Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 32
Re: ..Stones at number One..
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 6, 2016 01:25

Seems the Stones were underestimated as well as the public demand for it.
Could be based on their not so great "recent" releases + lack of enthusiasm for them, but not sure what the those numbers were.
Probably a surprise for all involved - a shame they didn't make enough product to accommodate the demand.
They could of been selling thousands more as we speak...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 6, 2016 01:28

georgelicks
"Figuring out when and how to release it was trickier. "I'm saying to the record company," says Jagger, "'Can you make this pop music if you want? Is it marketable?'"

From Rolling Stone latest issue.

Jagger must be speechless...

this is the most passionate and especially sincere that Jagger has sounded since a very very long time. People respond to authenticity and he certainly is one of the best at what he does.....they finally sound like they should sound....not one song is cringeworthy on B & L....all good things for the Stones and their fans.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: December 6, 2016 04:44

Now if they would just get the message and do a blues/R&B tour, where they just sit down like old blues men and play. Mick doesn't have to jump around the stage anymore.

They could play arenas and fill them without the showmanship. Or they could play theaters and charge outrageous prices, with some Lucky Dip seats.

Or they could just do a sit-down set at arenas for 1/3 or 1/2 the show, like the small second stage bit they did in the past, but without trying to raise the roof.

Fans would respond to the authenticity (and the novelty).

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: December 6, 2016 08:09

"Now if they would just get the message and do a blues/R&B tour, where they just sit down like old blues men and play".

Bam, I don't think public's message is the same as for tours. I'm sure that millions people still want to hear JJF and Gimme Shelter, when they are going to see the Stones live. I could't imagine a comletaly blues set list. But 3-4 songs from BL would be fine to me.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 6, 2016 15:37

This album is selling well because it's the mature album people want to hear from the band. Nobody wants to hear 75 year old men trying to compete with 18 year olds on the pop charts.

P.S. Went into my local Best Buy (to buy a tv)and they are taking rain checks for the album as they are totally out of stock. I wonder if even the record company underestimated the demand?

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 6, 2016 15:42

"Nobody wants to hear 75 year old men trying to compete with 18 year olds on the pop charts"

But the strange thing is that on B & L The Rolling Stones, especially Mick Jagger sound if they were in their 20's. Mick's voice is breathtaking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 15:46 by 1962.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 6, 2016 15:50

I agree with James Kirk 100%. It is a mature album from a mature band, albeit the greatest mature band ever. I knew it would be big based on the first few reviews I saw on Facebook from folks I know that aren't big Stones fans... "It is awesome!" was the word from these casual fans. And when I went into my local record store (Bull Moose Music is still alive and well in northern New England), there were three of us in line buying the album. Just like the old days! If you think back, the last release that really captivated that mature audience was 'Stripped'... And if I do say so myself, Little Baby could fit quite nicely on this record. Mick Jagger's vocals are stronger than anything he's done in 30+ years, and the guitars sound great, the blues numbers are diversified, and tight... Clapton's bits are not overwhelming, just sweet and tasteful. It's a damn good record, and I am not a big blues fan.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 6, 2016 15:56

James Kirk
This album is selling well because it's the mature album people want to hear from the band. Nobody wants to hear 75 year old men trying to compete with 18 year olds on the pop charts.

P.S. Went into my local Best Buy (to buy a tv)and they are taking rain checks for the album as they are totally out of stock. I wonder if even the record company underestimated the demand?

thumbs up
Completely agree.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 6, 2016 16:40

James Kirk

Respectfully Disagree.
If anything Rolling Stones fans (should) have learned by now, is that their age isn't that relevant when it comes to making and performing music. Also, not sure what "trying to compete" really means. They make music to the best of their ability and then try to sell it. Of course they want it to be successful. If their new album (hopefully) next year consisted of originals and performances as good as these, the last thing we would be saying is.. it's good, but they're too old to compete with the whipper-snappers.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 6, 2016 17:01

Jagger is clearly stuck in a shiny mentality ie contemporary. His excuses for making new albums has always been a load of crap. Keith is the one that's said all along let's stick to what we do best. Mick has made them contemporary ("compete" is ridiculous) with bizarre results. Miss You and Emotional Rescue worked. Undercover Of The Night and Too Much Blood worked (and were at least inventive in terms of being original). What Mick did on BRIDGES was ridiculous (and by no means inventive like anything they did for UNDERCOVER).

People don't want to hear the Stones behind the times trying to sound like (enter last month's trend setter here).

What Mick forgot about being contemporary is that in order for it to be a success it has to be good.

Keith was right. As BLUE & LONESOME proves.

Date: December 6, 2016 19:44

georgelicks:

UK chart update (Friday/Monday sales)

1 Rolling Stones - Blue and Lonesome (75.3k)
2 Michael Ball & Alfie Boe - Together (38.0k)
3 Elvis Presley - The Wonder of You (31.2k)
4 Little Mix - Glory Days (30.9k)
5 Olly Murs - 24 HRS (22.6k)

It sold 10k yesterday and with today's deal at Amazon it will end the week around 90-100k, almost the total sold by ABB so far.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 6, 2016 19:45

Here's the complete list of the Grammy nominations, and there's no Stones on it.

[www.grammy.com]

Date: December 6, 2016 19:54

georgelicks:

UK chart update (Friday/Monday sales)

1 Rolling Stones - Blue and Lonesome (75.3k)
2 Michael Ball & Alfie Boe - Together (38.0k)
3 Elvis Presley - The Wonder of You (31.2k)
4 Little Mix - Glory Days (30.9k)
5 Olly Murs - 24 HRS (22.6k)

It sold 10k yesterday and with today's deal at Amazon it will end the week around 90-100k, almost the total sold by ABB so far.

ABB sold about 140k in 11 years (UK)

B&L 75k in 4 days (UK)!

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 22:15 by 1962.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: December 6, 2016 20:16

Book a club in New York and LA, play a 20 or 23 song setlist, and play the entire Blue & Lonesome album within the setlist. It can be done! Would make a great blu-ray and live album.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: December 6, 2016 20:31

JohnnyBGoode
Book a club in New York and LA, play a 20 or 23 song setlist, and play the entire Blue & Lonesome album within the setlist. It can be done! Would make a great blu-ray and live album.

Why not London? And not for a corporation, but for us fans. Plus let us know on IORR so I can book annual leave firstgrinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 20:49 by desertblues68.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 6, 2016 20:32

Cristiano Radtke
Here's the complete list of the Grammy nominations, and there's no Stones on it.

[www.grammy.com]

"Eligibility Period: October 1 through September 30.
• Recordings must be commercially released, nationally distributed and available from any date within the eligibility period
through at least the date of the current year’s voting deadline (final ballot)."

This is from a couple years ago, believe the deadlines are still accurate.
Bet they'll be there next year...

Date: December 6, 2016 20:32

laertisflash
"Now if they would just get the message and do a blues/R&B tour, where they just sit down like old blues men and play".

Bam, I don't think public's message is the same as for tours. I'm sure that millions people still want to hear JJF and Gimme Shelter, when they are going to see the Stones live. I could't imagine a comletaly blues set list. But 3-4 songs from BL would be fine to me.

Yes and they could do it "In the round" middle of the arena...and yes they could still do a few rock and roll tunes.

Date: December 6, 2016 20:37

Just think of all the other great blues and country tunes they have done over the years

A Blues/Country Tour would be a great thing to see. Jagger on the harp, Ronnie on the slide and pedal steel...throw in Clapton on a few songs

Kinda makes your sticker peck up if ya know what I mean!

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: December 6, 2016 20:38

desertblues68
JohnnyBGoode

Why nothe Lon done? And not for a corporation, but us fansite. Plush let us know on IORR so I can book annual leave firstgrinning smiley

Yes! It can be like a Blues/Licks Hybrid.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 6, 2016 21:19

MisterDDDD
Cristiano Radtke

[www.grammy.com]

• Recordings must be commercially released, nationally distributed and available from any date within the eligibility period
through at least the date of the current year’s voting deadline (final ballot)."

I've missed that, thanks for the clarification. thumbs up

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: December 6, 2016 22:24

I know what you mean, jumpontopofmebaby...

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: December 6, 2016 22:49

Cristiano Radtke
MisterDDDD
Cristiano Radtke

[www.grammy.com]

I've missed that, thanks for the clarification. thumbs up

and being that the grammys are based on sales, they'll have a whole year
to tally the score for next year. probably one of the reasons why they released it when they did.

Re: Stones at number One
Date: December 6, 2016 23:05

Who cares Grammy?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 6, 2016 23:07

Yeah forget the Grammy
...be better ta give Grandma a copy of B&L and loosen her up a bit ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 6, 2016 23:19

Rockman
Yeah forget the Grammy
...be better ta give Grandma a copy of B&L and loosen her up a bit ....

thumbs up hot smiley

The Grandparents over here love it aged 78 hahahaha!!!

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-06 23:20 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 6, 2016 23:23

HHHHaaaaaaaa .... that's good Rip.....should be more of it ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 7, 2016 00:31

Rockman
HHHHaaaaaaaa .... that's good Rip.....should be more of it ...

smileys with beer

Date: December 7, 2016 00:57

They are kind of a ripe band so they should do ripe music.
Im glad they did this, been a long time comin.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 7, 2016 02:34

Final U.S projections are in:

1. The Hamilton Mixtape 190-200k
2. The Weeknd 150-155k
3. The Rolling Stones 120-125k
4. Pentatonix 116-121k
5. Childish Gambino 110-115k

Some numbers can change but that's it.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 7, 2016 04:24

James Kirk

This. Exactly this.

They can't impress young people with dance stuff like Rain Fell Down and power ballads like Streets Of Love anyway, and older fans like me are usually put off by that kind of material which sounds plastic, but surely not fantastic.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 32

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home