Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Sympathy For The Devil live 1989 - today
Date: November 25, 2016 19:19

My favourite versions are still the original and the Rock'n'Roll Circus-version smiling smiley

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: November 25, 2016 19:36

What I don't like about the recent versions is that Keith and Ron only are playing guitar on the chorus and -so it seems- are standing and waiting in the back, doing nothing the rest of the song, until Keith is trying to do a not so great solo.
I don't remember it was always played like this.

Date: November 25, 2016 20:01

GJV
What I don't like about the recent versions is that Keith and Ron only are playing guitar on the chorus and -so it seems- are standing and waiting in the back, doing nothing the rest of the song, until Keith is trying to do a not so great solo.

That's only a description of what's happening before the first chorus. After that, Keith alternates between playing some of the bass lines and some of the Ya Ya's riffs - inconsistently..

Date: November 25, 2016 20:25

DandelionPowderman
GJV

That's only a description of what's happening before the first chorus. After that, Keith alternates between playing some of the bass lines and some of the Ya Ya's riffs - inconsistently..

But the point of what GJV is saying is what bothers me more than anything about post 89 performances. that Keith and Ron's guitars are very much random, and at will. They are not needed. They play/ they don't play - it really matters very little.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 25, 2016 20:30

It's simple, they systematically ruined it. It peaked on Ya Ya's and was acceptable on Love you Live, but since then it has gradually lost any of its dangerousness and today we find it mid set, kicked off with a jaded drum loop, Chuck plinking and plonking and injecting more cheese than a cheesy cheese shop in Bavaria. The key guitar riff has just about gone, those beautiful hammer ons and offs that syncopated it beautifully are now replaced with an occasional power chord from Keith and Ronnie half heartedly trying to mimic the original riff - usually mixed so low down its almost inaudible.

Jagger no longer sneers his words, he isn't goading us with the phrasing any more, just a monologue, everything is mixed with different levels from the early live versions...it might be named Sympathy for the Levels these days. It's about as satanic and menacing as the Birdy Song!

It's their song, they can do what they want with it and it will always go down well at live shows and I admit, I was at Glastonbury and I enjoyed it, but it's almost a different song these days. As someone pointed out, kind of karaoke/pantomime. But to be honest, how many of the songs these days retain that rare 'Stones' feel and sound ....not many. Things have evolved, it was always going to happen and we should enjoy what we can while we can, but any comparisons to earlier performances should be avoided as they are likely to disappoint.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: November 25, 2016 20:43

DandelionPowderman
GJV

I don't think it's ONLY what is happening before the first chorus, but I hope I'm wrong.

When you're watching a concert you see them both after the first chorus going back and waiting for the next chorus, etc.. etc.. at least so it seems to me.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: November 25, 2016 20:58

On 89-90, and 94-95 tour, the bassdrum is also pre-programmed as the percussions are. On Flashpoint they mixed that out with only Charlie's four on the floor bassdrum beat audible, but you can certainly hear it in videoclips and other recordings from those tours.

Would be cool if he played it like he did on record. That's an intricate drum pattern. I think he did it on Hyde Park '69.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 25, 2016 21:00

crumbling_mice
It's simple, they systematically ruined it. It peaked on Ya Ya's and was acceptable on Love you Live, but since then it has gradually lost any of its dangerousness and today we find it mid set, kicked off with a jaded drum loop, Chuck plinking and plonking and injecting more cheese than a cheesy cheese shop in Bavaria.

That is fantastic!!!!!!!!!

Date: November 25, 2016 21:09

audun-eg
On 89-90, and 94-95 tour, the bassdrum is also pre-programmed as the percussions are. On Flashpoint they mixed that out with only Charlie's four on the floor bassdrum beat audible, but you can certainly hear it in videoclips and other recordings from those tours.

Would be cool if he played it like he did on record. That's an intricate drum pattern. I think he did it on Hyde Park '69.

Listened to 2 versions of it from the 89/90 tours and don't hear a "pre-programmed" or a programmed bass drum at all, just lots of tinkly clinks from various percussion all the way through that sounds like tinnitus. A programmed conga loop was added to it in 1994.

Seems that Charlie played a 4 beat for the STEEL WHEELS tour but changed it for the URBAN JUNGLE tour, at least on the SEVENTH OF JULY boot.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 25, 2016 21:18

crumbling_mice
It's simple, they systematically ruined it. It peaked on Ya Ya's and was acceptable on Love you Live, but since then it has gradually lost any of its dangerousness and today we find it mid set, kicked off with a jaded drum loop, Chuck plinking and plonking and injecting more cheese than a cheesy cheese shop in Bavaria. The key guitar riff has just about gone, those beautiful hammer ons and offs that syncopated it beautifully are now replaced with an occasional power chord from Keith and Ronnie half heartedly trying to mimic the original riff - usually mixed so low down its almost inaudible.

Jagger no longer sneers his words, he isn't goading us with the phrasing any more, just a monologue, everything is mixed with different levels from the early live versions...it might be named Sympathy for the Levels these days. It's about as satanic and menacing as the Birdy Song!

It's their song, they can do what they want with it and it will always go down well at live shows and I admit, I was at Glastonbury and I enjoyed it, but it's almost a different song these days. As someone pointed out, kind of karaoke/pantomime. But to be honest, how many of the songs these days retain that rare 'Stones' feel and sound ....not many. Things have evolved, it was always going to happen and we should enjoy what we can while we can, but any comparisons to earlier performances should be avoided as they are likely to disappoint.
thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: November 25, 2016 21:18

Yes, it's not consistent, and I guess for the official releases the programmed bassdrum is mixed down. Anyway it's clearly not Charlie's bassdrum on most of the clips from 94-95. He has never played like that, and the bassdrum sound is also somewhat different on that song, although very possibly sampled from Charlie's bassdrum.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 25, 2016 21:25

GasLightStreet
HMS
I like recent versions better than the earlier versions of the 60s & 70s. It´a show-highlight and no way it´s a bathroom-break-song. Listen for example to the great version on SAL, if somebody wants to leave for a bathroom-break he must be seriously ill. And there were even a couple of better versions in 2012-16. Havana is extraordinary, a real treat.
Never heard or seen a weak version.
But Mick´s cloak is awful, somebody should burn it.

No one here has ever accused you of having a brain.

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 25, 2016 21:30

DandelionPowderman
My favourite versions are still the original and the Rock'n'Roll Circus-version smiling smiley

Funny, my favourites are the original, GYYYO and Circus-versions. Good to see that there are people here with not only wealth, but also lots of taste!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: November 26, 2016 15:24

Favorite live versions would have to be Ya Ya's, followed by Love You Live. Even though I was appalled that they wold use a loop, it was still thrilling to hear it after all those years on the Steel Wheels Tour in 1989. Sadly, since then it's become thread-bare with over-use. Although I must admit that for recent modern versions, the one on Hyde Park Live 2013 ain't too bad....

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 26, 2016 19:36

I have a different opinion than most of you. I think the post-2012 Sympathy versions are the best since the 70s - if Keef has a good night and plays a solid solo, which is not always the case. But if he does it's fantastic.

What's really great about the post-2012 versions is how it builds up more and more over the song. It creates a magical mystic atmosphere. First you hear just the drumloop, then Charlie kicks in, then Chuck, then the backing vocals. It gets bigger and bigger until it explodes in the chorus. I mean it REALLY explodes. Keiths guitar is sooo fckn' loud and every time he hits this H-chords it's like the start of a rocket. You can't hear that on Havana Moon 'cause the guitars are mixed low but just listen to any recent Sympathy version on youtube and you will know what I mean. Someone complained that Keith and Ronnie do not play during the verses and they are not relevant. Well, actually guitars aren't really relevant for Sympathy - in the studio version the only guitar is the one that plays the solo. But due to the retention during the verses, the chorus sounds really big and explosive.
IMHO on the '89 till 2003 versions the song already reached its highest energy level during the first chorus. And it didn't build up too much from that. But hey are great anyway, because of the stage show. Mick is standing on a seperate stage which quite high. So he was like god singing from above.
I think that was necessary because they did not have screens as big as we have not, so they needed a big production. Today it's less show, it's more about the music and that gives it a more intimate atmosphere.

I think the reason why most people prefer several different Sympathy versions from the past is that they grew up with them.
Some people who heard the Ya-Yas version first were absolutely blown away by it and were quite disappointed when they heard the original studio version.
Some people had their first Stones show during the '89 tour. And of course Symphaty was one of the highlights. So they have great memories of it. So no version in the future can keep up to the version they heard first.
As we grow older, we are not as excited about some things anymore as when we were young. And so we love to think about our memories, and the more we think about them, the greater they get. That's the reason.
I bet some kids which hear Sympathy at the current concerts will remember that for the rest of their lives. No Sympathy version they hear in the future will be as good as their first-time experience.

Date: November 26, 2016 19:44

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-26 19:45 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 26, 2016 20:02

StonedRambler
I have a different opinion than most of you. I think the post-2012 Sympathy versions are the best since the 70s - if Keef has a good night and plays a solid solo, which is not always the case. But if he does it's fantastic.

What's really great about the post-2012 versions is how it builds up more and more over the song. It creates a magical mystic atmosphere. First you hear just the drumloop, then Charlie kicks in, then Chuck, then the backing vocals. It gets bigger and bigger until it explodes in the chorus. I mean it REALLY explodes. Keiths guitar is sooo fckn' loud and every time he hits this H-chords it's like the start of a rocket. You can't hear that on Havana Moon 'cause the guitars are mixed low but just listen to any recent Sympathy version on youtube and you will know what I mean. Someone complained that Keith and Ronnie do not play during the verses and they are not relevant. Well, actually guitars aren't really relevant for Sympathy - in the studio version the only guitar is the one that plays the solo. But due to the retention during the verses, the chorus sounds really big and explosive.
IMHO on the '89 till 2003 versions the song already reached its highest energy level during the first chorus. And it didn't build up too much from that. But hey are great anyway, because of the stage show. Mick is standing on a seperate stage which quite high. So he was like god singing from above.
I think that was necessary because they did not have screens as big as we have not, so they needed a big production. Today it's less show, it's more about the music and that gives it a more intimate atmosphere.

I think the reason why most people prefer several different Sympathy versions from the past is that they grew up with them.
Some people who heard the Ya-Yas version first were absolutely blown away by it and were quite disappointed when they heard the original studio version.
Some people had their first Stones show during the '89 tour. And of course Symphaty was one of the highlights. So they have great memories of it. So no version in the future can keep up to the version they heard first.
As we grow older, we are not as excited about some things anymore as when we were young. And so we love to think about our memories, and the more we think about them, the greater they get. That's the reason.
I bet some kids which hear Sympathy at the current concerts will remember that for the rest of their lives. No Sympathy version they hear in the future will be as good as their first-time experience.

thumbs up

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 26, 2016 21:24

GasLightStreet
crumbling_mice
It's simple, they systematically ruined it. It peaked on Ya Ya's and was acceptable on Love you Live, but since then it has gradually lost any of its dangerousness and today we find it mid set, kicked off with a jaded drum loop, Chuck plinking and plonking and injecting more cheese than a cheesy cheese shop in Bavaria.

That is fantastic!!!!!!!!!

they reached the bottom at Rome 2007, where Chuck got to play a solo (!!) on that number.
That spoiled an otherwise very enjoyable concert.

Date: November 27, 2016 01:33

video: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-27 01:34 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: November 27, 2016 01:34

video: [youtu.be]

Date: November 27, 2016 20:18

Neither one of those videos work.

Date: November 27, 2016 23:10

mtaylor
60'ies an 70'ies is a rock band version. Later on is A Las Vegas band version

The Love Y Live version is all bells and whistles to me. They push the original to the extreme without adding any musical creativity. That never really changed, till date, imo.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 28, 2016 02:45

TheflyingDutchman
mtaylor

The Love Y Live version is all bells and whistles to me. They push the original to the extreme without adding any musical creativity. That never really changed, till date, imo.

Maybe not too much musical creativity, but still a "guitar band" with lots of interaction between the guitars. Drums on GYYYO also amazingly good (no drum machine).

Nowadays, it is "plastic" - that is focus on drum machines, red lights, running around in a hat / dress, fake keyboard sound, screaming horrible huhuhu (sorry Mick, your voice is not good enough for that anymore) etc.

If Keith can't play the guitar anymore (he surely could and I am not blaming him if his fingers are bad), then Ronnie should play. That was the trademark of the song in MHO.

Date: November 28, 2016 12:27

TheflyingDutchman
mtaylor

I think they did. I even prefer the 1975 versions and thats thanks to Mick who sang it better ( he is underrated on that tour) and thanks to Ollie and also Billy.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 28, 2016 12:35

liddas
Devil rests in peace since 1975 (was it played at all in 1976?).

Only fond memory I have of a modern versions takes me back to Werchter 2007. Devil was the encore. Took the chance to start walking towards the rear of the venue so that I could be closer to the exit.

At the very end of the field there were was a beautiful young black girl - 20 years old or so - dancing, all alone, with her eyes closed. Her moves were so sensual that somehow there and then that stupid Devil loop started making sense!!!

C

It was played at least once at the 6 night Earls Court stand in 76. I saw it, with elephants on stage. See my post from last week.

Date: November 28, 2016 14:42

Redhotcarpet
TheflyingDutchman
mtaylor

I think they did. I even prefer the 1975 versions and thats thanks to Mick who sang it better ( he is underrated on that tour) and thanks to Ollie and also Billy.

Fair enough. I myself like the organized lead/ rhythm guitar approach better. Its less chaotic to my ears.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: November 28, 2016 15:57

At least the 1975-76 versions still had fire and life to them, even if they tended to lean lean towards the chaotic. Steel Wheels versions and some Voodoo Lounge versions still had plenty of life to them, and there was the thrill of hearing them revive a classic not heard in years. Alas, I feel it was a mistake to trot it out on virtually every tour since then and let it become as worn out as it is now.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 28, 2016 19:23

Great thread here, really fun to read. Those folks mentioning the drums are really onto it. The studio original, with that fabulous samba and piano combo, translated to a funky, busy beat on stage in '69 and the very famous Ya Ya's version. It is raw and completely organic, the old fashioned phenomenon of a band creatively adapting a studio song to stage with a mere five musicians all playing at the same time. Charlie's excellent, busy drum beat makes up for the lack of congas.

In 1989 and thereafter, there is no busy beat, just a four-on-the-floor disco kick-heavy beat and a backing track of a samba percussion section. It has a VERY different feel, and becomes a different song. Sixteen notes on the hats or not, Charlie Watts is kind of slogging his way through. And of course Mick Jagger has not given the kind of vocal performance that song deserves since the 70's. I love the Love You Live version, for example, for the live percussion section and for Mick Jagger's totally bonkers vocal performance, up a register right from the start. From '89 and after, it sounds more like Mick Jagger is reciting the lyrics as poetry from the other end of a gymnasium. As do many other songs.

That said, a couple of those post-'89 versions have some nice energy, as is stated many times above, but it really has become a different beast, and one must have different expectations these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-28 19:25 by Tate.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: November 28, 2016 20:16

HonkeyTonkFlash
At least the 1975-76 versions still had fire and life to them, even if they tended to lean lean towards the chaotic. Steel Wheels versions and some Voodoo Lounge versions still had plenty of life to them, and there was the thrill of hearing them revive a classic not heard in years. Alas, I feel it was a mistake to trot it out on virtually every tour since then and let it become as worn out as it is now.

Spot on HonkyTonk Flash. I, for one really like the return of Sympathy on the Steel Wheels tour simply because it was nice that they revived a tune that had not been played in a long time. It was performed well by Jagger and company in 89. Keith's solos were generally"on." Nowadays, that tune is a shell of its self. And you are right, the tune has become worn out by being played on almost every tour since then. IMHO, Sympathy needs to be retired from the setlist permanently ( with all the posing going on, I haven't heard a good Keith solo in years).

Date: November 28, 2016 20:23

HonkeyTonkFlash

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home