Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Roger Daltrey says ‘The Stones are the best rock n' roll band'
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 6, 2016 01:15

this is a serious survey Hank....
The answers will tell us so much .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 6, 2016 01:20

Penny Lane or Strawberry Fields .... which one ya choose ....????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 6, 2016 01:43

Strawberry Fields

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: November 6, 2016 03:36

Rockman
this is a serious survey Hank....
The answers will tell us so much .....
I keep trying and trying... but I keep coming up the same answer...

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 6, 2016 18:04

Strawberry Fields for sure. All this talk of the Beatles being over rated is pure ridiculousness. I like the Stones better but the Beatles are the biggest act that ever hit. It's just the way it is. I much prefer the Stones and the I think the Stones are a close second but the Beatles kicked the doors down.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: November 6, 2016 19:19

slew
Strawberry Fields for sure. All this talk of the Beatles being over rated is pure ridiculousness. I like the Stones better but the Beatles are the biggest act that ever hit. It's just the way it is. I much prefer the Stones and the I think the Stones are a close second but the Beatles kicked the doors down.

Agreed. Going around and minimizing the Beatles impact and how important they were as artists because of personal preference is a waste of time. I will never get why music boards are full of that stuff. What is the point of calling someone overrated when it really only means its your preference. And I don't like anything the Beatles except for their 1967-68 period.

The only artist in the Rock era at the Beatles level is Bob Dylan. he matches them with influence, critical acclaim, opening doors and legend, and a good case can be made that he will be talked about longer then they will be.

The Stones are my favorites but I think it comes down to this. Nobody else was talented enough to do what the Beatles and Dylan did. People were talented enough to do what the Stones did but they didn't. I saw Ton Petty talk about this. He said early on when watching the Beatles he didn't feel he was up to being able to do that. When he watched the Stones he felt he could do that. I think that is the difference.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: November 6, 2016 19:54

HankM
potus43
whitem8
Such a boring cliche to say a band that blasted rock into people's soul, wrote, four singers, multi instrumental innovators were a boy band. Yawn. Stand in the corner son and draw.
Whose soul??? Not mine and Hank's. And MANY others . I will not apologize that I found the Beatles pretty darn boring and incredibly overrated. Wow, they had 4 singers. That's incredible. Now you stand in the corner sonny boy

I dont always agree with potus43, but I look at the comment and words not the user name, and in this case we do agree.

Soul schmoul... the beatles were right place, right time, got lucky made a few albums for a couple of years and quit before they washed out... The Delta blues men, Chuck Berry and Elvis laid the ground work for some band/promoter like them to come along and hit it big like they did in front of a bunch of screaming teenage beiber type fans that welcomed them to America.

Sure they have some good songs but they came and were gone before they ever... ah anyway... I have never understood people who still swoon over them.

Give me a long term, long touring, long living, real rocking band like the one led by Mick and Keith for 50 years any day. Life is too long to fawn over short timers who get lucky for a short period of time.

Right on

Date: November 6, 2016 19:57

HankM
potus43
whitem8
Such a boring cliche to say a band that blasted rock into people's soul, wrote, four singers, multi instrumental innovators were a boy band. Yawn. Stand in the corner son and draw.
Whose soul??? Not mine and Hank's. And MANY others . I will not apologize that I found the Beatles pretty darn boring and incredibly overrated. Wow, they had 4 singers. That's incredible. Now you stand in the corner sonny boy

I dont always agree with potus43, but I look at the comment and words not the user name, and in this case we do agree.

Soul schmoul... the beatles were right place, right time, got lucky made a few albums for a couple of years and quit before they washed out... The Delta blues men, Chuck Berry and Elvis laid the ground work for some band/promoter like them to come along and hit it big like they did in front of a bunch of screaming teenage beiber type fans that welcomed them to America.

Sure they have some good songs but they came and were gone before they ever... ah anyway... I have never understood people who still swoon over them.

Give me a long term, long touring, long living, real rocking band like the one led by Mick and Keith for 50 years any day. Life is too long to fawn over short timers who get lucky for a short period of time.

More personal preference... A waste of time in this discussion.

Date: November 6, 2016 19:59

Yes but opinions are not allowed here...unless you agree

Date: November 6, 2016 20:03

potus43

You seriously don't get the point yet? The talk now is the pecking order of rock as a whole. Personal opinions don't change that. Yes we know there are all kids of opinions and preferences out there and there is really no sense in talking about them when it comes to talking about Rocks's pecking order. Again i am amazed that so many people on music forums can't grasp this.

Ratt is the greatest band ever and number 1 in the pecking order because I say so and only my opinion matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-06 20:10 by stanlove.

Date: November 6, 2016 21:26

Ratt is the greatest band ever

Ratt created some of rocks greatest guitars riffs...

And depending on how much one has to drink Ratt might even slurby doodly dooo

But... Ratt was another short timer band... did not tour enough... and then they were gone... so... ack ack

Date: November 6, 2016 21:37

The Beatles were more right time right place and got lucky then anything else.
If they had not quit like they did they would have faded. They knew it and it is why they quit.

Confusing luck and being in the right time place with talent/brains/born in to the right family is a mistake many make.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 9, 2016 20:10

stanlove
potus43

You seriously don't get the point yet? The talk now is the pecking order of rock as a whole. Personal opinions don't change that. Yes we know there are all kids of opinions and preferences out there and there is really no sense in talking about them when it comes to talking about Rocks's pecking order. Again i am amazed that so many people on music forums can't grasp this.

Ratt is the greatest band ever and number 1 in the pecking order because I say so and only my opinion matters.

ok,i have some questions about "the pecking order of rock as a whole"-since it's not just opinions,what is it? is there an office of the pecking order? is it an "organization of rock pecking" order like the world trade organization?
or is it written in scripture somewhere,maybe stone tablets? otherwise i'm pretty sure it's just the opinion of alot of mainstream people who don't know the difference between rock and pop.[the answer is btw-music based in blues,soul and country vs catchy songs for the whole family]she loves you yeah yeah yeah...yeaaaah.

Date: November 10, 2016 00:06

lem motlow
stanlove
potus43

ok,i have some questions about "the pecking order of rock as a whole"-since it's not just opinions,what is it? is there an office of the pecking order? is it an "organization of rock pecking" order like the world trade organization?
or is it written in scripture somewhere,maybe stone tablets? otherwise i'm pretty sure it's just the opinion of alot of mainstream people who don't know the difference between rock and pop.[the answer is btw-music based in blues,soul and country vs catchy songs for the whole family]she loves you yeah yeah yeah...yeaaaah.

I believe deep down you actually get it. Why waste time.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 2, 2017 12:48

Happy Birthday Roger! 73 years old today. The Who are the best hard rock band. they might have invented it...

Thank you Roger! I've seen him very many times when he was in his twenties, very many, and really close; I met him once as well and hung with him before a show and really love The Who. I couldn't find the birthday thread and didn't want to start a new one w this, maybe should have but here 'tis Happy Birthday Roger!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-02 12:48 by hopkins.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 2, 2017 18:18

Indeed it must be noted that discussions like The Who vs. The Stones are apples and oranges. The Stones are the best at the style they do and The Who are the best at what they do. Happy BD Rog!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: March 2, 2017 18:31

I was lucky enough! to hang out with all of them... Pete Townsend, Roger Daltry, Ray Davies, Who, Stones, Kinks, Beatles, Animals, Herman's Hermits.. and can only say....beauty is in the eye of the beholder --each one respected and envied the other..

If we used longevity as the judge. The Rolling Stones are still playing and touring..

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: March 2, 2017 18:43

So now who should I trust? Daltrey or Kramer?

Date: March 2, 2017 19:11

Rockman

Which is more boring? That's tough

Date: March 2, 2017 19:26

stanlove
shortfatfanny
stanlove
Personal opinions or preferences are a waste of time on music forums.

Funny...did I miss some scientific proof or do you just share your personal opinion?

I enjoy personal opinions and preferences on music forums...that's the sense of it.
Fact sheets can be found anywhere else.

So are you denying that the Beatles were more popular,influential,critically acclaimed, and will be remembered longer then the Stones?

Personal opinions about greatness are a waste of time. There are all kinds of opinions out there and yoiu already know that. Why would reading it change anything.

Stones are the greatest rock n roll band of all time. If you like elevator music, though, ..

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2017 19:36

bmuseed
I was lucky enough! to hang out with all of them... Pete Townsend, Roger Daltry, Ray Davies, Who, Stones, Kinks, Beatles, Animals, Herman's Hermits.. and can only say....beauty is in the eye of the beholder --each one respected and envied the other..

If we used longevity as the judge. The Rolling Stones are still playing and touring..

on the other hand, they haven't been burdened with dealing with 'creative differences' between band members for the last 30 years or so, because no one's been particularly creative.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 2, 2017 19:48

Rockman

Strawberry Fields

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 2, 2017 19:57

DoomandGloom
The Beatles were the preeminent act in the history of show business. Put them in any category you want they are the top. The Stones, Kinks, Who would not have been what they are without The Beatles blasting through every barrier until they confronted Jesus and Evangelicals. We all have our favourites and Beatle music has been played out for sure but they are history in the largest sense.

Categories that they're not "the top" in.
Longevity
Best live band-of all time
Number of original albums
Band with greatest frontman
Band that played live to the most people
Band with Greatest (and longest lasting) sidemen (and women)

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 2, 2017 20:12

hopkins
Happy Birthday Roger! 73 years old today. The Who are the best hard rock band. they might have invented it...

Thank you Roger! I've seen him very many times when he was in his twenties, very many, and really close; I met him once as well and hung with him before a show and really love The Who. I couldn't find the birthday thread and didn't want to start a new one w this, maybe should have but here 'tis Happy Birthday Roger!

[www.youtube.com]

Happy Birthday - Relaxing at the Beach in Palm Beach, Florida

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: March 3, 2017 22:29

do you like Bon Jovi

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 3, 2017 22:42

MisterDDDD
DoomandGloom
The Beatles were the preeminent act in the history of show business. Put them in any category you want they are the top. The Stones, Kinks, Who would not have been what they are without The Beatles blasting through every barrier until they confronted Jesus and Evangelicals. We all have our favourites and Beatle music has been played out for sure but they are history in the largest sense.

Categories that they're not "the top" in.
Longevity beatles said their say and got out of the way; good on them
Best live band-of all time (arguable; James Brown, Tina Turner, others...i could argue either side of that. even if you're only talking rock and roll. i'd go with The Stones '72 '73 personally on that one)
Number of original albums half of the stones 24 studio albums could disappear, or at least a third of them, and would make no quality difference
Band with greatest frontman James, Tina, Mick
Band that played live to the most people irrelevant; especially when stuffed into a football stadium a mile away from the stage;maybe the U.S> Marine band playing all those football games for many decades
Band with Greatest (and longest lasting) sidemen (and women) yeh they were smart enough to hire the best session cats, raid delaney and bonnie and the faces etc...a lot of people used those players;they fired the good ones when they wanted to be paid...they should have kept Mac and Mick T and even Bill acutally had they been allowed a piece and a prayer of meaningful contribution after awhile...two words chuck leavell. two more. oh no.

to me the Stones are far and away the best rock and roll band; the culmination and completion of every great thing and potential in so many different remarkabler directions...but i like to stay critical and hope you don't mind some perspective for fun...cause sometimes these things occur to me, tho they are my personal favorites...sometimes the hyperoonie doesn[t help me love them more...
i saw them twice in '72. i could see and hear everything great from up close. I truly know in my heart how great they are and am overwhelmed and humbled to have hem in my life...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-03 22:45 by hopkins.

Date: March 5, 2017 21:09

MrMibbs
do you like Bon Jovi

Anybody .. and I mean ANYBODY.. who likes anything about Bon Joki has zero music credibility

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 5, 2017 21:34

potus43
MrMibbs
do you like Bon Jovi

Anybody .. and I mean ANYBODY.. who likes anything about Bon Joki has zero music credibility

Living On A Prayer, You Give Love A Bad Name, Blaze Of Glory, Wanted Dead Or Alive, Bed Of Roses are brilliant songs.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 5, 2017 21:59

HMS
potus43
MrMibbs
do you like Bon Jovi

Living On A Prayer, You Give Love A Bad Name, Blaze Of Glory, Wanted Dead Or Alive, Bed Of Roses are brilliant songs.

Ouch....and I grew up in the same town as him; Sayreville, NJ. Maybe I was jealous that he made it but I could never stomach his music.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: March 5, 2017 22:01

HMS
potus43
MrMibbs
do you like Bon Jovi

I guess you want the Stones to team up with Desmond Child for their next album then?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home