Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: Clapton to play NY and LA
Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: November 28, 2016 20:38

Just announced. Yes!!!

Re: OT: Clapton to play NY and LA
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 28, 2016 21:49

Just two gigs?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 28, 2016 22:12

it's gonna be 4 shows (2x NYC, 2X LA)- see: [www.whereseric.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 28, 2016 22:18

Not that I care, cause Eric's great and I'd like him to continue, but what's been with the constant "I think this is it" the last 5 years or so? Is it just to sell tickets? Is there a hint of truth to it and he just keeps being well enough to keep playing? Was just having a chat with my dad about how it would be really weird if Ginger outlived the other two in Cream (cause my father is under the impression Eric is sicker than he lets on and it'll be like a Leonard Cohen/David Bowie sudden situation), so its interesting that Eric keeps getting out there. I'm happy its happening, but I'm just curious why he keeps doing these one or two shows a year and basically implying they're his last.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 28, 2016 22:24

If the price is right I'll go. Last time I saw him was in 83' or 84' at the Jones Beach Theatre, NY. Awesome show!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 28, 2016 22:33

RollingFreak
Not that I care, cause Eric's great and I'd like him to continue, but what's been with the constant "I think this is it" the last 5 years or so? Is it just to sell tickets? Is there a hint of truth to it and he just keeps being well enough to keep playing? ...

Some sort of neurological issue affecting his hands, I believe. Glad he can still play.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 28, 2016 23:11

SomeTorontoGirl
RollingFreak
Not that I care, cause Eric's great and I'd like him to continue, but what's been with the constant "I think this is it" the last 5 years or so? Is it just to sell tickets? Is there a hint of truth to it and he just keeps being well enough to keep playing? ...

Some sort of neurological issue affecting his hands, I believe. Glad he can still play.

Yeah, I thought it was arthritis or something. I guess he just keeps feeling fine enough to play each year, which again is fine by me. The man's a legend. I just feel the last 5 years all he's been saying is "this is it" only for him to come back for a few more dates, usually ONLY NY, London and maybe LA like he's doing here. After Leon Russell died I was watching Concert For Bangladesh and was thinking "damn, I hope Eric's not the next to go." Gets uncertain with all these old guys. Amazing that only he, Dylan and Ringo are left from the main guys in that show.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 28, 2016 23:12

On a more positive note, Eric has again proved his acumen as a collector of Art.
In 2001 he purchased some works by the German artist Gerhard Richter for $3.2 million.
These have now been sold....for around $90 million.
He does of course give plenty of support to his Crossroads charity.
Music isn't the be all and everything in his life. I'm sure the days of long concert tours are well behind him now.
I'ts a gradual fade out.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 28, 2016 23:13

Nice, I could use a nap.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 28, 2016 23:23

Abstract Painting 726 -- Gerhard Richter 1990

LURV Richters work ........ jlowe do you know what works Clapton owned/sold ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: November 28, 2016 23:31

Prices for MSG are $75.00 - $500.00

Prices for LA are $60.00 - $950.00

Getting into Stones territory pricing. Probably VIP stuff included.

Date: November 28, 2016 23:41

mosthigh

Geeeeez, that's rich! There's FOUR Stones, only one of him...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 28, 2016 23:45

mosthigh

Barf.

I've seen Clapton many times, and kind of want to see him again, but those prices are nauseating.
There's no way I'll pay over $100, and there's no way I'll settle for crappy seats...gonna have to think this one through.
Probably not gonna be able to make it happen though, and it certainly won't be the end of the world if I don't.
I'll test the waters with the Chase card presale, but the adrenaline, excitement, and urge to see him again just isn't there.
$950?!!! eye popping smiley thumbs down

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 29, 2016 00:14

I wouldnt be surprised if they add 1 more show to both LA & NY.
They will probably sell these out then add the additional nights.
MSG has the 18th and 21st available.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 29, 2016 00:19

Rockman

LURV Richters work ........ jlowe do you know what works Clapton owned/sold ???

Here goes:
Abstraktes Bild series.
809-1
809-2
809-4

All three sold at different auctions in 2012, 2013, 2016.

Mick is supposed to be a keen collector of Art, though I'm not sure what his preferences are...or whether he buys and sells in the way Eric does.

By the way the last Richter work wad described by the Auctioneer as 'a masterpiece of calculated chaos'.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: November 29, 2016 00:22

SomeTorontoGirl
mosthigh

Geeeeez, that's rich! There's FOUR Stones, only one of him...

That's your criteria for how much to pay for a concert? The number of musicians on a stage? Wow, you must be completely priced out of range at a Ringo and his All Star Band show.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 29, 2016 01:15

Rockman

thumbs up nice

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 29, 2016 01:19

Abstract Painting 809-4 -- Gerhard Richter

Very interesting thanks jlowe

ROCKMAN

Date: November 29, 2016 01:19

roller99
That's your criteria for how much to pay for a concert? The number of musicians on a stage? Wow, you must be completely priced out of range at a Ringo and his All Star Band show.

No, that's my sense of humour. They're fun. You should get one!

(Correcting worst typo ever.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-30 22:37 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 29, 2016 01:27

Hopefully prices north of $500 are for some sort of package. If so then maybe I can get a half-way decent seat for about $350.

Clapton is not that exciting to look at, for me it's all about his playing, so If I'm at the opposite end lowers or the lower part of the uppers near the stage, I'm fine, especially with the sound improvements made to the Forum when they re-modeled it.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 29, 2016 01:55

Rockman

Abstract Painting 809-4 -- Gerhard Richter

Very interesting thanks jlowe

Nice, I like this painting, and the girl hooding it up.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: November 29, 2016 04:03

Beautiful

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 29, 2016 18:07

Jimmie Vaughan is guesting, which is great,, I think, along with Gary Clark. Eric seems to be sparked by other musicians onstage.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 29, 2016 18:27

I sure hope i can catch this show with ole Slowhand

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: November 30, 2016 05:13

He can still play but is a complete bore in concert.

If you want to complain about set lists, start here.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: November 30, 2016 05:32

Midnight Toker
He can still play but is a complete bore in concert.

If you want to complain about set lists, start here.

What a terrible thing to say, dont you know this man is a living legend? He is one of the most talented players ever, you must have no taste in music, you dont deserve him.... and other similar type of things that have been said to me when I said the same you did. I agree with you 110%. Clapton bores me worse the the daylight.

I have seen him several times over the last 30-40 years and it has been lame every time. His shows make me feel the opposite of what a Stones show does. From the time back in the day when he sent some lady out to do the encore (wtf?) to the most recent time (5-6 years ago) when I was given free tickets and took a buddy of mine with me... and when they pulled out chairs and sat down at the front of the stage in a 18,000 seat arena to do an acoustic thing we walked up for a beer, rolling our eyes as we went... we finished the beers and walked out.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 30, 2016 06:32

I've seen Eric about 7 or 8 times. He's usually, but not always, better when spurred on by other top performers. The best shows were a great show on a mid-70s solo tour, when he was reportedly on some nights and off some, the '07 Crossroads concert, when Winwood and Trucks spurred him to some fine playing, and the Cream reunion show.

I saw 2 or 3 arena shows in the '90's and '00's that were mediocre.

I also saw a shed show in the '80's when I swear he phoned in the concert from Las Vegas.

The one time I saw him with peers when he didn't step it up was the Howling for Hubert show with Keith and others at the Apollo in 2012. He was just ok.

I'd go see this show if I were in town. But I won't travel for it.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: November 30, 2016 07:02

bam
I've seen Eric about 7 or 8 times. He's usually, but not always, better when spurred on by other top performers. The best shows were a great show on a mid-70s solo tour, when he was reportedly on some nights and off some, the '07 Crossroads concert, when Winwood and Trucks spurred him to some fine playing, and the Cream reunion show.

I saw 2 or 3 arena shows in the '90's and '00's that were mediocre.

I also saw a shed show in the '80's when I swear he phoned in the concert from Las Vegas.

The one time I saw him with peers when he didn't step it up was the Howling for Hubert show with Keith and others at the Apollo in 2012. He was just ok.

I'd go see this show if I were in town. But I won't travel for it.

grinning smiley I love that description... lol... and I will unabashedly be storing that for future use smiling smiley

And also I think you probably perfectly describe this great artist... which is why I happily and willingly bashed on myself for me having such a dismal opinion of his live shows. I think I just missed the boat... I saw all the wrong tours.

There are some other artist whom many many people love, but I saw them and they sucked live... but I usually bite my tongue fingers and dont say much, but Clapton is a legend... he should have been better at my shows.... and I am kind of sad about that. I would love to say he was great...

But on the contrary I guess I have lucked out massively with all of my Stones shows. I have heard tales of people seeing some bad Stones shows... but over my 30-40 Stones shows they have all been crazy good... I mean they were really really great concerts, all of them, so good, so much fun. Lucky me smiling smiley

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 30, 2016 07:34

Last time I saw him, it was at Royal Alber Hall, and the other musicians onstage with him really added a dimension to the show that would have been absent without those particular musicians (Derek Trucks, Doyle Bramhall and, later, Robert Cray among others). Hell of a show.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 30, 2016 13:37

I was at the Howling for Hubert and IMHO Slowhand had some tastee solos hot smiley

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2124
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home