Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Mick Ralphs stroke
Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 6, 2016 06:34

According to ultimateclassicrock.com, Mick Ralphs of Mott the Hoople (and later Bad Company) had a stroke recently. People may not realize that he came with that killer guitar intro to All the Young Dudes, among his other accomplishments. Here's to a speedy recovery!

Saw his Mott bandmate Ian Hunter last week: an ageless wonder with a cracking band.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-06 09:06 by ab.

Re: OT: Mick Ralph's stroke
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 6, 2016 07:05

Hope he's alright. An underrated guitar player and writer. Big Mott and Bad Company fan.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: November 6, 2016 08:29

I was really saddened when I read the news. I saw Mick and Bad Comoany last Saturday and his playing was superb. He played more lead then when I last saw him with Bad co. I've met him quite a few times over the last ten years as we don't live that far from each other, this included a very strange conversation outside a guitar shop when he quizzed me about my then new guitar.

I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 6, 2016 11:36

mr_c_ox
I was really saddened when I read the news. I saw Mick and Bad Comoany last Saturday and his playing was superb. He played more lead then when I last saw him with Bad co. I've met him quite a few times over the last ten years as we don't live that far from each other, this included a very strange conversation outside a guitar shop when he quizzed me about my then new guitar.

When was this stroke ? I saw him a few weeks ago at Nell's Jazz & Blues Bar in Kensington, and then last Saturday at he O2. He was on great form. Wish him well in any case.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Re: OT: Mick Ralphs stroke
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 6, 2016 18:40

Latest "Really good news, and it seems a slight improvement.Mick has been moved from the intensive care, to his own room."

Date: November 6, 2016 22:44

ab
According to ultimateclassicrock.com, Mick Ralphs of Mott the Hoople (and later Bad Company) had a stroke recently. People may not realize that he came with that killer guitar intro to All the Young Dudes, among his other accomplishments. Here's to a speedy recovery!

Saw his Mott bandmate Ian Hunter last week: an ageless wonder with a cracking band.

i know not the time or place but do you have a demo version by bowie before mott had the song without that guitar intro? every version i've heard by bowie has a very similar guitar intro to the mott version

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 7, 2016 13:37

Get well soon .

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 7, 2016 13:54

paulywaul
mr_c_ox

When was this stroke ? I saw him a few weeks ago at Nell's Jazz & Blues Bar in Kensington, and then last Saturday at he O2. He was on great form. Wish him well in any case.

Warner Hodges told the audience at a Homemade Sin gig on Thursday evening which led to the first mentions on social media.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 7, 2016 22:04

"Mick update. Mick is progressing with his recovery, and has now started to get back some feeling down his left side, but its going to be a slow process. He is comfortable, and receiving the best treatment."

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 7, 2016 22:42

God, getting old sucks so much.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 7, 2016 22:55

Wishing Mick speedy recovery.

But why did he sit out the American tour earlier this year in the first place?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 8, 2016 02:34

WE LOVE YOU MICK !! get well soon you can do this.
All great respect and affection for the man who wrote Rock & Roll Queen! (Mott The Hoople)
And at the end of Walking With A Mountain (one of my all time favorite songs)
they play a hot spirited tribute of JJF, a great salute to The Stones, working in another room.

Better hold on now
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-08 02:36 by hopkins.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 8, 2016 02:37

RollingFreak
God, getting old sucks so much.

Heard that

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 8, 2016 04:36

keefriffhard4life
ab

i know not the time or place but do you have a demo version by bowie before mott had the song without that guitar intro? every version i've heard by bowie has a very similar guitar intro to the mott version

I don't have a demo, but Bowie didn't record All the Young Dudes until months after Mott's version was released.

[www.gibson.com]

Excerpt: Which of your solos are you most proud of?

It’s interesting. I came up with that opening intro for “All the Young Dudes.” From that point forward, whenever Ian wrote songs, it was my job to come up with a little figure – a hook -- at the beginning. That was true of “Roll Away the Stone,” “Honaloochie Boogie,” lots of others. That was my role.

[www.bowiewonderworld.com]

This article also refers to Ralphs coming up with the intro.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1899
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home