Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: Will The Rolling Stones ever perform live again?
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 29, 2016 02:02

RaiseTheKnife
This is nothing to be feel sad about. I don't want to see an eighty year old Mick Jagger with a weak voice and feel like ''he used to be so good''. It's better to let everything has it time. There's still plenty of relevant material in the vaults. They're still sounding decent but I would rather see them retire than see them become a exhibition act like Chuck Berry.

In that respect i wish they has retired last year, 2016 has seen a decline in their performances. Especially Ronnie, he was poor in SA, but the year before he was as good as ever.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 29, 2016 02:20

TheflyingDutchman
bv
I have said it again and again since 2012... You need to go to a Stones show NOW if you want to see them live. Don't wait until later. May be there will be no more later.

Several sources do say this was the last time they played live in North America. May be. May be not.

May be they will do a few shows in Europe next year. May be they want to do something in Africa and India. May be. May be not.

The great shows The Rolling Stones have been performing over the years since 2012 and all the way up to now prove the fact that they are still relevant, but please do not take their live shows for granted.

Yes, star crossed in pleasure the stream flows on by
Yes, as we're sated in leisure, we watch it fly
And time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me
And time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me

And it all ended with a great Mick Taylor solo. That would be a worthy end for the Rolling Stones.

That would be the proper way to go out with a bang rather than a whimper.
Hopefully Bill will be invited as well. thumbs up

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: October 29, 2016 02:20

The Worst, I agree with you. The Stones have never played North Africa, and since Morocco has played a role in their musical history, it would seem natural.
Last time I was in Morocco I saw many Stones bumper stickers on vehicles and tongue shirts. It would be a huge event and they would get a great response.
As the people would say, "inshallah."

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 29, 2016 03:19

The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World.

And think about it, with the way music has been subdivided into more and more and narrower and narrower genres and sub-genres, rock and roll is not the same dominant musical force it once was. In fact it's a quasi spent force. So even a big rock band in this era is not nearly as big as the big bands were in the 60s and 70s. So what is the implication?

This:

The Greatest Rock and Roll Band of all Time.

No kidding. In 300 years from now people will still be aware of the Rolling Stones and listen to them, I am convinced of that.

Here is my suggestion. Presumably since 2012 every video camera in use at the shows was a quality HD digital camera and everything is archived on hard drives. Likewise all of the audio was digitally multi-track recorded.

That's a mountain of audio and video data. The Stones need to hire a director and producer and an audio engineer and some support people to wade though all of that data and pick out all of the cherries, the best of the best. Then spend a year to make a "best blended concert" or a five Bluray set or something along those lines. Create an amazing visual and auditory document of the best of the best from the past five years and release that. That would be a great gift to the fans.

Beyond that, I can only envision them playing a final gig or a final limited run of gigs at the Royal Albert Hall. Charge 10 pounds a ticket and set up some kind of fair and egalitarian lottery system for the tickets. Broadcast at least one of the shows for free around the world and stream it live over the Internet in HD.

I don't care if the blues cover album is the last album, I am fine with that.

For me this adventure started in September 1971. I am a little sad, but not ready to shed a tear just yet. If they issue a press release saying it's all over I might, but I somehow doubt it. They are old now, and I am just 15 years behind the pack. So it's fitting at this point, not something to shed a tear over, but you never know.

Date: October 29, 2016 03:44

MisterDDDD
DEmerson
Somebody else used the phrase, and it's one that's gone through my head recently, if Gillette (down the road from me) in front of a few hundred millionaires, while not rescheduling Vegas #1 was it: This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
Folks can, and will, stick up for the way things were handled and the circumstances etc. But for me - I lost a LOT of respect for the band that I've loved with all my heart since I was 5 years old over the past couple of weeks.

Funny.
I actually gained respect for them.
Specifically Mick. Was at the rail during DT2 and saw/heard him struggling.

And Vegas one essentially was rescheduled (plenty of seats available for it)
It was called.. Vegas 2 (Oct. 22nd).

Cheers.

Surely you're not saying that everyone who had tickets for the 19th (including VIP tix) would have been able to get their same seats for the 22nd?confused smiley
To call the 22nd essentially the rescheduled show is a bit of a stretch. Sure people could have gone had they chose to, but the 19th wasn't officially cancelled until after the 22nd.
Many may have been holding out for a true rescheduled show rather than exchanging their prime tickets for something less.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 29, 2016 04:02

Hairball
Surely you're not saying that everyone who had tickets for the 19th (including VIP tix) would have been able to get their same seats for the 22nd?confused smiley
To call the 22nd essentially the rescheduled show is a bit of a stretch. Sure people could have gone had they chose to, but the 19th wasn't officially cancelled until after the 22nd.
Many may have been holding out for a true rescheduled show rather than exchanging their prime tickets for something less.

Obviously not literally. (although they made it clear that if I wanted to exchange they would have tried to get similar to me and many others)

Just saying..
There was a not sold out Rolling Stones show 3 nights after the canceled one.

Not like they left town.

PS
The "officially cancelled" clause that affected peoples choice on refunds were after-market/broker tix. Not official ones.Face value on tix in hand were available the morning after the cancelled show.. long before official cancellation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-29 04:05 by MisterDDDD.

Date: October 29, 2016 04:14

Hairball
MisterDDDD
DEmerson
Somebody else used the phrase, and it's one that's gone through my head recently, if Gillette (down the road from me) in front of a few hundred millionaires, while not rescheduling Vegas #1 was it: This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
Folks can, and will, stick up for the way things were handled and the circumstances etc. But for me - I lost a LOT of respect for the band that I've loved with all my heart since I was 5 years old over the past couple of weeks.

Funny.

Cheers.

As someone who was at the Oct. 22nd show, I say it was a letdown and you're lucky if you were refunded. It was the first time it felt I was watching them 'contractually fulfill an obligation'. Mick was not up for it. It would have been better to postpone both.

Date: October 29, 2016 04:31

FirstTimeSeattle81
Hairball
MisterDDDD
DEmerson

Funny.

Cheers.

As someone who was at the Oct. 22nd show, I say it was a letdown and you're lucky if you were refunded. It was the first time it felt I was watching them 'contractually fulfill an obligation'. Mick was not up for it. It would have been better to postpone both.

I didn't have tickets for the 19th or the 22nd, but arrived in Vegas on the 20th for my wife's birthday with little to no intention of seeing the Stones.
Held out and contemplated until late that saturday afternoon (the 22nd), and as luck would have it found a pair on stubhub at $269/per ticket for the rear floor.
Was happy to be there, and my wife was totally surprised, but even at that bargain bin price the show was a letdown by Stones standards.
A quick 18 songs seemingly went by in the blink of an eye, and with Mick not willing to give it his all in order to save some for the private show, it simply wasn't up to snuff.
The Desert Trip I show (as inferior as it may have been) was more exciting, and even Desert Trip 2 where Mick began to lose it at the end was better - at least they seemed to give it their all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-29 04:31 by Hairball.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 29, 2016 04:31

I thought after "Old-Chella" they were playing Coachella, No?

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: October 29, 2016 04:36

I truly believe that they will "rock until they drop"(by that i mean Mick & Keith),even if its only several gigs in a given year...if they can they will...sad to say it is true that "nothing lasts forever"....but it has been a great ffnn ride with this band....& i'm sooo glad that i have seen/witnessed/been consumed by the Greatest Rock n'Roll band EVER.....always looking forward to the next gig/boot/collectable purchase.....

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 29, 2016 04:54

There is a posting on the Fan Wall in the Rolling Stones App by the owner of a well known bar, that Chuck Leavell was on the radio in Melbourne, don't know why, and said that the Stones will play in Australia in 2018

Rod

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 29, 2016 05:23

bitusa2012
There is a posting on the Fan Wall in the Rolling Stones App by the owner of a well known bar, that Chuck Leavell was on the radio in Melbourne, don't know why, and said that the Stones will play in Australia in 2018

I probably read a review of Satanic Majesties in the mid 1970s that was written in 1967. The reviewer commented on 2000 Man and made a wry comment about how if the Rolling Stones toured in 2000 it would be the "first ever tour by a 60-year-old rock and roll band."

And to think that we have almost burnt trough 20% of the 21st century. Where are the flying cars? And nobody really considered the possibility that we would be walking around with Jetsons' communicator/supercomputers in our pockets.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 29, 2016 06:10

stone4ever
bv
I have been following The Rolling Stones close since 1971. Over the years there have been times I have spend more time on Stones than on family and friends. That is still the situation. What I do know is that they will not tour forever. I talk to hundreds of close friends and contacts on tours and off tours. I never say anything based on one or a few sources.

They might still do a few shows in selected places, may be even in North America, but as time go by, the touring days will be over. It is sad for many, because The Rolling Stones are part of our lives, but I just want to prepare people. Let us cross our fingers and hope Mick and Keith and Charlie and Ronnie wake up one morning and call each other and arrange for another tour, another show, another tour, another tour...

thumbs upthumbs up That's more like it BV. We can only live in hope, but if this is the end, Wow what a ride its been, a story more unbelievable than the wildest imagination of any fiction writer, maybe they have a few chapters left for us. smiling smiley

I don't think you get it, he is not passing on optimism, he is pretty much saying that it is just about over, if not over already pending announcement. Pay attention to what the man is saying. Maybe it's health, or illness, or maybe they can't do it or don't want to do it anymore. It sounds like the end of the line fellas.

Date: October 29, 2016 07:58

stone4ever
RaiseTheKnife
This is nothing to be feel sad about. I don't want to see an eighty year old Mick Jagger with a weak voice and feel like ''he used to be so good''. It's better to let everything has it time. There's still plenty of relevant material in the vaults. They're still sounding decent but I would rather see them retire than see them become a exhibition act like Chuck Berry.

In that respect i wish they has retired last year, 2016 has seen a decline in their performances. Especially Ronnie, he was poor in SA, but the year before he was as good as ever.

I thought Ronnie sounded very good in Vegas and Indio. To my ears anyway..

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: October 29, 2016 08:45

Marakesh would be good and something different. It does grate on me that they play in the USA so much . Please Mick Keith Charlie and Ronnie it's our turn!!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 29, 2016 10:06

Yes I think they will play live again. In my opinion it all comes down to the
health of the four band members. This of course could change at any moment and maybe there is something we don't know as well. Hopefully the new blues Album will be successful which could also get them Back on the road. I am sorry to hear that there is some truth to the last show Rumors.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 29, 2016 10:33

stone4ever
RaiseTheKnife

What show or shows did you go to on the Latin American tour?

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 29, 2016 10:49

Ridiculous. They may not play THAT much more, but 100% there will be more shows. I guarantee they play NY and MSG one last time. I could see the next two years being it, but then again who knows. 10 years ago we thought it was done and they still seem fine now. I think it'll just be less, but no way have we seen the final show.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 29, 2016 11:09

DandelionPowderman
stone4ever
RaiseTheKnife

He wasn't as good in South Africa as he was last year.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-29 12:44 by keithsman.

Date: October 29, 2016 11:15

Nate
stone4ever
RaiseTheKnife

What show or shows did you go to on the Latin American tour?

Nate thumbs up

YouTube shows enough without being there, you still hear the bum notes and shity solos lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-29 11:20 by keithsman.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 29, 2016 11:29

I think the issue at this stage in their carreer is that, ,sooner rather than later, things will need either to be scaled down or to stop.

I'm not sure that the huge machine that's been the Stones for last 35 years or so could get its head around scale down.

I'm sure that to a large degree they still play for the love of it... but scaling down the whole thing would require a very different model and mind set.

[That said. For the many years that I've been expressing a wish for them to do a Blues album, I never really believed they do it.
I'd love to wrong again winking smiley ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-29 11:47 by Spud.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 29, 2016 11:53

TeddyB1018
As BV would say (and did say), you never know. Still, it would seem odd to me that their closest friends wouldn't be at at a farewell, even a farewell to the U.S. They're secretive, but not that secretive. When they finished the Bigger Bang tour in London, that was treated as a possible farewell. On the other hand, Mick and Keith do seem very nostalgic. I think this entire "tour" was only created around the staggering offer Goldenvoice made for Desert Trip, and any talk of a "tour" around these shows was tenuous. The private events helped pay the cast and crew for lost money that could have been made doing more shows.

Why would they 'lose money from doing more shows' ??
I don't understand.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 29, 2016 12:05

They were actually in India in 2003. And of course they will never play North Africa because you can't make millions of dollars there, and there is political instability in most countries. Maybe South Africa (the country) as part of a Pacific tour in 2018.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-29 12:06 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 29, 2016 12:12

The most important thing to consider is this:

1) We are talking now about the end of the performing/touring days of the Stones because of what some fat cat millionaire supposedly said before a crowd of hundreds (as quoted by a dubious lowbrow tabloid).

a) Was anyone there that heard that for certain and could verify it?

b) Has Mr. Krafty been contacted for a follow-up to verify this as fact?

c) Have the Stones or their organization been contacted to verify this? It would seem that this would be big news, wouldn't it?

You mean the Stones are retiring, and no one but a third rate roll of toilet paper like the Boston Herald knows it? I think not.

Bill Wyman's still playin', and he's eighty! Only reason he hasn't covered much ground in the last twenty years is because he says he doesn't want to fly.

And all this talk of money. Well, suppose each of the Stones have another 20 or more years to live. People talk about their millions. Well, millions ain't what they used to be. $1 million in 2016 was only worth $533.136.03 in 1990, and $1 million will only mean half as much in 2036. The longer they go, the less they make. The millions mean less and less, so they'll just keep stockpiling what they can.

Even if you're Rolling Stones, a lifestyle of that magnitude cannot be maintained without a certain amount of work.

They know it, and you should, too.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: October 29, 2016 12:12

To Mansoon Ragoon: They couldn't make millions in Cuba either. But a free show funded by sponsors can happen anywhere. In contrast to its neighbours, Morocco is probably the most stable and liberal country in the Arabic world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-29 12:13 by The Worst..

Posted by: stonesfrkk ()
Date: October 29, 2016 12:23

FirstTimeSeattle81
Hairball
MisterDDDD
DEmerson

Funny.

Cheers.

I agree 100% they were supposed to reschedule the first Vegas show the 19th in early November from what I heard from a good source. That said you are right they should have cancelled the 22nd too, they knew they had that private gig to play that way Jagger could of rested his voice basically another week and the private gig in Boston would of been more or less a warm up gig for the 2 show's in Vegas that could of been rescheduled for early November if there going to stop playing and they could of had 2 blow out show's the right way and rolled right into the exhibitionism. That would of been the way to go out if they plan on stopping that way they would of went out with a Bang not a Whimper. Not going out half a#$ and like a dog with it's tail between it's legs this would be a horrible way to go out not like the way they played there whole lives just my opinion.

Date: October 29, 2016 12:40

If the Stones are going to bow out in an organised way it will be in London, not in front of 200 non fan's at some fat cat's private party.
What could have caused this alleged abrupt finish to playing live in this way would have to be a decision based on poor health of one of the band members. Otherwise it's just a case of when Mick wants to do some shows he will call Keith and bingo we're away again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-29 12:56 by keithsman.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 29, 2016 13:18

BV said it ....... catch 'em where/when/how you can.

Life is fickle, life is strange, people age, people lose interest in the relentless grind of touring, illness strikes, all sorts of s**t happens to thwart one's life plans. It could ... all crater at any moment. Not being melodramatic, but lets get real - it could ! As Chuck said ... 'ya never can tell' !

As a Londoner, and the Stones originating from London (regardless of what they've morphed into over the years), I personally think it's time they put in one or several long overdue appearances in 'sleepy ole London town' ! That's what I'm hoping for in 2017 in any case ......

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: October 29, 2016 13:46

Everyone is contradicting themselves here, either one of them is sick and there will be no more shows in 2017,not ever, or they are fine, they just don't have immediate plans for the future. I would say that Ronnie and Mick appear to be in great shape, so it's down to Keith or Charlie. I just wish we new more about what could be tragic news.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-29 13:53 by keithsman.

Date: October 29, 2016 14:03

keithsman
DandelionPowderman
stone4ever
RaiseTheKnife

He wasn't as good in South Africa as he was last year.

Yet it's still 2016 smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home