Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Will The Rolling Stones ever perform live again?
Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: October 29, 2016 20:49

Touring is hard work. Even if they still enjoy playing live, the travel is hard. A 5 star hotel isn't as nice as being at home. Living out of a suitcase, away from family and friends, is not glamorous when you are away for months at a time. Olé was the last major tour. From now on, any live concerts will be a gift. They will never say, this is our final show. But any show could be their last. My guess is a few shows in Europe in 2017 and that may be it. Like Bjornulf said, if you can go see them, go, don't wait. Don't count on them coming to any given city. It has been a great run, and I don't want it to end, but we have to be realistic. Every day we are one day closer to the end, whenever that may be.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 29, 2016 20:52

georgelicks
festivals in Europe will be the next step on 2017 but not too many shows, about 6-8 shows at best

Some possible festivals and timeframe:

June 3-5
Rock In Vienna
Vienna, AUSTRIA

June 3-5
Pinkpop
Landgraaf, NETHERLANDS

June 8-10
Greenfield Festival
Interlaken, SWITZERLAND

June 15-17
Norwegian Wood
Oslo, NORWAY

June 19-21
INmusic Festival
Zagreb, CROATIA

June 24-July 1
Roskilde Festival
Roskilde, DENMARK

June 27-July 1
VOLT Fesztivál
Sopron, HUNGARY

June 28-July 1
Open'er Festival
Gdynia, POLAND

June 29-July 2
Rock Werchter
Werchter, BELGIUM

June 30-July 2
Main Square Festival
Arras, FRANCE

July 6-8
BBK Live
Bilbao, SPAIN

July 6-9
EXIT Festival
Novi Sad, SERBIA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-31 09:55 by erikjjf.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 29, 2016 21:09

Monsoon Ragoon
They were actually in India in 2003. And of course they will never play North Africa because you can't make millions of dollars there, and there is political instability in most countries. Maybe South Africa (the country) as part of a Pacific tour in 2018.

roundnround
Actually the Stones have played in Johannesburg, South Africa and also in Bangalore, India...

Date: October 29, 2016 21:13

georgelicks
The Stones will be slowing down from now on, the touring days are over, South Anerica was the last one, festivals in Europe will be the next step on 2017 but not too many shows, about 6-8 shows at best with Knebworth being one of them (it was in talks for two years now and it looks like next year will be the date) but STOP thinking about tours anymore, the boys are old and they don't want to be a caricature of themselves.

They will not promote any new album anymore, the die hard fans will buy their new stuff, who's gonna buy a covers album from the 50's other than old fans? Their new single didn't chart anywere, not even Europe, the music world is in other planet and the Stones are far from it.

As it is, the charts are basically obsolete: how does an act chart by having music available on YouTube, Spotify, Tidal, etc?

Billboard Magazine will probably be shut down at some point when the charts they keep inventing are finally accepted by the magazine as pointless.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 29, 2016 21:14

JadedFaded
Touring is hard work. Even if they still enjoy playing live, the travel is hard. A 5 star hotel isn't as nice as being at home. Living out of a suitcase, away from family and friends, is not glamorous when you are away for months at a time. Olé was the last major tour. From now on, any live concerts will be a gift. They will never say, this is our final show. But any show could be their last. My guess is a few shows in Europe in 2017 and that may be it. Like Bjornulf said, if you can go see them, go, don't wait. Don't count on them coming to any given city. It has been a great run, and I don't want it to end, but we have to be realistic. Every day we are one day closer to the end, whenever that may be.

HOWEVER:
Dylan continues to do 80+ gigs per annum.
Macca, Waters, Stewart and many others of similar age tour the world.

I'd put money on 80 year old Bill doing more gigs next year than 'superfit' Mick and Co.

Of course, if the motivation isn't there, it will grind to a halt.

Ironic that it was Mick's voice that suffered in the Desert.
I suspect that most people would have said Macca, Dylan or Daltrey would have been more likely to go under than Mick. And they have all done more concerts this year than Mick.

Date: October 29, 2016 21:20

People are suspecting Charlie as the reason for no more touring but I'm leaning towards it actually being Keith. Charlie hasn't wanted to tour since, what, 1981 was when he really let it be known but possibly before that he grumbled about it.

Yet he's always shown up. That's reason enough to think it's not Charlie. Ronnie, hell, he'd play every night if he could. But Keith, the head injury may be having other effects, yet alone everything else that doesn't need to be said for the 354th time.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 29, 2016 21:51

Pinkpop would be nice, might go to Bilbao and hungary.
jeroen

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 29, 2016 21:56

I really don't see them playing a place like Morocco. What I think they should do is three final concerts at Royal Albert Hall, stream all of them live - for free. Back to basics, no video screens. There was a Rod Stewart concert there about 10 years ago where Ronnie guests on a song or two. You can find the clips on YouTube. What a great vibe that place has, it would be perfect.

The blues album will not sell well, their days of being on the charts are long gone. As someone also mentioned, the charts are almost irrelevant these days and CDs barely sell. Taylor Swift can sell CDs, not many others can.

I have no record collection, (it's all in storage.) I never got into CDs. But I am a young enough 'old' guy to have many many gigabytes of the Rolling Stones on my computer. And, my 60" plasma TV is also a giant computer screen. The Rolling Stones live in my local cyberspace, and I grow tiny flowers in my little window sill.

Date: October 29, 2016 22:01

erikjjf
georgelicks
festivals in Europe will be the next step on 2017 but not too many shows, about 6-8 shows at best

Not feeling that at all. Festivals are really places for flaming youth, and I think that the "60s bands at festivals" thing has just about worn out its welcome already. 20-year-olds don't go to festivals to see 75-year-olds on stage.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: October 29, 2016 22:14

paulywaul
corriecas
if they will tour India, i will be there. Great country, good food and nice people.
Just want to hear from the stones themselves, that the end of touring is approaching.

jeroen

We all know it's 'approaching' ... that's kind of obvious. What I'm pretty sure we'll never ever hear is any kind of specific commentary from the Stones themselves on the subject of 'the end'. I suspect that deep down inside they all admit to themselves that playing live hasn't got that much longer to run, but I can hardly imagine they devote much time or energy thinking about it, least of all 'planning anything' in the way of one fabled 'last hurrah' - so to say !! They're earned the right by now to plan nothing more than a small clutch of shows here n' there, and that's pretty much what they've been doing ever since they emerged in November 2012. I don't imagine they extend their horizons to much beyond the immediate next run of shows. All that's likely to happen in my humble opinion, is that one fine day ... something will happen and there simply won't be that next small clutch of shows, for whatever reason. And that folks .... will have been it !

Ladies n' gentlemen, the Rolling Stones have left the stage. And for those of you that missed it ... THAT was rock n' roll !!

This is clearly correct. We will not know that the Stones have played their last show until long after the fact. Maybe they have played their last show and maybe not. I truly believe that the Stones themselves do not know today whether they will play again, whether they will tour again.

I believe it would be totally out of their character to do any sort of final show goodbye tour, anything ever announcing that this is it. We will know by the passage of time. Maybe they will prove me wrong and hold a big final blowout, pay per view, go all out, but I doubt it. I think that, regardless of anything else, they will forego that and they just won't play anymore when they can't or don't want to.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 29, 2016 22:17

"The Rolling Stones live in my local cyberspace, and I grow tiny flowers in my little window sill."
Does this mean pot? Very cool MileHigh, and maybe you're in Colo.

"Even if they still enjoy playing live, the travel is hard. A 5 star hotel isn't as nice as being at home. Living out of a suitcase, away from family and friends, is not glamorous when you are away for months at a time."
Amen. I actually hate traveling. Who likes flying/ lines/ waste of time/ germs/
Are people traveling less?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 29, 2016 22:29

MileHigh
erikjjf
georgelicks

Not feeling that at all. Festivals are really places for flaming youth, and I think that the "60s bands at festivals" thing has just about worn out its welcome already. 20-year-olds don't go to festivals to see 75-year-olds on stage.

The cost of doing festivals is zero, no crew, no stage, no sound, a warhorse setlist works good for young/tourists, big crowds, 100% of the money goes to their pockets with no cost at all.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 29, 2016 22:41

Mick's been 'living out of a suitcase' for 50 years.
Keith is probably more settled there in Connecticut now, but even he is moving around a lot, and has a legendary ability to make himself at home wherever he is.
Charlie is said to hate travel.
Ronnie will just show up when he gets the phone call.
I think what might keep them going in 2017 is the machinery of the Stones -- all those people in their employ need to be kept busy if they are going to stay on the payroll. And kids and grandkids still need the nannies and monthly checks.
If the blues record actually sells, that would be incentive to play a little more.
If they all live in London I could see them playing more shows in England and around Europe.
Mick might actually be the weak link, as fit as he is. He has the most demanding job and he might decide to stop if he doesn't feel he can deliver a great show. Not being able to go in Vegas may have been distressing.
Lot of ifs. I'm just speculating like anybody else.
I agree I don't think they will announce any last tour or set of shows. I think somebody we'll just realize it's been a couple of years and it's all over.
Be nice for us, though, to see them take that final bow.

Date: October 29, 2016 22:50

35love
"The Rolling Stones live in my local cyberspace, and I grow tiny flowers in my little window sill."
Does this mean pot? Very cool MileHigh, and maybe you're in Colo.

No, not in Colo. My handle just popped into my head on the spur of the moment. For the "tiny flowers," I was just borrowing a line from the song 2000 Man.

But I swear the Rolling Stones are smoking pot in the song It's Only Rock'n'Roll! lol

Date: October 29, 2016 22:54

georgelicks
The cost of doing festivals is zero, no crew, no stage, no sound, a warhorse setlist works good for young/tourists, big crowds, 100% of the money goes to their pockets with no cost at all.

I agree but what I am suggesting is that the promoters aren't going to want them because the attendees won't want to see them.

Crazy example: It's 1971 and you are 20 years old. Would you like to go to a rock festival to see an old band that was in its prime in 1926?

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: October 29, 2016 23:02

MileHigh
georgelicks

I agree but what I am suggesting is that the promoters aren't going to want them because the attendees won't want to see them.

Crazy example: It's 1971 and you are 20 years old. Would you like to go to a rock festival to see an old band that was in its prime in 1926?
That is ridiculous as Rock n Roll did not exist in 1926. There were no legends of the genre going in 1926.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 29, 2016 23:07

MileHigh

The kids in 1971 wouldn't have even turned out for Elvis.

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: October 29, 2016 23:19

stone4ever
Send It To me
Hard to believe they will never go back to NYC.

If this is true, I suspect the reason is that Charlie is done.

If Charlie is done as you put it, would Mick and Keith replace him this late in the day. Its a question i have been asking myself for years, i actually think they would, we have seen recently what Mick and Keith will do for more money.
I for one wouldn't hold it against them if they carried on without Charlie, they are a bit younger than him, and obviously still really enjoy playing live.
Look at the Who, only two original members left and they are having a blast.
Not a chance, Charlie is the heart and soul of this band. No Charlie- No Rolling Stones

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 29, 2016 23:26

georgelicks
The Stones will be slowing down from now on, the touring days are over, South Anerica was the last one, festivals in Europe will be the next step on 2017 but not too many shows, about 6-8 shows at best with Knebworth being one of them (it was in talks for two years now and it looks like next year will be the date) but STOP thinking about tours anymore, the boys are old and they don't want to be a caricature of themselves.

They will not promote any new album anymore, the die hard fans will buy their new stuff, who's gonna buy a covers album from the 50's other than old fans? Their new single didn't chart anywere, not even Europe, the music world is in other planet and the Stones are far from it.

Sad but true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-29 23:28 by KRiffhard.

Date: October 29, 2016 23:27

geordiestone
MileHigh
georgelicks

That is ridiculous as Rock n Roll did not exist in 1926. There were no legends of the genre going in 1926.

You have to bend reality. Dick Clark is still alive and he's lining up Elvis for New Year's Rockin' Eve 2017.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 29, 2016 23:40

GasLightStreet
People are suspecting Charlie as the reason for no more touring but I'm leaning towards it actually being Keith. Charlie hasn't wanted to tour since, what, 1981 was when he really let it be known but possibly before that he grumbled about it.

Yet he's always shown up. That's reason enough to think it's not Charlie. Ronnie, hell, he'd play every night if he could. But Keith, the head injury may be having other effects, yet alone everything else that doesn't need to be said for the 354th time.

This is a very interesting post Gaslight and right in the money imho.
If Charlie was the reason they have come to a stop, i would imagine Mick and Keith would replace him if they still wanted to do more shows and tour a bit more.
If its one person calling a halt to this, its got to be keith, no Stones as the Stones without Mick or keith, and we know Micks in good shape, so i'm sticking my neck out here and saying keith is the reason this has come to an end, if this is the case. Question is , is it because of poor health, or does he just want to pursue his home life with a growing loving family around him, or who knows , he may well want to pursue some more solo work. I think also the body language between Mick and keith at the last few shows had a very supportive air to it, they kept smiling at each other and encouraging each other, maybe they new these gigs were the last time for some reason, who knows, we can only speculate.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 29, 2016 23:40

Please do the UK next year.

Read an article regarding the who and Roger Daley said his voice was affected by the desert concerts.

Please let's consider their ages and we are so lucky still to see them.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 29, 2016 23:55

georgelicks

Yes but would they spend weeks rehearsing to get going for some festivals ? They do seem to be getting rusty pretty quick these days and it's not illogical. Still if they want to keep on playing that's certainly a possibility. Question is why didn't they do that for DT ? Maybe they had the crew and band on some kind of retainer until the end of 2016 ?

As for the op, hasn't bv been saying the same thing (catch them while you can) since at least the beginning of 2014? At one point that prediction will come true, so be it.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Al65 ()
Date: October 29, 2016 23:57

They didn't play because mick couldn't sing Kieth was upset show was cancelled and pushing for reschedule.There is no reason to suggest Kieth has called time on the stones.This is just the same circumstances as hanging rock ,if more dates were planned they would have played them it's just unfortunate it happened on a small tour.Sure we all known they will not play forever and any show could be their last but there's no need to panic over this cancellation

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 30, 2016 00:04

Al65
They didn't play because mick couldn't sing Kieth was upset show was cancelled and pushing for reschedule.There is no reason to suggest Kieth has called time on the stones.This is just the same circumstances as hanging rock ,if more dates were planned they would have played them it's just unfortunate it happened on a small tour.Sure we all known they will not play forever and any show could be their last but there's no need to panic over this cancellation

I am just speculating and doing the Maths, its looking that its Keith from a logical perspective, he is on some serious medication, it could be catching up with him. Whats this about Keith being upset because show was cancelled, where did you hear that if you don't mind me asking.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 30, 2016 00:05

wonderboy
Mick's been 'living out of a suitcase' for 50 years.
Keith is probably more settled there in Connecticut now, but even he is moving around a lot, and has a legendary ability to make himself at home wherever he is.
Charlie is said to hate travel.
Ronnie will just show up when he gets the phone call.
I think what might keep them going in 2017 is the machinery of the Stones -- all those people in their employ need to be kept busy if they are going to stay on the payroll. And kids and grandkids still need the nannies and monthly checks.
If the blues record actually sells, that would be incentive to play a little more.
If they all live in London I could see them playing more shows in England and around Europe.
Mick might actually be the weak link, as fit as he is. He has the most demanding job and he might decide to stop if he doesn't feel he can deliver a great show. Not being able to go in Vegas may have been distressing.
Lot of ifs. I'm just speculating like anybody else.
I agree I don't think they will announce any last tour or set of shows. I think somebody we'll just realize it's been a couple of years and it's all over.
Be nice for us, though, to see them take that final bow.
thumbs up

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 30, 2016 00:16

There's a lot of talk about the Stones possibly touring behind a new album.

I personally don't expect the Stones to release an album next year, as it would be very strange for the band to release studio albums in consecutive years.

Don't hang your hat on a new album; we know that time has been spent in the studio but, given the comments by Don Was, could it not be that, whatever their original intentions in the studio, Blue & Lonesome was the only result?

No matter with regard to live performances, as at this stage the Stones do not need a record to tour behind. I've said it before, but I do think that if all four are physically able, there will be a show in 2022. Between now and then is anybody's guess, but I imagine there will be some shows in 2017 at least. The money shows generate in terms of take-home pay for the four Stones is simply too great to turn down.

Olly.

Date: October 30, 2016 00:23

keithsman
Al65

I am just speculating and doing the Maths, its looking that its Keith from a logical perspective, he is on some serious medication, it could be catching up with him. Whats this about Keith being upset because show was cancelled, where did you hear that if you don't mind me asking.
believe it or not he told me

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: October 30, 2016 00:25

A few random thoughts related to the Subject;

If they ever come back to North America again, I would be surprised.
We were hoping this 2016 tour was a chance to hit NY, Chicago...a few other markets they love to play. The single show in Vegas, and Micks unfortunate laryngitis didn't feel like a proper way for The Stones to say so long to North America.

The last show in North America being a private show for a bunch of bigwigs..that never heard of JIGSAW PUZZLE sorta feels like crap.

They have been working pretty hard the past couple of years, for their age that's for sure.

Maybe they will get a feeling after Europe to visit a few shows in America...they owe themselves that.

I mean do fans like us want to hear The Stones say thanks at the end of a show, thank you for supporting them, and following them all over the world or do they even think that would be appropriate?

Date: October 30, 2016 00:27

Al65
keithsman
Al65

believe it or not he told me

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home