Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Robbie Robertson's Autobiography, Testimony
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 22, 2016 02:05

roryfaninva
From the Hoffman form- and lets admit that John Simon actually knows the facts...
Here's John Simon's perspective on the songwriting question, from a 1999 interview:

Q: What's your take on the way the songwriting credits came down?

Simon: Oh, I have a finely honed opinion on that.

Q: Robbie Robertson says that he tried to get Richard involved and he was also fair when it came to giving credit to whoever was in the room at the time of writing.

Simon: Robbie was fair, yes indeed. Robbie was fair based on an old system. I don't know if you have the new math in England. Mathematics. It's like two different systems, the old math and the new one. The old system of contributing songwriting credits was very distinct - there were people who wrote songs and people who performed songs. And they were different people. You know, Frank Sinatra on very few occasions wrote a song, he was the singer. Sammy Cahn and Johnny Mercer were the writers and not the performers. So, that kind of thing. Like the Gershwins and the Rogers & Hart. All of those people were just songwriters. And that's the system under which Robbie determined that he would be songwriter of those songs. And its true, Robbie was the one who wrote the lyrics and wrote the music. Wrote the lyrics on legal paper, or whatever he wrote it on, and figured out the chords to the song and dictated the melody and chords to the other players. Okay.

Any reason why Manuel stopped writing songs?

He contributed on the first 3 albums.

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: November 22, 2016 03:13

mtaylor
roryfaninva
From the Hoffman form- and lets admit that John Simon actually knows the facts...
Here's John Simon's perspective on the songwriting question, from a 1999 interview:

Q: Robbie Robertson says that he tried to get Richard involved and he was also fair when it came to giving credit to whoever was in the room at the time of writing.

Simon: Robbie was fair, yes indeed. Robbie was fair based on an old system. I don't know if you have the new math in England. Mathematics. It's like two different systems, the old math and the new one. The old system of contributing songwriting credits was very distinct - there were people who wrote songs and people who performed songs. And they were different people. You know, Frank Sinatra on very few occasions wrote a song, he was the singer. Sammy Cahn and Johnny Mercer were the writers and not the performers. So, that kind of thing. Like the Gershwins and the Rogers & Hart. All of those people were just songwriters. And that's the system under which Robbie determined that he would be songwriter of those songs. And its true, Robbie was the one who wrote the lyrics and wrote the music. Wrote the lyrics on legal paper, or whatever he wrote it on, and figured out the chords to the song and dictated the melody and chords to the other players. Okay.

His alcoholism and drug addiction took over. And in respect to past songwriting efforts, Manuel, Danko, and Hudson were all so desperate for cash that Robertson bought their royalty rights from them.

Date: November 22, 2016 03:59

mtaylor
roryfaninva

already answered but drugs and stuff. robertson states in his book he wanted manuel and him to be a writing team but after 1970 manuel sorta stopped writing. go look at the pre 1970 band credits and pre band stuff. lots of robertson-manuel credits

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: November 22, 2016 05:07

robertson is a punk the rest of the band hated him

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: November 22, 2016 05:16

At the end I think they felt about Robbie like Keith felt about Mick, they (Robbie/Mick) wanted to do their own thing.

Date: November 22, 2016 05:35

potus43

when did the rest of them hate it? was it when they were appearing on his solo work in the 80's and 90's?

levon is the only one who seemed to have a huge issue with him

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-22 05:35 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 22, 2016 08:31

potus43

Pretty much so, though Levon was the most outspoken. Really outspoken.

Date: November 22, 2016 14:13

triceratops
potus43

so why did 3 of them appear on multiple solo releases by Robertson then? Levon seems like a bitter person who made bad decisions in life. I think levon himself has said a fire and bad investing was the reason he lost most of his money but then tries to blame Robertson even though its clear he didn't write tunes

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 22, 2016 15:14

Date: November 22, 2016 15:24

keefriffhard4life
triceratops
potus43

so why did 3 of them appear on multiple solo releases by Robertson then? Levon seems like a bitter person who made bad decisions in life. I think levon himself has said a fire and bad investing was the reason he lost most of his money but then tries to blame Robertson even though its clear he didn't write tunes
Really , from my reasearch Garth Hudson and Rick Danko appear not Levon .Please provide proof .

Date: November 22, 2016 16:50

TheGreek
keefriffhard4life
triceratops
potus43

Really , from my reasearch Garth Hudson and Rick Danko appear not Levon .Please provide proof .

well there are 5 guys in the band and my statement says when did 3 of them appear on Robertson solo releases, thats clearly what I wrote. The odd man out was levon. Richard Manuel appears on 2 soundtrack contributions robbie did.so why did 3 guys who hate robbie continue to work with him? The op said the rest of the group hates him. I've provide plenty of quotes and evidence that levon simply was bitter towards Robertson and didn't write tunes and was probably upset Robertson had 2 successful solo albums that went gold while nothing helm did after the original band was greeted with the same success. Oh yeah his grammys for albums made up of songs he did not write.

Date: November 22, 2016 17:57

keefriffhard4life
TheGreek
keefriffhard4life
triceratops
potus43

well there are 5 guys in the band and my statement says when did 3 of them appear on Robertson solo releases, thats clearly what I wrote. The odd man out was levon. Richard Manuel appears on 2 soundtrack contributions robbie did.so why did 3 guys who hate robbie continue to work with him? The op said the rest of the group hates him. I've provide plenty of quotes and evidence that levon simply was bitter towards Robertson and didn't write tunes and was probably upset Robertson had 2 successful solo albums that went gold while nothing helm did after the original band was greeted with the same success. Oh yeah his grammys for albums made up of songs he did not write.
Please provide proof ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-22 17:58 by TheGreek.

Date: November 22, 2016 18:05

Proof of what? I gave quotes by people who worked with helm in the 90s. I pointed out the writing credits prior to 1970 when drugs took over most of the band showing lots of credits given to others. I mentioned the lack if writing credits on levons on solo work and non Robertson band releases. I mentioned demos of just robbie or robbie and another member, not helm, that sound pretty much exactly like the versions of the songs the band did. I posted a Robertson solo tune "between trains" that sounds just like a tune by the band and levon had no hand in it. I mentioned 3 of the other guys worked with robbie as a solo artist.

your proof is you meet them, they are nice. Helm won grammys for albums comprised almost entirely of songs he has no writing credit on

Date: November 22, 2016 18:28

keefriffhard4life
Proof of what? I gave quotes by people who worked with helm in the 90s. I pointed out the writing credits prior to 1970 when drugs took over most of the band showing lots of credits given to others. I mentioned the lack if writing credits on levons on solo work and non Robertson band releases. I mentioned demos of just robbie or robbie and another member, not helm, that sound pretty much exactly like the versions of the songs the band did. I posted a Robertson solo tune "between trains" that sounds just like a tune by the band and levon had no hand in it. I mentioned 3 of the other guys worked with robbie as a solo artist.

your proof is you meet them, they are nice. Helm won grammys for albums comprised almost entirely of songs he has no writing credit on
I was responding to your own words(that 3 members of The Band were on Robbie's solo albums and i found proff of Rick Danko and Garth Hudson ) and i asked you to back it up with factual information .

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 22, 2016 19:15

Seems like people have already chosen their sides in this Band feud and really aren't budging, whether rightly or wrongly. Its not really for us to judge. I'll remind people though that Danko, Robertson and Hudson did play together at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Maybe not the most genuine, but the only one who truly refused was Levon. I think thats basically what the relationship was like. They all sorta resented Robbie, but they didn't hate him cause they knew that in the end he was key to the band. Levon was the only one, and maybe with good reason, that really didn't like him.

Also, I just love their playing on The Last Waltz. I know its a controversial release, but they all sounded and played so good there and I regularly listen to just the Band concert songs from that all the time. I rather look at that than all the talk about who hated who.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-22 19:17 by RollingFreak.

Date: November 22, 2016 19:28

RollingFreak
Seems like people have already chosen their sides in this Band feud and really aren't budging, whether rightly or wrongly. Its not really for us to judge. I'll remind people though that Danko, Robertson and Hudson did play together at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Maybe not the most genuine, but the only one who truly refused was Levon. I think thats basically what the relationship was like. They all sorta resented Robbie, but they didn't hate him cause they knew that in the end he was key to the band. Levon was the only one, and maybe with good reason, that really didn't like him.

Also, I just love their playing on The Last Waltz. I know its a controversial release, but they all sounded and played so good there and I regularly listen to just the Band concert songs from that all the time. I rather look at that than all the talk about who hated who.
The Band was about the 3 part(Helm,Danko and Manuel) vocal harmonies and the multi instrumental members (4 out of 5 ) and the wonderfull music they made together . One person alone does not make or create such a truly great piece of art like that .

Date: November 22, 2016 19:32

keefriffhard4life

While Levon Helm won 3 Grammy awards for his solo material "for finding songs that sound like the Band" Robbie was busy peddling childrens books and hawking yet another repackaged version of The Last Waltz. And if GRAMMYS mean nothing ,aren't sales also irrelevant ?

Date: November 22, 2016 20:12

TheGreek
RollingFreak

The Band was about the 3 part(Helm,Danko and Manuel) vocal harmonies and the multi instrumental members (4 out of 5 ) and the wonderfull music they made together . One person alone does not make or create such a truly great piece of art like that .

Jesus, I'm not saying anyone was. I'm just saying Robbie was as key as all the rest of them. Its about those 5 guys. Not 4 of them, not 3 of them, not just Robbie. All of them.

Date: November 22, 2016 21:07

TheGreek
keefriffhard4life

I was responding to your own words(that 3 members of The Band were on Robbie's solo albums and i found proff of Rick Danko and Garth Hudson ) and i asked you to back it up with factual information .

factual information. Manuel plays on "between trains" and another movie soundtrack tune Robertson did. "Between trains" is posted in this thread. What do you want?

Date: November 22, 2016 21:10

TheGreek
keefriffhard4life

While Levon Helm won 3 Grammy awards for his solo material "for finding songs that sound like the Band" Robbie was busy peddling childrens books and hawking yet another repackaged version of The Last Waltz. And if GRAMMYS mean nothing ,aren't sales also irrelevant ?

you seem to want to not talk about the elephant in the room. The lack of helm writing credit for his own solo material. Its like you try and deflect that issue and talk about Robertson projects. He has said many times when I have something to say musically I'll make an album. He has done that 5 times plus several randon tunes.

Date: November 22, 2016 21:14

TheGreek
RollingFreak

you seem to want to downplay what Robbie did to try and backup your view he screwed others. Many people consider that first Robertson solo album a classic. Go to steve hoffman forum and get insight from actual music industry people

Date: November 22, 2016 21:26

keefriffhard4life
TheGreek
keefriffhard4life

you seem to want to not talk about the elephant in the room. The lack of helm writing credit for his own solo material. Its like you try and deflect that issue and talk about Robertson projects. He has said many times when I have something to say musically I'll make an album. He has done that 5 times plus several randon tunes.
Compare the credits on two Martin Scorsese concert films .On The Last Waltz , Robbie is the only band member listed as a producer.On Shine A Light, Mick,Keith ,Charlie and Ronnie are credited. Why? Better management/representation ,willingness to share credit, or something more shady and nefarious going on ? Robbie did not attend Richard's funeral.Levon never forgave him for that .And Levon and Rick were the ones who found Richard hanging and cut him down. Robbie did attend Rick's funeral,and Levon did not speak to him .At the memorial service,Robbie took the opportunity to tell the public how beautifully Rick sang the songs HE wrote. Way to be classy and appropriate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-22 21:32 by TheGreek.

Date: November 22, 2016 21:28

Here is a article by John Simon the Producer [www.elmoremagazine.com]

Date: November 22, 2016 21:34

TheGreek
Robbie did not attend Richard's funeral.Levon never forgave him for that .

Robbie went to Helm's bedside when he was dying. That must eat away at you. Stupid a-hole going there just to hold his hand. And I've never anyone related to Helm say that he DIDN'T forgive Robbie before he died.

Date: November 22, 2016 21:38

RollingFreak
TheGreek

Robbie went to Helm's bedside when he was dying. That must eat away at you. Stupid a-hole going there just to hold his hand. And I've never anyone related to Helm say that he DIDN'T forgive Robbie before he died.
Sure Robbie went to make peace with a comatose Levon Helm .Nice gesture

Date: November 22, 2016 21:45

Hey everybody never let the facts get in the way of perpatrating a fraud

Date: November 22, 2016 22:44

Robbie was actually the one that gave Levon the cancer. Its sad that people forget about that. That Robbie is actually the devil. I'd watch your back Garth Hudson!

Date: November 22, 2016 23:52

TheGreek
keefriffhard4life
TheGreek
keefriffhard4life

Compare the credits on two Martin Scorsese concert films .On The Last Waltz , Robbie is the only band member listed as a producer.On Shine A Light, Mick,Keith ,Charlie and Ronnie are credited. Why? Better management/representation ,willingness to share credit, or something more shady and nefarious going on ? Robbie did not attend Richard's funeral.Levon never forgave him for that .And Levon and Rick were the ones who found Richard hanging and cut him down. Robbie did attend Rick's funeral,and Levon did not speak to him .At the memorial service,Robbie took the opportunity to tell the public how beautifully Rick sang the songs HE wrote. Way to be classy and appropriate.

the rest of the band disowned the last waltz pretty much from day 1. why would create be shared with the other members when we all no that no one but robertson helped edit the film, do soundtrack work, etc? the other members are producers because they played? so every actor should be a producer on every film they are in?

Date: November 22, 2016 23:55

TheGreek
Here is a article by John Simon the Producer [www.elmoremagazine.com][/quote

so the guy gets $600 a year from the waltz, has no clue if he would get more or less from the first 2 albums and complains but no evidence in the article states how much anyone else makes. the last since has someone else claiming no one gets much of anything from it

Date: November 22, 2016 23:57

TheGreek
RollingFreak
TheGreek

Sure Robbie went to make peace with a comatose Levon Helm .Nice gesture

helm talked smack about robertson for over 20 years and he still went to visit him. i bet you helm wouldn't have done that had it been robbie dying. helm might have showed up at the funeral just to spit on the grave

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1937
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home