Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT: Clapton to play NY and LA
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 20, 2017 19:22

triceratops
@Hairball
Thanks for the full MSG show link!!
Looks like Lisa Fisher singing backup! nahhh just joking but she looks it.

During the Periscope feed I actually thought I saw Ginger Baker on drums on one of the video screens.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 20, 2017 21:50

The Sicilian
triceratops
@Hairball

During the Periscope feed I actually thought I saw Ginger Baker on drums on one of the video screens.

yes that is true. I don't know if you have ever been to a concert before but the band will sometimes show some "history" shots of the band.

Date: March 20, 2017 23:43

Wonder why he didn't do a few dates in Chicago?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 21, 2017 00:32

jumpontopofmebaby

He should do a weeks gigs at one of Chicago's smaller venues; get some young blues players on stage and any of the old guard still alive, as guests.
Recorded for a TV and DVD documentary....a Blues documentary rather than merely a Clapton one.
Time is running out.

Date: March 21, 2017 01:00

jumpontopofmebaby

Too much violent crime.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 21, 2017 01:01

Here in MSG, ready for Eric and Jimmy Vaughn as warm up.

Date: March 21, 2017 01:02

Cooltoplady
The Sicilian
triceratops
@Hairball

yes that is true. I don't know if you have ever been to a concert before but the band will sometimes show some "history" shots of the band.

I've been to many shows since the mid 70's. In the periscope feed, the drummer looked quite old and resembled Baker. It could have been a flashback.

Date: March 21, 2017 03:09

Gary Clark fantastic. Just waiting for Eric

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: March 21, 2017 05:14

The Sicilian
Cooltoplady
The Sicilian
triceratops
@Hairball

I've been to many shows since the mid 70's. In the periscope feed, the drummer looked quite old and resembled Baker. It could have been a flashback.

Must've been a flashback. No "history" shots during the show. The drummer was actually Steve Gadd.

Crackin' good late-period Clapton show, by the way. cool smiley

Date: March 21, 2017 06:28

Great concert. Jimmy Vaughn, Gary Clark and Eric

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 21, 2017 07:14

Went to both shows.

EC's still got it, imo. My favorites were Badge, Driftin' Blues, and Somebody's Knockin'.

I'm not thrilled with Gary Clark, Jr, have seen him before but not doing a whole set.
He had some moments. Talented guitarist, certainly.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 21, 2017 10:41

Man, that's a long show. I am not sure I can sit through a 4 hour show in a jet lagged condition. How much will I be kicking myself if I skip Jimmy Vaughn, or sneak out for a quick meal during Gary Clarke Jr? Was the place full for the entire show?

Date: March 21, 2017 11:02

Midway through Gary Clark it was filled.

Just a bit disappointing that people sit down during the whole show!!!

Date: March 21, 2017 16:45

Not me, I stood up some, for two numbers, anyway, after asking the people behind me if it was okay.
I was one of the only ones who did, if not the only one as far as I could see in the crowd.

Show too long, yes. Don't kick yourself much, drb.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 21, 2017 18:46

mtaylor
Midway through Gary Clark it was filled.

Just a bit disappointing that people sit down during the whole show!!!

Perhaps its coz they are too old to stand up for long periods.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: March 21, 2017 18:56

drbryant
Man, that's a long show. I am not sure I can sit through a 4 hour show in a jet lagged condition. How much will I be kicking myself if I skip Jimmy Vaughn, or sneak out for a quick meal during Gary Clarke Jr? Was the place full for the entire show?

I don't think you'll kick yourself. I enjoyed both, but they aren't Clapton. The thing is that Eric only plays for about 1 hour 20 minutes. If you just see him you might feel the show was too short. The show length makes more sense when you see all three acts together.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: March 21, 2017 20:53

lamemodem2
drbryant

I don't think you'll kick yourself. I enjoyed both, but they aren't Clapton. The thing is that Eric only plays for about 1 hour 20 minutes. If you just see him you might feel the show was too short. The show length makes more sense when you see all three acts together.

I went Sunday night. I agree that it makes sense to see all three. Both opening acts are worth seeing. And there is a solid 15 minute break between each act which is enough to get out of your seat and stretch your legs.

I thought it was a really well put together package of three complementary acts. My wife and I were talking about how that used to happen all the time in the 70s but not so much anymore.

Definitely see all three!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 21, 2017 21:31

I went to last nights show (Monday). I thought it was pretty good. I could have done with more Jimmy Vaughn and less Gary Clark. I thought Jimmy's set with the horns was just groovin'. Never been that impressed with Clark.

I thought EC put on a pretty good show. Highlights for me were Sheriff and Before You Accuse Me. Sheriff was hot but then the acoustic set started and for me that was a bit of a momentum killer. I can't speak for Sunday's crowd but last night, Monday, seemed to be very engaged and enthusiastic.

Folks going to LA shows this weekend should be in for a great time!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 22, 2017 12:30

1cdog
I went to last nights show (Monday). I thought it was pretty good. I could have done with more Jimmy Vaughn and less Gary Clark. I thought Jimmy's set with the horns was just groovin'. Never been that impressed with Clark.

I thought EC put on a pretty good show. Highlights for me were Sheriff and Before You Accuse Me. Sheriff was hot but then the acoustic set started and for me that was a bit of a momentum killer. I can't speak for Sunday's crowd but last night, Monday, seemed to be very engaged and enthusiastic.

Folks going to LA shows this weekend should be in for a great time!
Could I ask you how long was the acoustic set ? (more like snooze set) EC signature sound is electric not that tears in heaven acoustic .

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: March 22, 2017 15:38

The acoustic set is about 20 minutes. Driftin', Nobody Knows You..., Tears, Layla.

The only difference between Sunday and Monday was he rearranged the setlist order, but the songs remained the same.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 22, 2017 18:56

mrsoandso
The acoustic set is about 20 minutes. Driftin', Nobody Knows You..., Tears, Layla.

The only difference between Sunday and Monday was he rearranged the setlist order, but the songs remained the same.
Thanks for the info and EC is my most favorite guitar slinger of all time , nobody can play the 12 bar blues better than Slowhand can and just plain out wail on the six string like he invented the instrument himself .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-23 12:13 by TheGreek.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 22, 2017 20:08

A Dime member review :

"I left the show wondering if the 72 year old EC should remain "retired".

Same tired old greatest hits set list he's been milking for the past 25 years - he hasn't written anything new since Tears in Heaven (whose underlying incident stole the life out of him, as it would to any parent, I couldn't imagine living through that kind of tragedy). Every song neatly tailored to 5-6 minutes, he just knocked them out, bang, bang bang one after the other with little pause between. Nothing really stellar in terms of extended solos, and especially nothing that he hasn't done repeatedly for the past 25 years. The same set list that he used to play for a full two hour show he's condensed into an hour and twenty minutes with very little emotional input (musically speaking) it was a pretty milk toast bland and safe show for a tour opener that took no risks at all. Of course in his current band configuration there is no other guitar player for him to play off against, as was with Bramhall, etc. and that too makes for a lot of the difference as musicians truly feed off of each other.

Gary Clark, Jr. killed. His set was full of life. I last saw him live three years ago at Jazz Fest in New Orleans where he was clearly the pleasant unexpected surprise of day. He did not disappoint last night either. Keep your eye on him, he is this generations equivalent of Buddy Guy, a real entertainer. Noteworthy was his tribute to Chuck Berry, playing a song of his own that you would have sworn Chuck wrote.

JV's set was too short ... but well played, he remains one of the most under-rated musicians of his time.

Just my $0.02 review of the show, take it or leave it"

Taperadvocate

Date: March 24, 2017 04:06

Don't agree at all. Depends on your expectations, I guess.
I was not disappointed with his playing or singing, though I could have used a longer set from EC.

But hey...

Now that you mention it, when Gary Clark, Jr said he was playing a song inspired by Chuck B, I asked my seatmate, only a little tongue in cheek, "Aren't they all?"

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: March 24, 2017 04:08

On your quote from a random attendee, dcba, nothing personal:

Don't agree at all. Depends on your expectations, I guess.
I was not disappointed with EC's playing or singing, though I could have used a longer set from him.

But hey...

Now that you mention it, when Gary Clark, Jr said he was playing a song inspired by Chuck B, I asked my seatmate, only a little tongue in cheek, "Aren't they all?"

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 24, 2017 04:33

A Dime member
"he hasn't written anything new since Tears in Heaven"

This is not true, which makes one question the validity of the above reviewer's opinion on anything related to Eric Clapton.

A Dime member
"Just my $0.02 review of the show, take it or leave it"

Thanks, I'll leave it.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 24, 2017 14:45

I can see that viewpoint that he should stay retired. Honestly, its why I never go out of my way to see him. Love Eric, who doesn't. But live, he seems so hit or miss. And it seems most of the time its just him on stage playing away. Which is fun, but it can get tedious and boring, and in videos I've seen it often seems emotionless. Haven't seen him solo, but I saw him with Cream, and both my dad and I who are huge fans walked away going "that was kinda boring." Not that they were just up there for a paycheck, but it wasn't explosive in any way. I'm glad I saw Clapton in some incarnation, but its hardly a top concert of mine. Solo he seems very much the same way, and its always usually extremely expensive. But its only on those rare occasions does he come out like The Band's Last Waltz and really come to play. And like its said, same set usually.

I feel to me the tour to hit him was the Clapton/Winwood tour. That was very different and seemed to invigorate him with a really great setlist. That was a tour I missed and regret and I would see now. Or if he was playing with guests that really make him play better. Like his Guitarfests or whatever. Bring out some legends and thats a fun show. But Eric solo has never had much appeal to me, even though I love the guy and would love to see it. I don't he brings the energy it needs though.

Date: March 24, 2017 15:01

I was at the Winwood/Clapton tour, great, and one of the Guitarfests, excellent, and several solo shows, one with Robert Cray with him after he did a guest spot.

The only time I was disappointed is when he played with Jeff Beck after touring a lot. While J Beck
was fine, I did think Eric was more in rote mode. I didn't think the two clicked during the show. I asked this guy
behind me who had seen him quite a bit during this period what was up, and he said Eric was tired. Or maybe I was.

I am glad I've seen him whenever I could.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-24 15:05 by angee.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 24, 2017 18:37

I've seen him at least a dozen times (or more) since the early '80's and have never been bored. Some shows have been better than others certainly, but none have been boring.
From the ARMS benefit when he was the 'master of ceremonies', to many solo shows, to his show with Steve Winwood - always something memorable.
I suppose it depends on what you expect at a concert, but these aren't shows based around special effects, stage design, bells and whistles, etc.
It's all about musicianship, and if you're interested in guitar playing in any way, hard to imagine being bored at a Clapton show.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 24, 2017 18:59

RollingFreak
I can see that viewpoint that he should stay retired. Honestly, its why I never go out of my way to see him. Love Eric, who doesn't. But live, he seems so hit or miss. And it seems most of the time its just him on stage playing away. Which is fun, but it can get tedious and boring, and in videos I've seen it often seems emotionless. Haven't seen him solo, but I saw him with Cream, and both my dad and I who are huge fans walked away going "that was kinda boring." Not that they were just up there for a paycheck, but it wasn't explosive in any way. I'm glad I saw Clapton in some incarnation, but its hardly a top concert of mine. Solo he seems very much the same way, and its always usually extremely expensive. But its only on those rare occasions does he come out like The Band's Last Waltz and really come to play. And like its said, same set usually.

I feel to me the tour to hit him was the Clapton/Winwood tour. That was very different and seemed to invigorate him with a really great setlist. That was a tour I missed and regret and I would see now. Or if he was playing with guests that really make him play better. Like his Guitarfests or whatever. Bring out some legends and thats a fun show. But Eric solo has never had much appeal to me, even though I love the guy and would love to see it. I don't he brings the energy it needs though.

I've seen Eric so many times i have lost count and he always delivers, never been bored once. He is the most consistent player singer i have ever witnessed. I have no idea what you are on about RollingFreak. Sure everyone has an off day but Clapton doesn't have many.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: March 24, 2017 21:58

MSG show was boring man

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home