Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Charlie's most eccentric drumming
Date: November 16, 2016 21:40

How about "All Sold Out" ? He wears that Hi Hat out, man.

Of course "We Love You" and "2000 Man".
Let us not forget "How Can I Stop".
I like the persistence and oddness drumming of "my Obsession".

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 16, 2016 22:22

citadel child of the moon jigsaw puzzle

Date: November 16, 2016 22:52

The snare triplets on JSF are indeed spaced out and cool. What's so unusual about COTM and Citadel? Cool drumming on them just the same.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 17, 2016 02:17

If You Can't Rock Me

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 17, 2016 03:42

Listen to the start/intro to 'Sympathy' in the recent Havana Moon release..

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: November 17, 2016 03:57

I Go Wild

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: November 17, 2016 11:25

Phil Good
To me Honky Tonk Women still shows his best studio recorded drumming.
Apart that the sound of his drumming in HTW is one of the best drum sounds
I ever heard on records.

Not a drummer myself so it's just my 2 cts.

I once read that Jimmy Miller played the drums on HTWomen ...

Date: November 17, 2016 11:26

Meise
Phil Good
I ever heard on records.

Jimmy played the cowbell, Charlie played the drums.

Jimmy played the drums on Happy and YCAGWYW and on the second half of Tumbling Dice.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 17, 2016 11:57

Cool thread. I like re-listening to those songs and focussing on the drums.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 17, 2016 12:14

The whole Emotional Rescue

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 17, 2016 12:31

Neigbours has eccentric drumming too, no high hat or cymbals, just drums.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: November 17, 2016 12:43

marcovandereijk
Neigbours has eccentric drumming too, no high hat or cymbals, just drums.

Yeah, he sounds like a marching band-drummer from hell on Neighbours. Great!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 17, 2016 14:00

Shattered

"...shmatter,shmatter,shmatter..."

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: November 17, 2016 17:30

Using a crash cymbal as a ride and a china cymbal as a crash is pretty eccentric...but not good in any way. I think both options sound like crap. I often think how good something could sound if he'd choose the intended cymbals. A proper crash and a nice ride cymbal. He ruins a lot of songs for me with his unorthodox cymbal sounds. Same with skipping the one hit on the hi-hat when he hits the snare. It doesn't help to keep a groove or the flow in a song. God knows why he is doing it but his playing would improve tremendously if he wouldn't do it. The whole way he plays is eccentric. And stiff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-17 17:32 by Hansman.

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: November 17, 2016 17:39

DandelionPowderman
Meise
Phil Good
I ever heard on records.

Jimmy played the cowbell, Charlie played the drums.

Jimmy played the drums on Happy and YCAGWYW and on the second half of Tumbling Dice.

To this day I'm not sure if Charlie really played on HTW. I doubt it, to be honest. It doesn't sound like Charlie at all and he never played it live the way it was played on the recording. The recorded version sounds a million times better than any live version I have heard of the song.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 17, 2016 17:50

if you see any of the recent films, and youtube clips, Charlie looks really happy and relaxed while playing...

cant help but notice how straight his back always is while playing.

Im not sure if his choices for cymbal sounds are all that eccentric..

but I do know he started doing the hi hat skip on 2 and 4 because it helped the recorded sound of the snare drum.

i just have always loved his playing. I marvel at how simple it seems. the brashness and confidence he plays with belies his quiet, wise personality.

its really interesting that some think he didnt play drums on HTW... to me it shows the essence of his playing, along with Monkey Man.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: November 17, 2016 17:58

duke richardson
if you see any of the recent films, and youtube clips, Charlie looks really happy and relaxed while playing...

I know next nothing about drumming but spotted this quote yesterday:

"At 75, Watts is the oldest band member, and also happens to have the most physically demanding job. Understandably, he struggles with back pain, according to Wood. "

Rolling Stone

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 17, 2016 18:46

Hansman
Using a crash cymbal as a ride and a china cymbal as a crash is pretty eccentric...but not good in any way. I think both options sound like crap. I often think how good something could sound if he'd choose the intended cymbals. A proper crash and a nice ride cymbal. He ruins a lot of songs for me with his unorthodox cymbal sounds. Same with skipping the one hit on the hi-hat when he hits the snare. It doesn't help to keep a groove or the flow in a song. God knows why he is doing it but his playing would improve tremendously if he wouldn't do it. The whole way he plays is eccentric. And stiff.
I tend to agree. He used to create so much groove and movement with his hi hat, but lately he tends to just tick-tick-tick too robotically and it just doesn't serve the songs as well.

And as I said earlier, his over-use of the crash cymbal and under-use of the ride is very frustrating and perplexing, and seems to be a recent phenomenon (2002-2003 is when I think it started).

Date: November 17, 2016 18:57

JumpinJimF
duke richardson

I know next nothing about drumming but spotted this quote yesterday:

"At 75, Watts is the oldest band member, and also happens to have the most physically demanding job. Understandably, he struggles with back pain, according to Wood. "

Rolling Stone
If you look at old photos of Charlie, he used to slouch on his drum throne, which a LOT of drummers do, and it'll murder your back. I can't imagine the amount of mileage he's put in sitting on a drum throne, which is why he sits so rigidly now.

As a side note: I *LOVE* that cover photo, but goddamn RS for putting T****'s name and a reference to the AR-15 on the cover. I don't think I could stand putting that cover up on my fridge without shuddering every time I saw it.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 17, 2016 19:13

On the ยด78 tour. Great all the way.

Date: November 17, 2016 19:21

Richards has his own answer to the issue. "I'm black as the ace of @#$%& spades, man," he says, deadpan. "Ask any of the brothers." He continues, "I didn't know what color these people were, as a kid. I don't think of blues as being of any particular color at all. Obviously, its history. But there were white slaves, as well. There have been plenty of work songs from way back. Try Egypt. Quite Jewish, actually. You know, people have been doing this since history began."

Does anyone else cringe when Keith spews bullshit like this? Absolutely embarrassing...

Date: November 17, 2016 19:32

keefriff99
Richards has his own answer to the issue. "I'm black as the ace of @#$%& spades, man," he says, deadpan. "Ask any of the brothers." He continues, "I didn't know what color these people were, as a kid. I don't think of blues as being of any particular color at all. Obviously, its history. But there were white slaves, as well. There have been plenty of work songs from way back. Try Egypt. Quite Jewish, actually. You know, people have been doing this since history began."

Does anyone else cringe when Keith spews bullshit like this? Absolutely embarrassing...

Already posted in the Blue And Lonesome-thread. There's a discussion about that statement there as well.

Date: November 17, 2016 19:37

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99

Already posted in the Blue And Lonesome-thread. There's a discussion about that statement there as well.
Ah, I just found it. Seems my reaction wasn't unique...I didn't think that little gem would go un-discussed here. grinning smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 17, 2016 20:40

Is eccentric the right word word use here? Alot of people are posting his best work. I thought the word meant different or strange.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 17, 2016 20:57

As written in the first post:

"Charlie is a wonderful drummer, and he really knows how to serve the song.

However, there are examples of him almost going berzerk in certain numbers. What's your favourites among those songs"

People don't know how to read and just add to a thread.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 17, 2016 21:32

Koen
As written in the first post:

"Charlie is a wonderful drummer, and he really knows how to serve the song.

However, there are examples of him almost going berzerk in certain numbers. What's your favourites among those songs"

People don't know how to read and just add to a thread.

I hear ya.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: November 18, 2016 08:23

I like the way he played on the 78tour. Sweet Little Sixteen comes to mind.

Date: November 18, 2016 08:32

keefriff99
Hansman
I tend to agree. He used to create so much groove and movement with his hi hat, but lately he tends to just tick-tick-tick too robotically and it just doesn't serve the songs as well.

And as I said earlier, his over-use of the crash cymbal and under-use of the ride is very frustrating and perplexing, and seems to be a recent phenomenon (2002-2003 is when I think it started).

This is probably due to where he is playing nowadays: on huge stages. Not much studio work. On those mega stages it is down to the most common denominator, just keeping time and being heard.

Date: November 18, 2016 09:05

More Hot Rocks
Is eccentric the right word word use here? Alot of people are posting his best work. I thought the word meant different or strange.

It does.

Might be that some read "excellent", though. I meant eccentric.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 18, 2016 16:14

DandelionPowderman

like a marching band-drummer from hell

You just earned this weekend's Nobel prize for literature in my book, dear DandelionPowderman. >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home