Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Gimme Shelter" raw footage? 30 hours of material!
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 8, 2016 21:34

"Through his series at International House, Chaiken met famed documentary filmmaker, Albert Maysles (“Gimme Shelter,” “Grey Gardens”), who spoke at a retrospective of his work that Chaiken organized.

Maysles’ production company, Maysles Films, was in the midst of moving from Manhattan to Harlem, and Chaiken soon jumped on board to help with the transition.

“As an independent film company, they were always looking for revenue to make the next film,” Chaiken said. “So I helped them a little with their DVDs that Criterion put out—worked the contracts and stuff like that—but the one thing that I said to Al was, ‘Where are your outtakes to Gimme Shelter?’”

Chaiken plowed into the archives and found 30 hours of Rolling Stones footage that no one had ever seen"

[www.thetulsavoice.com]

Re: "Gimme Shelter" raw footage? 30 hours of material!
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 8, 2016 21:40

That sound great..............

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 9, 2016 11:17

dcba
"Through his series at International House, Chaiken met famed documentary filmmaker, Albert Maysles (“Gimme Shelter,” “Grey Gardens”), who spoke at a retrospective of his work that Chaiken organized.

Maysles’ production company, Maysles Films, was in the midst of moving from Manhattan to Harlem, and Chaiken soon jumped on board to help with the transition.

“As an independent film company, they were always looking for revenue to make the next film,” Chaiken said. “So I helped them a little with their DVDs that Criterion put out—worked the contracts and stuff like that—but the one thing that I said to Al was, ‘Where are your outtakes to Gimme Shelter?’”

Chaiken plowed into the archives and found 30 hours of Rolling Stones footage that no one had ever seen"

[www.thetulsavoice.com]

The archived material is no longer with the Maysles Institute. From what I understood from Al Maysles when we spent the day together Chaiken had done preliminary work with the outtakes, etc. But the week I was there in 2013 the materials had just been packed off to be preserved and conserved--from what I understand, that effort is still underway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-09 11:18 by swiss.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 9, 2016 11:56

I have a feeling that many classic bands such as Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Who and The Stones are now holding on to whatever archive material they have for the barren years ahead when bands cease to be.

The golden years of record sales have long been in decline and to keep interest up for endless re-releases they will need archive material.

Take Led Zeppelin for instance. Jimmy Page could have drawn on so much better material for the latest round of Zepp re-re-re-releases. He has, in the cam complete concerts for Earls Court (two nights), Knebworth (two nights) and Seattle Kingdom 1977 plus better outtakes than the ones offered up on those CDs.

The Beatles are still sitting on hours of footage from Twickenham during the making of Let It Be plus gigs in Japan and other footage from around the world.

The Who also have complete videos from Monterey 67, Woodstock in 69 (admittedly in poor quality), Isle of Wight 69, Holland in 73, Charlton in 74, Hammersmith Odeon Kampuchea gig in 79.

And the Stones still have Paris 76, Knebworth 76, and their pick from many shows since 89 which have all been filmed. There's also hours of unreleased studio outtakes from Between The Buttons, Satanic Majestys, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, Goats Head Soup, Black & Blue all the way throguh to the present day.

Unfortunately I think many of us will be lucky to see all of this material released in our lifetimes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-09 12:21 by Silver Dagger.

Date: November 9, 2016 12:07

@ SD :
well Jagger has ZERO interest in the band's legacy. He just digs a few thngs left and right for re-releases that will keep the band's current activity on the media radar.
Othewise we would have gotten a 5-cd edition of SF, full of outtakes alt versions etc etc plus a separate 2-cd release of the complete Roundhouse shows.

Plus I remain an optimistic : these super re-releases will happen one day. And the 30 hrs of GS footage will be dug in... one day.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 9, 2016 16:23

Good to see this today. It is a Stones fan "Grail". Please complete this project before we are all to old to watch or listen to it....

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: November 10, 2016 13:04

What's the point of hoarding this classic material if you never plan to release it? Some of these films are now 40 to 50 years old and still languish in a locked filing cabinet.

Date: November 10, 2016 14:14

Father Ted
What's the point of hoarding this classic material if you never plan to release it? Some of these films are now 40 to 50 years old and still languish in a locked filing cabinet.

Exactly. I'm sure if you looked at a demographic of who's interested in buying archive material it will generally be fans who have grown up with that band - not today's younger generation. And the longer they leave it the more it becomes a case of diminishing returns.

Date: November 10, 2016 15:31

LOL - did my post not show up? cool smiley

Date: November 10, 2016 16:19

swiss

What post?

Date: November 11, 2016 10:11

Silver Dagger
swiss

What post?

eye popping smiley

haha

(wish we had some new emojis/gifs)

-swiss

Date: November 11, 2016 13:27

Silver Dagger
Father Ted

Exactly. I'm sure if you looked at a demographic of who's interested in buying archive material it will generally be fans who have grown up with that band - not today's younger generation. And the longer they leave it the more it becomes a case of diminishing returns.

If they don't want to release it, give it to someone who will.

Date: November 12, 2016 07:13

Father Ted
Silver Dagger
Father Ted

I already have shared what is up with this above....

Date: November 12, 2016 10:48

swiss
Father Ted
Silver Dagger
Father Ted

I already have shared what is up with this above....

Thanks Swiss but I wasn't talking specifically about the Gimme Shelter footage but more broadly about the concerts mentioned by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: November 12, 2016 11:33

While 30 hours is a lot of footage, much of it probably is just a bunch of nothing waiting for things to happen. It's not like it is 30 hours of Stones performing or being interviewed. Even though I wish it was.

They really should start the next volume of ''From the valut'', let's release the videos from Paris and Knebworth 1976, something from 1999, and some club shows from 2002-2003.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: November 12, 2016 11:34

Yeah, what about a whole 1969 concert while I'm still here! If I ever get dimentia I'm screwed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-12 11:34 by midimannz.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 12, 2016 17:40

midimannz
Yeah, what about a whole 1969 concert while I'm still here! If I ever get dementia I'm screwed

At least everything will sound new to you................

Date: November 12, 2016 20:08

Well if you film a whole 1969 show with 3 cameras you already have nearly 4 hrs of footage. So yeah the "30 hrs" bait is somewhat misleading. But the archivist who saw the whole says it's "amazing". Maybe we have several reels of the band recording at Muscle Shoals...? (yum)

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 13, 2016 06:56

midimannz
Yeah, what about a whole 1969 concert while I'm still here! If I ever get dimentia I'm screwed

you already are ... it's not dimentia but dementia

plexi

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: November 13, 2016 13:25

Father Ted

Sometimes it's just ego and vanity. A performance may have been documented but but a band mate doesn't like the way they looked, or sounded, or whatever. The Stones have such a wealth of archive material they have the luxury of releasing only that which they are completely comfortable with.

Date: November 13, 2016 15:32

StonedInTokyo
The Stones have such a wealth of archive material they have the luxury of releasing only that which they are completely comfortable with.

I agree but not with the explanatino you give. Jagger invests his energy in the current life of the band.
All the archive releases we've seen have been dead esy ones to do : pick the tape from the shelf, trasnfer it to digital, sell it. No editing required, no agonizign over what version's better, no it was a bunch of straight simple jobs.

With the GS raw material it would take either a complete involvement by Jagger to seep thru these 30 hrs (not gonna happen) or hire an archivist to do the job (again : not gonna happen).

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 13, 2016 18:50

timbernardis
midimannz

you already are ... it's not dimentia but dementia

plexi

dimentia you get from downloading too many shows

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: December 2, 2016 22:58

Man I would kill to see this footage as the 1969 tour is my favorite by far.. I hopefully we get official release in some form before I die.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 2, 2016 23:35

I don't think anyone has mentioned about after so many years, things go into 'Public Domain' which likely explains why we get things like Bob Dylan's recent box set of all the 1966 shows. Of course, if no one else can get their hands on it in the 1st place, that helps the 'owners.' Not sure if it applies to film too, or just music?

Date: December 3, 2016 00:26

Wouldn't Ronnie Schneider know more about this? I mean specifically the 69 footage.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 3, 2016 01:29

Silver Dagger
I have a feeling that many classic bands such as Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Who and The Stones are now holding on to whatever archive material they have for the barren years ahead when bands cease to be.

The golden years of record sales have long been in decline and to keep interest up for endless re-releases they will need archive material.

Take Led Zeppelin for instance. Jimmy Page could have drawn on so much better material for the latest round of Zepp re-re-re-releases. He has, in the cam complete concerts for Earls Court (two nights), Knebworth (two nights) and Seattle Kingdom 1977 plus better outtakes than the ones offered up on those CDs.

The Beatles are still sitting on hours of footage from Twickenham during the making of Let It Be plus gigs in Japan and other footage from around the world.

The Who also have complete videos from Monterey 67, Woodstock in 69 (admittedly in poor quality), Isle of Wight 69, Holland in 73, Charlton in 74, Hammersmith Odeon Kampuchea gig in 79.

And the Stones still have Paris 76, Knebworth 76, and their pick from many shows since 89 which have all been filmed. There's also hours of unreleased studio outtakes from Between The Buttons, Satanic Majestys, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, Goats Head Soup, Black & Blue all the way throguh to the present day.

Unfortunately I think many of us will be lucky to see all of this material released in our lifetimes.

Well, most of this material is available in bootleg form or on youtube - just not "officially".

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: December 6, 2016 21:02

On today the anniversary of Altamont! December 6 let me give you some info...

I am sure there are many hours of footage that the public has not seen-But the Maysles, cameramen, editors, etc. have seen and probably gone over every inch of film dozens of times. (I thought I saw the Hells Angels being asked up on the stage after a guy jumped the stage and crashed thru a drum kit in some of the footage I saw..but the Maysles said they couldn't find it, when I asked them later)
-The only tour concert the Maysles filmed was Madison Square Garden. (I hired the Maysles the day before the Madison Square Garden show, to only shoot that show!
-They filmed in Muscle Shoals.
-Gimme Shelter was an edited compiling of the Maysles and the other camera people that shot Altamont--footage that they bought.
-I did the deal for a film (original title for Gimme Shelter was Let It Bleed) with the Maysles, two weeks after Altamont
-December 4,1970 a year later was when we did the distribution deal for Gimme Shelter

The documents backing up the facts are in my book--thinking of releasing it on Valentines Day... for the fans.. Out of Our Heads, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles and Me

Date: December 6, 2016 22:02

Thx Mr Schneider! thumbs up

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: December 7, 2016 21:08

bmuseed
On today the anniversary of Altamont! December 6 let me give you some info...

I am sure there are many hours of footage that the public has not seen-But the Maysles, cameramen, editors, etc. have seen and probably gone over every inch of film dozens of times. (I thought I saw the Hells Angels being asked up on the stage after a guy jumped the stage and crashed thru a drum kit in some of the footage I saw..but the Maysles said they couldn't find it, when I asked them later)
-The only tour concert the Maysles filmed was Madison Square Garden. (I hired the Maysles the day before the Madison Square Garden show, to only shoot that show!
-They filmed in Muscle Shoals.
-Gimme Shelter was an edited compiling of the Maysles and the other camera people that shot Altamont--footage that they bought.
-I did the deal for a film (original title for Gimme Shelter was Let It Bleed) with the Maysles, two weeks after Altamont
-December 4,1970 a year later was when we did the distribution deal for Gimme Shelter

The documents backing up the facts are in my book--thinking of releasing it on Valentines Day... for the fans.. Out of Our Heads, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles and Me

sounds great Ronnie

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: December 7, 2016 21:45

I will buy that book!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home