in the UK
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 6, 2016 01:22

Does seem a bit of an odd choice, seems likely it may have been a favorite of the deceased??

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 6, 2016 01:37

Perplexed that neither of the D's above consider it an apt choice, as plenty of the lyrics as well as the overall message and title of the song seem to fit well with the situation.

Olly.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 6, 2016 01:45

That song has been irrevocably ruined for me, unfortunately.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 6, 2016 02:49

Olly
Perplexed that neither of the D's above consider it an apt choice, as plenty of the lyrics as well as the overall message and title of the song seem to fit well with the situation.

How so? I can see a loose connection with demonstrations and bloodstained hands, but the overall message of "You can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need" hardly seems appropriate with regard to a needless and horrific death? confused smiley

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 6, 2016 10:19

Why not Paint It Black or Sympathy For The Devil or Street Fighting Man?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 17, 2016 01:29

Rolling Stones waive their royalties on Jo Cox tribute single

Bookmakers William Hill pledge to donate to charity all money staked on the cover of You Can’t Always Get What You Want reaching Christmas No 1

[www.theguardian.com]

The Rolling Stones have waived their claim on royalties from the cover version of You Can’t Always Get What You Want that is being released in memory of the murdered MP Jo Cox.

The track, which features Ricky Wilson of the Kaiser Chiefs, KT Tunstall, David Gray, Steve Harley of Cockney Rebel, and the cross-party parliamentary band MP4, is intended to raise money for the Jo Cox Foundation.

The Scottish National party’s leader in the House of Commons, Pete Wishart – who formerly played keyboard in the band Runrig, and now plays in MP4 – revealed during business questions in the Commons on Thursday that the Stones had offered to forgo their royalties.

“I’m sure the leader of the house would also like to join me in thanking Sir Mick Jagger and Keith Richards for waiving their royalties to their piece of You Can’t Always Get What You Want, ensuring that even more money goes to the Jo Cox Foundation,” he said.

The bookmakers William Hill will donate the money staked on the single being Christmas No 1 to charity. MPs praised the move and urged other bookies to do the same.

Labour MP Kevin Brennan, MP4’s guitarist, said: “Instead of the traditional adjournment debate, perhaps the Tuesday debate could be on a substantive motion in tribute to our fallen colleague Jo Cox, that this House believes we have more in common that that which divides us.

“And if we did have such a debate it would enable us to highlight wonderful gestures like William Hill, the bookmakers, have made this morning around the Friends of Jo Cox single in saying they will donate all the money staked on it becoming Christmas number one, and in addition make a £5,000 donation to the Jo Cox Foundation.

“Does the leader agree that it would be a wonderful gesture if all the other bookmakers matched William Hill’s generosity?”

The Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, used prime minister’s questions on Wednesday to urge all MPs to download the single, prompting agreement from the prime minister, Theresa May.

“The right honourable gentleman is absolutely right, we should send a very clear message: download this single for the Jo Cox Foundation, it’s a very important cause,” she said.

“We all recognise that Jo Cox was a very fine member of this House … it’s right, I think, that the chancellor of the exchequer is waiving the VAT on this single. Everybody involved gave their services for free. Once again let’s just encourage everyone to download this single.”

Jo Cox was murdered in Birstall in West Yorkshire, part of her Batley and Spen constituency, on 16 June. Thomas Mair was convicted of her murder on 23 November and sentenced to life imprisonment. The foundation was set up “to advance the values and causes that Jo fought for in her life”.

YCAGWYW cover and royalties
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 17, 2016 13:54

read about it here

The Rolling Stones have waived their claim on royalties from the cover version of You Can’t Always Get What You Want that is being released in memory of the murdered MP Jo Cox.

The track, which features Ricky Wilson of the Kaiser Chiefs, KT Tunstall, David Gray, Steve Harley of Cockney Rebel, and the cross-party parliamentary band MP4, is intended to raise money for the Jo Cox Foundation.

The Scottish National party’s leader in the House of Commons, Pete Wishart – who formerly played keyboard in the band Runrig, and now plays in MP4 – revealed during business questions in the Commons on Thursday that the Stones had offered to forgo their royalties.

“I’m sure the leader of the house would also like to join me in thanking Sir Mick Jagger and Keith Richards for waiving their royalties to their piece of You Can’t Always Get What You Want, ensuring that even more money goes to the Jo Cox Foundation,” he said.

The bookmakers William Hill will donate the money staked on the single being Christmas No 1 to charity. MPs praised the move and urged other bookies to do the same.

Labour MP Kevin Brennan, MP4’s guitarist, said: “Instead of the traditional adjournment debate, perhaps the Tuesday debate could be on a substantive motion in tribute to our fallen colleague Jo Cox, that this House believes we have more in common that that which divides us.

The stories you need to read, in one handy email
Read more
“And if we did have such a debate it would enable us to highlight wonderful gestures like William Hill, the bookmakers, have made this morning around the Friends of Jo Cox single in saying they will donate all the money staked on it becoming Christmas number one, and in addition make a £5,000 donation to the Jo Cox Foundation.

“Does the leader agree that it would be a wonderful gesture if all the other bookmakers matched William Hill’s generosity?”

The Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, used prime minister’s questions on Wednesday to urge all MPs to download the single, prompting agreement from the prime minister, Theresa May.

“The right honourable gentleman is absolutely right, we should send a very clear message: download this single for the Jo Cox Foundation, it’s a very important cause,” she said.

“We all recognise that Jo Cox was a very fine member of this House … it’s right, I think, that the chancellor of the exchequer is waiving the VAT on this single. Everybody involved gave their services for free. Once again let’s just encourage everyone to download this single.”

Jo Cox was murdered in Birstall in West Yorkshire, part of her Batley and Spen constituency, on 16 June. Thomas Mair was convicted of her murder on 23 November and sentenced to life imprisonment. The foundation was set up “to advance the values and causes that Jo fought for in her life”.

Re: YCAGWYW cover and royalties
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 17, 2016 13:58

[iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: YCAGWYW cover and royalties
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 17, 2016 13:59

er
ok
nevermind
thanks, Deltics

Jo cox charity single YCAGWYW- stones waive royalties
Posted by: EJM ()
Date: December 15, 2016 19:59

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Jo cox was an inspiring young MP who was shot during the run up to Brexit - the single is for a charity set up in her name. Singers are professionals and 16 MPs across the parties. Good that Mick and Keith are not going to make money out of it

Re: Jo cox charity single YCAGWYW- stones waive royalties
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 15, 2016 22:07

I wonder if ABKCO will also waive their publisher's fees.

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: December 16, 2016 15:41

I was very pleased to see this news this morning.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 16, 2016 16:13

I actually would be very surprised if this is even possible...

Mathijs

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 17, 2016 17:26

Mathijs

Mathijs

Yes, surely it is possible.
Think of the George Harrison's Bangla Desh single and album.
Of course (as in the example above) it can cause the tax authorities some grief...then you have record labels...artist managers...some artists etc. So not as straightforward as you would think.

I think ALL George's Material World album songwriting income went to his charity (of the same name).

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 17, 2016 22:12

....publishing rights belong to ABKCO...and composing/writers royalties belongs to Mick & Keith...if I understand well...!!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 17, 2016 23:52

A good comparison to throw in would be the Band Aid single.

Eventually it took a public stand up row between Geldorf and the dreadful Mrs Thatcher to get the UK Govt to waive the VAT (Purchase tax).

Will her new successor body double Prime Minister do the same?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: DD ()
Date: December 20, 2016 02:20

Hello. Would be a good idea to try to promote this as widely as possible as there are a huge number of songs vying for the Christmas no.1 spot. This one needs a hand, I reckon.

Declan

Date: December 20, 2016 14:24

jlowe
Mathijs

Mathijs

Yes, surely it is possible.
Think of the George Harrison's Bangla Desh single and album.
Of course (as in the example above) it can cause the tax authorities some grief...then you have record labels...artist managers...some artists etc. So not as straightforward as you would think.

I think ALL George's Material World album songwriting income went to his charity (of the same name).

That was a great mess as well. Thing is, you basically earn credits for the song, and I don't know whether you can say that you want all the credit earnings except for a certain release. I don't think that is possible. You will receive all funds, and you can then decide to transfer the proceedings to whatever cause.

Mathijs

Date: December 20, 2016 14:36

It should be possible to pin down every penny they got for this song for a period of time, register is as income, and eventually use it for charitable causes (it's depreciationable, too...).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-20 14:37 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: December 20, 2016 17:40

Can the single only be downloaded via iTunes?? No 7"?

Date: December 20, 2016 18:50

DandelionPowderman
It should be possible to pin down every penny they got for this song for a period of time, register is as income, and eventually use it for charitable causes (it's depreciationable, too...).

Don't think so. They will receive a slip with 'YCAGWY, 2,670 spins on UK Radio in 2016, $125,000', without any more details.

Mathijs

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 20, 2016 23:54

The single is #59 in the UK midweek chart selling less than 7,000 copies so far:
[www.officialcharts.com]

Blue and Lonesome is #4 on the Midweek album chart with over 30k sold on 4 days:
[www.officialcharts.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home